Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

You're right, I did forget about the 22 speed ravens, even still I never found the ravens in 1-8 to really be that difficult, their kinda squishy, and Vika being able to deal with half of them no problem is still pretty good (In the process she's likely to get another level or two and probably proc another point of SPD anyways).

Vika is a unit you have to spend some resources training but then she grows really fast and generally surpasses Naesala in Part 4(from what Dunal has said), the price for that is obviously stealing EXP from the Dawn Brigade and I think that's OK (it's kinda like how it was in vanilla except in vanilla she would only wind up about as good as Naesala already was and without Formshift, and it would take WAY more babying and favoritism in Part 1 to pull it off, I would know since I've done it, by comparison training Vika here is a walk in the park and has better payoff, of course whether or not that payoff is worth it is debatable, but as for what she brings to the table? Meh. She's a flyer, flyers are good, your only other flyer at this point is Jill and she has different weakness, plus she gets to have canto and shove at the same time, so that's neat.)

Edited by Renigade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Rengor1997 said:

I'm ok with where Sothe is rn honestly. Grows amazingly. Though I do wish Micaiah's speed were higher if she's a main character. Seriously she's a slowpoke for pretty much the whole of part 1.

Micaiah isn't designed to double and that's why her magic is as ridiculously high as it is (high enough where she deals as much damage in one attack as other casters would do with two). She actually had a lot more SPD in past versions (with less magic) but the problem with that is that she was more reliant on doubling to deal a lot of damage, so against swordmasters/cats etc... she would be worse than she currently is, where her raw damage is so good that high SPD or RES doesn't counter her. And as it stands, the slowest enemies (Generals) she has effective damage anyway and should 1HKO them. And if she still isn't doing enough damage than its better to give her a MAG buff than SPD. Again, SPD wouldn't help her damage at all against anything with decent SPD to begin with.  

It's also better design in the maps relevant to her later on. In 3-6 there's cats (that she wouldn't double regardless) and with Tigers if she was designed to double them then she'd easily 1RKO them with Elfire due to their low RES. Same with Hawks. In 3-12 there's plenty of armors and in 3-13 she's only using siege tomes anyway and wouldn't be doubling with them regardless. Otherwise, her SPD only needs to be high enough to not get doubled by mid-tier SPD enemies (Same with Ilyana or Aran) like Tigers.

I think her worst performance out of any map is 1-E itself since is so movement oriented before the very end, and she still has uses there with the occasional Thani or Fenrir. She's a bit of a late bloomer either way -- she's intended to be the best unit in Endgame aside from maybe Kurth. Her tier 2 class is more of a tier 2.5 as well, so she's really good in part 3 or 4 as a whole.

46 minutes ago, Rengor1997 said:

Though speaking of which, since Nailah isn't avalible for Part 1 I hope her stats will be good when she joins in Part 4. I also kinda hope she joins with S strike and not A since A at that point would be really weak.

She does join with A but has 30 STR (so 41 ATK) with enemies averaging ~17 DEF. That's still 2RKOing except Generals. But then should gain a strike rank a map if used moderately. The reason she's designed that way is so her potential damage is gated behind needing combat EXP and not BEXP. Most of the royals are designed that way. Higher weapon rank would mean that BEXP is better which is more efficient on Laguz compared to Beorc come part 4.

At least, that's the design intent. An easy buff if required is to just increase the MT on A and/or S (lowering the gap between ranks).

1 hour ago, Rengor1997 said:

BK could get up to 15 speed in my opinion to avoid being doubled by the Poleax elite, but remaining doubled by Swordmaster and Sage elite. With the aura change and perhaps some res he'd be in at least a fine spot don't expect the memes about his nerfs disappearing tho

14 > 15 SPD and 10 > 12 RES are the planned changes, along with Aura on Alondite (which is effectively -6 damage taken total against anima as well). 

Also, Elites are being changed. They now no longer gain a flat SPD bonus to their bases but are a few levels higher for the sake of more EXP (still a net loss in SPD though). So I'd say that makes them slightly easier overall in return for more reward. The Elite Warrior shouldn't be doubling anyone anymore let alone the BK.

