General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

A lot of populist voters see the populist as their final hope and its not going to do their faith in democracy much good if their last hope is backing out of promises too.

The story of politics in the Philippines for more than a decade now LOL. But I'm veering off track.

on topic: The G7 pics are definitely amusing (and meme-able).

30 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

The story of politics in the Philippines for more than a decade now LOL. But I'm veering off track.

One of those a picture is worth a thousand words moments. This one, for people who don't know what hes talking about 
donald-trump-angela-merkel-g7-summit.jpg

News out of G7 is that Trump did diddly-dick while Angela Merkel and Xi JinPing took charge of the agenda + got visibly annoyed with him

...he got into a fight with the Prime Minister of Canada.

...he got bitched out by everyone (then later publicly praised by Vladamir Putin) when as his sole contribution to the summit, he demanded that diplomatic sanctions against Russia be lifted and the Russian delegation allowed to attend future summits

...and he left without signing the final compact, with the dubious distinction of being the only world leader present who refused to sign.

2 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Yes....well if we're looking at mister Duterte I'd say that if the West is resembling the Philippines then they are doing it very wrong. 

The picture is indeed very meme-able. There are version of Trump in a children's mini car or with a plate of Spaghetti on his head. 

1 hour ago, RandomJC said:

It's all three-dimensional chess to get us better deals! /s

This kinda chess? Because I'm getting brain cramps just looking at the field.

thLU56FT2D.jpg

@Etrurian emperor: It even got compared to a scene from The Simpsons—the very episode that predicted a Trump presidency, at that (can't link to any Twitter pics, or tweets, for that matter, while at work lol)

Edited by Karimlan

1 minute ago, Shoblongoo said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/a-senior-white-house-official-defines-the-trump-doctrine-were-america-bitch/562511/

“The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.” -Senior White House Official- 

It echoes what Denis Leary had said on one of his specials a LONG TIME ago:

"My domestic policy: Fuck you. My foreign policy: FFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK YOU!!

—from Lock and Load

5 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

It echoes what Denis Leary had said on one of his specials a LONG TIME ago:

"My domestic policy: Fuck you. My foreign policy: FFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK YOU!!

—from Lock and Load

Is there anyone in this thread who hasn't seen the movie Idiocracy?

Because its really starting to feel like we're getting there. 

The fucked up part is his lawyers had successfully argued he SHOULDN'T be in jail pending trial on the underlying criminal charges from the first indictment. The State hadn't met its burden of proving a compelling need to keep him incarcerated, pre-conviction.

With that win in his pocket and with the temporary reprieve of freedom his lawyers had fought for--he went and used his pre-trial release to commit the additional crimes of witness tampering and got himself hit with new charges!!! 

(...at which point of course The State steps in and says Defendant should be in jail pre-trial, because he is a high-risk of ongoing criminal activity.   
 And the judge says Yep. State has met its burden--lock him up.)

Now hes in a worse position heading into trial then if his attorney's had let him just rot in jail.
_________

Michael Cohen is probably going to be arrested soon. I'm going to enjoy that way more than I should. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

So this might be a controversial statement, but...

But after last week's news of Jeff Sessions defending the Trump Administration's policy of separating children from their parents at immigration detention centers and housing the kids communally in separate camps facilities with--and this is an exact quote-- “I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order,” he said. “Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful.”  

...I think America under the current Administration now meets all 14 diagnostic criteria for a fascist state...    

TqOKGa4.jpg?1

1)
Image result for walmart immigration detention 
#MAGA

2) ...we're at a point now where we've got ~40% of the country defending: "We have to break up families. The Democrats gave us that law. It's a horrible thing where you have to break up families. The Democrats gave us that law and they don't want to do anything about it." -Donald Trump; May 16-
Image result for walmart immigration detention
^^^
What the policy looks like in practice. Federally sieged Walmart converted into "immigrant detention center."

3) The Mexicans. The Chinese. The Muslims.  Those people from the "shithole countries"...

4)  https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/politics/house-passes-president-military-parade/index.html

"The House of Representatives voted Thursday to reauthorize funds for the military Thursday -- a massive bill that greenlights a base budget of roughly $640 billion for national defense in the next fiscal year."

"The legislation also authorizes President Donald Trump's request to hold a military parade in the nation's capital."

5) "You're a star you can do anything. Grab em' by the Pussy!" sets national tone for sexual assault and violence against women 

Repeal from Trump Department of Education of Obama-era protections on LGBT students. Bans on transgendered persons serving in the armed forces.

White House staffer Rob Porter fired after it is reported that he couldn't get security clearance due to an extensive history of domestic violence; FBI leaked pictures of his beaten ex-wife with a black eye to prompt the firing, after White House allowed him to continue working without clearance. Trump expresses regret that Porter's career was ended over "accusations."

