General US Politics

Ansem

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Yes, you have crazies on both sides but targeting Politicians at a congressional baseball game is one thing and what we see here today is another.

Are you saying that some peoples lives are worth less than others?

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I'd be putting up a target in my face to get shot and it's a similar story for people living in Red States because it's just a fact that the party calling for "Civility" from the Left should have more business with understanding what that and showing it themselves before demanding it of others.

What about left leaning groups such as ANTIFA they'd rather burn the place down than let someone they don't like speak

or how they'll hit people with bike locks, or throw pepper spray at people

________

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

The link and mention of you 2 isn't to attack either of you or to suggest that you advocate violence in that instance, I have no interest in that. It was merely to bring it to your attention as it is something you may want to see

we were asking you to reformat it, as having that right underneath "GOOD NEWS EVERYONE" makes it look like we support it. Just add some under scorelines to separate it

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

Antifa aren't achieving anything productive, but they are mostly limited to vandalism, property damage, and in some cases, yes, assault. Other left-wing terrorism tends to be anti-vaxxer or eco terrorism. Left-wing terrorism was actually more prevalent in the 70's, but this is not the case now compared to far-right terrorism.

Look at the roots of far-right terrorism, and you'll see that they are been responsible for a vast amount of attacks in the US recently. While we're here, mostly it is compared to "radical Islamist terrorism" to prove a point, but this is just completely inaccurate, considering jihadists are far-right wing. Attacks by nationalists, anti-government extremists or religious fanatics are generally more deadly than property damage or some dumb kid that doesn't want to let someone speak.

Not a good idea to divide something complex like terrorism into left-wing and right-wing, because you're gonna lose that one. There's bad people on both sides, but one side has the lions share of terrorism in recent times.

Antifa are pretty dumb, for the record.

Edited by Edgelord

Local Global side-note from The City of Brotherly Love Duterte country; Christian Fellowship marching in gay pride parade 
sub-buzz-16724-1530531473-6.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

I love this City 

EDIT: I misread "Philippines" as "Philadelphia" on first glance at the headline

this is what happens when I try to multitask  :-_-:

Edited by Shoblongoo

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

Those in power, by virtue of our system of democracy, are indeed worth less than the civilians they're meant to serve.

If they elect to serve themselves rather than those they represent, then will be easily replaced, one way or another.

58 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Local Global side-note from The City of Brotherly Love Duterte country; Christian Fellowship marching in gay pride parade 

EDIT: I misread "Philippines" as "Philadelphia" on first glance at the headline

this is what happens when I try to multitask  :-_-:

They're sorry for all the bigotry, but they won't change. "Tolerance" (and I say this in the loosest of terms) =/= acceptance. I should know—our head honcho is a misogynistic SOB of the worst kind.

Beyond what I already said: for what it's worth too, there wasn't a small amount of right-wingers that thought Gianforte slamming a reporter was a good thing to do because 'fuck the mainstream media'. Oh yeah, he still won the election despite being charged with assault. (He also lied to police for the record and say Jacobs and "the liberal media" provoked the attack, so he's obviously an idiot that gets off scot free)

This isn't really me proclaiming "my side" to be holier, because frankly I shake my head at some of the actions of people on the left, but right-wingers do like to talk about being anti-authoritarian, and then some of them go support stuff like that as if it isn't major cognitive dissonance.

Edited by Edgelord

4 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

It was more about the circumstances, on one hand you have a crazy attacking those in power for whatever motive and this can come from either side. On the other hand you have someone pulling out a gun during a peaceful protest exhibiting why it is difficult for conversation between both sides isn't simple. This too can come from both sides, it is currently coming from the right and regardless of which side it comes from, it's just wrong and the final nail in the coffin is that this is the same side asking for civility over NON-VIOLENT acts of protest against those in power. I mean, just look at how the right reacted when Michelle Wolf roasted Sarah Sanders. The Right is just in a very wrong position, they want to criticize and condemn everyone they disagree with while being guilty of it themselves and that is just textbook example of hypocrisy and when you're being a massive hypocrite like that and refuse to acknowledge it, you're destroying any hope productive conversation and it is better that your not heard from for a while. That's not even going into the problems with the Right's LEADERS that are basically traitors to their own people instead of what they should be: Elected officials working for the will of those who voted them in power.

