General US Politics

Ansem

So Varadkar's in the news over there I see (How much?).

Turns out when Trump doesn't want a windmill built he doesn't contact the relevant groups and went for the then minister for sport to raise the objection (An objection not on record for the application, but still peeved about it on principle). The same guy is now Taoiseach.

Might not be relevant to the presidency term itself, but it's still another example of how he (Trump and Varadkar as well) is as a person. Never mind how carefree they are about mentioning it. It's obvious Varadkar is buttering Trump up to get along with him, and I'm a little queasy at that thought.

Have to see if the Pence meeting causes scandal, he said the meeting would bring up gay affairs.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

Andrew McCabe, who was recently fired as head or FBI, has apparently turned over some memos related to the firing of Comey to Mueller. Comey, the head of FBI before him, who was probably fired due to the Russia investigation.

While I am sure there are going to be benefits to the Mueller investigation that come from this, an onion piece in the Hill has me a little worried about potential new lines of attack against McCabe, Comey, and by extension, Mueller's investigation. 

http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/378919-mccabe-just-made-life-tough-for-comey-and-the-special-counsel

In McCabe's post where he declares his firing to be a partisan attack against him he seems to indicate that Comey OK'd a leak to the press, something that Comey explicitly denied in his congressional testimony. This is the kind of thing I can see far right-wing media agencies pouncing on in an attempt to end the investigation. 

So they could have passed legislation to protect Mueller from lunatic Trump firing him.  However Republicans refused.  I am independent and liked aspects of both parties, until Trump.  The way many Republicans downplay all the crap he does, and constantly defend him is shameful and abhorrent.  I will never vote Republican for anything ever again.

I am also wondering what Trump would have to do for his base to not still be his loyal slaves?  Maybe hard evidence that he molested his own daughter?  Caught on tape butchering and eating infants?  Nah, probably wouldn't be enough.  It would be discredited as fake news.  

1 minute ago, Charmeleonbrah said:

Deep State: Heh, Drumpf is done for this time guys, with all the stories coming out about him getting top-shelf p***y.

What the f are you trying to say?

McMaster has resigned and will be replaced with John Bolton.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/trump-announces-former-u-n-ambassador-john-bolton-to-serve-as-national-security-adviser-replacing-h-r-mcmaster/

John Bolton is awful, and is pretty much the neocon's neocon. He's comparable to Dick Cheney in his views if not worse, such as wanting war with Iran.

Edited by Tryhard

27 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

McMaster has resigned and will be replaced with John Bolton.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/trump-announces-former-u-n-ambassador-john-bolton-to-serve-as-national-security-adviser-replacing-h-r-mcmaster/

John Bolton is awful, and is pretty much the neocon's neocon. He's comparable to Dick Cheney in his views if not worse, such as wanting war with Iran.

...it feels like just yesterday it was "Michael Flynn resigns and will be replaced with McMaster."

The rats continue to flee a sinking ship.  

You know I do feel bad for Melania, Ivanka, the rest of the Trump family though.  They are persecuted and hated and harassed cause of who Donald is.  I mean they deserve our pity, after all imagine him as a husband or a father?  It's a wonder they can function at all.  

with trump at the helm, the executive branch is surprisingly robust. from the outside, it seems like trump's administration should have led to his party wholly and completely rejecting him by now--all politics aside. he's simply bad at doing this job. despite scandal after scandal, resignation after resignation, indictment after indictment, and failure after failure, he's still our president. at this point, it's (maybe) arguable that what he's done to this country's people in terms of trust and unity (trust of the government and unity despite political differences), and to his party, is worse than nixon (and definitely clinton). 

it'll be interesting to see how the tariff situations plays out.

8 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

The rats continue to flee a sinking ship.  

You know I do feel bad for Melania, Ivanka, the rest of the Trump family though.  They are persecuted and hated and harassed cause of who Donald is.  I mean they deserve our pity, after all imagine him as a husband or a father?  It's a wonder they can function at all.  

I can imagine worse fates than having tons of money. They can afford all their heart desires no matter what people think of them. Also despite his many, many, many flaws Trump is supposedly able to be quite charming so he's probably a decent family man since they don't have the misfortune on having to work professionally with him.