1 hour ago, Rengor1997 said:

Even not comparing her to the magic users she's still sorta underperforming, since her mag/spd are low and she gets further AS loss from Elthunder and Arcthunder.

Thing is, you need to think about how relevant those things are (less than you realize).

For slower units like Ilyana (or Leo/Aran etc...), her AS is only relevant up until the point where she starts getting doubled by harder hitting enemies (so Warriors, Wyverns, Dragons, Tigers, Halberdiers etc...). Even when she's being weighed down by Arcthunder (immediately after promotion which will be 11 AS on average) she doesn't get doubled by enemies in 1-7 (~13 SPD) and on average gains 1 AS ~60% of the time on a level (either has to proc STR/SPD). Assuming average levels she'll never be doubled by enemies where it would matter. It's the same deal with enemies after she first joins where Elthunder doesn't put her down to a dangerous SPD either. Meanwhile, every enemy that would double her (SMs, cats, ravens, sages) would still double her unless she's a speedy unit herself. So when being in the 12-17 AS bracket, it doesn't matter where you land in that. Same with 18-24 and 24-30. Any variance within those rarely matters, only if you reach enough AS to move to the next one to double the previous bracket (or to not be doubled be the next one). 

There are exceptions to this where say, 15 AS is enough to double an Axe General, so it isn't always as simplistic as that. But for the most part, those are SPD groups you're looking at for 1E. There's units like Fiona/Muarim (or a higher levelled Nolan) where they can often be on the edge of this bracket (so it's more down to luck or needing a booster to start doubling).

The other argument is that her MAG isn't good enough so her damage suffers. But is that really true (in context to how many rounds she needs to KO)?

In 1-3 she 2RKOs everything except four enemies (the boss, two seers and the sword armor). In 1-4 her offence is great on Tigers (and if she can proc 1 SPD, then she doubles them with a forged thunder, meaning she's the only unit other than Sothe/Meg that can 2RKO them). In 1-5 she's likely your best unit aside from Sothe (and maybe Volug?) either 2RKOing or 1RKOing anything and bolting is available. 1-6-1 is the first map where she's not that great due to all the pegasi (although there are a few Wyvern) compared to other units who suddenly have something great going for them (Horseslayer!Aran, Bowgun!Nolan, Leo etc...). 1-6-2 is where bolting is at its best if you know what to do with it. At this point she solos the Wyvern group that spawns as well. 1-7 she 2RKOs almost everything with Arcthunder. 1-8 she fares pretty well in general (dragons, as well as reaching the point where her crit is ~30%, which is essentially a 1RKO several times during the map).

1-E isn't an amazing map for her and it's perfectly reasonable to drop her (over Tormod). Wind and dark magic are pretty common here so she may want Stillness if she is used (to avoid those) but that's a high cost. With a +DEF support she can tank the swordmasters just about as good as anyone can, so that's a plus. And bolting can chip away at the Sages (particularly the Elite one). Problem is, Tormod likely has higher priority at this point and can do the latter anyway. Although, if Nolan didn't have the Hammer or Aran the Brave Lance, I'd consider her better than those two. Her ATK with Arcthunder is only a bit lower than a forged steel for either of those... but she targets RES. Then you account for the massive crit% on top of that. She only needs to crit maybe twice overall to be more efficient. It's just that the hammer or brave lance secures a 1RKO rather than a random chance to.

Still, dropping her in 1-E still makes her great for part 3.

2 hours ago, Rengor1997 said:

Who's this second healer for part 3? Is micaiah's promotion no longer story based or does someone else get staves upon promotion?

Wasn't going to reveal it yet, but it's Meg.

I was initially against giving units/classes new weapons (aside from magic) without working custom animations since it T-poses them. But it's Meg. She's already a walking meme, so why not go all the way?

