Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Spectacular. You amaze me, Mangs. 

In all seriousness, I've been looking for something new to play. Perhaps this will tide me over.

Edited by Xanaxian

Patch notes because Zim a shit and didn't post them

Let’s try that release again...

Staff of Ages Patch 1.7.1 Notes (Now with 75% fewer bugs!):

Essential Bug Fixes from 1.7.0 and prior

Fixed a major issue which caused some text to be unreadable or take up too much space on the screen (1.7.0 bug)

Fixed an issue in 1-4 prechapter which replayed a previous scene instead of the actual scene (1.7.0 bug)

Fixed an issue which resulted in Owen taking effective damage from the Heavy Spear (1.7.0 bug)

Fixed an issue which would cause 1-9 to softlock when a certain enemy unit was loaded (1.7.0 bug)

Fixed an issue in which Owen and Regina’s battle conversation would not occur (1.6.1 bug)

Balance Changes

Reduced enemy density in 1-9

Adjusted Regina’s stats to make her less threatening, as before she could one round a lot of your team.

Minor Changes

Several typos and/or awkward sentences have been corrected

1-7 has been re-edited to the standards of the early-chapter edits.

Fixed a display issue with the Movement stat for units with defend AI

Fixed an issue where some enemies would have the wrong unit name (eg. bandits showing up as Fortuita or vice-versa)

Targeted Fixes for next release

The unreadable text bug has had some aftereffects in Sebastian's dialogue—this will be corrected for the next release

Generic Sun Knights are incredibly powerful, especially in 1-10—will see a stat nerf

Currently, Stark can be killed on the first enemy phase in his join chapter (1-6)—either he or the enemies will be moved in order to correct this issue

Aryndese archers in 1-3 are incorrectly labeled as 'Fortuita'

The Brave Axe will receive a +2 might buff

Cutscene battles sometimes have incorrect health/stat values in comparison to their in-game counterparts

The Steel Axe may become a D-rank weapon if it makes Charles' 'Simple Roots' personal skill too powerful

1-F's map palette did not display correctly in this release—will be correctly attributed to the map in the next release

Routine balance fixes in regards to skills and maps

Routine text fixes

Also, we’d like you to take this survey after you get to the end of 1-F in this patch. Your feedback will help guide our hands as we continue to balance units and maps—especially now that skills have entered our design philosophy. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WQ-CUgCuXSZz9RnbcYTKNmtec5H8r8laJdVh1kbS06c/viewform?edit_requested=true

Edited by Galastan
formatting

18 hours ago, Trinidaddi said:

Just got to the final map love what you guys did with Sofia's eyes. Also you guys got rid of the landsknecht and darknight i loved them made that stage even better.

Wut no I didn't, they're still in the map.

Hello there everyone ! (God, I tried to log in with my older account but it didn't work...)

This is the very first Fire Emblem hack I'm ever playing, and well, so far so good ! Honestly I find it quite awesome, for a fan project it's well written and you get quickly into the lore and stuff.

Elijah is my MAN, like seriously : unknown.png

I just wanted to give some feedback since I noticed something, is it normal for Thunder tomes to have the Devil effect ? I noticed that a mage on Chapter 1-11 attacked Sawyer, that mage got a Thunder tome equiped, and at the moment of striking, he got damage on him instead of dealing damage to Sawyer.

Maybe you all already knew about this but I'm giving a warning just in case. o/

A bunch of thanks for making this hack so awesome !

Edited by Seoush

So I just finished playing this wonderful hack about an hour ago three hours ago, and I have plenty to say about mostly the story beats and how I felt they strung together. I guess I'll go in chronological order, so here we go.

I really like the addition of a political map to situate the countries on the continent of Velhari so we get a general idea of where everything stands. Clearly the map is in its infancy as it is... rough in its current state, and there aren't any actual country names or borders, but I know that will eventually get resolved somewhere down the line.

So now we'll jump ahead to when Seneca and Sebastian start scheming to overthrow Kalvesta. Previously, Seneca immediately tells Sebastian that he will remove her from power and ascend the throne, and he came across as kind of a power hungry asshole. Now, it was Sebastian who was the one who had to convince him that a coup would be the best for their country, and Seneca eases into the idea after some prodding. I prefer that in this iteration of the game, Seneca comes across as a reluctant antagonist who first needed to be coaxed by Sebastian into taking action, and I feel this makes him seem more like a misguided patriot than an egomaniac that thirsts for power like a typical Fire Emblem villain.

