Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

5 hours ago, tibarn333 said:

Hey Dunal,

Im curious about a couple things.

What are your plans for the weapon triangle in hard mode ? Also, do you have any significant plans for hard mode you'd be willing to share ? I find the hack pretty difficult already, so I'm excited to hear what you have in store for us.

Also, how often can we expect an update? I only wanna play the ReDux maps, cause seriously, the design is spectacular.

Awesome work dude !

Hard mode isn't going to be the official 'max difficulty mode' for this hack. It has the same effect on the game as the vanilla game. But it's still there if you really just want a scaled up version with no WT.

Another version of the hack will instead be released that will cover a proper higher difficulty mode. With further map changes, unit changes, mechanic changes etc...

Expect updates around every 2 weeks, with the release of 1 or 2 new maps and other changes.

Spoiler

Also, for 1-E, I think it would be cool if you gave an enemy unit or two the skill 'Pass' . But it might be too much. I'm dealing with the heavy dose of enemies on the floor with the chests by barricading the ledges with high defence units, and sniping with bolting and advancing up the stairs. Maybe if you added (or replaced a unit with) an offensive rogue ? Just an idea ! 

Skills are unfortunately based on army subclass or the class itself. So can't really be done on an individual basis. Enemy units in part 4 will have skills, but not before then.

1-E's top floor is currently easier than intended (as an error) but consuming Bolting uses is a sacrifice you need to make to do this, either way.

Edited by Dunal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Skills are unfortunately based on army subclass or the class itself.

Army subclass, as in "Begnionian Soldier", "Crimean General", "Daeinese Dracomaster", etc.? That is, Red Soldier, White General, etc?

Are there any unused/duplicate army subclasses?

I tried running this on my Wii via Riivolution, but I ran into the same issues accessing 1-2 and beyond noted in the release post for the current patch. I did notice that the class name of the mage with Worm in the Prologue seemed to change between loads. The first time, his class was Scholar, but it was Wind Mage on my most recent attempt. If I recall correctly, I believe you also changed the names of Thunder and Fire Mages, yet they were the same in 1-1 as they are in the vanilla game. I'm not sure if that will help you identify the issues proceeding with this on the Wiis, but it's something.

22 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Army subclass, as in "Begnionian Soldier", "Crimean General", "Daeinese Dracomaster", etc.? That is, Red Soldier, White General, etc?

Are there any unused/duplicate army subclasses?

Correct. Although, even if there were (much like the character used for 'Elite' foes), those characters would need expanded data which I'd be unwilling to go to lengths to implement, based on outputs.

35 minutes ago, Elite Lord Sigma said:

I tried running this on my Wii via Riivolution, but I ran into the same issues accessing 1-2 and beyond noted in the release post for the current patch. I did notice that the class name of the mage with Worm in the Prologue seemed to change between loads. The first time, his class was Scholar, but it was Wind Mage on my most recent attempt. If I recall correctly, I believe you also changed the names of Thunder and Fire Mages, yet they were the same in 1-1 as they are in the vanilla game. I'm not sure if that will help you identify the issues proceeding with this on the Wiis, but it's something.

It may be to do with the 'Mess' file for general text that's causing the issue. I could provide a version of the hack with the original file for this and see what happens.

38 minutes ago, Dunal said:

It may be to do with the 'Mess' file for general text that's causing the issue. I could provide a version of the hack with the original file for this and see what happens.

I tried removing the e_common.m and common.m files both separately and simultaneously from the ferd folder, but I still get a black screen loading into the battle map for 1-2. Perhaps the issue is with the map or enemy layout files?

Thinking of starting a second playthrough not sure if i should wait for the update will things be changing in the old chapters? When do you think next release will be/how many chapter?

i LOVE this hack cant see myself playing original anytime soon

20 minutes ago, flare9 said:

Thinking of starting a second playthrough not sure if i should wait for the update will things be changing in the old chapters? When do you think next release will be/how many chapter?

i LOVE this hack cant see myself playing original anytime soon

I suggest waiting for the next update due in the next few days. Micaiah is receiving a rework which will be require a restart anyway (unfortunately -- wanted to avoid any forced restarts but based on feedback it was worth changing her IMO).

