FE4 (O-sawa Mitsuki) Manga Translation Continued (Chapter 70 up)

Jugdral Defender

3 hours ago, Jugdral Defender said:

Please remember to keep this topic to the manga. Comparisons are fine, but it's getting too off topic toward just the game (and it's a chunk of posts in a row). Thanks.

I've bought a mouse for the laptop so hopefully it comes in soon and I can start cleaning again. I've sent some chapters off to other cleaners in the meantime, so previews for volume twelve and onward will pop in when I can do that.

Okay. Sticking to the manga case, does anyone else agree that the way Sigurd died here was even more f*cked up than in the actual game, especially with Arvis? Since Deirdre literally reunites with Sigurd, regains all her memories, and then when Sigurd tries to reach out to Arvis, Arvis just kills him? And Deirdre still stayed with him? Like seriously?

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Okay. Sticking to the manga case, does anyone else agree that the way Sigurd died here was even more f*cked up than in the actual game, especially with Arvis? Since Deirdre literally reunites with Sigurd, regains all her memories, and then when Sigurd tries to reach out to Arvis, Arvis just kills him? And Deirdre still stayed with him? Like seriously?

Idk, I think it was better off for Sigurd. He died with some hope and happiness versus shouting in rage. I'm also not too sure Alvis was totally in his right mind in either the game or manga.

The manga does mention somewhere iirc that Diadora lost her memory again from the shock of losing Sigurd? I think it's definitely tragic, but in a way it's also just as awful to never regain her memory of him period and stuck knowing she has a son somewhere out there with a man she can't even remember who she apparently loved. In one of the interviews or notes on this site, I remember reading something about her figuring out she'd been married and all that previously but never abandoned Alvis for it in the game.

Both situations totally suck tbh so I'm not even sure which is the lesser of two evils for Diadora. Sigurd though, I think it was much better for him to go out with some kind of hope than to realize right then and there he didn't have that backup after all. Oosawa definitely did great with portraying Alvis' hopelessness at the whole thing though.

1 minute ago, Jugdral Defender said:

Idk, I think it was better off for Sigurd. He died with some hope and happiness versus shouting in rage. I'm also not too sure Alvis was totally in his right mind in either the game or manga.

The manga does mention somewhere iirc that Diadora lost her memory again from the shock of losing Sigurd? I think it's definitely tragic, but in a way it's also just as awful to never regain her memory of him period and stuck knowing she has a son somewhere out there with a man she can't even remember who she apparently loved. In one of the interviews or notes on this site, I remember reading something about her figuring out she'd been married and all that previously but never abandoned Alvis for it in the game.

Both situations totally suck tbh so I'm not even sure which is the lesser of two evils for Diadora. Sigurd though, I think it was much better for him to go out with some kind of hope than to realize right then and there he didn't have that backup after all. Oosawa definitely did great with portraying Alvis' hopelessness at the whole thing though.

Yeah, it's great that Sigurd fought against Arvis and such, but it's screwed up in how it honestly makes Arvis looks even worse in my eyes. Before, he was in denial, just trying not to accept it, but plagued with thoughts. Here, he was presented with the truth and was offered help, but he rejected it in the worst way. 

No, Deirdre mentioned that Sigurd was with her in spirit in the manga. For the game, Kaga explained that while her memory never returned, she did learn that Sigurd was her husband. But the thing is that in the manga, Deirdre STAYED with Arvis despite knowing that Arvis literally murdered her husband that she loved in front of her eyes. It's despicable if you ask me. 

And she KNEW that Arvis was her brother somehow too, not Arvis. Yet Deirdre stayed. 

I hated the idea that Arvis knew it because he should have realized Manfroy's plan during the decade-long period of peace the moment he discovered that Deirdre was his sister. And now Deirdre here in the manga knew. 

It's just wrong because they knew and could have prevented it, but they DIDN'T, and instead try to play it off as if they were a victim of fate.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

And she KNEW that Arvis was her brother somehow too, not Arvis. Yet Deirdre stayed.

Yeah, her finding out in the game is what I mean.

I think she stayed because she found out after the twins were born. Which tbh at that point was probably best for Alvis, and really, her too. They would have hunted her down if she left and Alvis really wouldn't have been able to protect her because she wouldn't have been there. He couldn't either way, but being together and alive and maybe trying to save the children was her priority.