4 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

Regardless of what side/party you're on, if you're a terrorist, you're a terrorist, just like how a terrorist doesn't have to be Muslim to be called a terrorist and a white man IS a terrorist when he's being a terrorist. ANTIFA are extreme Left and just like the extreme Right, they're just bad for the side they're taking and they probably hurt their cause more than they help it. The only thing the extreme Left has going for them over the extreme Right is that Trump is practically moving the country towards Fascism. Do I believe they're justified? No, I believe they're morons hurting their cause and if they're willing to throw away their lives by committing a crime, they're wasting potential impact for their cause by doing the dumb shit they're doing here instead of  targeting real sources of their problems like corrupt politicians like Paul Ryan or NRA officials pushing back against gun control by demonizing and labeling those advocating for it as "Civil Terrorists". Attacking fellow ordinary citizens like they're doing doesn't advance any cause and it is exactly what the rich want. It is just foolish.

we were asking you to reformat it, as having that right underneath "GOOD NEWS EVERYONE" makes it look like we support it. Just add some under scorelines to separate it

I don't see how you got such an implication out of that, I only edited it in because I didn't wanna double post if the site would actually let me edit the post and it did. Either way, changed.

In other news, Manafort is fucking done. He's been trying to appeal the recent decision to be put in Jail for Witness Tampering but it looks like that pit is just too deep.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

5 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Attacks by nationalists, anti-government extremists or religious fanatics are generally more deadly than property damage or some dumb kid that doesn't want to let someone speak.

Not a good idea to divide something complex like terrorism into left-wing and right-wing, because you're gonna lose that one. There's bad people on both sides, but one side has the lions share of terrorism in recent times.

I love how no where you mentioned BLM. They literally killed 5 cops and injured 9 others in one day in Dallas. You say the right is more dangerous? That group started a movement that has crippled police across the country. Literally Seattle is suffering a huge drop in officers because of the politics and little disregard of blue lives.  They lost (i think it was 42 or 41) in the year of 2018. Yeah of course some are retiring but the others are for move obvious reason. That is an average of 6 to 7 per month. I'd like to bring up that in my town we are under-staffed anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 officers. Our guys are retiring and/or quitting faster than we can hire. Let me tell you, that over-time is super fierce. If i wanted to and was capable of i literally could work 24/7 and we'd still be short (and not just me but like 2 or 3 hundred of us could work 24/7). Thanks Obama. I appreciate your legacy. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

This too can come from both sides, it is currently coming from the right and regardless of which side it comes from, it's just wrong and the final nail in the coffin is that this is the same side asking for civility over NON-VIOLENT acts of protest against those in power. I mean, just look at how the right reacted when Michelle Wolf roasted Sarah Sanders. The Right is just in a very wrong position, they want to criticize and condemn everyone they disagree with while being guilty of it themselves and that is just textbook example of hypocrisy and when you're being a massive hypocrite like that and refuse to acknowledge it, you're destroying any hope productive conversation and it is better that your not heard from for a while. That's not even going into the problems with the Right's LEADERS that are basically traitors to their own people instead of what they should be: Elected officials working for the will of those who voted them in power.

