what they will keep in american version and what not

dheavenlymango

The whole children thing is going to be rewritten. No way around that, since the whole time travel aspect of Awakening doesn't seem to be present here, given the problems established with characters like Elise/Sakura/Tsukuyomi/etc. Time travel to explain the kids would honestly make more sense than what we have now though, so I'd support that change.

There will be some reduction or removal of the sexualization of children/childlike features. Again, no way around that since it's unacceptable to an international audience. I could see them repeating what was done in Awakening and raising the ages of characters like Elise and Lutz through voice-acting and support rewriting, or toning down or excising things like the lewd compliments in the Zero/Nyx support. I don't expect S supports will be removed - it would affect gameplay too strongly, and if time travel is used to explain kids it could work better. Probably.

Avatar/Soleil will probably be rewritten, if not through the localization itself, then probably as a reaction from the outrage caused from that. I would expect that it along with some other supports are going to be rewritten whole cloth.

The supports in general are going to be gone over and rewritten for consistency. There are actually a few plot holes with pretty unfortunate implications for the younger characters in the game present in them.

Yeah, the localization is not going to like this job too much. If IS continues in this direction I'd expect more blowback from the international audience.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, there's no way Kamui and Soleil's support conversation will survive in its current state. It'll more than likely be rewritten entirely, seeing as it has already sparked controversy here and the game hasn't been released in the west yet.

I hope all the work the Treehouse might have to go through will open IS's eyes to the international audience. There's just so much content that's difficult to cover up without detracting from the gameplay.

Last time, the localization team made a half-baked attempt to cover it up by calling married cousins "companions" and throwing out the infamous "I'm actually 1,000 years old and totally not a kid even though I totally would be by dragon standards!" excuse. But now there's a different localization team, and I'm sure that NoA doesn't want to have to deal with this again in the future.

...Eh, maybe they'll just decide that there is too much for them to cover up and just embrace it. I hope not. I really don't want to see Fire Emblem continue down this path. And of course, there's always the chance of IS continuing to neglect its international audience regardless of if NoA wants them to or not. They do seem really intent on keeping it Waifu Emblem.

And about Soleil's/MaKamui support...I think people are twisting it around too much and overreacting. However, if NoA has payed even a little attention to the fans, there is no way they'll let it slide. It's not worth dealing with the outraged fans. Personally, I'm far more bugged by Soleil's personality then that one support. She's a pretty distasteful portrayal of homosexuals. I'd be fine if they made it so she wasn't bisexual in the first place(but then again, there would probably be people who see that as an act of homophobia).

Hey, hey, hey...I'm completely normal even though I married that monster werewolf girl!

...Right?

Whatever blows your skirt up, mate. Im really not all about judging people for their choice in video game spouses. I just cannot apply second gen characters to my MUs as such because im actually over 30 and its just too awkward. I married Nowi in FE13 once to see what Manakete Morgies was like and it was awkward. I also had a Loony file MU marry Lissa. That was only marginally less awkward but i actually thought the character was older than reality. (like, i thought she was 16 pre-timeskip) I dont self-insert, but still...its awkward.

Well hey, at least nobody married Pieri or Midoriko.

Midoriko looks literally five years old. That unnerves me. But Pieri is actually an adult who just has a....psychological issue. Shes not a literal child.

Nowi also had the excuse of being a millennium old Manakete. She wasn't 10. They even kept bringing up her age to reaffirm this point

Basically, they made him awesome.

Nowi was still awkward as all hell.

Yeah Japanese!Henry was as exciting as dried dog shit. Im actually glad with what Localization did with him. Hes among my favorite husbandos.

I imagine that the only changes we will see is a few of the characters are aged up, some characterization changes and some of the skinship lines and incest overtones toned down.

Thats about it. Normal for localization. I doubt we will see the censorship boogeyman for this one.

Arrr. I really doubt we are going to see a huge overhaul. They cant change some character designs, but they can at least imply they arent literally five years old.

