Snails

Hi, i am a long time Fire emblem enthusiast, i have played almost all of the official games, and many of the Fan made hacks. I have my own ideas for story lines, but i have no experience with ROM hacking. So, i need an experienced ROM hacker to assist me in creation of the game. Any level of experience is acceptable as this is my first attempted project. The story line is in progress, but i need to go ahead and get all arrangements made for the project.

Really not sure how much you know about hacking so I'll try and help you out a bit because I have a little bit of time so it might be a crappy brief explanation. So here goes:

I do know how to do most things. I still have lots of questions and I've been working on testing for months now. MONTHS. Don't expect to know what you're doing after a night. It'll take at least weeks before you have only a fraction of the stuff there is to learn (depending on how busy you are, and I'm pretty busy outside of "hacking" projects).

I'm sorry that I can't provide links at the moment but I will tell you the absolute essential utilities for ROM hacking:

-HxD (Hex Editor, might be the most important tool of them all)

-Event Assembler

-Tiled with FE tilesets (Map Editor)

-FEditor Adv.

-Nightmare

Of course there are most side utilities but those are really all you need. If you wanna go more full-out there are other programs but I don't wanna confuse you because over time you'll figure stuff out on your own. Just start with that.

The first thing you wanna do is test things. Find out how things work. So The first thing I would fool around with if I were you is the Event Assembler.

Why? Well the events are definitely the most important part of your FE. So if you wanna learn your limitations as far as what you can do with the game, you should start there. Because then you'll be like "Oh I can do this? K cool I can manipulate this in my favor." And basically all you'll be doing--along with every other tool you are using--is testing. I can't explain what everything means on the Event Assembler because there is WAY too much, and plus I'm very busy (even though I'm writing this for you).

Another eventing tool I used to help me figure out what stuff means is something called "Eventiel". Just google it, it's an online program used to make Event text files. And it does make eventing quite a bit easier. Also watch the YouTube videos showing how to use it to it should really boost your learning speed with it faster.

Also google for "Arch's fire emblem chapter construction". It gives a really clarifying explanation of how to....construct a chapter.

HxD looks scary at first but it's really not that bad, and it's also an extremely important tool. It helps you tweak a few things and see where you have free space to write data to. Basically everything you adjust to the ROM will affect something in HxD. So you need to figure out where you want to make those adjustments and make sure you're not screwing your ROM.

Tiled is just the map creation tool. Much better than Mappy, in my opinion. Super easy to use as well.

FEditor Adv. allows you create custom battle sprites, spell animations, but most importantly, text.

Nightmare is the tool that lets you adjust the absolutes of the game. So stats, pointers, chapter data, etc. You probably know about this tool though.

I would love to type up everything you need to know buuuut I do not have that much time. So I hope I kind of helped. Just do some research on those utilities and get to know how to use them.

There are many people in the hacking community that would be happy to help you so always ask questions. And make sure it's in the "Questions" subforum, not here.

Hope I helped!

Edited by Avril Lavigne

Hi, i am a long time Fire emblem enthusiast, i have played almost all of the official games, and many of the Fan made hacks. I have my own ideas for story lines, but i have no experience with ROM hacking. So, i need an experienced ROM hacker to assist me in creation of the game. Any level of experience is acceptable as this is my first attempted project. The story line is in progress, but i need to go ahead and get all arrangements made for the project.

Sure, do you have a contract drawn up? How much would I being paid per hour of work? Or is this work being done on commission? $20 dollars for a mug, $30 for eventing a chapter? How would I be paid for my time and effort? Paypal, interac, direct deposit? Do you have an awareness of the laws in your jurisdiction that regulate contracts or commissions?

I mean, this is the basic stuff. Surely no one expects other people to work on their project for free, right? Time and effort are valuable, and no one will work for you without being adequately compensated for that time and effort.

Edited by The Iron Rose

Sure, do you have a contract drawn up? How much would I being paid per hour of work? Or is this work being done on commission? $20 dollars for a mug, $30 for eventing a chapter? How would I be paid for my time and effort? Paypal, interac, direct deposit? Do you have an awareness of the laws in your jurisdiction that regulate contracts or commissions?

I mean, this is the basic stuff. Surely no one expects other people to work on their project for free, right? Time and effort are valuable, and no one will work for you without being adequately compensated for that time and effort.

I should have thought about this as well. It's true.

Snails, I wrote that if you want to do it yourself and like I said it took be a lot of time just to figure everything. It's okay to get help, however, it will probably cost you. Not many are gonna want to invest their time and energy into something that isn't theirs unless you want to invest your money into it.

Edited by Avril Lavigne

if you aren't willing to provide cash compensation (i wouldn't be!), i'd suggest trolling around and trying to make some friends so you can start asking favors

more people than you'd expect have the technical knowhow and the desire to start romhacking but don't have the creative ability (and so don't actually hack)

Edited by CT075

Since this is the concepts forum you might get a bit more interest if you actually told what your ideas were, instead of giving a vague "pls work for me" type of thing without any detail

some people will offer work if they're interested in your idea, but you gotta actually let people know what the ideas are

Just wait for FEXNA.
On the very base level I'm going to assume that it'd be a lot more easier than ROM hacking for someone to jump into with no knowledge or understanding of the form.