1 hour ago, Jugdral Defender said:

Yeah, her finding out in the game is what I mean.

I think she stayed because she found out after the twins were born. Which tbh at that point was probably best for Alvis, and really, her too. They would have hunted her down if she left and Alvis really wouldn't have been able to protect her because she wouldn't have been there. He couldn't either way, but being together and alive and maybe trying to save the children was her priority.

No, Deirdre didn't know about her relation to Arvis in the game, only the manga. Oosawa reversed the case on who found out. 

In the manga though, Deirdre shouldn't have stayed with Arvis the moment that she regained all her memories, and then watched Sigurd be killed despite how he tried to help Arvis. That's the part that ruined it. 

16 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

In the manga though, Deirdre shouldn't have stayed with Arvis the moment that she regained all her memories, and then watched Sigurd be killed despite how he tried to help Arvis. That's the part that ruined it. 

She didn't stay with him, per se. Not at the moment she met with Sigurd. She was standing with Sigurd, but she of course knew Alvis' kindest sides. She wanted to believe there was something left for him in the world. She couldn't have stopped Sigurd from being killed because she had no idea it was going to happen (which is why she fainted from shock upon seeing it). I mean tbf the whole thing was complicated because Alvis was obviously distraught about her losing her, so I don't think she'd just leave him for Sigurd, but she'd definitely want to stay with Sigurd with her memories back. Right in that moment with Sigurd though, I don't think she exactly "stayed" with Alvis. He did feel betrayed in that moment too, so it's kind of like... she accepted she was married to Sigurd and wanted to be with him, but she didn't want to just drop Alvis off her radar after everything and leave him just like that.

But if you didn't like it, I'm not going to tell you to like it. I actually personally contest the fact that Diadora is raising twins with Alvis and from what it seems like, also considering what I know from future volumes, that she died thinking of and loving Sigurd instead of thinking of the people right there with her. It's one thing to think about Sigurd, but when dying, she gave no thought to Alvis himself (i.e. she could've given thought to both and her kids). The idea to me kind of felt like "well if I die I can be with Sigurd again. Regardless of like, you know, whatever happens to Alvis and Yuria in the meantime".

Not that I'm not bothered by Sigurd too sometimes in the manga. Boy, grabbing a naked lady in a lake and not letting her go after she tells you to ain't cool. :-_-:
Alvis was so cute when he asked Diadora to marry him. Alvis, why won't you talk to me like that--...

30 minutes ago, Jugdral Defender said:

She didn't stay with him, per se. Not at the moment she met with Sigurd. She was standing with Sigurd, but she of course knew Alvis' kindest sides. She wanted to believe there was something left for him in the world. She couldn't have stopped Sigurd from being killed because she had no idea it was going to happen (which is why she fainted from shock upon seeing it). I mean tbf the whole thing was complicated because Alvis was obviously distraught about her losing her, so I don't think she'd just leave him for Sigurd, but she'd definitely want to stay with Sigurd with her memories back. Right in that moment with Sigurd though, I don't think she exactly "stayed" with Alvis. He did feel betrayed in that moment too, so it's kind of like... she accepted she was married to Sigurd and wanted to be with him, but she didn't want to just drop Alvis off her radar after everything and leave him just like that.

But if you didn't like it, I'm not going to tell you to like it. I actually personally contest the fact that Diadora is raising twins with Alvis and from what it seems like, also considering what I know from future volumes, that she died thinking of and loving Sigurd instead of thinking of the people right there with her. It's one thing to think about Sigurd, but when dying, she gave no thought to Alvis himself (i.e. she could've given thought to both and her kids). The idea to me kind of felt like "well if I die I can be with Sigurd again. Regardless of like, you know, whatever happens to Alvis and Yuria in the meantime".

Not that I'm not bothered by Sigurd too sometimes in the manga. Boy, grabbing a naked lady in a lake and not letting her go after she tells you to ain't cool. :-_-:
Alvis was so cute when he asked Diadora to marry him. Alvis, why won't you talk to me like that--...

