Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

So, thinking about the Rally, Inspire, Fortify thing more, and assuming those front page stats are still mostly accurate:

Inspire on an Archer. They can buff a Fire Sage or Wind Strategist without compromising their own position. Might get some opportunities to buff a Valkyrie or Seraph Knight too. Leonardo's all ready got Longbow + Disarm, so I'd guess either Rolf or Shinon. I'd guess Shinon. He's got more skill for Longbow use, so his position is more flexible. Rolf, meanwhile, has much higher strength, so I'd guess he's much less in need of a "team buff" to be effective. Not sure on the synergy of an Inspire Crossbowmen.

Inspire on Devdan. Just 'cause. Oh, and for buffing Fiona.

At least one of the Valkyries or Seraph Knights could use one as well. Could take either Rally for frontline troops & backline Archers or they could take Inspire for backline mages. Not Elinicia or Fiona - they've got Amiti and Move+1 all ready. Also, probably not Tanith, because I'm guessing she's going to be the hardest hitting of the female horises. So...one of Mist, Astrid, Marcia, or Sigrun.

Blessing + Fortify on Leanne, axe Paragon. > : ) Could also do a Blessing + Fortify Valkyrie or Seraph Knight. > : )

Fortify Oscar to contrast Rally Kieran. Bit of a yin & yang thing for those two. Also, Geoffrey's a Paragon user, and by the front page's stats, once you get him back in Part 4, he basically overtakes Oscar anyways. Course, you lose Fortify Geoffrey for Part 2 - only played FE10 once & I don't know what's happened in your mod, so iunno if Part 2 Fortify is more important tactically.

I'll second the Fortify Pelleas, as well as some of these moves on some of the Armor Knights. Dunno which one is best for which though.

Haven't thought about the Laguz at all. So, that's all I got.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably want to avoid Inspire on more than one unit, just because stacking would be too powerful (+10 SPD may break endgame with units that shouldn't double).

Currently I'm testing:

Kieran (separates him from Titania), Sanaki andĀ Mia (fits their playstyle/niche or at least challenges good use with them due to lack of mobility/endurance): Rally

Other good candidates were Skrimir, Ena and T3 Ike. ItĀ couldn't be both Sanaki and Skrimir considering their joint availability (access to buffs should be sporadic) and a second mandatory endgame unit is a bit much. I'm open to giving Rally to Ike rather than Sanaki though.

Pelleas/Vika (powerful ability provided to est-type units that kinda fit their theme): Fortify (Now named Shroud). Naesala was considered instead of Vika but decided on Vika in the end. Mostly because it's easier to fit within her power budget (lack of availability).

Still unsure on Inspire because speed buffs require even more power budget (unless it's a main/forced unit). Candidates are:

T3 Fiona, Astrid or Sothe, Elincia,Ā T2+ Micaiah. Or a Heron.

Personally, I'm heavilyĀ leaning onĀ Micaiah at this point. I just think that a speed rally unit would be far too valuable to not be in your endgame team, to the point where I'd need to balance around that possibly being a factor (much like how Nasir currently is in the Ashera fight). But then it would mean that if they are not present... you would likely be a lot worse off. Making them optimal no matter what. A Heron with Inspire would just make them the best one as well. It also means that I can balance Micaiah'sĀ SPD (and MAG?)Ā itself under the circumstance that she can never receive a SPD buff herself.

You could make Inspire a scrollable skill, but not the other two, if the +10 Spd stackĀ is a concern but locking it on a non-endgame-mandatory unit eould make it virtually undismissable. Since it's such a strong skill, I'd personally give it as the free skill on a unit you would normally not think of bringing to endgame due to replacing it with another similar unit, or on an unit you can use through a good chunk pfmthe game, as one of the themes of RD with its huge army size and divisions is to enjoy using units through the journey and not just on the destination. For instance, if only Skrimir were to have it and for free,Ā but Giffca and Caenhigis were to be slightly bettr than him stats-wise, then you could still make good use of Skrimir through part 4 (and his support of both green and blue units in part 3), and still unequip it and givenit to someone else at a high cost in Endgame.