6) All criticism of the White House and investigations into wrongdoing maligned as "Fake News."

Sean Hannity given coequal access to  President as Cabinet Secretaries and Chief of Staff; works directly with White House to craft "media strategies." Revolving door between Trump Legal Team + White House Staff, and Fox News Personalities. Entire private news network reduced to propaganda arm of the White House. 

Image result for fox news russian propaganda

7) 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trump-trade-chaos-nafta-1.4677667
http://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/390527-canada-as-a-national-security-threat-to-the-united-states

"In the kind of factual revisionism we've seen in the past from this administration, U.S. economic welfare and the loss of domestic jobs are being construed as a threat to security...equating economic well-being with security could offer carte blanche to any other country wanting to protect a local industry."

"President Trump says that Canada poses a national security threat to the United States. He has therefore imposed tariffs of 25 percent on imported Canadian steel products and 10 percent on Canadian aluminum products."

8)  “I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order,” he said. “Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful.”   -Attorney General of the United States Jeff Sessions; on breaking up immigrant families as part of the punishment for illegally entering the Unite States and communally housing their children separate from parents in concentration camps "detention centers." 

9) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/a-year-of-rolling-back-consumer-protections/2018/03/05/e11713ca-0d05-11e8-95a5-c396801049ef_story.html?utm_term=.7803de2d9774

Regulatory oversight positions in the administrative state being left purposefully vacant, on a theory that government regulation is bad for business. Man who has stated on-the-record that he does not believe the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection should exist appointed to lead the Bureau; has scaled back or terminated almost all Obama-era programs and regulations to protect working-class American from bank fraud, discrimination, and predatory lending.  

Whereas immigration law enforcement and the powers of state and local police to use lethal force for minor criminal infractions are being treated with the most permissive of heavy hands...prosecutions against businesses that violate federal labor law and financial institutions that behave fraudulently being dropped in record numbers, on a theory that they are "unduly burdensome." 

10)  https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/05/29/trumps-executive-order-on-unions-will-hurt-federal-employees/

^^^Trump unilaterally limiting the rights of federal employees to form labor unions by way of "executive order"

11) Hollywood and free expression by actors and musicians openly attacked by The Leader of the country.

"Harvard Elite" used as a dismissive pejorative.

Federal employees at NASA, the EPA, and the United States Park Service banned from discussing climate science in official communications; instructed to support official White House position that Global Warming is a "hoax."  

CDC banned from discussing abortion as a medical procedure.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/20/16793010/cdc-word-ban-trump-censorship-language

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/health/cdc-trump-banned-words.html

Trump Health and Human Services guidelines ban employees in official communications banned from using the words: "science-based," "evidence-based, "vulnerable," "diversity," "entitlement," "vulnerable," "fetus," and "transgender." 

12) See immigration detention policy.  Trump response to issues of police brutality and excess use of force raised by BLM. See Jeff Sessions "Task Force on Crime Reduction and Public Safety" and comments on mass incarceration.  See also:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/07/28/trump-tells-police-not-to-worry-about-injuring-suspects-during-arrests/?utm_term=.235025e4d807

Trump tells police not to worry about injuring suspects during arrests

"These remarks, coming after Trump talked about towns ravaged by gang violence and described “these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon,” met with applause from at least some of the law enforcement officers gathered for his speech at Suffolk County Community College in New York."

"A group of uniform officers standing behind Trump applauded, and, when he turned to face them, some smiled and appeared to chuckle."

13) Family members given nepotistic positions in the White House on taxpayer dime. Son-in-law allowed to go to China and promise special immigration visas in exchange for investments in his real estate company.

Blatantly corrupt figures like Scott Pruitt allowed to keep high-ranking jobs as agency heads, so long as they do exactly what Trump wants them to do on policy + praise of his performance.

Special retroactive pardon for financial crimes and lying to the FBI given to former Celebrity Apprentice contest because...reasons... 

14) Campaign by reality TV drama + character assassination (i.e. "Little Marco," "Lyin' Ted," "Crooked Hillary")

Legislative representation in the House rigged by gerrymandering. 

Republicans control both Houses of Congress and the White House, despite getting fewer votes then the Democrats in the 2016 election.

"Elected" form of government does not actually represent the votes of the electorate.

[/quote]

...lengthy post...I know...

But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And The United States of America is, at present, a fascist country is an extraordinary claim. 

And I am not trying to be hyperbolic here. I am seriously suggesting that by objective diagnostic criteria, The United State of America under the presidency of Donald J. Trump is presently a fascist country.  

Am I wrong???

