Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Largo kinda lost an arm while bear-wrestling though.

I thought he lost the use of an arm, presumably the tigers came for a rematch, anyhow the dialogue could always be altered.

Adding Largo is not really important to this hack, but I think it could be a cool extra.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Problem with Largo is:

1) Would need an extensive rewrite in story/dialogue.

2) Largo would need custom supports/epilogue amongst other things.

3) Expanding data is extremely time consuming.

4) Hard to 'fit in' from a gameplay standpoint. I'd make him a Berserker at base as some kind of lategame unit I suppose. But statwise possibly too much overlap with with either Nolan (defensive) or Boyd (offensive). Natural fit to join would be 4-2 which would be going through the effort of adding a new unit for a very small part of the game.

On another note, I will be doing an FE9 ReDux. Haven't quite decided on the scope of it compared to this yet -- probably less overall. What's good though is that I can pretty much transition all balancing from this hack to that one. So Ike for instance would be re-balanced to be a tier 1 version of his FE10 self (More STR/SKL, less SPD) or someone like Ilyana/Jill can literally have the exact same bases/growths or close to that.

Granted, some units may need buffs/nerfs based on join time. Someone like Rolf may need to be even better, and someone like Marcia/Kieran to be less good.

So it really just comes down to map design and difficulty -- while everything else is essentially 'ported'.

Edited by DLuna

You'd base Patch of Redux off Hardmode though, right? It doesn't have the nonsensical shenanigans of FE10 Lunhardic, and the map behaviour differences are better than in Normal.

Plus, the bands are almost mandatory to muscle up Soren so he can carry his books. Which reminds me - include their bonuses in their descriptions please.

You'd base Patch of Redux off Hardmode though, right? It doesn't have the nonsensical shenanigans of FE10 Lunhardic, and the map behaviour differences are better than in Normal.

Plus, the bands are almost mandatory to muscle up Soren so he can carry his books. Which reminds me - include their bonuses in their descriptions please.

Well, FE10 ReDux is balanced around 'Normal' (JP Hard) while FE9 ReDux will be balanced around 'Hard'. So basically the actual 'middle' difficulty for both games.

FE9 ReDux will be redesigned to be harder than JP Maniac anyway, albeit in a different manner. Similar difficulty across both games overall.

As for Soren... well obviously he himself is rebalanced anyway regardless of bands. He isn't meant to double and instead, has a lot more MAG now at 3 range. Adding growth descriptions for bands will be good though.

Mage Archetypes

Soren: MAG/SKL/RES HP/DEF/SPD

Ilyana: HP/SKL/DEF MAG/SPD/RES

Tormod: SPD/STR/LCK SKL/RES

Calill: HP/MAG/SPD DEF/SKL/LCK

Bastian: STR/DEF/RES SPD/LCK

Edited by DLuna

Do you think you'd be able to remove the game-over-on-death for the other core DB members in 1-3?

Also, can you copy the effect data/code from one skill into another's, without editing the effect? I was thinking of making the player skill Guard into a copy of the enemy-invisble absguard skill, the one that lets Sephiran and Ashera's surrounding auras to take their lethal hits from them.

Edited by Mr. Mister

Problem with Largo is:

1) Would need an extensive rewrite in story/dialogue.

2) Largo would need custom supports/epilogue amongst other things.

3) Expanding data is extremely time consuming.

4) Hard to 'fit in' from a gameplay standpoint. I'd make him a Berserker at base as some kind of lategame unit I suppose. But statwise possibly too much overlap with with either Nolan (defensive) or Boyd (offensive). Natural fit to join would be 4-2 which would be going through the effort of adding a new unit for a very small part of the game.

On another note, I will be doing an FE9 ReDux. Haven't quite decided on the scope of it compared to this yet -- probably less overall. What's good though is that I can pretty much transition all balancing from this hack to that one. So Ike for instance would be re-balanced to be a tier 1 version of his FE10 self (More STR/SKL, less SPD) or someone like Ilyana/Jill can literally have the exact same bases/growths or close to that.

Granted, some units may need buffs/nerfs based on join time. Someone like Rolf may need to be even better, and someone like Marcia/Kieran to be less good.

So it really just comes down to map design and difficulty -- while everything else is essentially 'ported'.

Yeah the supports would be difficult, I was thinking Largo wouldn't be able to support, but then again that wouldn't be balanced, and you want the game to be balanced. Anyhow adding Largo was just an idea thrown out there, it'd be cool, but it's far from necessary.

What do you plan to do for FE9 ReDux?

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

* Armored Units aren't slowed down by Desert terrain.

* Either get rid of Knife using Sages, or make them worth using somehow.

* Improve Largo somehow.

* Improve some Occult skills such as Deadeye.