1 hour ago, Dunal said:

In 1-3 she 2RKOs everything except four enemies (the boss, two seers and the sword armor). In 1-4 her offence is great on Tigers (and if she can proc 1 SPD, then she doubles them with a forged thunder, meaning she's the only unit other than Sothe/Meg that can 2RKO them). In 1-5 she's likely your best unit aside from Sothe (and maybe Volug?) either 2RKOing or 1RKOing anything and bolting is available. 1-6-1 is the first map where she's not that great due to all the pegasi (although there are a few Wyvern) compared to other units who suddenly have something great going for them (Horseslayer!Aran, Bowgun!Nolan, Leo etc...). 1-6-2 is where bolting is at its best if you know what to do with it. At this point she solos the Wyvern group that spawns as well. 1-7 she 2RKOs almost everything with Arcthunder. 1-8 she fares pretty well in general (dragons, as well as reaching the point where her crit is ~30%, which is essentially a 1RKO several times during the map).

In regards to Illyana I've gotta chime in here, in both my playthroughs I haven't gotten Ilyanna anywhere close to being able to wield Archthunder in time for 1-7, from my experience that doesn't happen till part-way through 1-E, and I've been using her a decent amount, no favoritism and no arm-scrolls but I certainly haven't been ignoring her, I'm not saying that she or her weapon rank needs a buff but that's been my experience, make of it what you will.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Would we still need to be wary of her dying with a staff equipped and her full animation on?

It's something that I'll likely be able to fix by removing the code that triggers her death animation (so it returns to the map immediately and skips it, so the game doesn't wait for it to play out) but that will then apply to Meg as a whole (not a big deal). On the other hand, Meg purposely crashing the game is so troll-y that I might even allow it (as bad as it sounds to leave it in). The thing is though, if you're training Meg all the way to tier 3, wouldn't you reset if she died anyway? At least with Fiona or Sigrun beforehand, they didn't even need to be trained to get staves with an immediate promotion item. And in their case, forcing them into a T-pose is pretty sloppy (and sharing Mist/Elincia's animation occasionally caused other issues). With Meg... it almost suits her.

On the other hand, if she has a staff equipped in 3-7 or 3-E... yeah you might not want to kill her if that's left in. But even if that did happen and the player was not aware, it shouldn't really be all that problematic... because reasons (she's the first enemy you ever fight/encounter on either map... Alone. So not much of a reset).

9 minutes ago, Renigade said:

In regards to Illyana I've gotta chime in here, in both my playthroughs I haven't gotten Ilyanna anywhere close to being able to wield Archthunder in time for 1-7, from my experience that doesn't happen till part-way through 1-E, and I've been using her a decent amount, no favoritism and no arm-scrolls but I certainly haven't been ignoring her, I'm not saying that she or her weapon rank needs a buff but that's been my experience, make of it what you will.

Discipline on two maps is more than enough. Siege tomes also should give 4 WEXP (OP seems to be wrong). So 5 uses of Bolting will give 40 WEXP (2/3rd of the way to A rank) by itself with the skill. I think she's a top candidate for it on 1-4 to reach B rank for 1-5.

Elthunder with a spirit dust is the alternative though. Should still put her in 2HKO range for most enemies in 1-7 (outside generals).

As with any unit it can be down to RNG (can certainly get MAG screwed). It's feasible to drop her especially since the only map where she gets free deployment after 1-6 is 3-5 (in 3-2 you have more units than deployment slots now due to the cats/tigers).

@Dunal Did you unintentionally make Levail more powerful than the Black Knight? I understand the reasoning for making him buffed in the prisoner map but do you need him to have 105 hp and double the Black Knight's stats? Couldn't you just have him bring better help instead? 

I failed the 1-E map again for the 7th time so I think I'll revisit it later on when the easy mode has been revised. It seems like I need a lot of retuning of strategies for Redux.

@Dunal Ok, I didn't realize he was supposed to be that powerful from playing the regular game. I always thought the Wishblade gave him a slight edge in 4-E, not comparable to the Black Knight. It would be like comparing Ranulf to Caineghis.

Edited by grinus

2 minutes ago, grinus said:

Did you unintentionally make Levail more powerful than the Black Knight? I understand the reasoning for making him buffed in the prisoner map but do you need him to have 105 hp and double the Black Knight's stats? Couldn't you just have him bring better help instead? 

Levail has his 4-E stats. BK's stats (when playable) are only for part 1 (they increase afterwards) and his true stats will be comparable (if not higher) to Levail's.