I could have accepted if it was a battle, Sigurd got a good few hits in, but Arvis ultimately won. But it shows instead that Sigurd won, and Arvis had to pull a look of pity to make Sigurd lower his guard. Here, Arvis realized the truth that Deirdre didn't love him but instead loved Sigurd, and how Sigurd was offering his hand to help Arvis. Arvis instead burns Sigurd to ashes and keeps Deirdre still. It makes Arvis look like a despicable bastard.

Oh, he was tragic in the game where he didn't have the complete truth in his hands. What made Arvis tragic in the game was the FEAR of losing Deirdre, as that was what plagued Arvis's thoughts that he had a desire for Sigurd's existence to be erased as a means of putting this thoughts to ease. But the manga showed Arvis the truth of Deirdre's feelings, and he instead still goes through with killing Sigurd. 

One thing the manga does handle is at the very least give Deirdre some more character. Some. Not that much. 

The biggest issue I have with Deirdre is that she isn't really a character. She's a plot device who exists for the sole purpose of having children. She's worth nothing otherwise. Which is really horrible when you think about it.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:15 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

You can post regardless of the date of the last post, so don't worry about that.

No, there is not a link to the raws anywhere to my knowledge. I own the books so the scans are coming directly from me/my books. I would recommend either purchasing the books or you can go to my Tumblr blog and send in an ask requesting whatever knowledge or previews you're looking for.

It's mostly a matter, for me, of not wanting my scans being stolen by posting them (such as no credit for the scans, etc. And scans take a lot of time. And it's pretty boring. And those books were expensive). I post the odd fully cleaned page or completed page while in the process of completing chapters, or I might post the odd raw with some commentary on my blog, but I don't upload in bulk. But if there's something you'd like to know before we get there, I have no problem discussing it and posting some things (I've done it here sometimes too). Basically, I paid a lot of money for those books and scanning entire books takes a lot of time when you add up every book, so I only upload the completed versions.

You can see whatever I've posted about the manga on my blog here, and again, feel free to send asks in for anything else or get some details here. Depending on what it is, I may have to put under spoiler tags if it's here, of course.

Thank you for the reply, I was on a trip for a few weeks and unable to check back. Good luck on your project! I'll either be patient or spend the money to buy the books myself.

Hello, I am new here but wanted to ask a question I have not been able to find an answer to really concerning the Manga.

On the Fire Emblem wiki it mentions that the Manga covers chapters 1 to 10 of the game, but does not make mention of the final level. Does the manga itself reach the end of the game and its Final Chapter, or does it cut off prior to it just with 10? I feel the story not including Hilda would probably detract from things a lot by that point, what with Hilda's death right at the end spurring Ishtar to do what she does along with that entire family largely hinging around the actions and machinations of Hilda.

Also, thank you to the people working on the translation! Wish I could help and lessen your burden, but I don't know Japanese unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Thunderscourge said:

Hello, I am new here but wanted to ask a question I have not been able to find an answer to really concerning the Manga.

On the Fire Emblem wiki it mentions that the Manga covers chapters 1 to 10 of the game, but does not make mention of the final level. Does the manga itself reach the end of the game and its Final Chapter, or does it cut off prior to it just with 10? I feel the story not including Hilda would probably detract from things a lot by that point, what with Hilda's death right at the end spurring Ishtar to do what she does along with that entire family largely hinging around the actions and machinations of Hilda.

Also, thank you to the people working on the translation! Wish I could help and lessen your burden, but I don't know Japanese unfortunately.

Given how the Shadow Dragon manga was mostly from Chapters 1-17 of the story, I get the feeling that no Fire Emblem manga that gets made is allowed to go all the way to the end.

4 hours ago, Thunderscourge said:

The final chapter of the game is mixed in with chapter ten of the game in the manga. Events from both are basically squashed together in one volume, with the exception of the final battle or a battle against Manfloy.

Ishtar's motivations at that point are based more on Yurius in the manga since Hilda isn't there for that.

Oosawa did probably more than one could expect mashing two chapters' worth of game story into one volume, but yeah, there's a lot missing from the Miletos arc because of the lack of the Hilda arc.

You're welcome! Cleaning is the only thing we're otherwise in need of besides translators, so if you ever want to learn to do cleaning, we can assist with that. I've taught a few people who were interested, so if you ever are, just drop me a message and we can work something out.