The other option is to give it to someone endgame-mandatory. Ena already has boon and Kurth is already unique by getting Kingshift eventually, so I say what if it's the Male Whisper's mastery skill instead of Bane? This way Bane can be the unique skill of the Female Whisper class (which you can rename to Trickster and give a staff-rank to, we discussed long ago). This also solves the issue of Sothe being usually looked down upon for essentially "taking Volke's place" in endgame, and overall the most disliked of the mandatory choices. Yeah, I think I'd like that - Inspire for the Whisper, it even sounds fitting, and if he's in a support role then if you bring Volke or Heather he doesn't suffer from giving them the Baselard, as he'll be less likely to be in melee range due to positioning tactics, making the Peskatz more iseful to him.

Ā 

EDIT: Also it's game over if player-controlledĀ Sothe dies at ANY point of the game IIRC, so you don't have to balance around the possibility of not having Inspire on endgame (not even if Sothe is underleveled and sucks - the player can use him for bonuses then savior-rescue him before enemy phase).

Ā 

EDIT 2: Also consider giving some of these Tide skills to strategically keyĀ yellow units in 2-E and 3-oilemandburnem, to further increase the value of keeping them alive.

Ā 

EDIT 3: Also since Chaos Incarnate gets Mantle, does that mean you've found a way to make Deghinsea's Breath, Lehran's tome and Ashera's judgements blessed and able to damage her? And if so, can you do that with to theirĀ AoE weapons too?

Edited by Mr. Mister

On 2/8/2017 at 11:58 AM, DLuna said:

I probably want to avoid Inspire on more than one unit, just because stacking would be too powerful (+10 SPD may break endgame with units that shouldn't double).

Currently I'm testing:

Kieran (separates him from Titania), Sanaki andĀ Mia (fits their playstyle/niche or at least challenges good use with them due to lack of mobility/endurance): Rally

Other good candidates were Skrimir, Ena and T3 Ike. ItĀ couldn't be both Sanaki and Skrimir considering their joint availability (access to buffs should be sporadic) and a second mandatory endgame unit is a bit much. I'm open to giving Rally to Ike rather than Sanaki though.

Pelleas/Vika (powerful ability provided to est-type units that kinda fit their theme): Fortify (Now named Shroud). Naesala was considered instead of Vika but decided on Vika in the end. Mostly because it's easier to fit within her power budget (lack of availability).

Still unsure on Inspire because speed buffs require even more power budget (unless it's a main/forced unit). Candidates are:

T3 Fiona, Astrid or Sothe, Elincia,Ā T2+ Micaiah. Or a Heron.

Personally, I'm heavilyĀ leaning onĀ Micaiah at this point. I just think that a speed rally unit would be far too valuable to not be in your endgame team, to the point where I'd need to balance around that possibly being a factor (much like how Nasir currently is in the Ashera fight). But then it would mean that if they are not present... you would likely be a lot worse off. Making them optimal no matter what. A Heron with Inspire would just make them the best one as well. It also means that I can balance Micaiah'sĀ SPD (and MAG?)Ā itself under the circumstance that she can never receive a SPD buff herself.

I agree, Micaiah would be a good user of it just because she is a main unit; and gives a good buff in her support abilities :D

I didn't consider double Inspire for spd+10. Or just stacking these buffs in general. Yeah, holy cripes, suckers have to be limited, definetly.

You're argument for Inspire Micaiah is sound. It'd be nice if there were a way to NOT give Inspire to Miccy Sue since she's all ready got several things going for her. But, if it's just absolutely not possible to make is "optional" in the endgame, then yeah, Micaiah or another forced endgame. Not sure about Inspire Fiona, she's all ready got +1 Move to help her stick out.

Rally Ike makes a lot of thematic sense. Same time, Rally Sanaki gives her some support abilities, and it'd be a contrast to Inspire Micaiah (assuming that's what's done). Ugh, decisions, decisions.

