General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and they named it World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017. Who chose the name, a 2 year old?

2 hours ago, Ein said:

holy shit Them Vault 7 leaks

While I have no reason to trust the CIA and not to believe Wikileaks, it seems rather convenient that it's suddenly transpired that the CIA is capable of making any cyber attack look as if it's originated from Russia. 

MSM, government, officials, none of them are denying what is being in these leaks.

I don't know why they would need the ability to take control of vehicles but seeing as how this tech wouldn't be used on groups with low tech is very suspect. Like a CNN thing only talked about how terrible it is that ISIS now knows about this. It's just appalling how the government and the media don't even bother trying to talk about what's found in the leaks.

Michael Hasting's death may have involved such measures since he crashed into a tree at a high speed and it was suspicious even back in 2013. This leak gives credible evidence of his death having foul play involved especially since he was investigating things the CIA was doing and was highly critical of the Obama administration.

The more things we put computers in, the more at risk we are of cyber attacks. It's why I'm wary of the "Internet of Things". Soon, the CIA might be able to get all our personal information by hacking a thermostat.

On 3/8/2017 at 2:16 PM, Excellen Browning said:

If these leaks are like the other leaks it'll take some time to work through them.

also not buying that the cia can remote control cars.

From everything I've read Wikileaks has only exposed that the CIA were investigating the possibility, there's not any concrete evidence they actually managed to do so.

Having said that, it's certainly feasible. 

I'm reminded very much these days of Person of Interest; that show is beginning to feel more like a documentary, and I'm not really surprised by anything.

Male GOP lawmaker asks why men should pay for prenatal coverage and Paul Ryan says insurance "cannot work if healthy people have to pay more to subsidize the sick," so basically the Republican party continues to demonstrate its lack of knowledge of how insurance actually works.

2 minutes ago, Res said:

Male GOP lawmaker asks why men should pay for prenatal coverage and Paul Ryan says insurance "cannot work if healthy people have to pay more to subsidize the sick," so basically the Republican party continues to demonstrate its lack of knowledge of how insurance actually works.

Paul Ryan is a confirmed idiot. Has been for a while now. It's a shame he's as high up the chain as he is but that's the republicans for you, I guess.

Another GOP congressman claims the poor just don't want health care. Thanks for generalizing me into this group, I guess. The man goes on to state that the Medicaid population is also the one that spends the least on preventative care, having a healthy diet and excersizing.

Now I'm certain he's right about this, but this doesn't equate to "poor people don't want health care".

14 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Paul Ryan is a confirmed idiot. Has been for a while now. It's a shame he's as high up the chain as he is but that's the republicans for you, I guess.

Another GOP congressman claims the poor just don't want health care. Thanks for generalizing me into this group, I guess. The man goes on to state that the Medicaid population is also the one that spends the least on preventative care, having a healthy diet and excersizing.

Now I'm certain he's right about this, but this doesn't equate to "poor people don't want health care".

No indeed. For a start, there's a certain privilege that comes with obtaining preventative care, having a healthy diet and exercising.

For example, I imagine more poor people (and thus more of the medicaid population) live in food deserts.

As another example, a lot of people on medicaid are going to be the permanently disabled (whether physically or mentally disabled), since disabled people generally have much lower salaries or are unable to find work at all (a friend of mine, who is perfectly mentally capable, but is unable to physically leave her house a lot of the time, tried to find work but was told that even if she was given work, as a disabled person employers may pay her only half of minimum wage). In her own words:

"If someone organized a "Day Without the Disabled", society at large would feel relief instead of outrage. We're 20% of the population, but we are expected to hide ourselves at all times we are not inspiring the able-bodied. The disabled make pennies on the able-bodied's dollars, but are reviled for seeking aid.

When I asked my social worker about work that I could do with my disabilities, she replied that the work program for the disabled consisted entirely of manual labor for 1/2 minimum wage."

Also, often people on medicaid are working longer hours than people who are not, and can't always afford to forgo a couple of hours' pay if they need to take time off work to see a doctor during the doctor's daytime office hours. And of course gym memberships are very expensive (I was paying $60/mo for the YMCA, the cheapest in my city by far). 

So there's dozens of reasons why the medicaid population spends the least on those three things. 

I'm confident Paul Ryan is not stupid.

He just knows how to pander.  He knows how to make people make stupid decisions. Watch, you'll get people saying "I'm healthy with insurance, but why are my premiums going up?"

They've pretty much brainwashed the empathy out of the population.

Edited by Lord Raven

actively pissing off voters with his unhinged stance on poor ppl's healthcare is pretty stupid politics 

the image that he's some kind of serious number crunching policy wonk is hilarious at this point.  

Apparently P. Ryan got audio leaked of him being against Trump (courtesy of Breitbart). You guys want the Breitbart article as well?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/14/paul-ryan-audio-ill-never-defend-donald-trump/

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/breitbart-paul-ryan-bannon-trump-236048

A bit of the audio below (I don't really care for the commentary or the channel itself):

Let me give you the timestamps for the audio itself. Everything afterwards is just the aforementioned commentary. 0:31- 2:07

Edited by Raumata

He said this publicly during the campaign too (if I'm recalling right). This is not news.

EDIT: CNN got it before that "leak." http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/politics/paul-ryan-said-he-wont-defend-donald-trump/. I'm pretty much sure that Breitbart "leaked" that to piss off old white people who read their articles, even though Ryan's said this before.

Edited by Lord Raven

1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

He said this publicly during the campaign too (if I'm recalling right). This is not news.

EDIT: CNN got it before that "leak." http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/politics/paul-ryan-said-he-wont-defend-donald-trump/. I'm pretty much sure that Breitbart "leaked" that to piss off old white people who read their articles, even though Ryan's said this before.

Ah. M'kay.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too when I read about the "leak". Hasn't 'Paul Ryan has no spine' been a recurring joke for months now?

C6_n46oW0AE6x1W.jpg

i guess trump must be getting really exhausted from all that winning 

edit to avoid double posting: ok this is fucking hilarious, it was struck down because giuliani and miller were too stupid to hide the real intent of the order. 

C6_s00BVAAQLuhC.jpg

Edited by Radiant head

8 hours ago, Radiant head said:

C6_n46oW0AE6x1W.jpg

i guess trump must be getting really exhausted from all that winning 

edit to avoid double posting: ok this is fucking hilarious, it was struck down because giuliani and miller were too stupid to hide the real intent of the order. 

<snip>

I have a hard time imagining that they'll be able to get something like this through, considering that the true intention of the Trump administration is now known because, as you said, Guiliani and Miller are idiots.

1 hour ago, Raumata said:

Apparently there's been some funding cuts recently. Thoughts?

Right now, it's just Trump's proposed budget (from what I've heard).  And it looks like most people don't like it.  Congress would be stupid to allow it to pass.

It's asinine. The U.S. does not need to increase military spending in my opinion; it already has the world's largest and best funded army. The wall is a spectacular waste of billions. Meanwhile, many, many dozens of programs that actually increase the quality of life for U.S. residents are being cut. 

It's also really sad to see the arts and sciences completely disrespected and ignored. I'm also concerned about what type of environment we're going to leave future generations. Then there's the planned cuts to things like meals on wheels and school lunches for poor children...

This is real?

Edited by Res

12 hours ago, Res said:

This is real?

wow, I never thought that he would get that triggered by some random person (unless he was trying to be cool. Which he failed at.)

Someone should make memes out of his tweets.

EDIT: Actually, wait. Can't tell whether the person is some troll impersonating someone. Eh, I'll go with troll for now.

Edited by Flee Fleet!