Here are the unit changes in particular:

Spoiler

[UNITS]

[MICAIAH] (rework)
- Base MAG increased by 3
- Base LCK increased  by 2
- STR growth increased by 5% (now 20%)
- MAG growth increased by 30% (now 90%)
- SKL growth increased by 10% (now 35%)
- RES growth increased by 15% (now 65%)
- SPD growth reduced by 20% (now 40%)
- MAG cap increased to 25/45/60
- SKL cap increased to 12/24/34
- RES cap increased to 14/25/36
- SPD cap reduced to 14/24/34
- Promotion bonuses adjusted
- Now gains Fire/Thunder/Wind (all rank C) in 2nd tier
- No longer gains Staves (D rank) in 2nd tier
- Now gains Staves (C rank) in 3rd tier
- No longer gains Fire/Thunder/Wind (all rank A) in 3rd tier

[EDWARD]
- Base SKL increased by 2
- SKL promotion bonus increased by 1

[SOTHE]
- Base STR increased by 1
- Base SKL increased by 2

[MEG]
- MAG growth reduced by 5%
- RES growth reduced by 10%

You don't necessarily strictly require a restart. But Micaiah's weapon ranks would be incorrect in tier 2. Just load a save before the end of part 1 though and it would be fine. So you won't even need a full restart if preferred. Her stats may be a little weaker as to what they should be but that's about it.

Of course, other changes are accommodating this. Thani's being changed as well (higher MT/WT) along with a global nerf to dark magic.

In fact, I'll probably release a new patch before 2-3's release just so people can choose to restart sooner than later if they want to.

(Also, while the change list for Micaiah seems like a massive buff, you'll be surprised how removing the ability to double affects a unit. It's more of a power shift than a buff; nerfing her previous base case scenarios while improving worst case)

Edited by Dunal

Dunal, that’s quite a change to  Micaiah. She seems closer to her vanilla self than the new speedier version you had. What was the feedback you were getting that brought on these changes?  

How will this change her performance/ what do you have in mind for her? 

Losing staves seems detrimental for the DB in part 3, but I suppose the Anima access means effective dmg vs. laguz.

Edited by Aetherio

Her losing staves seems like an incentive to both use her offensively in part 4 (like the dark god avatar she is) and to keep the allied bishops alive in part 3. You gonna give them more physics, right Dunal?

I do wonder what their AI would do if you gave them a Rescue staff though.

35 minutes ago, Aetherio said:

Dunal, that’s quite a change to the Micaiah. She seems closer to her vanilla self than the new speedier version you had. What was the feedback you were getting that brought on these changes?  

How will this change her performance/ what do you have in mind for her? 

Losing staves seems detrimental for the DB in part 3, but I suppose the Anima access means effective dmg vs. laguz.

The feedback discussed was basically:

A) Micaiah doesn't feel good when she doesn't double, because her MAG is gated by the fact that she can often double. This means that she's weak against say, Cats in part 3. She's also kinda bad if she fails to grow SPD. The general lack of consistency isn't ideal for a MC.

B) The satisfaction of Thani one-shots is gone if Micaiah cannot double (usually the case with Duke/Arch Knights) since she lacks the raw power to do so, what with HP being far higher in this hack (weakening effective damage). Thani also therefore falls off hard later on since 27 MT against armor/cavs isn't spectacular when things like Bolganone have 48 MT when effective. However, straight buffing Thani is hard to do if Micaiah can double with it against other foes.

C)  It doesn't feel characteristic. Micaiah's identity was/is having immense power over having high SPD.  Stat spread was also too similar to Laura or Calill (with the latter just feeling like an inferior version long-term). Now more similar to Sanaki which makes more sense thematically.

D) Power curve has issues due to her forced promotions. This relates to her SPD caps and how those tie in with her other stats. The new direction makes her more consistently good during the latter parts of Part 1 or Part 4 (before endgame).

The only problem with this direction was that inflating her MAG makes her too good as a staff user compared to the Bishops or other staff users. Therefore, that had to change since she should still feel combat focused. It provides a good opportunity to have effective damage against the Laguz as well (without being game-breaking since she can't double them).