Shroud Vika kinda means you're reverting back to "Shroud is unavailable for most of the game," which is what you were trying to avoid by taking it off dragons. Then again, she's the only Part 1 user of these skills unless Sothe gets Micaiah.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Yang Wenli said:

Sorry to bother everyone. This hack looks really interesting, but Dropbox seems to have removed the file. Is there any other way I can try this out? Thanks in advance!

The current patch was/is outdated but they'll be a new update shortly after FEE3. Should be sometime next month.

On 27/9/2017 at 1:55 PM, DLuna said:

The current patch was/is outdated but they'll be a new update shortly after FEE3. Should be sometime next month.

I'm excited to try the new patch.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2017 at 10:29 AM, Mr. Mister said:

Any news, DLuna? I like hearing about your progress and any balancing dilemmas that may have arisen from time to time.

Next release will be around the time of FEE3 since there will be a showing for it.

Main changes since last update would be:

• Mage classes no longer having 'Shove'. Instead, they get innate class skills along the way. This would be Micaiah's 'Inspiration' starting tier 2, Bishop'sĀ 'Slayer' (Dragonfoe)Ā or Ilyana's +5% > +15% > +20% crit etc etc...
  • Untransformed Laguz retaining some stats based on type. Cats retain most of their SPD/RES, while ReysonĀ retains STR/SKLĀ etc...
  • Overhauling + preparation for multi-version releases (a version for each affinity).

Otherwise, it's mostly just been polishing the map design/content. Mostly on AI changes to make a few maps flow better. Initial release may only be up to 2-2, but should be steady following that (a weekly release schedule).

To clarify multiple versions, they'llĀ eventually be 8 versions of the game, one for each affinity. Each version will have different shops, tweaked map design (based on the affinity of the map), and bonuses to playable units with the same affinity. Support bonuses are raised as well as some other factors.

Oh, so in the end your version variance will be coded by affinities? You were a bit ambiguous there though and kinda make it sound like in each version all maps will be of the same affinity, but that's not so, right?

And anyway, what are the map/character matching affinity bonuses? I can't seem to find them anywhere explicitly on the internet. FE wikia also claims that it boosts item-finding chance, but I don't buy it.

Edited by Mr. Mister

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2017 at 5:35 PM, Mr. Mister said:

Oh, so in the end your version variance will be coded by affinities? You were a bit ambiguous there though and kinda make it sound like in each version all maps will be of the same affinity, but that's not so, right?

And anyway, what are the map/character matching affinity bonuses? I can't seem to find them anywhere explicitly on the internet. FE wikia also claims that it boosts item-finding chance, but I don't buy it.

The 'chapter guide' here on SF does show this last I checked.

They'll be some bonuses on maps with same affinity as well as units sharing it. Item drops and enemies themselves will differ as well, even on maps without the matching affinity. It adds some variance to the game.

As for BEXP through allied staff usage I'm not too certain myself. May need to look into that.

On 02/11/2017 at 12:31 AM, Elite Lord Sigma said:

Would there be any way to make it so you can randomly choose from one of the affinity versions upon starting a new game?

These will be different versions of the patch, so not in this case. The eventual no-affinity mode will be the hardcore/lunatic version. Heaven mode is the 'easy/godmode'Ā variant. The other 7 versions are variants of the standard mode. That's the plan so far, but could still change.

Ā 

As for a release updateĀ -- still waiting on this to be showcased in FEE3, patch will release after that.Ā 

Worth mentioning that a play-tester discovered a bug that if a unit dies with no animation (such as Staff!Fiona) the game freezes. This doesn't happen when animations is turned off. However... for this reason I may need to remove any class/weapon combos that do not have an animation. From a presentation standpoint, I was always iffy about keeping them since adding customs have their own issues involved. So this seals the deal -- I don't want a player causing the game to freeze on themselves if they were to miss a disclaimer.Ā Ā 

The good news is that the alternative seems very promising. Instead of gaining staves on promotion, Fiona has the 'Blessing' skill at base, which is now locked. Combined with Imbue, means that she's healing herself and all allies within 2 spaces equal to her MAG. Granted, her MAG has been nerfed, but it does mean that's a functional AoE healer who can make great use of Canto for positional purposes.

