General US Politics

Ansem

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

You want something to get bothered about, @FrostyFireMage?  Here's a story from a case I worked on a few years back.

Woman goes to a bar with her friends. Upstanding, professional woman; she had a degree in psychology and a career in clinical work. She had one (1) beer. Someone slipped something in her drink. The next morning a pair of homeowners found her passed out on their couch with their door busted open. They think she broke in, tried to rob them, and passed out drunk in their living room. They call the cops.

Cops show up and do their crime scene investigation.

Woman explains that she only had one beer before blacking out and waking up in a strange house with physical signs of rape trauma; she thinks someone drugged her, raped her, broke into the house, and left her there. 

The cops don't investigate her claim that she was drugged and raped. They accuse her of making up stories to try and get herself out of trouble. Then they arrest her and charge her with burglary + criminal trespass. 

At some point, they perform a bloodtest on her. They never release the results of the bloodtest. They claim they don't have the results of the bloodtest and that they can't investigate her claims or drop the charges against her until they have the results of the bloodtest. This goes on for months.

The cops were lying--they had the results of the bloodtest.

We know the cops had the results of the bloodtest because the woman came to our office, told us what was going on, and we sued the police + compelled them to produce the contents of their investigatory file as part of the lawsuit.

The file showed that they had the results of the bloodtest within days of the reported incident and that the woman had almost no alcohol in her system--which would have been impossible if she had gotten so drunk the night before that she had blacked out--but that she had tested positive for rohypnol. (i.e. "the date rape drug")

The cops had the results of that test and knew this woman had been drugged and raped within days of the initial incident.

...and they never pursued it...

Because they made the snap-judgment when they arrived on scene that the victim was just a rock-bottom drunk who had so much to drink the night before that she didn't remember having sex with a random stranger and committing a break-in.   

And once evidence to the contrary emerged, they didn't want to admit they were wrong.
_________

^^^
THAT's a problem. That's a real problem.

Men getting pissy because accusers actually get to confront them on equal footing now without a starting assumption that the woman wanted it or is making it up isn't a problem. 

I want to say "please tell me these cops were fired" but it's a safe assumption the answer's no. Holy shit these guys 

18 minutes ago, Time the Crestfallen said:

Nah, there's more to it than that. Hysteria surrounding false rape accusations has been a thing in the Red Pill and MRA circles of the internet way before Trump or #MeToo got started. I should know, because I (though I loath to admit it) bought into some of it when I going through my 'Enlightened Centrist®' phase.

MRA?

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how do you guys feel about the economy? I think our economy is okay in the short term, so I think it is a factor that should help Republicans keep their seats.

Next year, I am not so sure the economy will be doing okay. The boost from tax cuts is not sustainable and we still have some tariffs on our allies (NAFTA 2.0 did not remove tariffs on aluminum and steel I think, and Trump's stupid protectionism is starting to infest Canada too). The trade war with China also is not good for the economy, and our farmers are already suffering, but I will give Trump a pass on that one since it is one of the few policies I agree with and that farmers so far are willing to put up with it.

I don't buy into the "Economy is doing great" nonsense as experts are suggesting we will see a recession as a result of the tax cuts. Republicans also tout the GDP being good but ignoring the fact that it is very possible to have both the best GDP but also the most poverty. The unemployment rate is also flawed.

The day I'll believe anything a Republican says about the Economy is a day in which there's no teacher having to pay for Student's supplies out of their own pocket and needing 2 jobs to get by.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

The day I'll believe anything a Republican says about the Economy is a day in which there's no teacher having to pay for Student's supplies out of their own pocket and needing 2 jobs to get by.

Well, see, that's where a difference in politics comes in.

Republicans want teachers to be poor and public schools to be underfunded. So for them, that's the sign of things going well.

Edited by Slumber

43 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Well, see, that's where a difference in politics comes in.

Republicans want teachers to be poor and public schools to be underfunded. So for them, that's the sign of things going well.

If that's also what Republican voters want, that pretty fucking sad. I'm inclined to believe they don't want that and just end up voting Republican over other things while ignoring this.

1 minute ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

If that's also what Republican voters want, that pretty fucking sad. I'm inclined to believe they don't want that and just end up voting Republican over other things while ignoring this.

Voters don't largely want it, but the politicians do. If they describe public schools as a social program that drains on taxpayers, which is how they always sell it, they can get their supporters on board with cutting school funding, though.

And of course it goes hand in hand with the continued negative light that republicans paint unions in, which is how a lot of teachers get leverage when it comes to funding and pay.

I'd like to think Republican voters and Republican politicans are mostly estranged from each other.

Just like most Democrat politicans and Democrat voters.

But these days I don't even know. I was speaking to someone who didn't call themself a Republican, just a Trump voter, and he was going on about how Kavanaugh was "pro-constitution". I pointed out to him the instances in which Kavanaugh was blatantly against the Fourth Ammendment and authoritarian, and his only response was to shrug it off and say he supports the first and second Ammendments (I have doubts for the former) which are the "important ones" right now for America. He also said that "the deep state/the swamp had been in charge too long" which made me lmao at the praising of the Bush appointee.

