Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

On 4/12/2017 at 6:13 AM, Saga89 said:

Hi there. I've discovered this project a couple of days ago, grinded through it and loved it. Keep up the good work!

If I may point a really minor flaw, it's the writing. When the main characters speak, they sound unnatural. For example, you can cut most regarding justice and peace since their "heroic nature" is supposed to let their action speak for themselves. Another perk of reducing the volume of dialogues is that you minimize how the characters sound alike, since they express in a way too similar to one another. I repeat this is just me being overpedantic, I've really enjoyed your work.

I'll leave two quotes I've found really useful both to flesh out characters and in writing in general:

"Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do" - Mark Twain

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do" - Thomas Jefferson

Just by applying these or going for the opposite you have created two different kind of characters. Also, short remarks have a weight no ponderous phrase will ever have.

Act 1 writing is already undergoing revision, but I don't promise anything.

17 hours ago, CrazyMage said:

I am here to say fun hack a bit easy for my tastes but the after chapter 8 i think tihngs started to get alot more fun. Looking forward to more and damn you for the ending you took my best unit from me.I want to say that the rng was strange? to say the least with level ups

Yeah the RNG will do whatever it wants, Sometimes you get good units and other times the same units end up trash.

if you can reccomened me program where i can get better pics or something pls do

Gyazo or ShareX

i better get a fast promotion and does she have a weapon i can give her like senacas sword in 1-f so i can solo later chapters with her?

You're probably not going to be able to solo later chapters with her. And Seneca's sword is just the sword of Fortuitan rulers so...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing through the game right now, and I'm really enjoying it. Just finished the Sebastian chapter, and I noticed a couple of weird things with that. First, there's a forest tile on the northernmost row of the map toward the left side next to a cliff. On the cliff there seems to be a Ballista, but not only is it inaccessible (due to being on a cliff), sometimes the sprite seems to glitch and it just shows up as a mess of color. You can actually see it in Mangs' playthrough in the very top left here, though I don't think he noticed.

Speaking of his playthrough, I'm also curious about something else. Did leaving Marcius alive change any of the other enemies on the map? I am playing the same patch (1.6.1), but instead of a hero and a warrior near the boss, I got a great knight and a sniper.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

6 minutes ago, Sharur said:

Playing through the game right now, and I'm really enjoying it. Just finished the Sebastian chapter, and I noticed a couple of weird things with that. First, there's a forest tile on the northernmost row of the map toward the left side next to a cliff. On the cliff there seems to be a Ballista, but not only is it inaccessible (due to being on a cliff), sometimes the sprite seems to glitch and it just shows up as a mess of color. You can actually see it in Mangs' playthrough in the very top left here, though I don't think he noticed.

Speaking of his playthrough, I'm also curious about something else. Did leaving Marcius alive change any of the other enemies on the map? I am playing the same patch (1.6.1), but instead of a hero and a warrior near the boss, I got a great knight and a sniper.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

There's no ballista in 1-11 in the next version, so problem solved there.

I think those two are the only ones that change if Marcius is still alive.

I just finished the game all the way through 1-F, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot! Keep up the good work. Have to say, Charles MVP of the game for me, with Owen being in close second. Sawyer ended up being fairly disappointing for me as a unit. Maybe I just got unlucky, but for me he ended off on level 15 with only 8 Magic (as opposed to Owen who hit 19 Magic at level 16), and that's after an energy ring! At least he's so fast that he doubles almost everything, but Owen was already doubling archers and pegasus knights and cutting a swath through them like Charles through the 1-F cavalry units. Never did see a reason to use Elijah once the two allied forces met up. Charles just did his job better. 

One thing gameplay-wise I found a little disconcerting is how late you were able to get a new dark tome for Owen. By the time I could buy a new one for him Belial was already on its last legs, whereas Sawyer's Nimbus lasted me the entire playthrough. 

Edited by WhiteyMcFly

20 hours ago, WhiteyMcFly said:

One thing gameplay-wise I found a little disconcerting is how late you were able to get a new dark tome for Owen. By the time I could buy a new one for him Belial was already on its last legs, whereas Sawyer's Nimbus lasted me the entire playthrough. 

in 1-1 if both the green knights at the bottom live you get a dark tome for owen and an anima tome for Sawyer, I'm pretty sure they don't go down easily so in theory it should be easy to get that.

Playing through this now - great hack, lots of fun. Always struggle to decide who to bring to each chapter and which units to invest in. The game does a good job of checking you with all of the effective weaponry. Looking forward to future updates, thanks again for all the hard work.

Some call outs - Lily is the not only the best artwork in the game, but some of the nicest custom spriting I've seen. She's a fun character to use as well. Darius is another character I've found exceptionally useful.

Edited by Lowen

1 hour ago, Lowen said:

Playing through this now - great hack, lots of fun. Always struggle to decide who to bring to each chapter and which units to invest in. The game does a good job of checking you with all of the effective weaponry. Looking forward to future updates, thanks again for all the hard work.

Some call outs - Lily is the not only the best artwork in the game, but some of the nicest custom spriting I've seen. She's a fun character to use as well. Darius is another character I've found exceptionally useful.

Thanks!