49 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Discipline on two maps is more than enough. Siege tomes also should give 4 WEXP (OP seems to be wrong). So 5 uses of Bolting will give 40 WEXP (2/3rd of the way to A rank) by itself with the skill. I think she's a top candidate for it on 1-4 to reach B rank for 1-5.

I try to be careful with my usage of siege tomes and generally save them for really hard chapters such as 1-E, but beyond that I almost never give discipline to someone who has only 1 weapon type, and when I do it's cause they're sitting at E rank like Meg in 1-4, I'd wager most FE players who aren't going for low man strats do the same, so even if I were to take your advise and try putting discipline on Illyana in the earlier maps in future playthroughs I'm still pretty sure that the general Redux player-base would wind up in my situation, not having access to archthunder till part way through 1-E and that's if they're using her on every map, and maybe that's fine, but I'm just pointing it out in case it's something you hadn't considered for balance purposes.

>I almost never give discipline to someone who has only 1 weapon type

You can't really have all three of Illy, Leo and Nolan reach A rank before 1-E to use Arcthunder, Heavy Longbow and Silver Axe having only a single Discipline to share between the whole brigade, it's a choice, but hey, Fire Emblem sometimes is. There's also Micky if she wants to wield that Fenrir without using the skill, but you're gonna need to not be so conservative with Ruin to reach it.

So will Meg still have access to all three melee weapon types? And what will her tier 3 class name be? Battle Maiden? Lady War? Walk-yre?

Edited by Mr. Mister

That perspective isn't wrong -- there's always an opportunity cost involved. Usually if I've decided to use Ilyana long-term then I'm either giving her Discpline on 1-4 & 1-5 or 1-6 (I don't think any other unit gets as much short-term value out of it; Meg can feasibly get C rank without Discipline before the Greatsword and Aran can use a forged Iron rather than Steel if need be). However if I'm not using her (and/or if she gets a couple bad levels in 1-3 for instance) then I won't really focus on her beyond killing some dracos on 1-5 (and dropping her later on). In that case the skill goes elsewhere.

Of course, same logic can apply to any unit regarding resources. Volug without the energy drop is another example: might be your best option on average but there are plenty other candidates for it as well.

I'm not sure that comparison is really fair, it's a no brainier that stat boosting items generally get their best mileage out of a Laguz who gets double value out of it but unless you know what weapons are coming up and when they're coming (which you shouldn't on your first playthrough, and you'll probably only vaguely know on subsequent playthroughs unless you play the game very regularly) then you'll likely think discipline is best used on someone like Meg cause you don't know that she only needs to reach C rank in the foreseeable future and that Illyana would really like to reach A, also unless I'm biased(Tormod...) I usually don't know who I'm gonna use in any given playthrough, I like to play it by ear, and unless she gets a couple perfect level ups in 1-3 I don't think 1 chapter is enough to convince me to use a unit long term (although the point of putting discipline on her in 1-6 is still valid) but now I'm starting to get kinda subjective as I know many people do like to plan out who they're gonna use in advance (but even then you never really plan on your first playthrough, even if all the characters are "borrowed" from vanilla RD their essence as a unit is different and you really need to play with their new versions to see who you'd like to use.)

Edited by Renigade

Regarding Vika, keep in mind that BEXP is extremely efficient on Laguz and Vika/Muarim both have low HP/LCK growths for a Laguz and much higher STR/SPD. So if you want to use them, a couple levels in 1-7 plus 2-3 BEXP levels is enough to make them really powerful (on average).

@Rengor1997Watched the beginning of the stream only just now; so making some further comments on other units/items.

1-3 Silence: 8 uses say hello. Put it this way, if your silence lands, you're essentially auto-killing a mage (they become zero threat) with the upside of feeding EXP to literally anyone with no risk. It's okay on Laura (her MAG isn't amazing) but transferring over to the GMs (for Rhys) is ridiculously good. More than anything though, it actually makes most enemies with status staves have far more counterplay. Far less obnoxious when their range is limited.

Mage weapon ranks: Ignoring how relevant/superfluous it is in the grand scheme of things (to actually have multiple magic types) Sages (Calill/Tormod) having a lot of them is kinda their shtick and isn't that game-breaking due to their poor availability (in that sense, they can only realistically rank up a couple). Ilyana only has one but that's what she's designed around -- a melee brawler that targets RES. No different from Aran (another melee brawler) that targets DEF with only one weapon choice.

