[Team If] Fire Emblem If Fanslation (All chapters and paralogues done)

Cellenseres

1. But, isn't the purpose of Sky3DS being an easier way to use Homebrew? I thought it was acting as a separate syndicate so that you didn't have to heavily modify your 3DS. Granted, you'd still be installing stuff through it, but I thought it made the process easy.

2. Ah, so basically it will be uncut Fire Emblem Fates? By this point, all it is bringing back that I am aware of is petting (below A rank), a few cut scenes and other things that were notably censored?

3. Hmm, that's why I was thinking Sky3DS was easier, but I guess I was wrong.

4. I see. What I was thinking of another option is for those that want to play the game fully uncut that they just insert all English voices and cut-scenes into IF as an alternate patch for those that want the voices in English. Is that something being worked on, or is that too hard to program?

Others have answered these pretty well; the other main thing returning for 2 (and what most people care about) is the JP names.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Sky3DS can be used to play unmodified ROMs, and gives you more entry points to homebrew.

2. Yeah... it's basically a translation of the Japanese version and (hopefully this including petting) the uncensored version of Fire Emblem Fates.

3. Once you've got homebrew and an entry point that Sky3DS becomes useless (unless you plan on using it as an entry point to homebrew every time)

4. After reading the OP it looks like they're not working on that. Though don't quote me on that.

1. Hmm, I see. By this point, it's cheaper than buying Cubic Ninja, though.

2. That's really interesting. Though, if they're working on patching Fates, I wonder if it'd be easier to insert cut content into that or inserting English voices into IF.

3. Well, loading ".3ds" files also works on Sky3DS and it has its own independent microSD slot so that you don't have to unscrew the back of the system every time. It's also a good method for the original 3DS.

4. Someone told me that inserting the English cut-scenes (since subtitles would be impossible) and just leaving the in-game voices Japanese would not be a hard task to accomplish since it's just a matter of switching FMV files around.

1. Hmm, I see. By this point, it's cheaper than buying Cubic Ninja, though.

2. That's really interesting. Though, if they're working on patching Fates, I wonder if it'd be easier to insert cut content into that or inserting English voices into IF.

3. Well, loading ".3ds" files also works on Sky3DS and it has its own independent microSD slot so that you don't have to unscrew the back of the system every time. It's also a good method for the original 3DS.

4. Someone told me that inserting the English cut-scenes (since subtitles would be impossible) and just leaving the in-game voices Japanese would not be a hard task to accomplish since it's just a matter of switching FMV files around.

1. If you have Sky3DS why not just load Cubic Ninja onto that.

2. Who knows, who cares? We're gonna patch Fates, not If, for this.

3. Why would you have to unscrew the back of the system? Just use Browserhax or something and you'll be into the Homebrew launcher.

4. Not FMV, it's a unique codec called moflex. We have a decoder right now, but not an encoder, so we can't subtitle the video and put it back in. Not to mention it MIGHT* be copyrighted content.

Hello, I've been lurking around for some time and only just decided to create an account. Thank you to the team for the hardwork on the project :)

As one may expect, I came with a question. So, the background here is that I cleared the game in Japanese on my jp 3ds, but I got an eshop copy of the game due to a tight schedule at that time. I've been reading this topic and others for a while and I'm pretty sure that braindump would not be able to extract the romfs from my copy due to the 9.6 encryption in newer eshop downloaded games. I've also verified it on my own and while menuhax worked perfectly on my 3ds (currently firmware version 10.5) I was only greeted by a red screen when trying to run braindump, hence no romfs files.

My question is then to ask, are the extracted files from braindump technically the same across all versions- be it retail or eshop? Then, if I were to borrow a retail cartridge from a friend, run braindump on it, extract the files, run the remaining steps- return the cartridge; would it yield the same results? Or, if I were to somehow obtain the dumped files, drop it in my sd card containing my game and run the remaining steps on them, would it yield the same results?

On another note, not sure if you guys are still in need of translators, since the whole game's translation has been practically complete. But I could offer some help with translating the supports, if it's needed.

Thank you and have a good day.

edit: I also have another question- as mentioned above, I'm (unfortunately) on firmware 10.5, will the final patch be available for those above firmware 10.3? This is to help me consider if I should get a physical copy of feif instead, thanks.