29 minutes ago, Jugdral Defender said:

Oosawa did probably more than one could expect mashing two chapters' worth of game story into one volume, but yeah, there's a lot missing from the Miletos arc because of the lack of the Hilda arc.

Probably because Hilda was so irredeemably evil that Oosawa couldn't make her be sympathetic, and her story is strictly about feeling sympathy towards the enemies we fight.

20 hours ago, Jugdral Defender said:

The final chapter of the game is mixed in with chapter ten of the game in the manga. Events from both are basically squashed together in one volume, with the exception of the final battle or a battle against Manfloy.

When you say with the exception of the final battle or the battle against Manfoy, do you mean those are not included at all or that they are not compressed like the rest?

Yeah I can imagine. I feel that Hilda could add something to the setting in just being an unrepentant villain to the core, since so many others get layers and depths so having her just be wicked as some people actually are could accomplish something all on its own. 

You're welcome! Cleaning is the only thing we're otherwise in need of besides translators, so if you ever want to learn to do cleaning, we can assist with that. I've taught a few people who were interested, so if you ever are, just drop me a message and we can work something out.

I have done some minor cleaning in the past for translations of fanmade comics of things, but my work by no means was 'clean' itself: just enough to do the job, so I will not profess to be an expert. I am interested in helping, though I would have to know what it all entails before I say yes of course. :): Once I handle some stuff I am presently busy with today/tomorrow I'll reach out to you and hopefully will be able to be of help, even if it means having to learn a few things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, Thunderscourge said:

When you say with the exception of the final battle or the battle against Manfoy, do you mean those are not included at all or that they are not compressed like the rest?

Yeah I can imagine. I feel that Hilda could add something to the setting in just being an unrepentant villain to the core, since so many others get layers and depths so having her just be wicked as some people actually are could accomplish something all on its own. 

I have done some minor cleaning in the past for translations of fanmade comics of things, but my work by no means was 'clean' itself: just enough to do the job, so I will not profess to be an expert. I am interested in helping, though I would have to know what it all entails before I say yes of course. :): Once I handle some stuff I am presently busy with today/tomorrow I'll reach out to you and hopefully will be able to be of help, even if it means having to learn a few things.

They weren't included at all. Alvis' battle is the last we get.

I agree that Hilda could have been beneficial to the plot. Having an actually irredeemable villain would actually help get the gray morality across with other villains/antagonists. It's unfortunate we actually lost a potentially great arc dealing with all that.

I'll message you with details as soon as I find the time and try to cover everything we need. Foremost we need redrawing capability though, and/or dealing with texture covering, replacement and filling, to cover the super basics of what we're in the biggest need of. Even if you can do one and not the other, let me know and I'll see what we can do! Thanks for the offer, too!

EDIT 12/17/18: Available again for cleaning. Situation mostly straightened out. Will be semi active again for now while things are figured out with this series!

Edited by Jugdral Defender

• 2 months later...

Update!:

Okay so normally I wouldn't make a double post BUT I want to update y'all because it's been so long.

The projects we were doing aren't exactly canceled. I know we've had to go on a lot of hiatuses and I suppose we'd have to consider this length to be one too. Due to life circumstances I couldn't work on the manga, but even once that was cleared away I had to consider that we don't presently have a translator. Nothing bad happened; TE just had other interests and that's fine. Overall most of my team members have seemed to need a break from FE in general, myself mostly included.

If the chance arises and we get the team members necessary to continue the project, I would be more than happy to continue with releases. Technically we still do have a chapter we could work on, and I'll speak to my cleaners about that and future cleaning.

While I did initially plan to continue cleaning the portions I could and posting some previews, not only was I unable to for a period of time, but by the time I could I no longer had the drive to do so. I've thought about the manga a lot recently though and it's definitely something I'd like to revive, I guess you could say. There's still plenty about it left that I enjoy and would like to get out. This will still require a translator, so I'll look around a bit again and see what I can do about cleaners/the cleaners in the team currently.

Reminder if anyone does want to help out with cleaning, I'm willing to train people. If you're a translator or know one who might be interested, feel free to let me know. I know translators for the newer games are easier to come by.

But basically, I haven't forgotten about these projects for this team or this manga. It's been in the back of my mind often. I can't be sure I'll get back to it right away, but I have no problem discussing it with people interested in helping out with it and working to get it going again.