Same with Astrid (with adjustments to her combat stats). Both haveĀ 'Boon' as theirĀ T3 masteries (lockedĀ of course; no longer exclusive to Dragons or in scroll form but Ena still has it).Ā  The latter may seem like a nerf, but they're meant to be support units without stellar combat, so Sol probably won't be missed too much, and status removal will be more important than before.Ā Seraph Knights will have Blessing as their mastery, with Stun being exclusive to the Wyverns and Elincia. Leanne still has Blessing, but Rafiel and Reyson noĀ longer have access to them, with Reyson havingĀ Maelstrom and Rafiel having Sacrifice.

Should all work out really well.Ā Potential for stacking may pose an issue, but you'd be using so many weaker combat units for it to work. We'll have to see. May be possible to make it so only the highest healing amount is applied.Ā 

EDIT: Oh and Kyza may be getting Blessing as well. He currently has Imbue -- really depends if he can be balanced around it. And for the Seraph Knights, I'm still debating whether it should beĀ all of them, or just Sigrun.Ā 

Edited by Dunal

18 hours ago, Dunal said:

f a unit dies with no animation (such as Staff!Fiona) the game freezes. This doesn't happen when animations is turned off.

Does it happen with "map only" animations too?

Ā 

As for the Seraph knights, I dunno. Going just by the characters', I feel like Sigurd should be the tankiest one, Tanith the most offensive one, and Marcia the speediest. You could keep Blessing as their mastery but have Sigurd have Nihil orĀ Cancel as her personal, Marcia with Crit +5 (ever considered using the +Crit skills as nontransferable personals?), and Tanith with Stun (wonder if animation works while she's still T2).

1 hour ago, Mr. Mister said:

Does it happen with "map only" animations too?

Ā 

As for the Seraph knights, I dunno. Going just by the characters', I feel like Sigurd should be the tankiest one, Tanith the most offensive one, and Marcia the speediest. You could keep Blessing as their mastery but have Sigurd have Nihil orĀ Cancel as her personal, Marcia with Crit +5 (ever considered using the +Crit skills as nontransferable personals?), and Tanith with Stun (wonder if animation works while she's still T2).

They do not occur on map animations, no.

The three Seraph Knights are already designed as:

Marcia: Most well rounded with notably the highest SPD/SKL/DEF. Generally the most powerful combat-wise but requires the most investment. MAG isn't that greatĀ though, so has lowerĀ utility. But doesn't really have any real weaknesses. No innate skill currently, but Adept is being considered.Ā (SPD / SKL /Ā DEF > HP /Ā STR /Ā RES / LCK > MAG)Ā 

Tanith: The anti-mage. Ridiculously high RES (highest in the game, even above Rhys and Heather) and decent offensive stats (mostly STR), but poor HP/LCK. Innate Maelstrom (locked).Ā (RES > STR /Ā MAG > DEF /Ā SKL /Ā SPD >Ā HP >Ā LCK)

Sigrun: Supportive in nature. Awful STR and SKL for her base level, but decent elsewhere with an emphasis on high MAG (which can still make her good in combat with magical weapons). Also starts as a Seraph Knight with a good staff rank (which the prior two units have to start E rank). Current skill is Miracle, but may become blessing (locked).Ā (MAG / LCK > SPD / RES > HP / DEF > STR / SKL)

For skills, Blessing is planned and other stat changes will be done as necessary. But it may just be Sigrun at this point.

Individual class skills aren't possible since they all share the same class, of course. Giving bonus crit is indeed possible as a personal skill though.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Dunal

No, I meant giving Stun as a personal skill, and wether that would work while the unit was still T2.

