[Team If] Fire Emblem If Fanslation (All chapters and paralogues done)

Cellenseres

Localization from the original Japanese names and all the censoring kills it for me. Why change a nice sounding female name to one that's just a run-of-the-mill western one? The Japanese versions of Fire Emblem show off more cleavage on the ladies in game than the non-Japanese versions. I bet Camilla will get her boobies covered up, and other "revealing" clothes on other characters will get censored too. I will say I'll be happily playing the JPN release with English patch via HANS.

I have a question though. With the game's text boxes, what determines what is put at various points in the text? Is it like "%charName %weaponName rank has increased" where '%charName' > Avatar's name and '%weapon' > Weapon you are using? This is before the game actually parses it, so I'm talking about when you are editing the texts before packing it into the ROM. I work with Linux, and I know there's functions that will substitute various placeholders for proper text.

On the topic of censors...

Something that occurred to me is that if we wanted to uncensor the western release, we'd need to dump and extract both versions of the game, then find the models that are used by the characters and replace them with the japanese versions. I can't quite remember but I know some people uncensored another game like that, it was 3D model file swaps. Disabled or removed features of the game would be unable to be unlocked or brought back in, as that would require code editing.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of censors...

Something that occurred to me is that if we wanted to uncensor the western release, we'd need to dump and extract both versions of the game, then find the models that are used by the characters and replace them with the japanese versions. I can't quite remember but I know some people uncensored another game like that, it was 3D model file swaps. Disabled or removed features of the game would be unable to be unlocked or brought back in, as that would require code editing.

As of now, the group is only going to change back the names. We probably could restore the models too (we definitely have people who could), but it's not something we really want to bother with right now. (Or ever).

Supports, a little bit of the DLC (unreleased anyways), maybe some randomly missed lines in chapters (currently being fixed), gmap.bin

Btw, how many random missing lines does the Chapter have for if/Fates Translation Patch.?

Why would we censor the game? And how would we even?

Also, the point of this project was to avoid censorship...

I'm the same guy from Disqus.

I made this account to inquiry a bit about the translation, since there seem to be rumors that you guys will censor the fan translation too. Since this rumor came from the whole Soleil support thing, I want to ask you directly if there's any basis on this rumor.

Are you guys going to change the conversation with Soleil to not resemble the original but to be the same as the censored one or similar? Will you do that to any other lines in Fates/If?

The hearts of many fans, including mine, wants to know a direct answer to this.

Edited by Immahnoob

some people in other sites are spreading the information saying you also remove contend

If the support was crowdsourced, then it was probably indirectly us (most supports are taken from online sources). But otherwise, lol no, they can go f*ck themselves for what we care.

I'm the same guy from Disqus.

I made this account to inquiry a bit about the translation, since there seem to be rumors that you guys will censor the fan translation too. Since this rumor came from the whole Soleil support thing, I want to ask you directly if there's any basis on this rumor.

Are you guys going to change the conversation with Soleil to not resemble the original but to be the same as the censored one or similar? Will you do that to any other lines in Fates/If?

The hearts of many fans, including mine, wants to know a direct answer to this.

No, we're going to stick to the original. And if there's something wrong with the crowdsourcing, then we'll retranslate it, because f*ck NoA and censoring. So there might be basis, but thanks for letting us know.

Edit (for future reference):

The point of this project is to avoid censorship. We will ALWAYS stick truthful to the original Japanese text, and if something is wrong, we will retranslate it in-house. Because f*ck censorship.

Edited by luyairis

I'd just like to know if the rumors of a lot of the translation team here leaving for other projects are true.

Yeah i also reading this a lot. It is said that a lot of the team member left for Phoenix games and this is no longer a priority/focus for the team. Is that true?

I'd just like to know if the rumors of a lot of the translation team here leaving for other projects are true.

Even if it were true, why would it matter, lol.

Also, unless you hear it from here, it's probably some idiot spreading fake rumors.

Yeah i also reading this a lot. It is said that a lot of the team member left for Phoenix games and this is no longer a priority/focus for the team. Is that true?

No. The GAA team merged into Team If. We're simply helping them as of now, but we want to finish If first. And even if they did leave, why would it matter that much lol.

Are the FMV cutscenes subtitled in this patch? EmiruHD is doing a playthrough of it on YouTube and the scenes aren't subbed. Or he could just have the subs turned off, I'm not sure.

I refer you back several pages, where it has been answered many times. Or, no. We can decode the videos into a sub-able format but can't re-encode to moflex yet. (Yet).

First: Thank you very much for translating the game and releasing the patch!

Second: Is the team planning on releasing some new translations by February?

It'll come out...when it comes out. About half of the Invisible Kingdom chapters are fixed (and another half to go), and supports, which translators do when they want to (we're NOT obliged to work, so please don't complain about speed).

Even if it were true, why would it matter, lol.

Well, still eagerly awaiting the patch for the rest of the supports and stuff, so it would kind of suck if a lot of the team left unless there's barely any more work to be done.

In any case, thanks for the info.