Getting Black Screen

Squeegee

Hi! I am new to ROM hacking in general. I am ROM hacking FE8. I am getting a totally dark screen upon entering the prologue. Here are the things I've changed so far:

• Overwrote with Event Assembler
  • Changed the maps for Prologue and Ch.1
  • Changed text (but that worked completely fine, and, well, its just text xD)

Am I pointing to the Prologue wrong or something. I've been troubleshooting since this morning and nothing seems to work!

[spoiler=Event Assembler Code]#include EAstdlib.event

#define DQTableOffset 0xC9F2EC
#define DeathQuoteTable(index,CharacterID,ChapterID,TextPointer,EventPointer,TriggerID) "ORG DQTableOffset+(16*index); BYTE CharacterID; BYTE ChapterID; ALIGN 4; SHORT TextPointer; ALIGN 4; POIN EventPointer; BYTE TriggerID; ALIGN 4"
EventPointerTable(0x07,ThisChapter)
ORG 0xE47880
ThisChapter:
POIN TurnBasedEvents
POIN CharacterBasedEvents
POIN LocationBasedEvents
POIN MiscBasedEvents
POIN Dunno Dunno Dunno
POIN Tutorial
POIN TrapData TrapData
POIN AnimationUnits1
POIN AnimationUnits2
POIN GoodBattleUnits1
POIN GoodBattleUnits2
POIN BadBattleUnits1
POIN $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
POIN BeginningScene EndingScene
VanessaDies:
ENDA
SyreneDies:
ENDA
TurnBasedEvents:
TURN 0x00 BeginningScene [1,0] 0x0
END_MAIN
CharacterBasedEvents:
END_MAIN
LocationBasedEvents:
END_MAIN
MiscBasedEvents:
DeathQuoteTable(0x00,Vanessa,0x43,0x00,VanessaDies,0x65)
DeathQuoteTable(0x00,Syrene,0x43,0x00,SyreneDies,0x65)
DefeatAll(EndingScene)
END_MAIN
Dunno:
//DO NOT TOUCH
WORD $00
Tutorial:
//DO NOT TOUCH
WORD $00
TrapData:
ENDTRAP
ALIGN 4
AnimationUnits1:
UNIT Gilliam General 0x0 Level(3,Ally,False) [13,4] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [steelSword,SteelLance,SteelAxe,Elixir]
UNIT Moulder Bishop Gilliam Level(1,Ally,False) [12,3] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [Lightning,Mend,Vulnerary,0x0]
UNIT 0xC0 Soldier Gilliam Level(10,Ally,False) [10,3] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironLance,0x0,0x0,0x0]
UNIT 0xC0 Soldier Gilliam Level(10,Ally,False) [16,3] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironLance,0x0,0x0,0x0]
UNIT 0xC0 Soldier Gilliam Level(10,Ally,False) [10,1] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironLance,0x0,0x0,0x0]
UNIT 0xC0 Soldier Gilliam Level(10,Ally,False) [16,1] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironLance,0x0,0x0,0x0]
UNIT
AnimationUnits2:
UNIT Vanessa FalcoKnight Gilliam Level(1,Ally,False) [30,30] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironSword,IronLance,Vulnerary,0x0]
UNIT
GoodBattleUnits1:
UNIT Vanessa FalcoKnight Gilliam Level(1,Ally,False) [15,15] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironSword,IronLance,Vulnerary,0x0]
UNIT
GoodBattleUnits2:
UNIT Syrene FalcoKnight Hayden Level(1,Ally,False) [1,1] 0b 0x0 0x0 0x0 [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0] [ironSword,IronLance,Vulnerary,0x0]
UNIT
BadBattleUnits1:
UNIT 0x68 Warrior 0x0 Level(1,Enemy,False) [15,1] 0b 0x0 0x1 0x8B3BFC [ironAxe,Elixir,0x0,0x0] [0x6,0x3,0x0,0x0]
UNIT 0x2D Bandit 0x0 Level(10,Enemy,False) [14,1] 0b 0x0 0x1 0x8B3C04 [ironAxe,0x0,0x0,0x0] [0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0]
UNIT 0x2E Bandit 0x0 Level(10,Enemy,False) [15,2] 0b 0x0 0x1 0x8B3C0C [ironAxe,0x0,0x0,0x0] [0x0,0x12,0x2,0x0]
UNIT
BeginningScene:
LOMA 0x1
_LOAD1 0x1 AnimationUnits1
ENUN
MUS1 0x26
TEX8 0x664 [8,8]
ENUN
CURE
STAL 60
_LOAD1 0x1 AnimationUnits2
MOVE Vanessa [14,3]
CUMO Gilliam
MOVE Vanessa [1,1]
DISA Vanessa
CUMO Gilliam
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x903
TEXTEND
REMA
LOMA 0x0
_LOAD1 0x1 GoodBattleUnits1
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x90D
TEXTEND
MOVE Vanessa [8,8]
_LOAD1 0x1 GoodBattleUnits2
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x90E
TEXTEND
MOVE Syrene [7,8]
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x90F
TEXTEND
_LOAD1 0x1 BadBattleUnits1
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x910
TEXTEND
ENDA
EndingScene:
MUS1 0x31
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x918
TEXTEND
MOVE Vanessa [15,15]
DISA Vanessa
MOVE Syrene [15,15]
DISA Syrene
FADU 16
REMA
MoveToChapter(0x1)
ENDA

