Questions for my first FE5 playthrough

Hello,

I'm playing FE5 for the first time and currently playing chapter 8x.

Since Thracia 776 is the hardest FE game, I want to make my life as comfortable as possible.

I have two skill scrolls already (elite + wrath), but I'm not quite sure, who shall get them.

My plan was to give wrath to Nanna, because she can heal 3x, whenever she does a critical. Leaf with his light sword would also be a nice idea against the bosses, who have ridiculous defense boost.

Though I have no idea, who to give elite. I was thinking to give it to Olwen, but it still lasts a few chapters till I'll get her. I'd like to use it already to get more exp. in earlygame.

My current main team:

• Leaf
  • Othin
  • Havan
  • Nanna
  • Safy
  • Fargus
  • Hicks (?)
  • Tanya (?)
  • Asvel
  • Lifis (only used in chapters with doors / chests)
  • Fin
  • Karen (?)

?= not sure

Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

Well, I can definitely say that you should not give Wrath to anyone with Ambush/Vantage since Wrath only triggers if the unit attacks second, which means Wrath can't trigger if Ambush triggers.

I'd say that you have a good idea with Leaf and Nanna since they are not exactly offensive powerhouses otherwise but I would like to propose Karin as well. Her attack power also leaves a bit to be desired and she might operate far away from the rest of the team since she is your only flier for most of the game, so it's good for her to have the means to reliably kill.

Edited by BrightBow

Thx!

Yeah, I realized that ambush (vanatage) and wrath can't be activated at the same time, so Havan withdraws.

The problem of giving wrath to Nanna could be that several bosses will oneshot her due to her low HP and defense.

Wrath shall be used as a bosskiller and I'm not sure, if Nanna is tanky enough against them.

Karin is underleveled at this point. Her issue is that I've almost no short lances in my inventory (mainly long and javelin). Since she starts with E in lances I can't use her much mounted.

The game is extremely hard regardless who you give the scrolls to. It will make it easier, but only slightly, so it's not too important. Overall give them to units you are either sure you plan to use forever or to some you have some strategy in mind for(like what you thought for nanna which isn't a bad idea at all, especially with the earth sword healing everything back in a crit). Give elite to someone you like. For me that was Finn. Or you can hold onto it until you get some low level unit you want to train faster, as your current team is quite high level technically.

crits are 2x atk and not 3x damage in this game

Whoops... thx! That answers my question, why enemies survived crits, because I assumed that they do triple damage like in other FE games.

Thx for your tips!

I gave elite to Karin and

wrath to Leaf, for that reason, because it makes some bosses easier for me. Since they have massive defense boosts on the throne Leaf's light sword can do lots of damage to them, if it attacks from 2 range.

Also got the elite sword in 9. I always will give it to the unit with thr lowest level. Carion got tons of levels in ch. 9.

I assume that elite + elite sword won't give you 4x experience, will you? More than gaining 100 exp. isn't possible anyway.

I usually give Elite to Mareeta or Linoan because I'm biased and I like them to catch up fast.

Elite Sword and Elite Skill do not stack (holding the sword gives you the skill), so don't give the sword to someone who already has the skill.

Wrath on Leaf is pretty kick ass against armor bosses. Light sword still has a pretty decent hitrate against them.

Haven't regretted this choice yet.

Elite on Karin wasn't the best choice tbh so far, because she couldn't do all the much except for weaking the enemies. Most of my units can orko everyone (except for capturing).

I decided to make this topic more generic, because I have questions about other things:

The strength of Karin is stuck despite giving her neir and hezel scroll.

cAMzCnm.png

Does a (early) promotion make sense? The caps won't be increased as far as I know.

O9awTGC.png

Asvel is close to level 20, who'll max out speed probably. The first character I'm going to promote.

VQmi0Wh.png

I want to pump all the srolls into Carion. My thought is to give him many good level ups with his elite sword. A plausible idea?

I think Carrion is a nice character to invest in. Being mounted is always cool but he also has a PCC of 4 which makes it easy for him to have a 100% rate for critical hits, especially if Leaf and maybe Selphina are around. And he can use swords while mounted (also his sword ranks gets raised by his promotion), so he is not as crippled as other mounts if he has to go indoors.

Edited by BrightBow

Honestly the only scrolls that would matter for Carrion are ones that boost durability, which is primarily the Dain and Heim scroll (+30% def, +30% mag). Pair it with the baldo, neir and sety scrolls and you get a hefty 45% def and 40% mag growth boost, lifting his natural def growth from 25% to 70% and mag from 10% to 50%. At that rate, he will cap defence on average at 20/1 and have 11 mag at that level.

Since enemies in the game are generally pathetic (and Sety scroll gives +30% spd anyway) and Carrion has good offensive bases & growths, he will have no trouble ORKOing enemies with generic weapons like iron swords, especially on enemy phase with the PCC of 4 as BrightBow mentioned. Then since magic in this game corresponds to both magic power and resistance, Carrion will have godly offence with elemental based swords. His capped defence will make him invincible to physical attacks while his high mag combined with a holy water / M Up make him invincible to magic attacks. Really, there's not much more you can ask of a fighting unit, and he can achieve this status in like 2 seconds because of the elite sword, only having to wait until chapter 12 for the final scroll (Dain) to be available.