That's what happens when you have a fanatical cult waiting for something for over a year in the age of internet.

And have an unnerving desire for censorship. Brrrrrrr....localization changes are imminent. But the sheer extent people want them to censor this game just...

tumblr_ng62s7WkuG1snteogo1_250.gif

Whatever blows your skirt up, mate. Im really not all about judging people for their choice in video game spouses. I just cannot apply second gen characters to my MUs as such because im actually over 30 and its just too awkward. I married Nowi in FE13 once to see what Manakete Morgies was like and it was awkward. I also had a Loony file MU marry Lissa. That was only marginally less awkward but i actually thought the character was older than reality. (like, i thought she was 16 pre-timeskip) I dont self-insert, but still...its awkward.

Midoriko looks literally five years old. That unnerves me. But Pieri is actually an adult who just has a....psychological issue. Shes not a literal child.

I was just kidding, buddy. I don't see why a second generation unit would be more awkward than a first generation one though, provided they're not literal kindergartner of course. Shinonome and Siegbert are far older than Sakura, Elise, Tsukuyomi etc etc. Granted, I'd still prefer it if there were more older characters in the game - something about the army of 14-year-old supermodels fighting crime/evil in weird outfits loses its appeal as you grow older.

Yeaaaaaaah but Pieri acts like a child, and I was just taking a light jab at her just because I absolutely can't stand her character. Again, it wasn't meant to be taken very seriously.

Wait, why do people reply seriously to my jokes and joke when I'm trying to be serious?

Edited by Thane

I was just kidding, buddy. I don't see why a second generation unit would be more awkward than a first generation one though, provided they're not literal kindergartner of course. Shinonome and Siegbert are far older than Sakura, Elise, Tsukuyomi etc etc. Granted, I'd still prefer it if there were more older characters in the game - something about the army of 14-year-old supermodels fighting crime/evil in weird outfits loses its appeal as you grow older.

Yeaaaaaaah but Pieri acts like a child, and I was just taking a light jab at her just because I absolutely can't stand her character. Again, it wasn't meant to be taken very seriously.

Wait, why do people reply seriously to my jokes and joke when I'm trying to be serious?

You misunderstand. It was a friendly reply and explaining why i dont do second gen character marriage with my MUs. I have the same rule applied to FE13. Ive never romanced those second gen characters. (its also a wee bit weird to romance a character that was once your MU's kid in one run. B:) You also should understand there are people out there who will judge based on who you pick as your video game spouse, as unfortunate as that is. I remember someone getting all peeved because someone married Nah or some shit.

I have a feeling Pieri is getting a bit retooled in localization. She's too similar in appearance (and some of her personality) to DC's Harley Quinn. I would actually be a bit let down if they didnt localize her with a similar characterization to that, instead of this "Pieri is stuck as an 9 year old girl mentally" thing.

You misunderstand. It was a friendly reply and explaining why i dont do second gen character marriage with my MUs. I have the same rule applied to FE13. Ive never romanced those second gen characters. (its also a wee bit weird to romance a character that was once your MU's kid in one run. B:) You also should understand there are people out there who will judge based on who you pick as your video game spouse, as unfortunate as that is. I remember someone getting all peeved because someone married Nah or some shit.

I have a feeling Pieri is getting a bit retooled in localization. She's too similar in appearance (and some of her personality) to DC's Harley Quinn. I would actually be a bit let down if they didnt localize her with a similar characterization to that, instead of this "Pieri is stuck as an 9 year old girl mentally" thing.

Nothing says gaming community quite like a waifu war, huh? You've never married a second gen character? But according to all my naughty fanfics, they're the best characters! Fite me!

Oh, most definitely, and I'll welcome it with open arms. She acts like a child, but she gladly talks about her big breasts, which I think really, really won't be localized as-is. With any luck they'll actually manage to make her interesting and not treat her habit of murdering innocent people like a playful little quirk.

