Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict (OOC) - ALL FULL

Shin

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Lightshock16 here, I'm new to the site and am hoping to kick off my new account with an RP. I don't need a huge role or anything; I just kinda wanna tag along and learn the ropes. I'll happily be a merc or tag-along. If you'll have me, I mean. I'm available most days 4-5:00 Central Time.

Hello there! It's very nice for both of you to show your interest but all of the main story roles have been allocated. Considering this, I would ask you both to get some idea of both the setting and current events by reading the thread, then coming up with an character concept. If there is something you're not sure about, feel free to ask!

I think our GM, as well as the rest of us, would prefer if it was more than a 'quick look'. If you can, spend a bit reading up on lore in the OP, and maybe even some of the threads before giving your signup information. If you really want to join an RP, then familiarizing yourself with what's given for the general public to see in order to help integrate your character into the story is not only a recommendation, but a necessity.

But a bit of warning: you don't just 'tag along' in this RP. There is a reason every Player Character is listed with a description in the opening post. Each player character is important in their own way. It's true, if you take the role of a mercenary like I have, then you may not have a say in the major decisions that happen over the course of the adventure, but that doesn't mean you wont have to make some of those decisions, yourselves. You are a still a player controlled character, and in this you may have situations thrust upon your characters that put you on the spot (i say on the spot but these things can be discussed on skype, and you have plenty of time to decide your course of action.)

What I'm trying to say is, read up on the RP, observe what kind of setting you're getting involved in, then make a character fitting for that setting. It doesn't have to be flawless, especially if it's your first RP, the first sign up might not be the one that is taken, but an effort to try and make something out of what you know from reading is far better than something slapped together off of a glance.

I'll be sure to take that advice. Like I said, I'm new, so I don't have a whole lot of experience doing this kind of thing. And I like to hope I'm better than just slapping something together at first glance.

EDIT: I didn't even need a role in the first place. I'll settle for a little advice on good RPing.

Edited by ThicreanPhoenix
Thought of something, didn't wanna comment twice in a row

1 hour ago, ThicreanPhoenix said:

I'll be sure to take that advice. Like I said, I'm new, so I don't have a whole lot of experience doing this kind of thing. And I like to hope I'm better than just slapping something together at first glance.

EDIT: I didn't even need a role in the first place. I'll settle for a little advice on good RPing.

I was waiting for the day I could link this. Here's a brief set of notes about making the most out of signing up to an RP. I heard the guy who wrote it is really handsome!

I am THE SHIN, and I'm totally around. Thank you very much for showing interest, the best thing to do would be to familiarise yourself with the setting - the descriptions in the original post should provide some basic details. When you know the countries, check out what's happened so far in the plot summary, then you should be roughly prepared to start drafting a character together.

The roles are all used up, so it would be easier to try and come up with a role you'd be willing to play. I'm very flexible in what you can ride with, but I'd implore you to make it at least relevant to the setting. So nothing like a random orphan turned mercenary or a nihilistic edge lord bent on revenge against some non-established threat. Here are a few examples to get going;

• A disillusioned soldier from Deira uneasy with their country's invasion of Wyke
  • A Raewaldean noble looking to take part in the brewing conflict
  • A reformed bandit from Magonsaete, hoping to find a new life on the continent

These are only examples and it is very much appreciated if you're able to come up with something coherent! If you need help, just ask!

Stats work as intended within the OP, but if you get stuck, feel free to drop me a message. Try not to minmax, the system's designed to accommodate fun rather than power gaming! There's no rush, so take your time in considering what kind of character you'd like to play!

@Dandragon I already read up on the OP, which is why I was asking how to gain entry, as the OP says: "If you have any questions, feel free to ask!" Also, I wasn't asking if creating a character sheet was a smart thing, but if creating a character sheet was a way to get into the RP, or if I needed to do something else. Thank you for your comment.

@Shin Thank you for your answer. I appreciate the helpful comment. I'll get started on my character sheet, as I've already read up on everything. Do you want me to post it in this thread, or should I send it as a PM?

Sending it via PM would be preferable! It'd prevent clutter here and it means that we can go into greater detail in both planning a character and a role in the story for you.

Hey, I am indeed, however, your previous sign up attempts had several problems with them. If you are sure that you can try and work with the feedback you were given, I'm willing to give you a chance. I do implore you to take some time considering the comments I gave, and also remember that single one-liner posts are nowhere near acceptable within this RP.

What's a PM?

Spoiler

Also, while I'm posting, I actually have an entire world I created with FE in mind. Class system and all. Wouldn't mind starting a story 'a my own. Got a starting point. Problem is, I can't GM or anything. Can't think on my feet as well as others. Don't know how t' do battles either. Any advice on that front?

2 minutes ago, ThicreanPhoenix said:

What's a PM?

Hide contents

Also, while I'm posting, I actually have an entire world I created with FE in mind. Class system and all. Wouldn't mind starting a story 'a my own. Got a starting point. Problem is, I can't GM or anything. Can't think on my feet as well as others. Don't know how t' do battles either. Any advice on that front?

Um, if that's a serious question, it stands for "Private Message". 