Edited by QuirkiDigital

Hello, I've been lurking around for some time and only just decided to create an account. Thank you to the team for the hardwork on the project :)

As one may expect, I came with a question. So, the background here is that I cleared the game in Japanese on my jp 3ds, but I got an eshop copy of the game due to a tight schedule at that time. I've been reading this topic and others for a while and I'm pretty sure that braindump would not be able to extract the romfs from my copy due to the 9.6 encryption in newer eshop downloaded games. I've also verified it on my own and while menuhax worked perfectly on my 3ds (currently firmware version 10.5) I was only greeted by a red screen when trying to run braindump, hence no romfs files.

My question is then to ask, are the extracted files from braindump technically the same across all versions- be it retail or eshop? Then, if I were to borrow a retail cartridge from a friend, run braindump on it, extract the files, run the remaining steps- return the cartridge; would it yield the same results? Or, if I were to somehow obtain the dumped files, drop it in my sd card containing my game and run the remaining steps on them, would it yield the same results?

On another note, not sure if you guys are still in need of translators, since the whole game's translation has been practically complete. But I could offer some help with translating the supports, if it's needed.

Thank you and have a good day.

edit: I also have another question- as mentioned above, I'm (unfortunately) on firmware 10.5, will the final patch be available for those above firmware 10.3? This is to help me consider if I should get a physical copy of feif instead, thanks.

For fw 10.5? Your only option is the homebrew HANS method, lol. Also, you can't really just drop it into the SD card containing your game, since your fw is higher than 9.2, so you don't have access to cfws or anything that you would need to play a modified rom. (Also uhh, having a physical cartridge makes this process a LOT simpler - I can't even remember if people have actually done it with downloaded versions, but I know our initial patcher didn't support it).

Well, we could use translators, but we're planning on scrubbing the rest of the supports. If you wanna do some, feel free to pm me...

The final patch? Depends on if you can use *hax or downgrade. That's not up to us.

Question about the restoration patches in the future. Will they be compatible with each other? For example, would I be able to patch amie restoration, Japanese dub restoration, and Japanese name restoration all at once?

The patcher will automatically determine which version of the game you have (or it should). We'll then release the patch files in little zip "packs." Whatever you want, you'll just need to unzip that and drop it into a folder that the patcher will pull drop. Any combination is viable.

For fw 10.5? Your only option is the homebrew HANS method, lol. Also, you can't really just drop it into the SD card containing your game, since your fw is higher than 9.2, so you don't have access to cfws or anything that you would need to play a modified rom. (Also uhh, having a physical cartridge makes this process a LOT simpler - I can't even remember if people have actually done it with downloaded versions, but I know our initial patcher didn't support it).

Well, we could use translators, but we're planning on scrubbing the rest of the supports. If you wanna do some, feel free to pm me...

The final patch? Depends on if you can use *hax or downgrade. That's not up to us.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I went to read up a bit after your comment- so it seems I've driven myself down a rather steep slope, having to hardmod my 3ds if I were to downgrade from 10.5. Hopefully it'll be possible to dump files of higher encryption versions in the future. Not sure if the reason for the red screen on both Braindump and Hans was due to my copy being an eshop version or that it's more of my firmware version. Might get a 2nd hand physical copy to verify, eventually. I've seen accounts (well, one) on youtube claiming they managed to run the english patch on 10.5 so far.

Thanks again. Also, by scrubbing, do you mean comparing the English script with the Japanese one and make changes to the translation if needed?

Edited by QuirkiDigital

Thanks for the prompt reply. I went to read up a bit after your comment- so it seems I've driven myself down a rather steep slope, having to hardmod my 3ds if I were to downgrade from 10.5. Hopefully it'll be possible to dump files of higher encryption versions in the future. Not sure if the reason for the red screen on both Braindump and Hans was due to my copy being an eshop version or that it's more of my firmware version. Might get a 2nd hand physical copy to verify, eventually. I've seen accounts (well, one) on youtube claiming they managed to run the english patch on 10.5 so far.

Thanks again. Also, by scrubbing, do you mean comparing the English script with the Japanese one and make changes to the translation if needed?

Technically speaking, borrowing the cartridge from your friend, extracting the romfs and using that through HANS should work, provided it is the exact same version/region of the game, of course, this has a chance of not working in the first place, but it'd be easier to test than having to hardmod your 3DS (although Hardmodding would be a good thing, as you'd be able to downgrade to 9.2 to run CFW, plus you'd have a NAND backup that would easily fix your 3DS if it bricks).

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm hoping on some clarifications on the English Patch.

Sorry for the noob questions, never done this before... so, I have 10.5 Firmware on a NA 3ds and I have homebrew Launcher (through menuhax), would I still be able to play the currently released patch through HANS? Or do I still need Cubic Ninja (Ninjhax) or Gateway Launcher? Would it be possible to play JP games with homebrew on a NA 3ds?