Skipping ahead a little, I find the scene where Kalvesta is dethroned to be leagues better than the previous version. I absolutely love that when Seneca is meeting with Dahl and Matteo, they explicitly state that if Kalvesta will head their council, they will renege from their plan to overthrow her. This meeting made me love Matteo as a character, as before he was kinda just there helping Seneca take the throne. In this version, he seems like an intelligent military commander, which is what he is, acting more as a voice of reason who compliments the changes to Seneca that make him more noble in his dealings with Kalvesta. He has a more defined personality now, and I just can't resist loving intelligent and reasonable "villains" in games.

So they go to her chambers and are stopped by Nero and Sofia, and I like the small steps taken to make Seneca less edgy and more of a cunning personality. I think removing his little inner monologue complete with "I don't have time for this..." was a sound decision. Also having the guard tell both of them that as Seneca is an adviser to the queen and thus must be let inside instead of just saying "I have more authority than you!" is a nice touch. Seneca's interaction with Kalvesta was my favorite part of the entire game, because there's more dialogue present to not make it feel like Seneca just waltzed in, cried like a little bitch to Kalvesta, got told off, then just killed her. Instead, Seneca implores Kalvesta to heed the advice of Dahl and Matteo first before anything drastic is said. But best of all, Seneca now has a reason to lose his cool. In his mind, he has done everything in his power to make the Queen see his arguments and realize the severity of the situation they are in with Arynden conducting a war in all but name. To him, she is directly responsible for the deaths of her own people out of inaction on her part, and in return he is quite impressively told to know his place by Kalvesta, who insists that everyone around her is wrong and that she knows best. Now the player can empathize with Seneca as he gives his Accountability Speech, like "Yeah, she should be accountable to her people that are dying because of her!" He seems more legitimized in going berserk when he does, the player feels his frustrations. Then he kills her, and whereas before he was just like "Oh, she's dead. Damn. Oh well, on with the plan!" now Seneca is freaking out about what he just did, and it makes him seem like less of a bastard. This scene sent chills down my spine when I saw it the first time, it was that damn good. Then he comes up with a plan to spread rumors that Kalvesta is ill so that they can cover up her death and prevent anyone from knowing about it. So in my mind, I thought that would mean that Belle wouldn't learn about her mother's death until later, and that she would continue thinking that her mother was alive. But then...

Then Kelan shows up and says "Hey, Seneca killed your mom, she's totally dead." And this didn't make sense to me. Seneca was trying to cover up Kalvesta's murder so that nobody, ESPECIALLY Belle, would know about it. But then, a minute later, and Belle knows that she died? What? I thought the plan would be to have Belle fight thinking that her mother was alive and that she needed to rescue her or something like that, only to discover that, surprise, she's been dead for weeks, and this revelation would come later in, like, the endgame or something. Same thing with Owen and Sawyer, when they meet "Hughes" he told them that the Queen was just sick, bedridden. Then, when it's revealed that he's really Mustang, he up and tells them that the Queen is dead! Why would he tell them that? More importantly, how would he know that? Seneca personally sent Mustang to deal with Owen and Sawyer, and he didn't want anybody to know that he killed Kalvesta, so why did he tell Mustang? At this stage in the story, it seems inconsistent that Seneca both wants to keep Kalvesta's death a secret, yet goes around telling everyone that she's dead by his hand. I'd like to know, is this something that's going to change in future iterations of the story? Or will Kalvesta's death be a secret to everybody like it is now?

That was the one big issue I had with the story, that inconsistency, although there are a few more things to touch upon. Owen and Regina's conversation is still bugged, he didn't converse with her. I also remember him having a conversation with Marcius that wasn't in the build, so I'm guessing another bug. I like how Owen and Sawyer are barons now, I hardly knew anything about the type of "Lord" they were supposed to be, so that bit of clarity was nice. I really like the change to the ending scene with Federica. Previously, Federica suddenly turned manipulative and exploited the law about succession to gain control of Fortuita, Sawyer was a whiny and temperamental baby all of a sudden, and Owen was kind of an asshole outright telling her "We are not friends, merely allies" in that threatening tone. Now, her claim to the throne seems more legitimate, seeing as how she has the letter and all, Sawyer still walks out on her, but without totally losing his shit and lashing out on Federica, and Owen seems more cool-headed too, giving her the benefit of the doubt and not badmouthing her. Federica seemed just a bit less manipulative, until the final scene where she's talking to herself and, uh oh, she's scheming something! What could it be? Play through and find out! I really like that. On a related note, monarchs don't "retire," they abdicate. Maybe replace the instances of "retire" with "abdicate?" I think it sounds a bit more era appropriate. Also, the guy with the Dragon Axe in 1-F, for some reason, did effective damage against not just Kate, but also Sawyer! You trying to tell me something? Sawyer half dragon confirmed! In the case that it is a bug, I hope your can fix that, because my Sawyer was blindsided by that and totally died. And as an aside, I love that level twenty now gives you a perfect level up, just a nice gesture for people who managed to get to the level cap. And if your unit's been getting nothing but shitty grows, seeing that would definitely put a smile on your face.