MESSAGE Events end at offset currentOffset

Edited by Morva

If you think you might not be inserting/pointing to maps correctly, it would be helpful to describe the process you go to do so.
What do your Chapter Data Editor and Event Table Editor look like?

And how about the Event Table Editor? Did you remember to put 0x8 in front of your offsets?
If so, then it's time to start troubleshooting. If you remove the LOMAs, can you get the chapter to load correctly?

Are you able to get the map to load if you insert it on a clean ROM and don't change the events?

I was just able to insert and load a map on a clean ROM, so I'm trying to narrow down the list of possible issues.

The map seems to be working fine in the new ROM.That means I'm pointing to my maps correctly, I guess. That leaves a few more things. Currently in my Event Data Table Module, I pointed "Prologue events" to the offset where my event assembler file went to. Was this the right thing to do or is it why the black screen happened?

If its not a pointer problem, then its gotta be some error in my Event Assembler file though I can't seem to find a problem.

Edited by Morva

The map seems to be working fine in the new ROM.That means I'm pointing to my maps correctly, I guess. That leaves a few more things. Currently in my Event Data Table Module, I pointed "Prologue events" to the offset where my event assembler file went to. Was this the right thing to do or is it why the black screen happened?

If its not a pointer problem, then its gotta be some error in my Event Assembler file though I can't seem to find a problem.

You shouldn't need to use Nightmare to enter the event pointer. That's what this line does in your events:

EA writes the pointer for you with this macro.

@Agro: He's got some attached screenshots a few posts up.

@Agro here it is.

00E47180: Prologue Map

00E47B50: Ch.1 Map

You shouldn't need to use Nightmare to enter the event pointer. That's what this line does in your events:

EA writes the pointer for you with this macro.

@Agro: He's got some attached screenshots a few posts up.

Hmmm I had both so I'll just reverse the pointer I made with Prologue events.

Also, thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Update: Changing the event pointer back didn't work. I think I'm just going to redo my project on a clean ROM now that I actually know how to do things better. Maybe I overwrote something somewhere, I don't know, but I can recover whatever I need to rewrite my new ROM anyway, and, hopefully, not make the same mistake twice. I will also always make sure to do backups. I hope I'll eventually figure out what the source of this "black screen error" is. If I ever figure it out, I'll make sure to post a solution on the resources forum.

Edited by Morva

It definitely does sound like you overwrote something important. Do you have any idea where that might be? Sometimes if you just copy and paste segments from a working backup to your new ROM you can salvage it pretty easily

It definitely does sound like you overwrote something important. Do you have any idea where that might be? Sometimes if you just copy and paste segments from a working backup to your new ROM you can salvage it pretty easily

Ya, I didn't really have much anyway, just maps and text, I just copied and pasted all the text I made into the new ROM and inserted my maps last night so nothing was lost.