Regardless of what side/party you're on, if you're a terrorist, you're a terrorist, just like how a terrorist doesn't have to be Muslim to be called a terrorist and a white man IS a terrorist when he's being a terrorist. ANTIFA are extreme Left and just like the extreme Right, they're just bad for the side they're taking and they probably hurt their cause more than they help it. The only thing the extreme Left has going for them over the extreme Right is that Trump is practically moving the country towards Fascism. Do I believe they're justified? No, I believe they're morons hurting their cause and if they're willing to throw away their lives by committing a crime, they're wasting potential impact for their cause by doing the dumb shit they're doing here instead of  targeting real sources of their problems like corrupt politicians like Paul Ryan or NRA officials pushing back against gun control by demonizing and labeling those advocating for it as "Civil Terrorists". Attacking fellow ordinary citizens like they're doing doesn't advance any cause and it is exactly what the rich want. It is just foolish.

@Bolded and underlined: Oh yeah did i mention Obama and his legacy in what i just typed above this quote? That radical extreme leftist painted a huge target over the police force. Hence why depending on your city/state we take longer than pizza delivery. If anything the left has systematically crippled the country and its future by forever making police one of the least desire-able career fields. You need a force to protect the people. Instead you have a group focused on labeling cops as the worse people and then they themselves when protesting start burning and/or robbing stores right the in middle of the protest. 

I'd like to say right now i was heated up when i FIRST started typing but cooled down (because i had to break since i was cooking and had to watch the stove for a minute). If my facts are wrong please source me. I don't want to be narrow minded and only see one perspective so i appreciate the help.  I think the point of this post when i first started was that i was going to deflect and be like "we aren't that bad, your side is worse" but i know my psychology teacher would be super disappointed with me for saying sentences that infer generalizations and grouping without sourcing etc. She was pretty strict but she was so awesome (ahhh...the power of taking a step back)

Edited by Tediz64

3 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I love how no where you mentioned BLM. They literally killed 5 cops and injured 9 others in one day in Dallas. You say the right is more dangerous? That group started a movement that has crippled police across the country. Literally Seattle is suffering a huge drop in officers because of the politics and little disregard of blue lives.  They lost (i think it was 42 or 41) in the year of 2018. Yeah of course some are retiring but the others are for move obvious reason. That is an average of 6 to 7 per month. I'd like to bring up that in my town we are under-staffed anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 officers. Our guys are retiring and/or quitting faster than we can hire. Let me tell you, that over-time is super fierce. If i wanted to and was capable of i literally could work 24/7 and we'd still be short (and not just me but like 2 or 3 hundred of us could work 24/7). Thanks Obama. I appreciate your legacy. 

He didn't mention BLM. But fair enough, if we want to go there.

And yes, I still think that far-right terrorism is more dangerous. Or well, more prevalent. Dylann Roof also killed 9 civilians by himself. The Oklahoma City bombing is one of the most well-known example of anti-government extremism where 168 people died. The Anti-Defamation League also reports that the majority of police firearm incidents and killings have been from far right-wing sources in 2014:

https://www.adl.org/blog/officers-down-right-wing-extremists-attacking-police-at-growing-rate

You'll notice that Anarchist/Black Separatist terrorism used to be more prevalent.

Here's a graph of Jihadist, Far-right and Black Separatist (including the Dallas one cited) deaths from 2002 to now from New America, which I believe to be a reputable and accurate source. Once again, I can say that I would attribute Jihadist terrorism far more to far-right thinking then I would anything else.

https://www.newamerica.org/in-depth/terrorism-in-america/what-threat-united-states-today/

And politifact as well. Essentially, what these conclude is that there are more far right-wing terrorist events than Jihadist ones, but there are more deaths as a result of Jihadist terrorism currently despite fewer events (mainly due to Orlando shooting)

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/aug/16/look-data-domestic-terrorism-and-whos-behind-it/

Edited by Edgelord

2 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

That group started a movement that has crippled police across the country.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

One man's exposed systematic abuse, lack of accountability, and need for reform is another man's "crippled," I supposed. 

I'd like to bring up that in my town we are under-staffed anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 officers.

...how many municipal citations did your department issue last month, and  at any given time how many officers do you have durdling away on speed traps and highway patrol?