Trump is definitely authoritarian, but I don't think he's suppressed dissent enough to be considered as such (though it does noticeably bother him so when people do talk badly about him). Many of the points of fascism can be seen, which isn't a good thing at all, but rarely they are shown to the extremes of the fundamentals of fascism. 

He's pretty much a wannabe strongman with a lot of unwarranted bluster. He may talk well about Duterte, Erdogan and Putin but he doesn't share their ruthlessness and crackdown against any opposition. He'll talk bad about media sources but has done little to actually suppress them (unless you could count him personally blacklisting certain news sources as part of that, which is the best description of who he is.)

Sad as it is, I can see some of those that are not new things from Trump and have been par for the course in the United States... (disdain for human rights, corporate power is protected, labor power is suppressed (unions are dead in the US), rampant corruption)

Edited by Tryhard

Just now, Tryhard said:

Trump is definitely authoritarian, but I don't think he's suppressed dissent enough to be considered as such 

I think that has more to do with him being institutionally constrained by legal process and co-equal branches of government then being insufficiently fascist in his political leanings to do it, if he thought he could get away with shit like--say--throwing journalists in jail.

I also think by the criteria listed above and explanation of their applicability, higher level suppression of dissent is not needed to make the diagnosis.   

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

He's pretty much a wannabe strongman with a lot of unwarranted bluster. He may talk well about Duterte, Erdogan and Putin but he doesn't share their ruthlessness and crackdown against any opposition. He'll talk bad about media sources but has done little to actually suppress them (unless you could count him personally blacklisting certain news sources as part of that, which is the best description of who he is.)

Duterte is just as inept, although he shares a similarly large circle of brown-nosers and sycophants in the media, and leads a little more in the death squads department. I won't say Duterte, Erodgan, Putin and Trump form a new Axis now; far from it. The older Axis guys seem to be better dressed, for a start (save for Stalin lol).

6 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Actually, if Trump could get away with it, he would be just as horrible as Kim Jong Un for example. Reasons he hasn't done much worse than what's currently going on is that there IS resistance to him innately existing in the US' system of government... albeit there should be more of it but that's what you get when Republicans own the branches of government and elect a Hitler wannabe.

Trump has done and said so many outrageous things that are pretty much just him testing the waters to see what he could away with.

Firing Mueller and Rosenstein? Even Republicans have stated that it's suicide and they'll have no choice but to impeach. Doubt that this holds true today among many of those assholes today though.

Firing Jeff Sessions? They told him they won't confirm another Attorney General. Trump's idea of an attorney general is that this is the lawyer with the most power in the US that could defend him from anything. He quickly found out that isn't the case when Jeff Sessions recused himself early on and Trump has been attacking Sessions about it even going as far as saying something along the lines of "I wish I picked someone else to be my AG". Sad thing is, he still thinks that the Attorney General is a lawyer that needs to be 100% loyal to the president. 

Trump is a disgusting stain on American history and I certainly hope he would be penalized with death once his Impeachment passes.

ALSO, the party of "Family values" brings you...... an incarcerated 8 month old. Trump should die. Stephen Miller, reportedly the one that sold this idea to Trump, should die with him.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

17 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Actually, if Trump could get away with it, he would be just as horrible as Kim Jong Un for example. Reasons he hasn't done much worse than what's currently going on is that there IS resistance to him innately existing in the US' system of government... albeit there should be more of it but that's what you get when Republicans own the branches of government and elect a Hitler wannabe.

Trump has done and said so many outrageous things that are pretty much just him testing the waters to see what he could away with.

Firing Mueller and Rosenstein? Even Republicans have stated that it's suicide and they'll have no choice but to impeach. Doubt that this holds true today among many of those assholes today though.

Firing Jeff Sessions? They told him they won't confirm another Attorney General. Trump's idea of an attorney general is that this is the lawyer with the most power in the US that could defend him from anything. He quickly found out that isn't the case when Jeff Sessions recused himself early on and Trump has been attacking Sessions about it even going as far as saying something along the lines of "I wish I picked someone else to be my AG". Sad thing is, he still thinks that the Attorney General is a lawyer that needs to be 100% loyal to the president. 

Trump is a disgusting stain on American history and I certainly hope he would be penalized with death once his Impeachment passes.

ALSO, the party of "Family values" brings you...... an incarcerated 8 month old. Trump should die. Stephen Miller, reportedly the one that sold this idea to Trump, should die with him.

Has Trump committed Murder or Treason (the American definition)? No, he hasn't. Therefore, under the laws of the US, he cannot be sentenced to death. What is it with people forgetting about things like Amendment 8? The Death Penalty is much too harsh, even for the travesties he has inflicted. What I can hope for is that if removed and imprisoned, he either be sent to ADX or Ft. Leavenworth so that he won't be able to ever touch his money ever again. Not death. Not at all.