Fiona: Her stats are fairly middling all around but training her to begin with is entirely optional. Her 10/1 stats aren't even that bad. The suggestion to just make her T2 has been raised before, but honestly her bases + promos from the get-go are okay when you consider that her healing niche in part 3 (again, free deployment) can be really useful regardless of stats. Want to make her a strong combat unit? Sure, go ahead... train her, it's perfectly viable to do so. But the need to do that keeps her consistent with original Fiona at least (I feel that making her a pre-promote is completely opposite to her initial incarnation which feels wrong somewhat).

Jill: Yeah, she's still really good no doubt. Squishy sure, but that's more excusable for a flier with canto. Thing is, there isn't really any particular reason to make her weaker since she still has weaknesses. The fact that she needs to avoid both Bishops and Mage Knights later on do matter (maybe less so in part 1). And in part 3... the dynamic changes where being a glass cannon hurts more than it helps. That's a discussion for later though. Either way, if she's on the stronger side overall I don't really mind, and I'll explain that later in this post.

Meg: You say that she needs a lot of EXP investment but that's making an assumption based on her starting level. A lower level just means that the unit gains more EXP so its better to apply more context to stats themselves. Her SPD is mostly the only thing that benefits hugely from levels. Everything else is sufficient for what she's useful for. 1-4 is also perfectly suited for training her while also increasing your efficiency on that map. I'm pretty sure that LTC'ing the map for maximum BEXP (in the next update) is out of reach without a decent usage of Meg herself. Still, she's an armor and has lower base move. It's always less tempting to 'train' a unit with that problem (although she ignores penalties from thickets and ledges, making up for it somewhat). Hpwever, she does pay off on average. Having effective damage for most of Part 3 is incentive enough.

Edward: Comments where made that his growths aren't that befitting for a Myrmidon. That's entirely intentional to make him contrast with Zihark (it's boring when you have two units so similar to each-other, even if they are the same class). Edward is more of a Mercenary/Hero in the long-run. Caladbolg even pushes that further.

Overall perspective of units being "nerfed": I'm sure you understand this at this point but the intention that units are "nerfed" isn't really accurate in context to everything else at play. Edward's stats aren't "worse" when you consider how much higher EXP is, early promotions, goals for difficulty etc... To say that Edward is stronger in vanilla hard-mode (promoted with greater stats) in 1-8 is highly debatable. We are talking about a game where Edward would struggle to double enemies past the Prologue (without a SPD proc), let alone be promoted and self-sufficient before part 3. I think you're underestimating how bad units have it in the original (when you consider that this hack is meant to be more consistently challenging than vanilla HM on "normal" -- as far as 'Intermediate' is concerned).

One thing to keep in mind overall: It's still Fire Emblem and RNG can very much dictate how good/bad units can be. Judging unit viability after only 1-2 runs is naturally going to lead you into thinking that things aren't 'balanced' based on personal experience. The tuning/design of this hack so far is based on feedback of players who played through it 20+ times (granted, that wouldn''t necessarily prevent you from being sceptical to some tuning -- some things may not have obvious context in that regard). In any given run, you're bound to have units that over/under perform. It's just the nature of things. Not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but it's also important to mention that 'perfect imbalance' is the optimal design for FE as a whole (IMO). Designing units to be too equal/balanced can make the game boring/predictable (as in, Sothe > Aran is pretty blatant, but that doesn't mean Aran is bad or Sothe is OP -- it's just intentional that Sothe is 'better'). The way I see it, so long as units have a clear niche/identity (and interesting/fun to use), and aren't too weak/strong (for what they're intended to be) or too difficult to use then that's fine. Not to say that some units won't fall outside of that by any means (it's certainly been the case in the past) but I'm fairly confident that units in part 1 don't fall outside of that currently. Not to say that minor balance tweaks are out of the question; those are still ongoing.