I personally don't see the spooky spooky censorship being able to do all that much to the game at large. Some supports will probably be changed (Mamui/Soleil being a prime example), but gameplay mechanics like skinship have so much time put into them I doubt localization could get away with it. S ranks definitely won't be removed because of the emphasis on strategic pairing and the avatar. My biggest hope for them is they can make the Nohr plot flow better

Nothing says gaming community quite like a waifu war, huh? You've never married a second gen character? But according to all my naughty fanfics, they're the best characters! Fite me!

Oh, most definitely, and I'll welcome it with open arms. She acts like a child, but she gladly talks about her big breasts, which I think really, really won't be localized as-is. With any luck they'll actually manage to make her interesting and not treat her habit of murdering innocent people like a playful little quirk.

Hahaha the waifu wars of FE13 were...a thing. lmao Harrr. They are supposed to produce the best Morgans but i just cant, man. I just cant! I aint gonna judge yer smut :P:

Well, i do think some of her murder tendencies are gonna be played for laughs, but not all the time. Like her supports with Felicia, i do not think thats going to be played for laughs. :| Nope. Her supports with Leon (are excellent as is but need smoothing out) will likely be a lot more serious too. I feel like her cry-baby tendencies will be more the laughs.

I think that bit will definitely be cut judging from FE13's track record

Cordelia the mentally sound consenting adult had the characterization of a walking boob joke in fe13JP, and almost all of that was cut, with the only reference of it left in the fanservice dlc where fanservice firmly belongs.

Hahaha the waifu wars of FE13 were...a thing. lmao Harrr. They are supposed to produce the best Morgans but i just cant, man. I just cant! I aint gonna judge yer smut :P:

Well, i do think some of her murder tendencies are gonna be played for laughs, but not all the time. Like her supports with Felicia, i do not think thats going to be played for laughs. :| Nope. Her supports with Leon (are excellent as is but need smoothing out) will likely be a lot more serious too. I feel like her cry-baby tendencies will be more the laughs.

That almost makes me sad I just randomly picked up Awakening one day without knowing anything about the franchise; I would've loved seeing those debates. Oh God please tell me you understood I was joking about the fanfics.

I haven't found a single support I like with her. Lazwald's was he most tolerable, but that's not really anything to celebrate. I absolutely couldn't stand her support with Leo, especially since I think they were trying to make some kind of point about morality while failing spectacularly.

Yay, more people who cry for fun. That sounds just about as exciting as characters who like eating food. I know everyone has a different sense of humor, but I'll never see what's so fun about that at all. However, it's not like they can do anything about that, given how her character portrait looks when she's sad.

While on the subject of Pieri, I wonder why she's completely different from her character bio in the pre-release material. I wonder if they changed something in the last minute or if Famitsu just got incorrect information.

Cordelia the mentally sound consenting adult had the characterization of a walking boob joke in fe13JP, and almost all of that was cut, with the only reference of it left in the fanservice dlc where fanservice firmly belongs.

I'm very glad to hear that. I'm not very familiar with the Japanese script of Awakening, but it sounds like the localizers did an excellent job given how they improved Henry and removed stuff like that. Seriously, there are some common jokes in anime and manga that I will never understand, and it's why I tend to avoid the medium altogether.

I'm very glad to hear that. I'm not very familiar with the Japanese script of Awakening, but it sounds like the localizers did an excellent job given how they improved Henry and removed stuff like that. Seriously, there are some common jokes in anime and manga that I will never understand, and it's why I tend to avoid the medium altogether.

Yeah the ChinaFE forums had translations for the Awakening supports so I was translating a bunch of it before we knew whether or not FEA was getting a localization (and granted, it was doubly translated from jp->chinese->english so I bet a shitton of nuance of language is lost but I think the basic content shouldn't have mattered) and I liked Cord's design from the waist up, so I wanted to know what she's like so I dug into some of those supports

and lemme tell ya, I was really really disappointed. I was like REALLY you had to bring up your boobs again? :/

Cord's character still disappoints me, but I'm at least very glad localization took out all the really unnecessary stuff.