Thanks.

Hello all,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm hoping on some clarifications on the English Patch.
Sorry for the noob questions, never done this before... so, I have 10.5 Firmware on a NA 3ds and I have homebrew Launcher (through menuhax), would I still be able to play the currently released patch through HANS? Or do I still need Cubic Ninja (Ninjhax) or Gateway Launcher? Would it be possible to play JP games with homebrew on a NA 3ds?
Thanks.

If you already have Menuhax you don't need anything else, and yes, with HANS you can play JP Games, just remember to set the region to JPN in HANS and you're good to go.

If you already have Menuhax you don't need anything else, and yes, with HANS you can play JP Games, just remember to set the region to JPN in HANS and you're good to go.

Thanks for your prompt reply :).

Then if I wanted to play Fire Emblem If, I would just to get the JP physical copy and I would be good to go? Also, since I'll be on NA 3ds, does that mean I have to purchase 2 physical copies for the two route (no access to JP eshop)...

And how would I go about getting IK, the DLC? Do I need to wait for the NA release to play that? Would the patch for that work on HANS as well?

Sorry for the many questions, but any clarifications would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your prompt reply :).

Then if I wanted to play Fire Emblem If, I would just to get the JP physical copy and I would be good to go? Also, since I'll be on NA 3ds, does that mean I have to purchase 2 physical copies for the two route (no access to JP eshop)...

And how would I go about getting IK, the DLC? Do I need to wait for the NA release to play that? Would the patch for that work on HANS as well?

Sorry for the many questions, but any clarifications would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you'd need two physical carts to play the black and white path. But you don't get to play IK because that's DLC, and you can't access the Japanese eShop. It also doesn't work with HANS.

You'll either need both physical copies, or a JP Special Edition. You won't be able to play IK with the JP game, you'll have to get the NA game to do that. Even if you had a JP 3ds though, you can't patch DLC using hans, the process required to use the team's IK translation is extremely complicated and we don't officially support it. The only "easy" way to patch IK is likely going to require a NA/EU Special Edition.

Yes, you'd need two physical carts to play the black and white path. But you don't get to play IK because that's DLC, and you can't access the Japanese eShop. It also doesn't work with HANS.

You'll either need both physical copies, or a JP Special Edition. You won't be able to play IK with the JP game, you'll have to get the NA game to do that. Even if you had a JP 3ds though, you can't patch DLC using hans, the process required to use the team's IK translation is extremely complicated and we don't officially support it. The only "easy" way to patch IK is likely going to require a NA/EU Special Edition.

Thanks for the replies, guys, really appreciated it.

Then if I were to wait for the NA restoration patch, and just buy the NA copies, would the patch eventually work with the DLC version of IK or do I need it in the physical copy as well?

Is it basically down to just buying either JP special edition (for current released patch) or NA/EU special editions (for future restoration patch)?

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry haven't been on for a while but I have many questions regarding the restoration patches that will be available for the NA version soon I also read the OP but I would like direct feedback from the ones working on it since I'm getting the SE version:

1.Do you only need a 3ds, SD card (to put the patches in) and the game in my case the SE version? if not for I need Homebrew and additional software?

2.Will the patches fix the short confession scenes discovered today from Gamexplain's spouse/kid video? Also will there be text translations for voices in them if not that's fine.

3.Say I only want the Amie restoration patch if I rub someone will the quotes be translated to English or do I need the undub patch?

4.Can you give me a simple way how patching the NA version will work in case I forget.

5.What do you mean by "scrubbing" supports in the NA version if reading correctly?

6.Finally once it's done will you make a video or update guide for people wanting to intall the patch in any NA version?

Sorry if it's long and confusing because I am planning to install these patches when the game comes out really soon so I just really need feedback and thanks in advance!

NEWS accessory shop altered will there be a patch for this too?

Edited by SpellHexerOrochi

1. If you have Sky3DS why not just load Cubic Ninja onto that.

2. Who knows, who cares? We're gonna patch Fates, not If, for this.

3. Why would you have to unscrew the back of the system? Just use Browserhax or something and you'll be into the Homebrew launcher.

4. Not FMV, it's a unique codec called moflex. We have a decoder right now, but not an encoder, so we can't subtitle the video and put it back in. Not to mention it MIGHT* be copyrighted content.