Suspend all ticketing duties and redirect the freed-up manpower to the actual police work of responding to emergency calls and catching dangerous criminals. You'll be fine. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

@Bolded and underlined: Oh yeah did i mention Obama and his legacy in what i just typed above this quote? That radical extreme leftist painted a huge target over the police force. Hence why depending on your city/state we take longer than pizza delivery. If anything the left has systematically crippled the country and its future by forever making police one of the least desire-able career fields. You need a force to protect the people. Instead you have a group focused on labeling cops as the worse people and then they themselves when protesting start burning and/or robbing stores right the in middle of the protest. 

I'd like to say right now i was heated up when i FIRST started typing but cooled down (because i had to break since i was cooking and had to watch the stove for a minute). If my facts are wrong please source me. I don't want to be narrow minded and only see one perspective so i appreciate the help.  I think the point of this post when i first started was that i was going to deflect and be like "we aren't that bad, your side is worse" but i know my psychology teacher would be super disappointed with me for saying sentences that infer generalizations and grouping without sourcing etc. She was pretty strict but she was so awesome (ahhh...the power of taking a step back)

Are you trying to hold Obama accountable for actions of other people when he didn't advocate violence simply because the people involved in the instance you've brought up is off the left side like Obama? Does that make sense, specially after seeing the statistics brought up by Edgelord (Tryhard, Edgelord, seriously dude? lol). Obama's guilty of several things but inciting violence against cops certainly isn't one of them as far as I can tell.

Trump has incited violence against others. He called the media the enemy of the people and then you had a Trump supporter shoot those journalists in Maryland and people were quick to blame Trump. Now, was Trump directly responsible for those deaths? Last I checked the buffoon was doing something else so he couldn't have pulled the trigger but he certainly should be held accountable for the violence from his supporters when HE IS ADVOCATING it.

Yeah, it sucks how it's been for cops over the past few years. It sucks that people seem to hate all cops because of the failings of some that have lead to Black Lives Matter. You know what else sucks? Getting shot by a cop when you're unarmed and complying with their instructions, being assaulted by a cop some stupid restaurant called for no real reason do I really need to go on here? Earlier I said the following:

The party calling for "Civility" from the Left should have more business with understanding what that is and showing it themselves before demanding it of others.

Let's alter the wording some...

Cops calling for sympathy from the people should have more business with understanding what other cops have done to the people they're supposed to "serve and protect" and try to their behavior or whatever their problems are before demanding that people are more sympathetic towards them.

Again, it sucks that those cops where killed and it sucks that cops are as hated as they are but you cannot tell me that there is no history of police brutality in the US and that cops in the US aren't shooting unarmed civilians when they (the cops) are in no danger whatsoever. I don't know what the problem with cops in the US is, I believe I read an article about a contracted trainer that flat-out trains them to "Shoot first, ask questions later specially if they're black because your life depends on it". I don't have a source for this and I haven't been able to find so I don't intend to use this to make a statement but if this is the kind of shit that cops are being taught, then maybe you should consider exposing this to the public so Police reform becomes an issue voters care about because Racism and Police brutality didn't rank on the top issues for the 2016 elections so these things being an issue in the country isn't that transparent unless you follow relevant stories. Really dude, taking such a thing so personally that you blame a guy who didn't even advocate for that shit isn't fair to him and it isn't fair to the people who have been victim of police brutality or their bad conduct. Maybe cops in the US should receive the same training in Canada, at least the few times they're seen in action they appear to display better competence and discretion. To add to the cop matter, let me tell you a little story...

I was downtown bar hopping, the year was 2016. I approach a group of girls in their late 20s to just chat and one of them brings up how she hates that cops are getting a lot of flak these. This one, is a cop, she is clearly frustrated on the matter as she brought it up with no reason whatsoever to do so. That's the subject for a very brief bit until I echo what one of her friends said that some cops do fall out of line and and the cop begins to flip, demand the conversation end and when I say "I'm just agreeing with your friend" she interrupts and puts a gun to my face. I stay silent to avoid further provocation as her friends pull her away and she's loudly ranting. I stumble upon one of her friends later and she tells me she's sorry about her cop friend, she's never seen her this angry and asks what did I and I respond with "literally. just. agreed. with. what. you. said". If that's a fucking cop's idea of defending her job from all the flak she sees as of late, anyone put in that situation is a lose-lose. You have no idea how much I wanted to punch her in the face and then point her gun towards her to see how she likes it but like I said, lose-lose situation.