So yeah, this was my ramblings about Staff of Ages as it stands, I hope some of this babbling can be of some use and if not, oh well! I still had a blast playing this game and am looking forward to what the future has in store for it.

7 hours ago, Forsaken Mango said:

Then Kelan shows up and says "Hey, Seneca killed your mom, she's totally dead." And this didn't make sense to me.

Seneca sends Dahl out after he kills her, don't remember what he was told to do but Dahl goes and spills the beans to Kelan, next version will show Dahl leaving the room after Seneca tells him to go.

I love that level twenty now gives you a perfect level up, just a nice gesture for people who managed to get to the level cap. And if your unit's been getting nothing but shitty grows, seeing that would definitely put a smile on your face.

This is not a feature I'm aware of, are you sure it's not just luck?

Same thing with Owen and Sawyer, when they meet "Hughes" he told them that the Queen was just sick, bedridden. Then, when it's revealed that he's really Mustang, he up and tells them that the Queen is dead! Why would he tell them that? More importantly, how would he know that?

Seneca comes and lets Mustang out of prison

Mustang: Why are you letting me out?

Seneca: Oh, uh, queen's ill and I'm in charge now, I need you to go get Belle for me since she ran away

Mustang: Why is she on the run?

Seneca: Oh, uh, uh, uh, uh, shit maybe I should tell him since his task force is going after Belle and it puts me in a REALLY bad light if I say "lel idk dood xd"

Seneca: Yeah, look, I did a power grab and I sorta killed the queen and Belle is probably going to raise a rebellion and I need that to not happen. I'm trusting you because we came to an agreement back when you did a mutiny, we both did a bad now let's do a good

Mustang: Sounds good accidentally is a cocky motherfucker and lets the information slip and fucking dies too for good measure

Because Mustang needs to know or there's no Owen/Sawyer plot, that's why.

Owen and Regina's conversation is still bugged, he didn't converse with her.

I've seen it work in 1.7.2 so I have no idea what's causing it to not fire off.

Also, the guy with the Dragon Axe in 1-F, for some reason, did effective damage against not just Kate, but also Sawyer!

God dammit

I really like the addition of a political map to situate the countries on the continent of Velhari so we get a general idea of where everything stands. Clearly the map is in its infancy as it is... rough in its current state, and there aren't any actual country names or borders, but I know that will eventually get resolved somewhere down the line.

It's not really a political map though, it's just a map of the continent

kLDmmdJ.png

Edited by InvdrZim13

10 hours ago, Forsaken Mango said:

So yeah, this was my ramblings about Staff of Ages as it stands, I hope some of this babbling can be of some use and if not, oh well! I still had a blast playing this game and am looking forward to what the future has in store for it.

Gonna just quote this part as a catch-all. I'm a writer for Staff of Ages, so I'll take the time to address all of your concerns here.

1. The situation with Kelan is because, in the haste of the situation, Seneca sent out Dahl before Matteo pushes Seneca to try and cover up the incident. The cutscene didn't show Dahl leaving, but it will in the next version. But Dahl basically went to Kelan and, still shocked from the situation, spilled the beans to Kelan.