Also, Odin's my favorite Pieri support. I had trouble finding a character I could reasonably pair with her as well, but the Odin support for her actually impressed me.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm thinking the DLC didn't have a localization checklist, Nah says 'True Dragonstone' instead of Dragonstone +, Inigo calls the Entombed Mummies, and Henry's convo with Inigo in the future past references HenryxOlivia's JP supports. I'm thinking it's actually a mistake they left that in lol

Edited by L95

I'm thinking the DLC didn't have a localization checklist, Nah says 'True Dragonstone' instead of Dragonstone +, Inigo calls the Entombed Mummies, and Henry's convo with Inigo in the future past references HenryxOlivia's JP supports. I'm thinking it's actually a mistake they left that in lol

Well there's that but there's also the CG with her swimsuit literally coming off because it's too big so

short of hiring an artist to redraw it (and we know they don't have anyone competent in that department look how bad the tharja curtain went) there's not much around it, I think

Edited by Thor Odinson

That almost makes me sad I just randomly picked up Awakening one day without knowing anything about the franchise; I would've loved seeing those debates. Oh God please tell me you understood I was joking about the fanfics.

I haven't found a single support I like with her. Lazwald's was he most tolerable, but that's not really anything to celebrate. I absolutely couldn't stand her support with Leo, especially since I think they were trying to make some kind of point about morality while failing spectacularly.

Yay, more people who cry for fun. That sounds just about as exciting as characters who like eating food. I know everyone has a different sense of humor, but I'll never see what's so fun about that at all. However, it's not like they can do anything about that, given how her character portrait looks when she's sad.

While on the subject of Pieri, I wonder why she's completely different from her character bio in the pre-release material. I wonder if they changed something in the last minute or if Famitsu just got incorrect information.

Of course i knew you were joking about the fanfics. But still, nothing to be ashamed of. Embrace the smut!

I think a lot of the supports and content comes off a little awkward to us because we arent native speakers of Japanese and translations are often missing a tonal substance. Pieri's Leon supports have hella potential to be pretty great with some careful localization. The support at base translation is really choppy, but i get whats going on there. Lazwald and Felicia's supports with Pieri might end up being the most serious.

Famitsu may have just not received a crucial bit of characterization information. So they kinda went with bloodlust, right? Im having a hard time remembering what that bio said.

I agree with brother, that Pieri merrily chatting about her bosom will likely be removed. I feel like Zero's lewder comments are also going to be removed or recalibrated. Which may be a terrible pity because some of us were looking forward to that.

Also, Odin's my favorite Pieri support. I had trouble finding a character I could reasonably pair with her as well, but the Odin support for her actually impressed me.

That one was hella good, yes. Actually, that one is likely the one that makes me think Harley Quinn to an extent.

Yeah the ChinaFE forums had translations for the Awakening supports so I was translating a bunch of it before we knew whether or not FEA was getting a localization (and granted, it was doubly translated from jp->chinese->english so I bet a shitton of nuance of language is lost but I think the basic content shouldn't have mattered) and I liked Cord's design from the waist up, so I wanted to know what she's like so I dug into some of those supports

and lemme tell ya, I was really really disappointed. I was like REALLY you had to bring up your boobs again? :/

Cord's character still disappoints me, but I'm at least very glad localization took out all the really unnecessary stuff.

If she didn't mention her breasts, how would we remember her one character trait, huh? Sadly, I was never a big fan of Cordelia's character either, but at least she's not degraded by such writing in the western version.

She might have one good support, huh? Well, I'm not sure that makes up for a shit ton of awful ones, but I'll give it a look. I don't think I've read theirs.

Well there's that but there's also the CG with her swimsuit literally coming off because it's too big so

short of hiring an artist to redraw it (and we know they don't have anyone competent in that department look how bad the tharja curtain went) there's not much around it, I think

I suppose that's one of the few good things with being a gamer in Europe: to my knowledge the censoring is rarely that bad, although I may be completely off here. But hey, it'd be nice if we had SOMETHING considering entire companies seem to forget the continent even exists (I'm looking at you, Atlus!).