Ā 

Your current distribution sounds good enough though. Tanith's usefuleness as an anti-mage will depend on how numerous and dangerous the enemy sages are in parts 4 and 5; you giving S-rank anima tomes to any of them?

28 minutes ago, Mr. Mister said:

Your current distribution sounds good enough though. Tanith's usefuleness as an anti-mage will depend on how numerous and dangerous the enemy sages are in parts 4 and 5; you giving S-rank anima tomes to any of them?

Physical vs. magical damage will be a 50/50 split yes (considering magical weapons now being a thing), some enemies will have S-rank tomes. Earlier than you'd expect as well.

Part of the reason why some magic types are 1-range only means that more enemies of those types can exist. It lowers the requirement to rely on 1-2 range weapons to counter with. So it creates a better balance of which enemies can exist together as well. Previously, a group of mages + archers wereĀ an annoying combination. Now, much less so. 3+ range tomes also mean that equipping 2-range weapons is less essential as well, since you won't counter them regardless.Ā 

Speaking of magical weapons, do the wind sword do effective damage against fliers, or did youĀ to give them the same effectivelessnessĀ flag as spirit tails? I do agree that the Dragon Fang should have antilaguz effectiveness, but Iā€™m not sure I want my fliers to be done in by storm swords.

Iā€™m also thinking that instead of dark with poison, the Dark Axe could be made into a thunder axe in order to have magical weapons for each magic type. Might be okay to let it be effective against dracos, since about the only ax user with decent magic is Titania, and Wyrmslayers are a better alternative for dracoslaying purposes.

You could make the Wishblade magic-based (Light) if you hvaenā€™t alreday, what with thta name and all; for boss-slaying purposes, the Heavy Spear is a bit stronger at the same weight but with less hit, and its 1-range only is a factor against Deghinseaā€™s mastery.

Also rename the Heavy Spear to GlaiveĀ Voulge or Heavy Pike, to avoid confusingĀ it with aĀ ranged lance.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you interested, shadow0825 semirecently stream his playtesting of RaDawnX (I'm really trying to come up with a good pet name here) on its by-then current state, up to the chapter with the muddy hostages.

https://www.twitch.tv/shadow0865/videos/all

Ā 

It's been a while since I watched it so it's not that fresh, but I can remember these main points:

• Shamicaiah rocks.
  • Edward run out of swords (starting Slim Sword and the chest's Wind Edge) before reaching convoy and shop; consider switching starting weapon to Bronze Sword and have a myrmidon (either one of those in 1-1 or replacing a bandit in 1-E with one; I'd choose the latter) drop a slim sword.
  • On that note, maybe you should reduce bronze weaponry's durability considerably, maybe to 15 (20 for bows). It's supposed to be used as a training tool after all and would break down easily from battle usage. And with their increased WEXP means you want the player to consciously decide to buyĀ them occasionaly for that purpose, instead of always keeping one and carry it through many chapters while using it consistently.
  • While dark magic's +7 Prot against metal weapons (which I assume you accomplish as a non-contrareciprocated weaponĀ disadvantage from sowrds/lances/axes)Ā does indeed seem a bit excessive in part 1, I'm confident that further into the game the much bigger HP pool sizes will balance it appropiately.
  • Holy Starting Positions And Player/Enemy Reinforcement (lookin' at you, Sothe) Spawn Points Replacement Batman.
  • Ilyana eats soldiers for breakfast.
  • As a joke, give Fortune to AimĆ©e. Would actually be a bit of RNG-proof to ensure she can tank a single hit she wouldn't normally get 1RKOed from.
  • Ā While the prison break map's advancing wall of doom was indeed very dooming, I'm not sure if it makes canonical sense for it to be there at that time. Instead, you could replace it with a lv20 sword-wielding general (give'im celerity if you can). If you can also replace the armored sword that represents Alder in the cutscenes with a general, even better, as it would make it clear it's him (shame he's not as a coded unit in any unused data, like Zelgius is). If you can replace promote his curscene unit like that, there's also no reason (besides contrasting with Jarod) you couldn't make him a Marshall, since his only confrontation is with the BK and being tier 3 wouldn't help him much anyway.
  • Write some encouragement in Meg's entry (where her growths are); people might see them and your description and just assume she's still bad because of what she is, instead of thinking what different things she can do.
  • Those druids in the desert are hilariously appropiate and useful.
Edited by Mr. Mister