Now let's be clear here: Outside of a speeding ticket (2 AM, literally nothing on the road on a highway with 80 MPH speed limit) and that aforementioned incident, I never really deal with the police so I don't hold any ill-will against any of them that hasn't done anything wrong. Now here's another reason why you should probably want Trump to be impeached: If Trump gets his way, the midterm elections don't work out and there's no impeachment happening even after the Mueller investigation reveals crimes by Trump and it amounts to treason and cause for execution, you've got a recipe for a Civil War that we're all hoping to avoid. Cops will be caught in that crossfire and they'll be against the wrong people.

Political humor of the day! I'm torn between the Mitch McConnell and Scott Pruitt ones.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

You can't pin that shooting on BLM. It was one lone actor who radically contradicted BLM's practice of non-violence. I really don't think you understand the movement in the slightest. It's not about fucking over police, it's about ending unprovoked (and far too frequently fatal) aggression from officers towards people of color (shall I make a list?). It's about challenging the criminal justice system that disproportionately affects minorities at a considerable rate. These aren't new problems either, it's just that we now live in a time where people can record video footage of racism in action (Obama is not responsible for this).

There is little accountability for this kind of injustice. Have you not considered that the lack of faith in police is just maybe stemming from the heightened awareness of shitty police officers killing people extrajudicially? There are plenty of wide-spread problems with corruption within and mistreatment from police across the country, and BLM is just one response to that. Blaming black people, Obama, and even BLM suggests you're not listening to what they are saying, and not considering that there are serious problems in law enforcement, from the systemic level down to individual officers.

Blaming Obama and the left for problems with police enforcement is pretty damn shallow logic and questionable to say the least, but I think my response above addresses that well enough. We don't need a force to protect the people, we need a service that supports the people. This isn't the America in Robocop, we're not a warzone.

Bonus viewing:

BLM is responsible for violence against police officers in the same sense that Civil Rights protestors in the 1960s were responsible for the domestic terrorism of the Weather Underground and the Black Panthers. (and in retrospect its pretty much universally agreed that the bad acts of the latter do not detract from the legitimate grievances of the former. Something that then-as-in-now wasn't entirely clear to contemporary observers)
_________

...Trump actually has incited violence. Explicitly.

Same guys who excuse him and normalize his irresponsible, fascist rhetoric--how do you suppose they would react if Obama held a rally where he told his supporters he'd pay the legal fees of anyone who beat the crap out of Tea Party protestors and base Republicans???

Edited by Shoblongoo

11 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Does that make sense, specially after seeing the statistics brought up by Edgelord (Tryhard, Edgelord, seriously dude? lol).

It's because people misread Edelgard as Edgelord, Dr. Godzilla.

11 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Trump has incited violence against others. He called the media the enemy of the people and then you had a Trump supporter shoot those journalists in Maryland and people were quick to blame Trump. Now, was Trump directly responsible for those deaths? Last I checked the buffoon was doing something else so he couldn't have pulled the trigger but he certainly should be held accountable for the violence from his supporters when HE IS ADVOCATING it..

One of the biggest prior examples was going a while back, but I'm going to invoke Her name, Sarah Palin. I've brought it up before as an example of rhetoric. 

In this case Sarah Palin ran an ad placing gunhairs with the slogan "it's time to take a stand" and urging "don't retreat, reload" on opposition that they wanted to "take out". One of the listed, Gabrielle Giffords, was shot and critically injured in 2011, but later recovered.