<3

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 12:42 AM, Wads said:

So any updates?

I'm speaking to my cleaners today about going forward with cleaning. This will be the case for both the FE4 and FE5 manga, but for each, we only have a single chapter left that's translated. That means we can do one release for both until we have a translator again. Unfortunately I haven't really known where to start looking for one, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'll look around accordingly.

In the future I'll probably continue editing older chapters for better quality, but that's a bridge to cross when I come back to it. Once the translated chapters are released, I'll make do in the time being with cleaned page/panel previews if we don't have a translator by then. Pages have been cleaned since last summer, but they're a little out of order because different people have been working on different chapters.

All in all, it's slow, but it's progress.

2 hours ago, Jugdral Defender said:

I'm speaking to my cleaners today about going forward with cleaning. This will be the case for both the FE4 and FE5 manga, but for each, we only have a single chapter left that's translated. That means we can do one release for both until we have a translator again. Unfortunately I haven't really known where to start looking for one, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'll look around accordingly.

In the future I'll probably continue editing older chapters for better quality, but that's a bridge to cross when I come back to it. Once the translated chapters are released, I'll make do in the time being with cleaned page/panel previews if we don't have a translator by then. Pages have been cleaned since last summer, but they're a little out of order because different people have been working on different chapters.

All in all, it's slow, but it's 

By all means take your time 

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, June 08, 2019 at 6:21 AM, MLGdoritopope said:

So chapter 67 onwards does exist, just not translated?

I think the whole manga exists, just not fully translated.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 12:21 AM, MLGdoritopope said:

So chapter 67 onwards does exist, just not translated?

Yes, the story goes beyond that. We just haven't gotten farther in the translation process than what you see here. I've been in contact recently with a potential translator but the person in question has some irl stuff to take care of first. If they can accept this project with us, hopefully we can get back on track.

Hm? An update? Ye. An update.

I've passed the next section of chapters off to a translator not too long ago. We currently only have the last chapter of volume eleven translated, but the pages aren't cleaned yet.

As far as cleaning goes, it's a little bit of a mess on my end because long story short, my desktop started crapping out around August and I haven't been able to get into it for a few months (and I'm not talking easy-solution-virus-removal-somehow, I'm talking something in the hardware is hella crapping out and it is an old computer). Unfortunately it seems my last backup of the chapters goes back to the first chapter of volume eleven as far as finished chapters/cleaned pages. This also means the pages I had cleaned and ready for typesetting are still on my desktop, which means I have no access to them. Either I'm gong to have to reclean them or I'm going to have wait until I can get into my hard drive and get those pages, because chances are I'm going to want to start cleaning before I get a new desktop (because tbh at this point in time I have no idea when that will be). We were also going to work on chapters 36 and 37 to have a full version of volume six, and I had all my pages of those chapters cleaned and ready as well, but I'd have to recheck if those got backed up. I'm pretty sure my fonts are backed up though.

Part of why I haven't cleaned any pages since losing accessibility to the desktop is the fact that I've never liked working on cleaning (or even typesetting tbh) on the laptop. I do have a mouse connected to it now though which helps a lot, so worst case scenario with no other options, I'll try to clean on the laptop. The other problem is that I'm hoping my color levels won't make things look too different on another monitor. Unfortunately that's something that bothers me. A lot.

You'd think life was specifically getting in my way so that I couldn't work on this thing. All I can say is that yes, there's been minor progress. Well, maybe a lot? Having a translator is kind of a big step forward to working on this again, but also, losing access to my desktop is a big step backward. Thankfully I'm currently in a bit of a Fire Emblem mindset so that might help, and I have spilled my guts over Alvis again recently so that also helps. Alvis always helps.

Does this mean the manga is currently back on? Well, not quite yet. We've been taking some serious baby steps these past few months. Will it be? Boy do I hope so. The past year has been terrible in terms of wanting to and/or trying to and falling short. Hopefully that won't be the case this year.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, omegaxis1 said:

An issue. I can't download it. Mega says that the file isn't there.

It wasn't a chapter update. The update was what I posted. It was just an information update about what's going on since we've had some progress even if it's been slow going. I'm just trying to avoid going radio silent so nobody thinks I've just disappeared and that the project is dead or something.