General US Politics

Ansem

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

I was being facetious. Plenty of people brought up the implications of electing Trump, and lo and behold, here we are, with his base upset with something everyone told them would happen. 

Political experience doesn't matter much when it comes to making decisions when you're the most powerful man in the world. Especially when every other branch of the government is part of the same party. 

Political experience matters a whole lot when it comes to making informed decisions. 

Trump's fulfilled campaign promises, but how many of them are working out as intended? Or without caveats? 

Are you trying to take the piss, or perhaps super jaded? Because I'm not sure I should take this post seriously.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I guess this is what it takes for middle class folks to turn on Trump. Wonder if turning a blind eye to his racism and gaslighting was worth this.

Yeah. People tend to realize ideology or hatred or whatever else is overrated when it actively hurts them. Especially since it's now associated with Trumpism or whatever.

I dunno, I'm high and maybe being a bit idealistic. I don't think Trump will win thanks to tax season.

10 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

Are you trying to take the piss, or perhaps super jaded? Because I'm not sure I should take this post seriously.

I could have probably worded it better, as that came across as "Only politicians should do politics", but Trump is definitely not an argument for "Anybody can do politics". Some orange idiot in a bad hairpiece managing to pass a few things he said he would because he had the FULL support of the government isn't something that screams "AN OUTSIDER DID THIS!". He did things anybody could do in his position.

And Trump is still on the backfoot when it comes to fulfilling his biggest campaign promise. Which is where his lack of experience really shows, and is harming everyone. Nobody besides him and the uneducated among his base thinks the wall is a good idea. Yet the government was just shut down for over a month because of it, and he's alluded that he'll do it again.

So yeah. I'm super fucking jaded.

Now here's something good from someone in the government, shedding some light on the situation that should already be obvious to everyone in the US. Should be followed up with a demonstration showing how a KFC employee is held to higher ethical standards than the current president and congress.

Supreme Court of United States just struck down a Louisiana abortion law that would have all but ended legal abortion in the state, with new restrictions on clinics and service providers.

Interesting because this is the first time the abortion issue has come before SCOTUS since Kavanaugh took the bench.

And there were of course concerns that Kavanaugh would swing the balance of the Court to a majority in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade.  (Susan Collins was seen as one of the Senators who could have blocked his nomination by coming out against it, and who agreed to support him after proclaiming she was confident Kavanaugh would not vote to restrict abortion rights. Susan's gonna have some explaining to do.)

The vote was 5-4, Justice Kavanaugh dissenting. With Chief Justice John Roberts (a Bush appointment generally viewed as one on the more conservative judges on the bench and one of the potential votes to overturn Roe) siding with the liberals to strike down the law.

_______

John Roberts endorsed the legal analysis and ruling of Federal District Judge John DeGravelles. Affirming that:

"For more than 40 years, it has been settled constitutional law that the Fourteenth Amendment protects a woman’s basic right to choose an abortion.” Jackson Women’s Health Org. v. Currier, 760 F.3d 448, 453 (5th Cir. 2014) (citing Roe, 410 U.S. at 153)."

AND

"Unnecessary health regulations that have the purpose or effect of presenting a substantial obstacle in the path of a woman seeking abortion impose an undue burden on the right.  (quoting Casey, 505 U.S. at 878. 107 403). “The rule announced in Casey requires that courts consider the burdens a law imposes on abortion access together with the benefits those laws confer.” (citing Casey, 505 U.S. at 887). This balancing of benefits and burdens is central to addressing the question of whether any burden imposed on abortion access is undue."

Looking pretty clear from this language that John Roberts is NOT going to be a [yes] vote in favor of overturning Roe v. Wade.

The balance of the Court is still 5-4. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

6 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Now here's something good from someone in the government, shedding some light on the situation that should already be obvious to everyone in the US. Should be followed up with a demonstration showing how a KFC employee is held to higher ethical standards than the current president and congress.

AOC's been pretty impressive in the short time she's been in congress.

aoc is an interesting case, but i do get some enjoyment out of being told that she's dumb and says dumb things by people who support Donald Trump

That said, in a similar way she navigates the media and attacks against her effectively. "I'm rubber and you're glue" is now a political quality, apparently.

10 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

I'm not willing to base my opinion of someone on them owning the conservatives

Ya, they make it too easy.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

EDIT: Guys, the Republicans in Pennsylvania are FINALLY doing something about school shootings!