18 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

Ā 

• Shamicaiah rocks. Oh, she gets even better.
  • Edward run out of swords (starting Slim Sword and the chest's Wind Edge) before reaching convoy and shop; consider switching starting weapon to Bronze Sword and have a myrmidon (either one of those in 1-1 or replacing a bandit in 1-E with one; I'd choose the latter) drop a slim sword. If you watch his second playthrough, you can see that I added an Iron Sword on 1-3.Ā 
  • On that note, maybe you should reduce bronze weaponry's durability considerably, maybe to 15 (20 for bows). It's supposed to be used as a training tool after all and would break down easily from battle usage. And with their increased WEXP means you want the player to consciously decide to buyĀ them occasionaly for that purpose, instead of always keeping one and carry it through many chapters while using it consistently. There is only one Bronze weapon for each type in the entire game. You have to pass it around to benefit from the bonus WEXP. 50 uses is fine for this.
  • As a joke, give Fortune to AimĆ©e. Would actually be a bit of RNG-proof to ensure she can tank a single hit she wouldn't normally get 1RKOed from. She isn't really meant to be attacked and you're not overly punished for her dying. The unpredictability factor in her being crit is fine. Her LCK is really high anyway.
  • Ā While the prison break map's advancing wall of doom was indeed very dooming, I'm not sure if it makes canonical sense for it to be there at that time. Instead, you could replace it with a lv20 sword-wielding general (give'im celerity if you can). If you can also replace the armored sword that represents Alder in the cutscenes with a general, even better, as it would make it clear it's him (shame he's not as a coded unit in any unused data, like Zelgius is). If you can replace promote his curscene unit like that, there's also no reason (besides contrasting with Jarod) you couldn't make him a Marshall, since his only confrontation is with the BK and being tier 3 wouldn't help him much anyway. Levail isn't necessarily tied to Zelgius at this point in time and there will be some extra dialogue that provides some extra context. It's not until Part 3 where Levail is assigned to Zelgius. And after 1-7, is told to return back to Begnion by the senate to prepare for the upcoming war (also with the deserting of Jarod). It's a cool introduction from a blind player's perspective. This uber unit that you're running from is then also re-introduced in part 3 and then able to be defeatedĀ in part 4. It makes Levail a little more interesting/admirable when you see him again in part 3, since the player now understands how powerful he is, and therefore how powerful Zelgius must be. It's show, not tell.
  • Write some encouragement in Meg's entry (where her growths are); people might see them and your description and just assume she's still bad because of what she is, instead of thinking what different things she can do. She's still meant to be a joke unit (albeit very much a powerful one). It's up to the player to discover her worth. There's elements in part 3 that keep the joke going...

Responses in bold.

As a heads up, the public release (for part 1 & 2)Ā will be next week, possibly as early as Sunday. After that, they'll be roughly a weekly release for each map individually.

Edited by Dunal

Hey guys! shadow0865 here. So I have finals next week and my last day of exams will be on friday and I will be superĀ  free after that. So Saturday December 9th is when I plan to stream next, ill be finishing up to 2-E (or how ever far Dunal gives me) and as he mentioned earlier , weekly releases after that. I will probably do multiple runs during this to experiment with different skill builds, using different characters etc. The stream link is twitch.tv/shadow0865, would love to have people come hangout in chat, can get more opinions on stuff and what not. Didnt realize people were actuallyĀ talking about the stream here haha.Ā 

All the past broadcasts of what I have played so far should be up on twitch, if its not lemme know and Ill see what I can do. Looking foward to chilling with you guys next week!