If anyone really feels like putting the time into it, they can potentially get all of the characters up to level 20 since, once the hack ends and you pick a route, the hack resets you back to Chapter 1-5. This also leads to potentially infinite Talismans, Secret Books, and Speedwings among the rest of the special weapons. 

Then again, that would be cheating for when the rest of the game becomes available, so I won't be doing that. 

5 hours ago, WhiteyMcFly said:

If anyone really feels like putting the time into it, they can potentially get all of the characters up to level 20 since, once the hack ends and you pick a route, the hack resets you back to Chapter 1-5. This also leads to potentially infinite Talismans, Secret Books, and Speedwings among the rest of the special weapons. 

Then again, that would be cheating for when the rest of the game becomes available, so I won't be doing that. 

5 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

Afaik they redid soa with buildfiles so the old saves won't be compatible when a new version release

^That

None of your old saves are going to work with the next version, you're going to have to start over anyway.

2 hours ago, CrazyMage said:

My dream of a monster bell just died. But i guess she wasnt intended to be one. Also are the skills going to be just random boosts or will there be skills like luna astra ecc.?

There will be all kinds of skills for classes as well as personal skills.

11 hours ago, Hawkatana said:

Just a question, which out of Owen's or Sawyer's routes are easier & harder than the other?

They're going to be about the same difficulty.

Personal skills for all the Act 1 playable units are done, still need to finish up a couple boss personals.

Then maybe work on act 2 can progress more.

35 minutes ago, darknight said:

Hi, is it possible to release the first route?since u almost done? thankssssssssssssssss

Are you referring to the routes in act 2? Because neither of them are even close to almost done.

And even when they are done, they're both coming out at the same time, one route won't be release before the other.

Right now we're planning on fixing some dialogue stuff to make it better, rebalancing the early game around skills, and putting a new release out soonish. Note that this release will only be Act 1 still, but it will have skills and you will have to restart your saves. Old saves will not work with the next release.

3 hours ago, Galactaray said:

Will these new saves work when Sawyers and Owens routes get released?

I kinda doubt it.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:24 PM, Galactaray said:

Will these new saves work when Sawyers and Owens routes get released?

In theory yes, unless we do any massive changes, saves with the new version should work with future ones.

Edited by InvdrZim13

ok noted:) i am sick of playing any other roms , cause i find it boring, i been playing both chinese and english rom hacks of fire emblems, but this one it looks nice as it has 2 routes to choose, i think the idea of this is value added to the popularity of this rom hack, i am really looking forward to it, and lastly, thank you and your team for putting your time and effort to this rom for our fans !!!!!

Alrighty. I just ended playing current version of this hack. Now, where should I start?

Oh, yeah. I must say, this is a good piece of work! I enjoyed this adventure, but I can see some problems.

Let's start with positives. So:

-Most characters. Who doesn't love Seneca! He's definitely the best written character in story. So far, at least. Very close is loveable Owen and Sawyer duo, which brings a good smile, especially when their retainers comes into picture. We also can't forget about archer Stark, sly Sebastian or Soldier Axel with his... unique way to attract enemies.

-Map design is great. Well, there are some boring designs, but overall they are top notch.

-Just fantastic unit balance. Any unit have its unique purpose. There is no useless unit, which is good. My only complain is Meteor tome- it's way too good in the hands of enemy. Sure, it does have only 10 uses, but that's enough to make experience less fun.

-I'm in love with music. So relaxing and at same time it wants you to party hard. But the best one is definitely (again) Seneca one. It's just perfect.

-I did notice 2, maybe 3 weird portraits. Other than that, excellent work!

With that done, time for some problems.

-To be honest, the worst aspect is (don't lynch me pls) Belle. Man, she's so annoying. She's almost always like "I'm gonna reclaim my country just because I'm totally right and you are wrong", which is just silly. Just like a naive little girl, with only one difference beign she can't lose. I know she showed some doubt during a story, but that's where comes Oona. "That's not true, you are the most right", "They are wrong, because your path is right" and other stuff like that. She's so stiff. If that's intended, then bleh. At least try to show some character, lady!

-Whole story. Sometimes, it is confusing or even does not make any sense. Maybe I just missed something, but from what I can understand, this story is about a war between two kingdoms, where queen of one side of conflict does not have any intention to fight, despise her closest advisor advices. So by help of his close friend and allied lords, he just murders her and calls himself a king. Meanwhile, he starts a wildhunt, in which he wants to kill princess, but all he did was a pointless massacre of his army and ultimately lost the crown. So... yeah. Instead of preparing for inevitable war, he sends a lot of forces just for her head? I can understand why, but at the same time, didn't neightbourhood kingdom just knock for some conquest?

-There is no consistent in story. For examples, villagers. One time, they are wholeheartedly with Seneca, but another time anybody despise him, only to love him again. Whaa?

-What's up with Federica? She helped Belle and her party very much, so why Owen and Sawyer suddenly treat her almost like an enemy? Sure, she was a little too nice, but comeone! From the story perspective, she literally did nothing wrong, so that came out of nowhere.

So, yeah. Keep it up, this hack have a great potential! I'm awaiting for another patch with high expectations. :)