It also makes Sacrifice actually relevant for healing past part 1.

Edited by Dunal

Thanks for clearing that up Dunal. 

1-Makes sense. I found her mag/spd caps to start lagging around end of part 1. 1-E felt like she wasn’t doing much at all. Her adjusted spd seems like she’ll still avoid being doubled by most at least. 

2-Defs noticed Thani not making a huge difference around late part 1. I like how you plan to buff it. Will you give her Creiddylad in part 4 

3/4- Sounds like Miccy will be a massive hard-hitter. Do you plan on having her as the late  game offensive powerhouse you initally proposed and  does she still get some sweet promo bonuses? 

I like the revised Micaiah. Keen to see how she plays out. 

Edited by Aetherio

17 minutes ago, Aetherio said:

Will you give her Creiddylad in part 4 

Do you plan on having her as the late  game offensive powerhouse you initally proposed and  does she still get some sweet promo bonuses?

Previously, she would receive this tome earlier in part 4 but now Lehran drops it when you defeat him. It's incredibly powerful at 40 MT (Micaiah can reach 100 ATK with it) but it's specifically designed around the final map. The intention is that Micaiah is key to taking down Ashera's auras since she deals significantly more damage to them than any other unit in the game (immune to being doubled and has 50 DEF, 40 RES along with reducing physical damage by half), with Sanaki only coming comparatively close. Safe to say that she's the most powerful unit in endgame, with Ike/Sanaki/Kurthnaga following behind. At least, that's the intention.

However, Ashera herself is immune to magic, so your physical units have the spotlight there. You pretty much need to rely on magic otherwise though.

Edited by Dunal

So it seems like 4-E-5 will  be the most difficult map. That's good, I like your idea. 

Will you make Micaiah immune to the Aura's Aurora? Figures if she's Yune and can't be hurt by Ashera, that would make sense. Though might be a little OP. 

Also you  could make it so she can wield Judge, but that sounds too out of character for both Miccy and Yune. 

Hey guys, thanks for trying to help me before. Been away from my laptop for some time but I'm back and if anyone has time I'd still like some help through PMs with making the patch work. My messages should be enabled now. It'd be much appreciated.

Again, no matter what I do it seems like the patch itself doesn't work at all. All attempts just lead to the vanilla game loading. "Normal" difficulty and same stats, enemies, and classes in the prologue.

Also, Dunal, I'm very curious about Sanaki's bases and growths. From what I've read, she seems like she'll fulfill about the same role as Micaiah and Sanaki in the vanilla game; delivering single, immense blasts of magic in combat. Pretty much the strongest instances of damage besides maybe her sister. Will her other stats be about the same as well (as in, slow, frail, Res+Lck heavy)?

I love the idea of Sanaki being able to SS all kinds of offensive magic but assuming her stats will make her fulfill the same role as old Sanaki, I do get concerned about her actually having any kind of particular synergies with the new Thunder and Dark tomes. If she is still physically frail, she would objectively still be sub-optimal as a Thunder or Dark user and therefore her unique niche of access to all those magic types would be kind of redundant. If someone wanted to use either of those magic types with her and turn her into a frontliner, I don't see her damage alone justifying a decision like that. Even with a higher HP value.

Edited by Carreau Diamond

22 hours ago, Carreau Diamond said:

I love the idea of Sanaki being able to SS all kinds of offensive magic but assuming her stats will make her fulfill the same role as old Sanaki, I do get concerned about her actually having any kind of particular synergies with the new Thunder and Dark tomes. If she is still physically frail, she would objectively still be sub-optimal as a Thunder or Dark user and therefore her unique niche of access to all those magic types would be kind of redundant. If someone wanted to use either of those magic types with her and turn her into a frontliner, I don't see her damage alone justifying a decision like that. Even with a higher HP value.

Here is Sanaki currently:

Spoiler

Sanaki.png

Stats are fairly similar to Micaiah offensively although keep in mind that Sanaki's HP is extremely poor (lowest in the game) and her SPD/STR can easily cause her to get doubled and killed. Cymbeline is a 30 MT tome that she of course gets right off the bat (albeit having 60 HIT and 15 WT...) and also innate Rally (+5 STR/SKL to adjacent allies) with a high chance to proc Flare.