There's also a reason why I'd be less optimistic to 'buff' Ilyana (should she need buffing) in areas like MAG/SPD, because those aren't her strengths. Increasing those is making her boringly 'balanced' in all areas as opposed to making her distinct in what she's good at. So I'd be more inclined to buff her further in SKL/DEF even more if she would require that. After some consideration, some extra STR on promotion could be pretty valid (even if I consider it a placebo buff for the most part).

Essentially, I strongly dislike 'balance hacks' that attempt to make everyone equal (by homogenising stats/traits). Sure, you can nerf the Jeigan to make him "equally viable/good" vs. anyone else from a tier perspective... but what's the appeal in playing something like that?

This isn't really directed at you specifically by the way; just an opportunity to explain my thought process as a whole.

Edited by Dunal

Dunal, that minimalist patch that you mentioned earlier will come soon? I just downloaded yesterday the game and since it would be my first time playing it (I have already play and beat path of radiance on maniac because hardcore player here) I would like a game where I can use anyone without a lot of fuss over their tier while testing the original balance before playing Redux 

7 minutes ago, ronlyn said:

Dunal, that minimalist patch that you mentioned earlier will come soon? I just downloaded yesterday the game and since it would be my first time playing it (I have already play and beat path of radiance on maniac because hardcore player here) I would like a game where I can use anyone without a lot of fuss over their tier while testing the original balance before playing Redux 

Yes, I plan to release it early this following week. Just trying to playtest it as much as I can before then. (Up until now, I've been occupied with 'converting' an LPer's save to a clear file... harder than it sounds).

38 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Yes, I plan to release it early this following week. Just trying to playtest it as much as I can before then. (Up until now, I've been occupied with 'converting' an LPer's save to a clear file... harder than it sounds).

If is something like Mangs "Mangs Mode" I presume this is quite the deal so don't worry and take your time: You have done an amazing job till now I can wait (if is yet another excuse to finish another game I'm playing right now)

19 minutes ago, Dunal said:

Hah, I told him he didn’t do it right back when he released the first video. Hoping you can get a bit of promotion for your minimalist patch in return. Shame that Mekka seems to have been exposed to that ReDux+ stream and based his opinion of ReDux on it.o

Did you offer to make Florete loght-based too? And when altering the character bases to simulate transfer bonuses, did you also add the extra bonds from transferred A supports?

Edited by Mr. Mister

5 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Hah, I told him he didn’t do it right back when he released the first video. Hoping you can get a bit of promotion for your minimalist patch in return. Shame that Mekka seems to have been exposed to that ReDux+ stream and based his opinion of ReDux on it.o

Did you offer to make Florete loght-based too? And when altering the character bases to simulate transfer bonuses, did you also add the extra bonds from transferred A supports?

I think they referred to the BK being doubled and 2RKOed by the Elite sage in 1-E as an indication that is representative of ReDux's difficulty as a whole (which obviously isn't true). And I think they might have just saw that without further context.

I did not make any gameplay changes to Mangs' version by his request. I did offer to fix the gameplay bugs in the original game (such as Mist's Florete, Fiona's base level etc...) but they would prefer the game to be the same as how it was released (for consistency with other people playing the game and rating units etc... Mist obviously becomes a lot better with a magical weapon).

2 minutes ago, Maggonis said:

Sorry but I'm to tired to read through 43 pages at the moment and just wanna ask when there will be content past 2-2.

I really find this hack amazing: difficult but rewarding = perfect 

Keep it up!

There will be another release between FEE3 and before the end of the year (at the latest). Hopefully sooner rather than later (depends on feedback from FEE3 itself). Will go up to 3-2 and will have much more frequent releases after that.

Also, for the rebalance, I think I'm going to release that in parts of over the next couple weeks. Part 1 I'll release tomorrow, with each part 2-3 days in-between. Essentially how long it will take me to play-test all the way through the game and make any further tweaks.

46 minutes ago, Dunal said:

There will be another release between FEE3 and before the end of the year (at the latest). Hopefully sooner rather than later (depends on feedback from FEE3 itself). Will go up to 3-2 and will have much more frequent releases after that.

Also, for the rebalance, I think I'm going to release that in parts of over the next couple weeks. Part 1 I'll release tomorrow, with each part 2-3 days in-between. Essentially how long it will take me to play-test all the way through the game and make any further tweaks.