Although weren't we the one who got the "boingy bits"? Wait, no, that was the US, while in Europe they changed the dialogue so that they talked about her hair instead. Apparently we can handle butts but discussions about breasts are where we draw the line.

Of course i knew you were joking about the fanfics. But still, nothing to be ashamed of. Embrace the smut!

I think a lot of the supports and content comes off a little awkward to us because we arent native speakers of Japanese and translations are often missing a tonal substance. Pieri's Leon supports have hella potential to be pretty great with some careful localization. The support at base translation is really choppy, but i get whats going on there. Lazwald and Felicia's supports with Pieri might end up being the most serious.

Famitsu may have just not received a crucial bit of characterization information. So they kinda went with bloodlust, right? Im having a hard time remembering what that bio said.

I agree with brother, that Pieri merrily chatting about her bosom will likely be removed. I feel like Zero's lewder comments are also going to be removed or recalibrated. Which may be a terrible pity because some of us were looking forward to that.

She looked at him with her giant crystal orbs, and nothing was left in them...nothing except desire. Am I doing it right?

You say that, but I do understand Japanese to an extent, certainly not enough to understand everything, hell not even a majority and least of all the minor details, but it's not like it's an alien language; poor writing in Japanese will be poor writing in English when translated. It's also not a trial version or anything, but the real deal and closest to the developers vision...for better or for worse.

Leo and Pieri's support may have some potential, but it'll need to be rewritten. Right now it's essentially Pieri asking why she can't kill whoever she wants while he has to explain morality to her as if he were talking to a child...and losing. It feels out of character for him, and it's so written so painfully awkwardly.

I believe it said she became bloodthirsty when sensing the dangers of the battlefield, implying she was somewhat normal otherwise - the Pieri we get is the same all the time and kills for fun.

Hm...I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's still a difference between how the two express themselves. Zero is more suggestive and lewd comments are part of how he talks, whereas Pieri is mentally a fucked up child who mentions her melons for no reason whatsoever, and that's far scarier than what Zero could ever hope to be.

It doesn't make up for the ones that are really bad (Zero x Pieri I'm looking at you that one weirded me out a lot in the S) but it's IMO pretty excellent on its own, at least.

I don't mind Zero being lewd to the adults, but I feel that localization could prolly cut the lewd shit out of his support with Elise. At least they're self aware and references it in Zero x Elfie? idk

But like, ZeroxPieri S has really awkward implications (in that it really doesn't seem pieri understands what's going on in that particular support) and I hope they'll at least address those parts.

It doesn't make up for the ones that are really bad (Zero x Pieri I'm looking at you that one weirded me out a lot in the S) but it's IMO pretty excellent on its own, at least.

I don't mind Zero being lewd to the adults, but I feel that localization could prolly cut the lewd shit out of his support with Elise. At least they're self aware and references it in Zero x Elfie? idk

But like, ZeroxPieri S has really awkward implications (in that it really doesn't seem pieri understands what's going on in that particular support) and I hope they'll at least address those parts.

SHNIKIES. I just read that one and the C-A is ok. But that S. That. S. Yeah thats legit uncomfortable. I have a feeling this is going to get rewritten a bit. I like Zero's lewdness tbh, but NoA/NoE may not. : ( (but that S is...nope.)

Leo and Pieri's support may have some potential, but it'll need to be rewritten. Right now it's essentially Pieri asking why she can't kill whoever she wants while he has to explain morality to her as if he were talking to a child...and losing. It feels out of character for him, and it's so written so painfully awkwardly.

Thats kinda my point though. The localized version of that can be really excellent without Leon sounding out of character.

Is there a catalog of these supports? I've read scattered ones here and there but I have yet to see a lot of them.

