Lissa: War Cleric, or Sage?

~Silver

So, I posted a thread awhile back asking about class sets for I believe Lon'qu and Stahl: I had already decided their final class, but for Lissa, it's... a bit more difficult.

With (M)Avatar being her partner, I was curious if I should keep her as a War Cleric, or a Sage. For her skills, I'll keep Renewal, Dual Support+, Bond, Galeforce, the Max Stats +10 skill, (forgot what it was called...) and then there's the possibility of Tomefaire should she stay as a Sage.

I feel like Lissa just might make a more reliable Sage, but the fact MyUnit is a Grandmaster, and pair-up gives that +2 to Magic and Strength, I feel like I can use Swords without worry. I don't really wish to blaze through battles with Tomes, because while yes, I'm trying for the best units I can have, I'm not tryharding any further. That's why I might shelve Galeforce for Lissa: I might swap it in from time to time with Tomefaire, I'm not sure.

MyUnit is +HP -Lck, if that has any... relevance.

With the pair up boosts, having Lissa in War cleric would help you with your Luck Flaw and Lissa will survive for longer due to higher defence in War Cleric however her offence and healing range/potency will be worse in War Cleric and with the skills you've shown I'd get rid of Bond for Tomefaire for a Sage Lissa but Bond would work on a War Cleric Lissa.

This is just what I thought and I put my Lissa into Valkyrie :D

The worst thing his luck flaw does is cuts his Str/Mag down by -1.

He's not running Armsthrift/Miracle so he doesn't need to offset his luck.

For gameplay reasons, her final class should be Sage if you want her to be as "optimal" as possible.

Limit Break

Tomefaire

Galeforce

Dual Support+

Renewal

Bond isn't all that useful.

+HP/-Lck only guarantees that MU will always get +1 HP per level up with a chance for a +2 HP for a level up (if HP isn't capped yet) and offers the stat cap mods of -1 Luck, +2 Defense and +2 Resistance.

I'm doing +Hp -Lck for the sole purpose that his stat caps are even, nothing else. I am indeed running Armsthrift, but with Max Stats +10, I still reach 50 Luck, so I still attain my weapon usages. (Ignis, Max Stats +10, Renewal, and the last skill I'll decide later)

And see, I'm thinking here that yeah, Bolt Axes are gonna be a bitch, as that's pretty much what she'll be limited to. If I haven't said it, I considered War Cleric due to the class giving +2 Strength and Magic, so since I would be a Grandmaster with I believe a 50 or 52 in both Magic and Strength, I wouldn't feel like I need to use Tomes all the time. (Which I don't. I'd like to swing around a sword here or there! ^_^)

Sage. Lissa's iffy base strength combined with her strength growth isn't having her kill anything with her physical attacks anytime soon. She'd have to have like... 80% strength growth for me to even consider going War Cleric.

Plus, even with pair up bonuses, you're better going for the bonus magic than the extra strength.

Edited by Augestein

Sage Lissa competes with Sage Miriel and Sage Maribelle (both whom have Magic +2) for highest magic amongst the parent generation, which works in two ways:

High offensive ability gives Lissa the ability to hit hard with magical attacks.

One of the highest ranges for Staves that have range determined by Magic Stat / 2, beaten by the units mentioned above, child units, and Emmeryn. War Cleric just doesn't compete with the much lower cap and inability to utilize Axefaire.

You may be best giving Lissa one of the Jugdral tomes to capitalize on her stats. Valflame for power, Mjolnir for hitting and critting, Forseti for doubling and avoiding a few extra attacks, and Book of Naga for not dying as fast. All else fails, Forged Micaiah's Pyre should work just fine. Celica's Gale is an obvious no brainer.

Edited by Xenomata

Hmm... so... I'm leaning towards Sage, then.

Is there any reason why War Cleric would be a better option in these circumstances?

Only if you think the slightly higher physical defensive ability is worth it, and even then it is only average compared to other classes.

All it would offer Lissa otherwise is the ability to be more of a mixed attacker, sporting the ability to wield both Brave Axes and Bolt Axes without much difference between the two.

Coupled with no Axefaire skill, much worse staff range, and very mediocre, if not terrible, speed and skill caps, only use War Cleric to train in Staves while Rescue staff spamming for the Renewal skill.

Personally, I made Lissa go War Cleric my first time through due to how she starts as a Cleric. Nowadays, I have her be either a War Cleric or the Bride class.

Here's the skill build I went with for Lissa;

- Limit Breaker (Overall stat boost.)

- Galeforce (For when she lands a kill, she can use the next turn to heal other units.)

- Renewal (30% HP buffer at the start of each turn.)

- Relief/Dual Support+ (If you want an additional 20% HP buffer at the start of each turn, use Relief. Otherwise, Dual Support+ for pair-up bonuses.)

- Miracle/Lancefaire (If you're going with a War Cleric Vengeance axe build for Lissa, use Miracle. Otherwise, use Lancefaire to boost her damage when using lances as the Bride class.)

While it's snazzy and all to have a Sage Lissa, I still prefer War Cleric Lissa over Sage as that feels like a class suited for Emmeryn primarily. War Cleric Lissa is an amazon warrior.

War Cleric fits her character better, but Sage fits her stats better. Also she rocks the Emmeryn outfit.

Her stats don't entirely matter too much, though. Bride and War Cleric can suit her overall, although Sage is the better option if you don't want to grind to increase Lissa's Strength. Melee Lissa master race.

I prefer War Cleric cause my Lissa tends to marry Vaike and I feel Vaike teaches Lissa how to wield an axe and such.

But, from a gameplay and stat prospective, Sage is better by far.