Its Trumps staff I pity rather than his family. 

No pity. They know what he is. Everyone who made the choice to throw their lot in with him and continues to make the choice to stand by him and be his enabler deserves everything that's coming to them.

Edited by Shoblongoo

25 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

No pity. They know what he is. Everyone who made the choice to throw their lot in with him and continues to make the choice to stand by him and be his enabler deserves everything that's coming to them.

Well I mean you don't choose your father.  However yeah his children were born into wealth despite having a stupid evil dad, so that is something.  Maybe he is good to them.  

19 hours ago, eclipse said:

Even for someone like Baron, who's literally too young to do anything about it?

18 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Well I mean you don't choose your father.  

Baron is in his age of innocence, and therefore blameless.

Jury is still out on Tiffany.

Ivanka, Eric, and Don Jr. are old enough to know better and to go their own way. Trump runs "The Family" like a mafia crime syndicate. They each in their  own way have made the decision to to kiss the godfather's ring and live high on the spoils of his con-game, rather than get out and get clean. 

19 hours ago, Agent 707 said:

Well, at least we'll all die together.

One has to wonder how much having men like Tillerson and McMaster and Dowd in the room actually constrained Trump's bad behavior--he's impulsive to a fault, and doesn't seem to listen to anyone except Jared and Ivanka.

On paper, the appointment of a hawk like Bolton to national security advisor and the removal of moderating voices from his counsel would seem to suggest War with North Korea just became more likely. 

In practice: Trump is going to be so overwhelmed by the confluence of scandals coming up between the Russia probe and all his extramarital affairs and nondisclosure agreements coming out of the woodwork in the coming months (and his attention span is so limited to begin with), I think it unlikely he gives much attention to anything else.

There's a common thread in all the staff shakeups that have been coming out of the White House lately: Trump is purging out staffers who have advised restraint against attacking the Mueller Investigation, and refused to follow Trump talking points on Russia.

Image result for mcmaster forgot to mention tweet

...this coinciding with the most aggressive attacks on Mueller's character and the credibility of his investigation we've seen coming out of the White House so far...

And the reported onus behind McMaster's firing was Trump suspecting it was "McMaster's people" who were responsible for this week's  "DO NOT CONGRATULATE HIM!" leak; Trump evidently believed McMaster was making a public show of chastising him over his relationship with Putin. 

North Korea does not appear to be actively on the president's mind, in appointing Bolton.

He's just removing anyone he suspects of disloyalty as Mueller closes in on him; replacing them with Yes Men and FOX News personalities to trot out on camera and do the Kelly Anne Conway dance. (Remember--to Trump, this is still just a Reality TV Show. Hes the star and the only thing that matters is that his people make him look good.)

Edited by Shoblongoo

55 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

I wouldn't say he's throwing out people who he believes disloyal, but it does seem like the people he fires are replaced by even worse people. 

...well at this point you have to be a pretty terrible person to even consider taking a job in the Trump White House. Any professional of respectable character and sound judgment has to know that its career suicide; you're going to drag your good name through the mud and be out the door in a few months, coming out the other side with a reputation for lying to reporters and fraternizing with con-artists. 

Ted Olsen (a rather famous U.S. attorney who I have great respect for; hes one of the foremost litigators and Constitutional scholars in the country) was just offered a position as White House counsel, after the Dowd resignation. He refused.

Now here's a man who litigated the results of the Florida recount in Bush v. Gore (2000). One of the most controversial and contentious cases in modern American history. Served in the Bush White House. Then teamed up with the opposing attorney who represented Al Gore  to win Obergefell v. Hodges (2015)--the case that resulted in same sex marriage bans being ruled unconstitutional and gay marriage being legalized nationwide--because partisan politics be damned, it was the right thing to do.

...he wants absolutely nothing to do with Trump...

Why would he? Is that how he wants to be remembered? 

Instead the job went to this guy:

Image result for joe digenova

Joe DiGenova. A FOX News "legal analyst," best known for spreading "Deep State" conspiracy theories on Tucker Carlson Tonight and The Lou Dobbs Show

...shitweasels attract shitweasels...

Edited by Shoblongoo