Is there a catalog of these supports? I've read scattered ones here and there but I have yet to see a lot of them.

http://pastebin.com/N8VKGxR9 (up to Aug 9)

http://fe14-supports-specialist.tumblr.com/post/127229541833/fe14-post-august-9th-translation (anything after)

Edited by Thor Odinson

SHNIKIES. I just read that one and the C-A is ok. But that S. That. S. Yeah thats legit uncomfortable. I have a feeling this is going to get rewritten a bit. I like Zero's lewdness tbh, but NoA/NoE may not. : ( (but that S is...nope.)

This is most of the reason why I'm not a huge fan of Zero. Lewdness to adults is fine and dandy, but lewdness to kids/childlike characters brings up a ton of unfortunate implications, both for Zero's character, and for the portrayal of sexual minorities. It brings up the old stereotype of homo/bisexuals being attracted to children - a reference that we honestly don't need in this day and age. If I were a localizer, while his speech pattern would probably stay in most of his supports, I would cut it almost entirely with his supports with Elise/Nyx/Pieri/etc., because it's completely unnecessary in the narratives of any of those, and puts Zero in a really bad light. Zero/Nyx would be a good comedy support if the lewd comments were taken out or redirected to non-childish traits, and Zero/Elise is pretty solid up until the S, as has been discussed. People complained about Nowi, but in hindsight the localization handled her... as best as they could I suppose, making sure that she was absolutely of age. I don't see this happening with characters like Elise without a larger rewrite. What I've seen so far is promising, (Elise's English voice sounds much older than her Japanese voice, so she might have been aged up) and they could do something similar to Lissa where the age is just not mentioned, but we'll have to see how it turns out when it lands.

Pieri I wouldn't predict would be changed too much. Her support with Arthur is really weird to a Western context so it might be rewritten. The dynamic between a justice-loving hero character and a bloodthirsty murderer could have a lot more going on than breast talk, so I could see the localizers doing work there. Her support with Leon is choppy, but I don't see anything that can't be handled through good translation. Maybe instead of Leon teaching her adult morals, give them a discussion on "Pieri's morals are X, while Leon's morals are Y and that's OK so let's get married." Good writing it ain't but it's probably the best way to faithfully localize the original.

I could see her being given the Henry treatment, being made into a character who focuses mostly on violence. Making her writing a Harley Quinn reference would be funny, but she doesn't stand out as a character who would make significant changes through localization to me. Gregor was a painfully generic old man archetype in Japan but he was rewritten significantly to really good results. I don't get that vibe from Pieri. Even then Gregor might be more of a product of 8-4 than regular localization, so it's up in the air how Pieri will be affected.

I think that Treehouse is capable of doing a solid job, but I could see them putting their foot down if IS continues to move in this direction. I feel like they've been blindsided a little bit by the direction the game is going, given prior announcements of Kamui fighting with their siblings but then later learning that Kamui could also marry them. I'd rather this not mean that future FEs stay in Japan because this is the direction that the game is going. It's probably too alarmist to think that, but I think it might be possible.

Edited by HeoandReo

I hope they don't cut out the "skinship" thing. I don't really get it, but I find it pretty funny.

I am fine with the lewd dialogue & (most of) Zero's supports, and I'm hoping that they don't censor too much. The creepy stuff can go, though!

I reckon they won't cut the lewd stuff, and just throw in some strange replacement for the hyperbolic time chamber.

"Hey you two nine year olds, i'm your child from an alternate reality! It's so good to meet you!"

The number of underaged romances in this one is weird and creepy. It's fine for a teenager to sleep with a teenager, but that's pushing it.

Reading some of these supports, IS was really unabashed about writing unfortunate implications. Zero seems like a character begging to be censored. I hate to go moral guardian on everyone but taking advantage of someone's sexual naivete and treating it like another joke is definitely not cool.

"Oh that Zero! He's really attracted to children, body and spirit! What a rascal!"

...Is that the reaction they expected?

I think his personality of intentionally putting people on edge and teasing them is good but some of those supports (Pieri/Elise/Nyx) cross the line.

Edited by NekoKnight

Oh it can't be that bad, Pieri is a grown ass wom- *reads the supports* ...what the fuck!?