Now do the same scroll management I just described for a unit like Sara or Homer (magic users with elite) for extra ridiculousness. Just to give you an idea, 20/1 Homer ends up with 15 def at 20/1. That's just 2 points less than Xavier (a high level pre-promote general) and he's a freaking mage! Meanwhile, Sara gains 30-80 exp per staff use and has 12 def at 20/1, 1 less than base level Dean.

I find Tina is a great candidate for the elite manual. However, scrolls and skill manuals really aren't a big deal since the enemies in FE5 are very weak and the game gives you more than enough resources to breeze through. Just give skills to whichever units you happen to like, particularly if they don't already have something which makes them good. Even subpar units will become incredibly overpowered after a few level ups.

Like in most FE games, I find players usually have trouble when they handicap themselves by not using the powerful units the game gives you (e.g. Dagda and Dean), by delaying their units' promotions, and by hoarding good weapons and staves. Aside from that it helps to understand how the game's mechanics work. It's very unlikely that you'll find youself sufferring from a lack of stats or skills and there's usually several possible solutions to any problems you may encounter.

In my first run I don't want to change that much from chapter to chapter, except when I have to.

However I still use new allies with low level, if they have great skills like Marita or a personal weapon like Olwen. I'm definitely going to use Sara as well, when I get her, because she has three awesome skills.

I gave the stealable / capturable ambush scroll from chapter 12 to Olwen, so dimethunder can orko most of the enemies before she'll get attacked.

Meanwhile I'm in a phase in this game (ch. 14), where my units are overleveled. However since FE5 has a complete different RNG it's still possible to lose some of my units.

Is it recommended to repair the thief stave? I have three uses left (used for light sword and elite sword).

The Thief Staff is definitely one of the best things you can repair due to all the good stuff you can get out of it.

Don't repair the Unlock Staff. You can get more of those later on.

Thx guys for your supports!

Anyway I'm going to play 17b.

I repaired the thief stave; have one more use left.

Nanna's earth sword and Finn's brave lance are going to break very soon. Tend to reapir the earth sword.

Got the luna skill in 16b. Who should get this? I was thinking to give it to a combat unit with low strength.

Fergus has very low strength for his level (already promoted). So maybe giving it to him?

Have you considered using Ralf for some missions?

He's actually a very good, and underrated unit, he's especially good at filling in.

I must admit that I couldn't recruit him.

Visited the church in turn two and I absolute had no idea that it'll end this chapter.

Didn't restart for it. (could do it, when I'm going to play the A-route).

Also left Shanam in chapter 16b alone, because his bases were pathetic for his class and level.

I noticed too late that I missed another recruitment in this chapter, which has the consequence that I won't get another character later on.

Damn it!

Of the lower leveled units I'm going to use Sara and Linoan.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Shanam is good for buying a lot of stuff since he has Bargain, but if it's your first run you probably won't be buying much anyway so it's no biggie that you missed him. The characters you missed are bad or okay; you'll live without recruiting them. Sara and Linoan are amazing units at any level of play, definitely the some of the best low lvl units in any FE. In fact, you can just promote them at 10 since the stat gains of their class are bonkers and Sara gets A staves from it at base.

Also did you consider repairing Asvel's Grafcalibur? It'll make killing some bosses a lot easier and Finn/Nanna probably don't need their weps much at this point.

Shanam is good for buying a lot of stuff since he has Bargain, but if it's your first run you probably won't be buying much anyway so it's no biggie that you missed him.

Didn't pay attention to his skills tbh. And yeah, I actually haven't buy anything yet (however this skill would be nice for a secret shop).

Also did you consider repairing Asvel's Grafcalibur? It'll make killing some bosses a lot easier and Finn/Nanna probably don't need their weps much at this point.

Have repaired it in ch. 14 already, so I'll have enough uses left till the end.

Repaired Leaf's light sword, elite sword (probably bad idea), grafcalibur and thief stave.

I've a question about chapter 22:

I must fight Rinehart, who can destroy everyone with his dime thunder, if double is activated.

Only Sara could do something against him because of wrath and prayer (must give her a magic shield anyway)

Is it possible to steal dime thunder with Tina's thief stave, if she uses a holy water / m up to get >20 magic?

However I think the hitrate will be pretty bad since the enemies benefit by leadership stars.

I also know to silence Cyan four times before the fight. The real boss Coen restores her, probably before Rinehart will attack, so she could heal him with fortify after the battle.

You can use Magic Up/Pure Water to steal a person's items if their Magic is 20, Rinehart is no exception. Staff hit rates are unaffected by Leadership Stars, so go steal his junk.

You can also Warp someone into the area immediately surrounding Coen and his castle and attack him, then Rescue that character away. Saias will immediately flee the map, though the bridge will be removed as a result, so you'll need a flier to continue crossing if you don't want to have Leif Warpskip.

Alright, many thanks! :)

That made this chapter a lot easier!

Had to wait till Cyas disappeared, because I didn't have a warp stave; got one in this chapter.

Through arena abusing I brought Tina's magic up to 14 to reach 21 by using holy water. Stole Rinehart's dime thunder and Coen's blizzard.

The thing is that I don't have a thief stave anymore. Will I regret it later?

Completed chapter 23.

Two questions:

1. What's with Sety? According to this site http://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/characters/recruitment/ he shall appear as a NPC and is recruitable. However in my case he left the map before I started the chapter. Did I miss something?
  2. What's the point of letting all the civilians escape? I got absolute nothing for it! No item or weapon and there's no 23x.