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Fuck that. We should tax fake news agencies then for sprouting bullshit that is actually damaging to society.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, Tryhard said:

aoc is an interesting case

The future is now

51272968_10217916549726086_8682197219731832832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=9ad374517ff99ff4d4aee6ab766f7e76&oe=5CB89F6F

It is kinda hilarious listening to all the old fogies freak out about how "radical" her positions are and wondering how someone like that can get elected.

...not yet realizing that she's representing the majority politics of voters-under-30 + what the mainstream body-politic is probably going to look like in ~20 years...

________

There is something to be said for he who masters the newest form of communication before his opponents controls the messaging. 

The first politicians to master getting their message out on radio had an inordinate advantage over politicians still stuck on newspaper. (that was the magic behind FDR)

The first politicians to master getting their message out on television had an inordinate advantage  over politicians still stuck on radio. (that was the magic behind JFK)

The first politicians to master getting heir message out on social media had an inordinate advantage over politicians still stuck on television. (thats been Trump's ace-in-the-hole)

Trump-era dems have been largely impotent at adapting to the new medium, and getting their messaging out on social media.

AOC has been the first Trump-era newcomer from a generation fluent in social media as its primary form of communication, who outside the confines of some admittedly awkward appearances on cable new has been effective in getting her message out + beating back her critics through the art of:

Image result for AoC tweets

Related image

^^^

Like--plz make this woman the party's social media chair.

At the very least, sit senior leadership down with her for 10 minutes for a crash course in how-to-throw-shade-on-twitter 

Edited by Shoblongoo

If her ideas see more Republican support like the marginal tax on the rich, she could eventually be. I wouldn't put my hopes on that though, it's not just the GOP that will be obstructing progressives.

Still, it'd probably be more effective to bring the top GOP members down than elevating one person. The 2018 Taxes could be the key to flip states in the next election, it's something the maga idiots can't call fake news on. It's a real shame that the elections are not this year when the uproar over the 2018 Taxes and government shutdown is fresh on people's minds.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

On 09/02/2019 at 10:38 AM, Excellen Browning said:

I'm not willing to base my opinion of someone on them owning the conservatives

considering most of the democrats fail to be able to do so this is actually a sad standard

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

considering most of the democrats fail to be able to do so this is actually a sad standard

To my knowledge most elected democrats are still trying to figure out who ocasia-cortez is, and where she'll fit in. 

That's not to say that she isn't being served up as the next big democratic saviour by some of the general public but what can you do.

35 minutes ago, Excellen Browning said:

To my knowledge most elected democrats are still trying to figure out who ocasia-cortez is, and where she'll fit in. 

this is more an indictment on that she doesn't have a place within the current democrat circles then a point against her. and there's a reason for that.

i can find things to criticise her on definitely but this ain't it, chief

Edited by Tryhard

24 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

this is more an indictment on that she doesn't have a place within the current democrat circles then a point against her. and there's a reason for that.

i can find things to criticise her on definitely but this ain't it, chief

I'm not critizing her for, I'm just remarking that it doesn't look like the (elected) democrats are fawning over her for owning a bunch of conservatives on twitter, and trying to find out who she is. She was a literal unknown when she was elected and has been in congress for... a month?

So it seems that Trump is declaring a state of emergency despite there not being an emergency. 

Does this means the Democrats can declare a state of emergency to get some actual healthcare when they are in power? Can the next Republican declare a state of emergency to arrange another tax cut? A president falsely declaring a state of emergency to get his pet project passed could start a pretty nasty trend. 

Besides a tax reform bill... what did the Republicans even pass in the time frame where they had all three branches of government under their control

I'm pretty astounded Trump didn't get funding for a border wall in the first two years. That was one of his major goals... right?

1 hour ago, Pixelman said:

Besides a tax reform bill... what did the Republicans even pass in the time frame where they had all three branches of government under their control

I'm pretty astounded Trump didn't get funding for a border wall in the first two years. That was one of his major goals... right?

It's because The Wall is a fucking stupid idea, and he knows that even the republicans wouldn't pass it.

So he waited until the democrats had some power in the government so that it didn't become immediately transparent that not even republicans are on board. This way Fox News and their ilk can pass the issue off like a bipartisan issue when... it's really not. Neither side really wants it.

Edited by Slumber