Excellent: it has been a while since I was part of the testing process in a patch so this should be fun

Edited by ronlyn

@Dunal I'll definitely revisit Redux once it's out of testing phases and complete. I'm very enthusiastic about the rebalance and I'm hoping Lethe/Lyre will actually be viable enough to take to endgame on normal/hard. Having watched some speed runs of both PoR & RD on Youtube, I realized that I learned some bad habits from them and won't be playing on easy mode ever again. 

Edited by grinus

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Re-Balance (Part 1)

Spoiler

• Bases/growths are modified for most playable units (as well as additional attributes such as authority stars)
  • The base difficulty of the game is slightly increased (adjusted enemy bases/growth rates based on class)
  • HP cap now set to 40/55/70 for physical units, 35/45/55 for magical units and 80 for Laguz with some exceptions
  • LCK cap set to 40 for all classes with some exceptions
  • Stat caps of 10 (or lower) in T1 classes are now increased to 12 with any other caps increasing to 20 (Laura's SKL/SPD)
  • Stat caps tweaked for most T2 & T3 classes to be more in line with unit bases/growths
  • Promotion bonuses increased for all T1 units
  • MT on tomes increase further at higher ranks
  • Thunder magic's base MT has been increased (from 3 to 6) with higher tiers scaling accordingly
  • Earth affinity's evasion bonus has been reduced
  • Longbows and Crossbows have increased MT and adjusted HIT
  • Playable Laguz are now lower level (with base stats to match in most cases)
  • Laguz weapons have modified stats based on class
  • Laguz weapons now grant more WEXP (usually double, sometimes more) and Laguz gain more combat EXP at higher levels (past level ~15)
  • Laguz transform gauges now decrease more slowly when shifted and increase faster when in human form
  • Magic cards have much more MT but reduced HIT
  • Mages and armors now have a lower movement cost for climbing ledges
  • Armors have no movement cost when moving though thickets
  • Horses can now move through shoal/rivers (at a high movement cost)
  • Some maps are modified slightly (such as unit starting inventory)
  • Gold cost changed for many items
  • Shops are modified in some parts of the game (promotion items can be bought infinitely when they are available)
  • The vine card (when forging with a coin) can no longer be selected and the pick rate for all other cards have been adjusted

Patch A and B are included.

As a confirmation, growth changes are fairly minor overall (base level/stats cover the majority of unit changes aside from global ones like stat caps) therefore units are mostly true to their original form (with some minor exceptions like Meg who has lowered base LCK to make Fortune immediately useful -- her growth for it is still good). As mentioned in the change-log, the base difficulty is slightly higher but that's mostly to offset buffs to playable units (therefore, the difficulty should be around the same). All difficulty modes are playable.

I'll create a new topic for it shortly after it's finished. There won't be much post-release support for it once that goes ahead, so now would be a good time to provide any feedback.

So wait are there differences between A and B or are they 2 parts to the same patch? Also does this do away with hard mode exclusive silliness or is that gonna be a separate patch?

Thanks again for this, looking forward to trying it out :p

Edited by Renigade

9 minutes ago, Renigade said:

So wait are there differences between A and B or are they 2 parts to the same patch? Also does this do away with hard mode exclusive silliness or is that gonna be a separate patch?

Thanks again for this, looking forward to trying it out :p

No, patch A and B are just for different ISO types. It's the same with ReDux so just use the same one (A or B) that worked for you before.

Hard mode is the same as the original game. So just play on normal if you dislike it (no different from the original game). If anything it should be better than vanilla (in part 1) since unit quality is better on average. Plus, you have the option to instantly promote Ilyana if you want another Jeigan.

Edited by Dunal

On 10/7/2018 at 1:51 PM, Dunal said:

Also, I could include a version that has higher enemy stats/growths that replicates hard mode in that regard (but is played on normal mode to retain WTA, enemy movement checking etc... Same deal with ReDux).

So we're clear the normal mode included is regular normal mode and not pseudo hard mode normal mode? Are you still planning on doing a pseudo hard mode normal mode or was that more of an "eventually it might happen" kinda deal?

No rush either way, just curious.