General US Politics

Ansem

38 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Yea, it fucking sucks, it's not in my city but it's almost close.

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I hope they catch whoever did this.  Actions speak louder than words, and no place of peaceful worship deserves to be fired upon.

Good news:  Deux suspects ont été arrêtés. L’un d’eux aurait été appréhendé au terme d’une chasse à l’homme qui s’est terminé près de l’île d’Orléans.

Direct translation: 2 culprits got arrested. One of them got caught after a chase who end up close to ''île d'Orléans''.

Edited by Nym

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Maybe you missed this earlier in the thread.  So, I'm going to quote you, and remind you of this.  If I hear any more complaints of this nature in this thread, I start issuing warnings.  Complaining about this issue wont' fix it, and the only thing anyone can do ATM is to sit and wait.  This goes for EVERYONE that posts in this thread.

In other words, BE PATIENT, WE KNOW IT'S AN ISSUE, AND THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

Sorry, your link takes me to page 233 of this thread, but I did not see anything there.  I apologize if my complaint's been overmentioned, though.

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

Wasn't there a fire in a islamic center in the US just the other day? I wonder if they are connected.

Yes, but thankfully no one was injured there.

The attack is awful. Those poor people. I'm glad the suspects have apparently been apprehended.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Wasn't there a fire in a islamic center in the US just the other day? I wonder if they are connected.

Possibly, but wasn't that one in Texas?  Being so far apart and different countries would make it less likely.

4 hours ago, Water Mage said:

"This is not muslim ban" he says. Pardon me the language, but if this is not a muslim ban, then what the FUCK it is? He may say it's about terror, but what he's doing is pretty much the same as banning all christians from a country because of KKK.

It's a country ban. Nowhere in the official documents does it mention any form of religion.

51 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Condolences for the families. Like eclipse said, no place of quiet worship should have to deal with this.

But damn, the media up here is sure quick to attribute this with Trump. There isn't any evidence (and likely won't be for a while), and the narrative pushing is strong with this one.

rudy guillani already said openly this was how they could get a legal version of a muslim ban.  trying to find official words to understand the intent of what's going on is a waste of time, politicians usually at least try to be subtle. 

Edited by Radiant head

47 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

guess i'm glad people are finally alert about what's going on.  

It looks like Obama voted for it, too, for what that's worth.

1 hour ago, Ema Skye said:

It's a country ban. Nowhere in the official documents does it mention any form of religion.

Condolences for the families. Like eclipse said, no place of quiet worship should have to deal with this.

But damn, the media up here is sure quick to attribute this with Trump. There isn't any evidence (and likely won't be for a while), and the narrative pushing is strong with this one.

Like radiant head said, it is for all intents and purposes a muslim ban. They just changed the wording so it won't sound like a muslim ban "officially". But they are being a little too obvious.

And I just realized something. Trump is making good on his campaign promises. But he's doing it a little too fast. The govern had barely any time to prepare for them. That's why they are backfiring and are being met with such backlash. 

57 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

And I just realized something. Trump is making good on his campaign promises. But he's doing it a little too fast. The govern had barely any time to prepare for them. That's why they are backfiring and are being met with such backlash. 

Backlash from whom? Overall opinion from what I see is that the general population is irked by the lack of response from any Democrats. And you have people protesting, but you're still talking about a tiny minority of the U.S. population.

Anyway, of course he's doing it too fast. I think that's intended; all the better for throwing people off course. This is a decent examination of what the actions of the past few days mean.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Like radiant head said, it is for all intents and purposes a muslim ban. They just changed the wording so it won't sound like a muslim ban "officially". But they are being a little too obvious.

If it was a Muslim ban, Saudi Arabia would've been on the list.

1 hour ago, Ema Skye said:

If it was a general Muslim ban, a lot more countries would be on the list. But it's still a travel ban for Muslims (and only muslims) from certain countries. So it's still a Muslim ban.

59 minutes ago, Ema Skye said:

Saudi Arabia also would've been on that list if it had anything to do with stopping terrorism. They're the world's #1 exporter of islamist terrorism after all.

So why aren't they on the list? It couldn't possibly have something to do with the Trump's commercial interests as an enterpreteur, right? 'Cause that'd totally be a conflict of interests that should instantly disqualify Trump as POTUS ...

4 hours ago, Ema Skye said:

Trump isn't stupid, including Saudi Arabia would anger the country, and it would cause a lot of problems for the US's economy. The fact that the ban doesn't include Saudi Arabia is what make it so obviously suspicious.

4 hours ago, Res said:

Anyway, of course he's doing it too fast. I think that's intended; all the better for throwing people off course. This is a decent examination of what the actions of the past few days mean.

I...didn't think of that actually. And I kind of ashamed that I didn't realize it sooner. All this chaos was in their plans, wasn't it?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/jihadist-groups-hail-donald-trumps-travel-ban-as-a-victory-20170130-gu17am.html

Yeah...This isn't a good sign. At all. What they thought it would nade them safer might actually put them in danger.

EDIT: Apparently conservatives are boycotting Starbucks again. This is what, the third they do it?

Edited by Water Mage

11 hours ago, Rezzy said:

It looks like Obama voted for it, too, for what that's worth.

Just for the record, the Secure Fence Act of 2006 involved adding 700 miles of additional fencing, not a wall.  Building an actual wall capable of keeping illegal immigrants out along the entire 1,933.4 mile border would be far more expensive and making Mexico pay for it is easier said than done.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/jihadist-groups-hail-donald-trumps-travel-ban-as-a-victory-20170130-gu17am.html

Yeah...This isn't a good sign. At all. What they thought it would nade them safer might actually put them in danger.

That's the irony of it.  This ban is actually bolstering extremist such as ISIS.

that's why protesting isn't meaningless, people have to control the narrative and make it clear americans by and large don't approve of this 

re: rezzy - obama has also deported more than any president in history so not surprised 

Edited by Radiant head

Steve Bannon being an inside on Trump's security council is actually a nightmare scenario. I'm hoping that we continue to get senators and congressman to speak out - if both of Arizona's Senators spoke out against this then I'm sure many others will see the light.

dems are also introducing this bill: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/immigration-ban-democratic-senators-introduce-bills-overturning-trump-n714051?cid=sm_fb_nbcnews

48 in the senate + at least 2 republicans that are against the executive order. only thing that remains is the house.

11 hours ago, Mimikyu said:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/

Yeah the Judicial Branch is definitely there. The writer is pretty high.

(/late)

Edited by Lord Raven

2 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

dems say they're going to filibuster all of his scotus picks.  better be true 

Unfortunately, the Dems shot themselves in the foot in regards to that, since they took away the right to filibuster nominations a few years ago when Obama was in office.

2 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

dems are also introducing this bill: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/immigration-ban-democratic-senators-introduce-bills-overturning-trump-n714051?cid=sm_fb_nbcnews

48 in the senate + at least 2 republicans that are against the executive order. only thing that remains is the house.

They would need at least 3, since a tie would go to Pence.  Even then, they might try to filibuster it, since the ban only lasts for 90 days, last I heard.  It's a nice symbolic act to limit EOs, but it probably won't get past the House.  Ideally, when the Dems regain power, they can introduce a bill to limit a president's power with EOs, but they probably won't, since both parties just want to grab as much power as they can, now, and don't think about how it will come back to bite them later.