While the shooter's motivations were unclear, it is possible that he may have been influenced by Palin's ad, and she herself thought she could be held culpable, which lead her to removing and disowning the ad before the shooters identity was even known. 

Reminds me of when Trump said that "second amendment people" may take care of Hillary.

Edited by Edgelord

13 minutes ago, Edgelord said:

One of the biggest prior examples was going a while back, but I'm going to invoke Her name, Sarah Palin. I've brought it up before as an example of rhetoric. 

In this case Sarah Palin ran an ad placing gunhairs with the slogan "it's time to take a stand" and urging "don't retreat, reload" on opposition that they wanted to "take out". One of the listed, Gabrielle Giffords, was shot and critically injured in 2011, but later recovered.

While the shooter's motivations were unclear, it is possible that he may have been influenced by Palin's ad, and she herself thought she could be held culpable, which lead her to removing and disowning the ad before the shooters identity was even known.

Much as I thought I'd never say this, I respect her for doing that.  In hindsight, the ad is in bad taste.  Even if that was a CYA tactic, it's more classy than anything I'd expect out of the current administration.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Judge claims that students don't have a right to literacy. I figure most people would respond with disagreement to this argument but does it actually hold water at all? If it does, I'm guessing it's the language not being specific enough...

IMO it's technically correct and morally messed up.  I know public schools are beholden to crap like Common Core, so I'd like to see how this ruling aligns with that.  Or if Michigan's government even cares at this point.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Or if Michigan's government even cares at this point.

Considering Flint, I dunno how Michigan's government even calls itself a government.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

IMO it's technically correct and morally messed up.

*italics mine*

That is putting it mildly. To resort to technicalities like this seems to me like a page out of my country's government's playbook. Y'know, technicality over substance.

Occam's Razor at work: so the MI judge who brought up this ruling doesn't give two flying fiddlesticks about the importance of education in making sure a citizen functions to the best of his capabilities. Never mind contributing to society at large, but to allow the person a means of living? They might as well make it a class struggle war and get it over with, if they are so inclined.

Edited by Karimlan

6 minutes ago, Johann said:

Considering Flint, I dunno how Michigan's government even calls itself a government.

"To be fair", it is following in the footsteps of the country's current EPA when it comes to doing its job... 

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

22 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

"To be fair", it is following in the footsteps of the country's current EPA when it comes to doing its job... 

True, but it's infuriating to think about how long it's been a problem (over 4 years). It predates Trump and was directly the fault of Michigan state/local governments in an attempt to save some money. Plus, the consequences of lead exposure are permanent for the people affected, especially so for children and babies.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, eclipse said:

Much as I thought I'd never say this, I respect her for doing that.  In hindsight, the ad is in bad taste.  Even if that was a CYA tactic, it's more classy than anything I'd expect out of the current administration.

I view it more like the kid that broke something and tried to get rid of the evidence. It was out on the internet, it wasn't going to go away. I suppose you could say that her taking it down means she was saying "I'm disowning this now" but even still it should have been pretty obvious not to put crosshairs on political opponents.

But really, I suppose you're right. Trump did say he was going to jail Hillary, after all.

Surprisingly, even Fox News is printing this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/03/findings-that-russia-meddled-to-help-trump-beat-clinton-were-accurate-and-on-point-senate-intel-panel.html

Edited by Edgelord

Ted Cruz seems like the kinda guy who can vote or say whatever he wants because most of the GOP hates him anyway...  he just seems to align conservative with everything

Edited by Lord Raven

Scott Pruitt resigned, although it looks like his replacement will be more competent when it comes to deregulation.  Seems like all those investigations will still continue despite his resignation. I can't tell if we should be saying "Good Riddance" or wishing he would've remained to accumulate more shit on him and least keep someone as incompetent as he is in power.

On the other side, I think Brett Kavanaugh is probably going to be Trump's SCOTUS nominee unless he ends up listening to someone else and the Michael Cohen flip appears to have come forth.