He also asked why I cared since I'm not an American and don't really have significance in the American constitution, but I've found it's generally more effective to argue from Trump supporters perspectives going against what Trump said he would do i.e why is the wall not getting built (even though I think it's a thoroughly dumb position), why is he signing globalist free trade renewals of NAFTA, why is he not pulling troops out of conflicts like Afghanistan and actually increasing drone strikes and troop deployment completely contradicting what he said before, etc, but I find it still not very successful.

Reconciling these people after Trump is gone is going to be a hard task, if it's even possible.

Edited by Edgelord

2 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Reconciling these people after Trump is gone is going to be a hard task, if it's even possible.

As a minority in America, from how I see it, it is because Trump is white. If Obama started a trade war with China, I bet those same farmers will not be putting country over profit first.

2 hours ago, Sarracenia said:

Looks like the INF Treaty between the U.S. and Russia could soon come to an end.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/21/659275572/u-s-to-end-cold-war-era-nuclear-arms-treaty-with-russia-trump-says

On one hand, I think this is a bad move.  But on the other hand, I'd like to know how the hell Trump came to the conclusion that he did. . .because if there is merit to that accusation, then it's not completely out of left field.

31 minutes ago, eclipse said:

On one hand, I think this is a bad move.  But on the other hand, I'd like to know how the hell Trump came to the conclusion that he did. . .because if there is merit to that accusation, then it's not completely out of left field.

The Obama administration said Russia violated the INF treaty in 2014 by testing a ground-launched cruise missile. But the Obama administration "chose not to leave the agreement because of objections from the Europeans — particularly Germany — and out of concern that it would rekindle an arms race," The New York Times noted.

I't not impossible that this was either

A. Done as a move to add something else to the list of things he has "accomplished".

B. Done because Obama didn't do it and our European allies objected to it which plays into his dislike of NATO and US allies in general.

C. Done as an excuse to now spend even more money on military.

It could very well be all of the above but it's also another example of Trump doing what Putin literally wants of America.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I't not impossible that this was either

A. Done as a move to add something else to the list of things he has "accomplished".

B. Done because Obama didn't do it and our European allies objected to it which plays into his dislike of NATO and US allies in general.

C. Done as an excuse to now spend even more money on military.

It could very well be all of the above but it's also another example of Trump doing what Putin literally wants of America.

I see it as a move of insecurity.  "If they're not going to play by the rules, then neither will I" sort of deal.

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

I see it as a move of insecurity.  "If they're not going to play by the rules, then neither will I" sort of deal.

I think both sides are very insecure.

Putin does not like the expansion of NATO eastward, which is understandable, but he also got to realize that Eastern Europe just recently won back their liberty about 30 years ago, and you cannot expect them to forget being oppressed and abused for about 40 years before that.

As for Trump, I agree with @Dr. Tarrasque that it is probably a combination of those three reasons, but I think padding his list of accomplishments is most likely the biggest one. His list of accomplishments frankly is not quite high unless you are a Republican. Muslim ban, trade spats with allies, haphazard deregulation, dialogue with North Korea, pulling out of Iran deal, pulling out of Paris climate deal, etc. are all fuck ups rather than accomplishments and he cannot really use them to woo over independent voters for the coming midterms.

- - - - - - -

"Voters give Democrats higher marks on looking out for the interests of women and the middle class, handling health care, and immigration. They rate Republicans higher on handling the economy, trade, and the Supreme Court justice nomination process."

What the fuck are we smoking to think Republicans are competent at handling the economy and fucking TRADE? Do we not see the irony in TRADE?

Who the hell do they think implemented Trickle Down economics and contributed to rising income inequality? Who contributed to the Great Recession the most with no oversight and no regulation? Who do they think will cause and make the next recession more severe with, oh I do not know, unsustainable tax cuts, deregulation, and little infrastructure spending? Who put us in a fucking TRADE WAR and dozens of TRADE SPATS WITH TARIFFS ON ALLIES?

Okay, maybe the last one is not reflective of Republicans as whole and while I support the trade war, I am in the minority, and most people and economists would agree the trade war is bad.

I will give people a pass for not understanding economics (Again, who do they think cut education spending in the first place?), so maybe they think the economy will be equally great next year. But TRADE? Seriously? That is just unbelievably dumb in my opinion.

Here is another article sounding alarms with the trade war affecting our economy. Are we really that dense? The article may be from MSNBC, but people cannot pretend they do not see these headlines every fucking day informing people the dangers of trade wars. You might not agree with everything they say, but trade wars are bad is not a fucking joke. Hell, if the next Great Depression happens, I would argue we deserve it and we as a nation need to fucking starve to get that fact drilled into our head.

Edited by XRay

6 hours ago, XRay said:

Putin does not like the expansion of NATO eastward, which is understandable, but he also got to realize that Eastern Europe just recently won back their liberty about 30 years ago, and you cannot expect them to forget being oppressed and abused for about 40 years before that.