Also, she ties Kurthnaga with having the highest Capacity in the game at 100. With 4 open skill slots that's a pretty big deal.

On 15/01/2018 at 5:47 AM, Aetherio said:

Will you make Micaiah immune to the Aura's Aurora? Figures if she's Yune and can't be hurt by Ashera, that would make sense. Though might be a little OP. 

Micaiah's mastery skill is actually Aurora itself. You'll eventually see how the interaction works...

22 hours ago, Carreau Diamond said:

Will ike still have to land the final blow?

Yes. Although physical units are overall needed to take down Ashera as well (Ike cannot solo her).

On 14/01/2018 at 9:40 PM, Mr. Mister said:

She gonna be able to use Creiddy regardless of SS-rank choice?

Yes -- it's a prf tome as opposed to having a rank.

By the way, there will be a new patch tomorrow that includes Micaiah's update amongst other changes.

Sanami’s such a quick learner. How viable would be each situation where you bless for her one of the SS tomes instead of Cymbeline because you aren’t bringing any archsage of such magic to endgame? I assume Rexwind is allright, but Rexbolt!Sanaki is the interesting one. I am of course assuming she can’t SS dark.

She’s gonna be like a doll for players to dress up, weaponwise and skillwise. Ima slap a Stillness on her, and... and... huh, and I don’t know what else. Nihil if there’s a spare, Pavise if there’s a spare too (Leo is using one for that sweet %Skill proc chance), same with Nihil. I guess most of that capacity’s gonna be Paragon pre_endgame.

Edited by Mr. Mister

Okay. With huge skill capacity, that craaaaaazy Cymbeline and it's effect, and her huge flexibility, I really like Sanaki. That Str/Skill boost to allies also makes her great with other people who wanna bodyguard her too. I was having a hard time seeing her damage justify her presence in combat, but just wow.

I love that!

One thing I've always been a bit disappointed with about Fire Emblem is how hard it can be to kill the forced Lord-type units sometimes. Even when that particular strength isn't always earned. It makes the mechanic of an instant Game Over being tied to a lord's death, just redundant. I'm looking at you PoR Ike, Ephraim, Lucina, etc.

With Sanaki's stats being as they are, I feel like I'm really going to have to keep her safe with some legitimate bodyguards, like a Queen in a tense game of chess. Makes me really wanna think ahead to Part 4 and consider what kind of units I wanna get on a team revolving around her. Probably some decently burly physical frontliners and speed-demons. I'm really looking forward to building a new holy guard just for her. Also can't wait to see how good Tanith and Sigrun might be at keeping her safe as well.

Oooh Micaiah gets aurora- sounds like fun. Love it. Could be even nicer if she was given Mantle when Yune blesses everyone before 4–E-3.

How will her speed work now with reduced growth? Do you have her now only doubling occasionally, but often not getting doubled herself? Perhaps having her with low/avg skill/spd but high def ala Ilyana  2.0 on the frontlines alongside high mag/luck/def/res to be a real tank but  not too overpowered due to lower spd. 

Does she gain inspire at tier 2? 

Sanaki looks  very interesting. High dmg but risky on frontlines. Love the support from rally. 

Edited by Aetherio

Does Parity eliminate WTA bonuses/penalties too? I can't find any info on that besides a post where someone recommends it for Ike vs BK hardmode over Nihil if the aim is to ORKO because it eliminates the Mt penalty on the hammer.

The picture in its wiki page shows the WTA/D arrows on the weapons icons during the battle animation, but maybe those show up regardless.

13 hours ago, Aetherio said:

Does she gain inspire at tier 2? 

She does. Makes Laura/Fiona really powerful to say the least

4 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Does Parity eliminate WTA bonuses/penalties too?

It doesn't. Although, if I knew how, I'd probably implement that!

New patch is up by the way. Not a huge one by any means. Just releasing something before 2-3 so Micaiah can be updated sooner rather than later. May end up releasing 2-3 / 2-E together since with 2-E, there's not much to be finished there. 3-P and 3-1 will follow shortly together after that (3-1 is actually done).