Do you think you'd be able to remove the game-over-on-death for the other core DB members in 1-3?

Also, can you copy the effect data/code from one skill into another's, without editing the effect? I was thinking of making the player skill Guard into a copy of the enemy-invisble absguard skill, the one that lets Sephiran and Ashera's surrounding auras to take their lethal hits from them.

I should be able to do the first, I suppose -- it's based around how the units are loaded but I can change that.

The second seems like an interesting idea worth looking into. However, since it's not support based it may be a bit too powerful. However, I was actually think about putting the skill as a hidden one on a couple units, but I've yet to experiment.

Yeah the supports would be difficult, I was thinking Largo wouldn't be able to support, but then again that wouldn't be balanced, and you want the game to be balanced. Anyhow adding Largo was just an idea thrown out there, it'd be cool, but it's far from necessary.

What do you plan to do for FE9 ReDux?

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

* Armored Units aren't slowed down by Desert terrain.

* Either get rid of Knife using Sages, or make them worth using somehow.

* Improve Largo somehow.

* Improve some Occult skills such as Deadeye.

Much the same kind of changes as FE10. Difficulty way up -- not as much enemy density as JP Maniac but enemies will be stronger overall.

Armors will certainly have lower terrain costs.

Not only are knives stronger, but mages have more STR and some enemy classes having a lot more RES.

Largo... is actually more or less fine power-wise. His issue is more that other units are too strong, not that he's weak. Although, changing up his stats to make him more focused (as with any other unit) would be good. I'd give him stats more in-line with Nolan in order to separate him from Boyd. Giving him huge RES for instance.

Most skills are fine. Immobilising skills like Deadeye or Stun are definitely better when enemies are stronger. You could argue that their effects are great, because you're essentially killing that unit while being able to give the EXP freely to anyone of the team. So they're essentially lethality with benefits (the enemy still occupies a tile as well, which also leaves less freedom for the enemy to attack you further).

In fact, mastery skills in the game are very well balanced by default and have different niches. Roar is very powerful as a 'taunt' skill, even if it isn't a conventional mastery by any means.

Edited by DLuna

Much the same kind of changes as FE10. Difficulty way up -- not as much enemy density as JP Maniac but enemies will be stronger overall.

Armors will certainly have lower terrain costs.

Not only are knives stronger, but mages have more STR and some enemy classes having a lot more RES.

Largo... is actually more or less fine power-wise. His issue is more that other units are too strong, not that he's weak. Although, changing up his stats to make him more focused (as with any other unit) would be good. I'd give him stats more in-line with Nolan in order to separate him from Boyd. Giving him huge RES for instance.

Most skills are fine. Immobilising skills like Deadeye or Stun are definitely better when enemies are stronger. You could argue that their effects are great, because you're essentially killing that unit while being able to give the EXP freely to anyone of the team. So they're essentially lethality with benefits (the enemy still occupies a tile as well, which also leaves less freedom for the enemy to attack you further).

In fact, mastery skills in the game are very well balanced by default and have different niches. Roar is very powerful as a 'taunt' skill, even if it isn't a conventional mastery by any means.

Will Ashnard be damagable with S-Rank weapons like he apparently was in Japan's Maniac mode?

Great, Armored units suffering terrain costs was always too much.

That sounds reasonable.

Thats what I mean, Largo is too fragile defense, and resistance wise even with his High HP.

Interesting, so the tougher enemies makes stunning them more necessary.

Speaking of S-Rank weapons, do you plan to make weapons like Urvan, and Wishblade obtainable in the main game?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

re: the swords and stuff that attack magically, their interaction with the weapon triangle is like the magic, yeah? ie. the Wind sword is in the same place in the triangle as a Wind tome, but requires Sword rank to wield?

Also, you modified weapons names in the e_common.m file? I tried correcting skill descriptions in there once and it uh... didn't work out at all.

Oh, another small QoL description change to add to the list - change the Nullify skill's description from Nullifies bonus damage from weapons. to Nullifies effective damage from enemy weapons.

Oh! That sounds more clear

Regarding the dialogue changes - on the bridge map, maybe Ike should give a reason for Gallia to stay behind (and undeployed). The fact that the Greilmercs fought in that very bridge during the war and know the layout better might be a good enough handwave.

• 1 month later...

Planning to release something very soon.

Recently been experimenting with the idea of randomized shops (particularly bargains) as well as various changes to map design in some cases. Otherwise, it's more or less complete.

Planning to release something very soon.

Recently been experimenting with the idea of randomized shops (particularly bargains) as well as various changes to map design in some cases. Otherwise, it's more or less complete.

How much randomization would there be? Would it be optional or part of the redux as a whole? Also, do you mean changes beyond alterations to enemy placement/variety/density/etc in regard to map design?

How much randomization would there be? Would it be optional or part of the redux as a whole? Also, do you mean changes beyond alterations to enemy placement/variety/density/etc in regard to map design?

When you download the patch it'll be randomised (on a per-chapter basis). This doesn't mean you'll have really inappropriate options, but reasonable variation based on the part of the game.

I think it's a good addition since FE tends to be variable (RNG, leveling up etc..) so this compliments that.

Some items like Master Seals will likely be fixed. But it just means the stat booster on sale may differ. Or you get the option of a Purge rather than Bolting on 1-5 for instance. Or maybe even an early Arcthunder etc... So it's not completely randomness -- semi-randomness I suppose.

There's also some potential to add some randomness to other parts of the game as well, such as slight base stat variations for units. I'm planning to make growths visually in-game as well so that might work with this. But we'll see.

Enemy AI and gimmicks/objectives to answer the last question.

EDIT: Here is what I mean by growths being viewable in-game.

Edited by DLuna

When you download the patch it'll be randomised (on a per-chapter basis). This doesn't mean you'll have really inappropriate options, but reasonable variation based on the part of the game.

I think it's a good addition since FE tends to be variable (RNG, leveling up etc..) so this compliments that.

Some items like Master Seals will likely be fixed. But it just means the stat booster on sale may differ. Or you get the option of a Purge rather than Bolting on 1-5 for instance. Or maybe even an early Arcthunder etc... So it's not completely randomness -- semi-randomness I suppose.

There's also some potential to add some randomness to other parts of the game as well, such as slight base stat variations for units. I'm planning to make growths visually in-game as well so that might work with this. But we'll see.

Enemy AI and gimmicks/objectives to answer the last question.

EDIT: Here is what I mean by growths being viewable in-game.

That looks nice IMO :P

Wait, the randomisation would be applied on download, you say? Not when running the patcher?

Piggybacking off of this, if I wanted to "reroll" the randomization for a new playthrough, would this be possible without needing to download the patch again? For those of us who are playing this via Riivolution, would it be possible for the randomization stay fixed for a particular save file each time the patch is applied?

You would need to re-download a patch since the data is within different patches.

Essentially I'm 'randomising' the data through 100+ different patches. The format of which I'm undecided on.

One direction I'm intrigued at is affinity bonuses. You choose a personal affinity like FE7 which grants minor bonuses to units and maps with the same affinity. This then also effects the randomisation of shops -- possibly slightly favouring units with said affinity.

Also, here is an example of the randomisation possibilities in a couple maps:

1-4 BARGAINS
Wo Dao - Wyrmslayer - Silver Sword - Brave Sword - Runic Edge - Greatsword - Killing Edge - Sonic Sword
Arm Scroll - Seraph Robe - Energy Drop - Spirit Dust - Secret Book - Speedwing - Ashera Icon - Dracoshield - Talisman - Statue Frag - Boots
Thief - Barrier - Recover - Physic - Rescue - Hammerne - Elsleep - Elsilence
Cancel - Guard - Quickclaw - Savior - Gamble - Vantage - Counter - Miracle
Provoke - Nullify - Wrath - Fortune - Paragon - Pavise - Daunt - Pass
1-5 BARGAINS
Killer Bow - Killer Lance - Killing Edge - Killer Axe - Stiletto
Thief - Barrier - Recover - Physic - Rescue - Hammerne - Elsleep - Elsilence (Cannot be the same as 1-4)
Arm Scroll - Seraph Robe - Energy Drop - Spirit Dust - Secret Book - Speedwing - Ashera Icon - Dracoshield - Talisman - Statue Frag - Boots (Cannot be the same as 1-4)
Bolting - Purge - Arcthunder - Shine - Carreau
Short Axe - Halberd - Battle Axe - Brave Axe - Dark Axe - Silver Axe - Silver Bow(if Killer Axe above)

Barring in mind, the bargain options will affect drops in other maps or maybe even personal skills. Someone like Meg may come with another skill if Fortune is on sale.
Edited by DLuna

Methinks in that case you should have a single base patch that does most things (item and class stats, etc.), and then the bunch of randomiz,ers that patch on to of the main patch. It might also help you in the long run for post-release updates.

EDIT: Also, have you repositioned Gareth and Nasir in endgame so they're adjacent to the dragon king? It'd b einteresting if you had to shove/smite them to get their tide skill bonuses away from the boss without killing them (Gareth can be shoved while untransformed by transformed lions and the two PoR tigers). Thinking back, I'm surprised there's no "Tidal Dragon" meme over the pcassional white dragon that can position itself to receive all three tide bonuses.

Edited by Mr. Mister