And not to mention all those centuries before that. Russia had already developed the habit of destroying Poland and occupying it long before the days of Communism. Things like that are why I don't really sympathize with the Russians over NATO expansions since Russia itself already proved that its neighbors should be very wary of them. 

Interesting events regarding that. Though I think Trump's modus operandi is to pull out of treaties instead of trying to engage in diplomacy in any way in general. See: paris climate agreement, Iran deal. I don't think he's as much of a dealmaker as he says he is.

By the way, Trump had some interesting things to say about the whole Gianforte thing a week ago, the one that he admitted and was charged with misdemeanour assault over? It really kinda defeats any credibility you have when talking about the "violent left" and "antifa" and all that when you praise the politician that body slammed a reporter he didn't like.

Edited by Edgelord

On 10/22/2018 at 7:48 PM, Edgelord said:

By the way, Trump had some interesting things to say about the whole Gianforte thing a week ago, the one that he admitted and was charged with misdemeanour assault over? It really kinda defeats any credibility you have when talking about the "violent left" and "antifa" and all that when you praise the politician that body slammed a reporter he didn't like.

Remember when the left was violent when trying to protest Kavanaugh? What is the right when they're when they're issuing death threats to Jeff Flake? 

Good news

If only Gavin McInnes was arrested too.

Republican getting some flank for joking about sexual assault, claimed she got hacked.

At the end of the video, Shep Smith responds to angry viewer about the Caravan

David Jolly on Trump's "middle class" tax cuts

On that last one, seriously, how hard is it to just say Trump is lying?

EDIT: Apparently the Saudis are so bad at their cover-up that even Trump will publicly say it.

Literally voted for a transparent bigot, how did you not see this coming?

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Remember when the left was violent when trying to protest Kavanaugh? What is the right when they're when they're issuing death threats to Jeff Flake? 

It's my opinion that the whole "left vs. right" game shouldn't be getting played at all when it comes to violence - but the fact that it is quite common that people say that it is the left that are committing violent acts in majority (which isn't correct when you look at statistics) just makes this futile. Violence for a political reason can easily be associated as terrorism, and I don't care who that is coming from, it's the hypocrisy that gets to me.

4 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

EDIT: Apparently the Saudis are so bad at their cover-up that even Trump will publicly say it.

Well, after he parroted a Saudi spokesmans line about how it could be anyone including rogue killers to begin with, and then completely changes his viewpoint within a week when it was obvious to begin with. That said, if Trump really is willing to say the obvious, then he should. It's just probably not going to change anything about the unethical relationship the US (and others) have with Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Edgelord

Someone has been a Busy Bee. Obama, CNN, Soros and other left wing figures all received bomb threats this week. 

Conveniently all people who are endlessly demonized by the populist front. Though surely Trumps words didn't have any impact on whatever freak did this..... 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/24/suspected-bombs-sent-hillary-clinton-barack-obama-white-house/

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Someone has been a Busy Bee. Obama, CNN, Soros and other left wing figures all received bomb threats this week. 

Conveniently all people who are endlessly demonized by the populist front. Though surely Trumps words didn't have any impact on whatever freak did this..... 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/24/suspected-bombs-sent-hillary-clinton-barack-obama-white-house/

Ted Cruz's take

John Bolton ally

Fox news expert

Rush Limbaugh

The_Donald (I know, it's a cesspit of the worst)

I was gonna bring up the George Soros thing yesterday but I want to see what they found about the suspect.

Personally, I'm not surprised in the slightest if it is a Trump fan that's behind this. It's literally what the orange turd has been fostering throughout his presidency. The parkland shooter was a trump fan, Gazette shooter was a Trump fanSanta Fe shooter was a Trump fanAustin bomber appeared to be right-wingright-wing terrorism has been surging under Trump.

So, any bets on how long before Trump forgets his teleprompter/scripted speech and starts peddling a conspiracy theory on this? He's got a rally tonight and on a Friday, I'm guessing it will be on either of these.

EDIT: Looks like the Salman have found their scapegoat and may reveal it soon

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Apparently the US Army tried to prove that Antifa is a national security threat. They failed to prove it. Unclassified documents can be found in the daily beast link.

Judge blocks deposition video of Kris Kobach suggesting the already released transcript is enough. We already have "Fake Bombs" going around, might as well settle for "Fake Transcripts" huh?

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

The world's most dangerous super villain, Florida Man, has been arrested in connection with the mail bombs. 

They should just put Florida Man away for good, he's done so much harm. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

The world's most dangerous super villain, Florida Man, has been arrested in connection with the mail bombs. 

They should just put Florida Man away for good, he's done so much harm. 

He's in pretty big problems. I doubt the justice department will feel like going soft on someone who tried to assassinate or at least threaten two former presidents. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He's in pretty big problems. I doubt the justice department will feel like going soft on someone who tried to assassinate or at least threaten two former presidents. 

Yeah. He's in his 50s, and I'd be surprised if he saw life outside of a jail cell ever again before the end of his life.

Supposing he actually did it, obviously.