As for your second question: Here's the deal, GMing a successful game is hard work. It's time consuming and you have to have a passion for it, otherwise your game will flop 100%. And even with the passion, if your material isn't good, your game is still liable to fall apart due to player disinterest. If you're interested in writing a "story of your own" I suggest you stick to just that: writing a story. 

You don't have to write some grand epic tale either if you're unsure of where to begin. Multiple short stories of various characters can do wonders to help make your world feel more substantial and alive. You don't need to "do" battles, you can just write them (or not). And you don't need to be spontaneous per se, as you have all the time in the world to plot and plan your stories as you see fit. 

Now, on the off-chance that you feel your world is strictly meant for RPing purposes only (which would strike me as peculiar, but I digress)--I would say the above is still relevant. Writing a couple of short stories for characters can help give you a foundation for multiple NPC's that your players might encounter during their journey, and can help alleviate some of the spontaneity that comes with writing around said group of players. Not only that, but it will help hone your writing and get you into the mindset of switching your "voice" for when the situation calls for writing multiple NPC characters at a time. And let me be clear, your world can be as interesting as ever--but if your writing is shoddy, no one will bother to read about it. 

Now you might groan and say, "hey that's boring, I just want to show the world my world and get with the cool plots, fights, and stuff!" and while I can kind of understand that mindset, you yourself have stated that you're quite the novice when it comes to hosting a game. And while every GM has had a 'first' game, I think it would be far more fruitful for you to spend time as a player and learn what it means to be GM'd, before you begin GMing yourself. 

I've got a lovely little cast of characters already, and while I wasn't expecting to start GMing right off the bat, I got to thinking, "you know, I've got this world I made in my spare time; why not RP with it at some point?" And yes, since I have no practical experience, I wasn't gonna start GMing on my first RP. I just wanted to know for if I ever decided to roll with it. I have a lot of spare time anyway.

13 hours ago, ThicreanPhoenix said:

What's a PM?

Hide contents

My advice would be to try and get a feel for how games are run, as well as figure out what's expected of you. If you've got your own world and characters, that's great, but as GM your role is to facilitate a story for your players. I've seen multiple GM's struggle when they're trying to indulge their own tastes over their players. It's a fair bit of work, but it's really rewarding when you see players actively engage in the world you've created for them, and also watching how they affect the world around them!

Remember, you need to provide NPC's for their story, not have them as NPC's for your own! If there's a lot of aspects that you're uncertain on, I'd also recommend being a player in a game before hosting your own. You can learn a lot from good GM's, but also a lot from less stellar ones! If you have any specific questions with regards to hosting, feel free t send me a message. However, all I can do is try to answer in a way I feel is right, some things need doing with your own two hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Riku

Sex: Male

Appearance:

Character I made

Nationality: Wyke

Backstory: As a young child in a middle to upper class family, Riku wasn't very social, as he usually would spend time with family, study, or watch his grandfather practice his sword techniques. He really didn't have a lot of friends, if any at all. This made him the target of bullying, such as belongings being taken from him and thrown around and physical violence. After taking so much, he began to feel like he was weak and had no place in the world. Of course, this would change over the years, but still he struggled to find people he can relate to, and still had been a victim to bullying, although it was decreased a lot. When he was 12, his grandfather gave him something that would inspire him to grow stronger and become self confident - A sword, His grandfather was able to give him this because he was a former soldier in the Deiran Army. He would start practicing with his grandfather, who helped him learn the skills of a soldier - staying focused, have sharp precision, and time strikes carefully. Over time, these skills grew stronger for him, as if he was born to become a hero and write his own legacy. But his grandfather had passed away, which devastated him. Of course, he had his words echo in his head: "Always stay strong, courageous and confident, even when things go bad." This inspired him to leave home and find his place in the world.

Class: Myrmidon

Edited by Erren

Thanks for another submission! However, as with your previous ones, there are several flaws that I feel prevent it from being suitable for this roleplay. Again, this character feels too inspired by shounen anime, and does not meld well with the story-telling present in Angelcynn.

• There's no indication of the class of his family, which is important with regards to how he would be perceived.
  • What was the content of said bullying? Kids can be awful, but it seems to have played no part in his backstory other than being a consequence for isolation
  • Why does his grandfather know how to use a sword? Was he an ex-soldier or just a pensioner with too much time on his hands? Why has using a sword triggered such a monumental change in what appears to be an awkward nerdy recluse?
  • Magic isn't something that's picked up willy-nilly in the setting, there's a formal academy that most mages are trained at with very few exceptions to people becoming even remotely proficient without extensive tutoring.
  • You've somehow managed to botch the stats entirely, as well as having not understood any aspects of character creation.

In summary, I really don't think that Riku would even remotely work within the context of the RP. He doesn't fit thematically nor is it likely that you will be able to engage to a sufficient degree. Taking this into account, I'm going to decline your application again. Looking back at the characters you've produced, I would strongly recommend finding a more anime-esque roleplay to join or massively overhaul how you design characters. It may be that this isn't the roleplay for you, which isn't a criticism but something to help you with your expectations.

Whilst that's unfortunate, it isn't something I can remedy. Your submission did not meet the expectations I require and I was not able to accept it. If it's something that you're getting upset about, I would strongly recommend taking a step back and evaluating your feelings. Getting stressed about these things is usually a sign that there's a little too much emotional investment going on.