Sorry, I did not notice you replied to this earlier before I posted that again, cause I just noticed the "75" page number. But, to continue anyway:

1. I can do that?

2. No DLC for me, I guess :(

3. Wasn't that patched with the most recent 3DS update?

4. I do not particularly care about the English voices myself either, but I just figured that the Japanese cut-scenes wouldn't have subtitles and so I wanted to be able to at least understand those. Guess I can just use YouTube.

Sorry haven't been on for a while but I have many questions regarding the restoration patches that will be available for the NA version soon I also read the OP but I would like direct feedback from the ones working on it since I'm getting the SE version:

1.Do you only need a 3ds, SD card (to put the patches in) and the game in my case the SE version? if not for I need Homebrew and additional software?

2.Will the patches fix the short confession scenes discovered today from Gamexplain's spouse/kid video? Also will there be text translations for voices in them if not that's fine.

3.Say I only want the Amie restoration patch if I rub someone will the quotes be translated to English or do I need the undub patch?

4.Can you give me a simple way how patching the NA version will work in case I forget.

5.What do you mean by "scrubbing" supports in the NA version if reading correctly?

6.Finally once it's done will you make a video or update guide for people wanting to intall the patch in any NA version?

Sorry if it's long and confusing because I am planning to install these patches when the game comes out really soon so I just really need feedback and thanks in advance!

NEWS accessory shop altered will there be a patch for this too?

1. Yes you need a 3DS and the game. You apply the patch on your PC.

2. Please read the previous pages.

3. Read the OP.

4. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same as JPN version. I don't know though, because the patch isn't out yet.

5. They're going to be taking the NA supports and polishing it for the JP version (don't quote me on that, the team might have a different meaning for that).

Sorry, I did not notice you replied to this earlier before I posted that again, cause I just noticed the "75" page number. But, to continue anyway:

1. I can do that?

2. No DLC for me, I guess :(

3. Wasn't that patched with the most recent 3DS update?

4. I do not particularly care about the English voices myself either, but I just figured that the Japanese cut-scenes wouldn't have subtitles and so I wanted to be able to at least understand those. Guess I can just use YouTube.

1. Yes, I said you can run unmodified 3DS roms with Sky3DS. You can't run a patch on a Sky3DS, as that would be a modified rom.

3. Nope, browserhax is still working.

Supports will be scrubbed and released after the NA release, that was the agreement. Our highest priority right now is working on Amie restoration, name fixing, and the like. (Everyone in the group is taking a break)

If you guys "scrub" the NA supports, can you give us a comparison?

Can you redirect me to the page of question 2 also will there be a patch to restore the accessory shop?

Isn't that included in Amie? We really need to see the code first.

is there a way to reload a save without having to restart the game ?

Wat?

If you guys "scrub" the NA supports, can you give us a comparison?

Compare the ones yourself online lol. Someone will upload NA supports..

Yup. We're literally going to scrub the dirt off the localization.

I see, then if that's the case it'll be more efficient if I do the same. Not sure how many supports have been done as of now, but I'll drop by to help when it's time to scrub (If it's needed).

Technically speaking, borrowing the cartridge from your friend, extracting the romfs and using that through HANS should work, provided it is the exact same version/region of the game, of course, this has a chance of not working in the first place, but it'd be easier to test than having to hardmod your 3DS (although Hardmodding would be a good thing, as you'd be able to downgrade to 9.2 to run CFW, plus you'd have a NAND backup that would easily fix your 3DS if it bricks).

Hm, hard modding isn't really an option considering where I live, and from what I've seen it involves soldering and all that and I would rather not have something so invasive done on my hardware I guess. But if I do get my hands on a cartridge I'll test out the Hans method again, I guess. Though the posts below do raise some concerns...

I kinda also need my firmware version updated as of now so I could access the eshop, a few other titles I'm interested in are getting released soon (such as haikyuu cross team match haha), so downgrading isn't an option for me since I'll miss out on downloading the first release bonus stuff. But thanks anyway :)

From what was mentioned here, this would mean that, even if I do get a cartridge, I won't be able to access the other path plus the dlc path, since all 3 of my versions are downloaded from the eshop. If that's the case, then i guess I'll just stick with my unpatched Japanese copy then. I'll probably watch linkmstr's playthrough to satiate my curiosity nonetheless, thanks so much for the help everyone ^^

Hardmodding isn't really relevant for using the patch, so I'm not sure why people are bringing it up. It's mainly a way to restore bricked systems if you're developing new exploits or downgrading improperly. Since you can play the patch on 10.5, that's not something you need to do.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi