General US Politics

Ansem

Obama pardoned Chelsea Manning.  I'm not sure if any more pardons are planned, but I was hoping he'd pardon Snowden, unlikely as that would be.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Shortened sentence, not pardon, I believe.  That's why Assange is being petulant about leaving Ecuador or something.

Yeah, you're right, poor choice of words on my part.

1 hour ago, Excellen Browning said:

Can you pardon someone who has not been sentenced? May seem like a technicality but these sorts of things matter in law.

Yep, the president can.  Ford pardoned Nixon for everything he might have done before any charges were ever brought against him.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/20/trump-s-whitehouse-gov-disappears-civil-rights-climate-change-lgbt-rights.html?via=twitter_page

hahahaha

not issues anymore, guys

let's just hope they are remodelling the site on these very specific pages, oh, who am I kidding

Edited by Tryhard

Instead we have such humdingers as Making Our Military Strong again (as if the U.S. doesn't already have the world's largest and strongest military, on which billions of funding is spent alone in tackling rust in equipment) and Standing Up For Our Law Enforcement Agency, a page containing outright lies, not to mention that law enforcement already enjoys so much special privilege that police officers who shoot and kill, even when clearly in the wrong, aren't convicted and often continue to receive pay. (And as a parent, that page particularly annoys me with its phrasing implying they want to increase safety on the streets for young children). 

They also removed the LGBT policy page from the Department of Labor.

Edited by Res

29 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/20/trump-s-whitehouse-gov-disappears-civil-rights-climate-change-lgbt-rights.html?via=twitter_page

hahahaha

not issues anymore, guys

let's just hope they are remodelling the site on these very specific pages, oh, who am I kidding

Wew laddy. This will be a roller coaster of four years. Golly gee.

3 hours ago, Tryhard said:

hahahaha

not issues anymore, guys

And so it begins.

But liberals are being too PC right?

This administration is already a clusterfuck. I'm more educated than our executive branch and I literally only have a Masters. The worst part is that literally a lot of people will flock to the propaganda of the Trump administration, and allow the propaganda to get in the way of facts.

I've heard some people say because they are taking time to construct transfer content for those pages for Trump, but why was this not ready before when parts of it are clearly in view already in regards to the military etc. Maybe that's true, but is it always such a fumbling operation? It's also funny that it happens to be about things like healthcare that he is being held to.

In one of first Trump administration orders, Dept of Housing & Urban Dev. suspends reduction of FHA annual mortgage insurance premium rates

Interesting priority. And makes buying a house yet more unaffordable for the ordinary citizen.

To go along with Chelsea Manning's reduced sentence, Obama pardoned/commuted the sentence of hundreds of people with drug offenses.  I applaud this move, since our prison population is far too high, many of them with non-violent drug offenses.  I only wish he had tried to make more of an effort into loosening the drug laws before leaving office.  With the legalization of marijuana gaining traction nation-wide, hopefully it's a sign we can lose the distinction of the highest prison population in the world.

Well, Trump has now proven himself beyond reasonable doubt scientifically inept. I guess it might be interesting to see him wither away at social progress (or progress of any kind)...

Edited by Comet

6 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

But liberals are being too PC right?

This administration is already a clusterfuck. I'm more educated than our executive branch and I literally only have a Masters. The worst part is that literally a lot of people will flock to the propaganda of the Trump administration, and allow the propaganda to get in the way of facts.

Seeing such obviously false propaganda on official government websites is really... something. 

6 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I've heard some people say because they are taking time to construct transfer content for those pages for Trump, but why was this not ready before when parts of it are clearly in view already in regards to the military etc. Maybe that's true, but is it always such a fumbling operation? It's also funny that it happens to be about things like healthcare that he is being held to.

Indeed; it's telling what they've chosen to prioritize.

4 hours ago, Rezzy said:

To go along with Chelsea Manning's reduced sentence, Obama pardoned/commuted the sentence of hundreds of people with drug offenses.  I applaud this move, since our prison population is far too high, many of them with non-violent drug offenses.  I only wish he had tried to make more of an effort into loosening the drug laws before leaving office.  With the legalization of marijuana gaining traction nation-wide, hopefully it's a sign we can lose the distinction of the highest prison population in the world.

Good! And yes, I wish he had, too. 

8 hours ago, Res said:

In one of first Trump administration orders, Dept of Housing & Urban Dev. suspends reduction of FHA annual mortgage insurance premium rates

Interesting priority. And makes buying a house yet more unaffordable for the ordinary citizen.

An odd choice of priorities. It sounds like something that would benefit a person with a business in real-estate though (but I might be wrong, I don't know much about that sort of thing), but it definitely goes against his idea of running things for the average citizen.

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

While I am not good in understanding most of things about politics and have never made really a "choice" for myself to form an opinion which one of the 2 was a lesser evil, Clinton or Trump, right now there is one thing in particular that bothers me very much. Already more than once Trump has expressed his support for characters who are by no means interested in maintaining the natural environment clean, as long as the pollution brings them money. Like that Scott Pruitt character who has been put in the Environmental Protection Agency, just to make a random example. Then, all those speeches about global warming and climate changes danger being a "hoax". I am not surprised that Trump himself or the big financial tycoons say so, after all, they have everything to gain if they can spend less money on protecting nature. What amazes me (in a negative way) is that a number of "normal" common people (not politicians or big "moneybags"/financial tycoons) actually believe the statement that global warming and other dangers for the environment are "hoaxes" (invented by "communists", if you listen to them), to the point they insult the scientists who warn people about those things and insult those politicians who actually paid at least some attention to the issue, whatever the country they are from. The weird thing is that, as I said, it's not just the "people at the top" who have everything to gain, who say so. It's the "normal" people who gain absolutely nothing from reducing the money used to save the environment. Why Trump and the others on the same level as him say so, I understand, even though I despise the reason behind it. But why normal people can say so with so much passion, that I cannot understand. There is so much hatred in their posts, towards the ones who spend much money on protecting natural environment, that they sound like crazy zombies, honestly.

And the last thing about Trump's attitude towards the issue that imo is really upsetting:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/all-references-to-climate-change-have-been-deleted-from-the-white-house-website

To avoid misunderstandings: I don't live in the USA, I live in Italy, therefore I haven't voted in these elections, and even if I lived in the USA, I am not a supporter of Trump or Clinton and opposed to one in favor of the other. I still think that Hillary Clinton would have been a bad alternative either, for very different reasons. When I read Trump had won I thought "well, whatever, maybe hopefully he is the lesser evil of the 2 of them....". Shortly after that I was already convinced he was not. That doesn't make me sympathize with Clinton though, there are many other points in both their political programs that I probably don't even know about (I haven't read about the subject in details enough), maybe there are both good and bad things. To sum it up, I still have a hard time to decide which of the 2 of them is the lesser evil.

But the point is, I am really upset about what is going to happen to the environment, in the USA at least. You have beautiful landscapes, animals, at least there still is something to save. Usually, countries start caring about nature protection only when it's almost destroyed. In the USA it's not yet reduced to the extinction and complete destruction, it would be sad if they only realized the mistake too late, when everything is already in ruins and polluted. Here the talk was mostly about climate change, but from what I read, Trump's position towards the rest of the environment isn't more responsible either. He doesn't care, that's for sure. It depends on points of view, how much this issue is actually important, but to me it is one of the priorities. I would really like please to hear your opinions about this specific issue, since I am quite upset by where things are going

Edited by Dwalin2010

If you want to read about everyone's thoughts on climate change, you can refer to this thread.

In general: climate change is a really big deal, and it's scary that we have an Exxon CEO and a climate change denier in the cabinet.

Clinton's cabinet pick was probably going to be a scientist (and the SoS someone who knows about climate change) in comparison to Trump's, and she would've definitely done more towards Clean Energy and/or kept the EPA intact, so on this particular issue Clinton would've been infinitely better than Trump, but Clinton is irrelevant now.

Edited by Lord Raven

20 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

If you want to read about everyone's thoughts on climate change, you can refer to this thread.

In general: climate change is a really big deal, and it's scary that we have an Exxon CEO and a climate change denier in the cabinet.

Clinton's cabinet pick was probably going to be a scientist (and the SoS someone who knows about climate change) in comparison to Trump's, and she would've definitely done more towards Clean Energy and/or kept the EPA intact, so on this particular issue Clinton would've been infinitely better than Trump, but Clinton is irrelevant now.

I agree.....If under Clinton somebody who is responsible and knowledgeable about this had been appointed, in this aspect it would have been better if Trump had lost....There are other things though, that are equally bad, like (if I remember correctly) she said she was willing to start new wars, rather than resolve with diplomacy (although I am not sure anymore which country she was referring to, and whether it was really worded like that, so don't quote me on that), wars are a big disaster too.....That's one the reasons I have a hard time to decide who can bring more trouble.....

Thanks for the link, I will read the thread now and maybe re-post some parts of this post there, if here it was the wrong topic...

Edited by Dwalin2010

11 hours ago, The Blind Idiot God said:

An odd choice of priorities. It sounds like something that would benefit a person with a business in real-estate though (but I might be wrong, I don't know much about that sort of thing), but it definitely goes against his idea of running things for the average citizen.

And in some way that's pretty good. The more Trump goes against the interest of his primary voter base and the more he admits he doesn't care at all about the average citizen then the quicker people realize that Trump and the other populists are frauds who never cared about them to begin with. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

And in some way that's pretty good. The more Trump goes against the interest of his primary voter base and the more he admits he doesn't care at all about the average citizen then the quicker people realize that Trump and the other populists are frauds who never cared about them to begin with. 

Great in theory, but awful in practice.  How much damage will be done before the next presidential election rolls around?

23 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Great in theory, but awful in practice.  How much damage will be done before the next presidential election rolls around?

What about an impeachment?

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

What about an impeachment?

He'd have to seriously fuck up for that.  While I have a low opinion of Trump, I think he's smart enough not to terminate himself prematurely.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

He'd have to seriously fuck up for that.  While I have a low opinion of Trump, I think he's smart enough not to terminate himself prematurely.

Well, just how bad Andrew Johnson, Nixon, and Clinton fared when they got their impeachements (I still count Nixon even if his resignation put a halt to his impeachment process)? True, those ended in aquittals, but the process still went through.