2. The situation with Mustang is similar, but different. Seneca went to go let him out because the majority of his forces were going to Arynden. He needed the extra help to go get Belle before she spiraled the rebellion situation out of his control. However, Mustang would have needed to know, because getting sent to capture Belle, who has run away while her mother is allegedly ill, is quite suspect. Mustang shares Seneca's ideology, so him trying to hide that bit of information might have made him into a whistleblower. Being honest with it, however, garners Mustang's sympathy and he commits to helping Seneca. In a more simple sense, Owen and Sawyer need to know this information, otherwise Owen would be supportive of Seneca. And, as 1-F reveals, a disagreement between the two barons causes them to split apart. So Seneca "messing up" in this way is needed. I might change the dialogue so that Seneca only tells trusted individuals (e.g. those he sends after Belle) instead of keeping the information between the four of them (Dahl, Seneca, Matteo, and that guard captain NPC) so this point is better illustrated. But the failing would still exist, because by happenstance one of the trusted individuals gets cocky (e.g. Mustang) and lets the info slip. It would also serve as a better basis for rumors to get leaked about the queen's death outside the castle.

3. Abdicate and retire are used interchangeably throughout the story, but I do agree that retire is used more often and I'd want to reign that in a bit. It'll be fixed in the next round of typo fixes.

I'm glad you enjoyed most of the changes! That's definitely what I was going for in these edits, and we're excited to bring you half of Act 2 in October :)

5 hours ago, InvdrZim13 said:

This is not a feature I'm aware of, are you sure it's not just luck?

I'm fairly certain it's a feature. Owen, Sawyer, Belle, Elijah and Axel all got perfect level ups at Level 20. Either that or I'm the luckiest SOB to ever play Fire Emblem.

2 hours ago, Galastan said:

1. The situation with Kelan is because, in the haste of the situation, Seneca sent out Dahl before Matteo pushes Seneca to try and cover up the incident. The cutscene didn't show Dahl leaving, but it will in the next version. But Dahl basically went to Kelan and, still shocked from the situation, spilled the beans to Kelan.

Now that you mention it, I do remember Dahl being told to leave before Seneca tries to cover up the murder. I think adding the scene as you have planned would ameliorate all the issues I had quite nicely.

2 hours ago, Galastan said:

2. The situation with Mustang is similar, but different. Seneca went to go let him out because the majority of his forces were going to Arynden. He needed the extra help to go get Belle before she spiraled the rebellion situation out of his control. However, Mustang would have needed to know, because getting sent to capture Belle, who has run away while her mother is allegedly ill, is quite suspect. Mustang shares Seneca's ideology, so him trying to hide that bit of information might have made him into a whistleblower. Being honest with it, however, garners Mustang's sympathy and he commits to helping Seneca. In a more simple sense, Owen and Sawyer need to know this information, otherwise Owen would be supportive of Seneca. And, as 1-F reveals, a disagreement between the two barons causes them to split apart. So Seneca "messing up" in this way is needed. I might change the dialogue so that Seneca only tells trusted individuals (e.g. those he sends after Belle) instead of keeping the information between the four of them (Dahl, Seneca, Matteo, and that guard captain NPC) so this point is better illustrated. But the failing would still exist, because by happenstance one of the trusted individuals gets cocky (e.g. Mustang) and lets the info slip. It would also serve as a better basis for rumors to get leaked about the queen's death outside the castle.

Yeah, I agree that an inciting action is needed for Owen and Sawyer to start tracking down Belle or else there wouldn't be a game to play, which would make me pretty sad. I guess the issue for me was what seemed to be a bit of a disconnect between what Seneca was saying and the events that transpired, but the explanation yourself and Zim provided does clear my mind a great deal. I don't really have much more to say, so thanks very much for addressing the concerns I had.

So now that I've cleared 1-F after like ten attempts I can provide my basic feedback on the new and improved Staff of Ages:

• It's definitely new and improved, in no small part thanks to the skill system. The personal skills are especially interesting, strengthening characters' roles or giving them an additional niche.
  • Fuck Tantivy though, it made the 1-F Wyvern squad a huge pain to deal with.
  • The removal of a few siege tomes definitely makes those chapters less of a hassle, although that doesn't necessarily make them easier. (I'm looking at you, 1-9 east side reinforcements.)
  • Do you think you could remove the x1.5 price modifier for the base armory? All the shopping opportunities come in quick succession (both in 1-8, magic in 1-9 and weapons in 1-10), and some of the gold doesn't come until after those opportunities have passed. It also looks like you're intended to pick up basic weaponry in the preparations screen after 1-8.

Now for the final team:

Spoiler

Staff%20of%20Ages_04.pngStaff%20of%20Ages_05.png

Owen and Sawyer were fairly vanilla this time around although it looks like Sawyer's traded some defense for power. He was getting OHKO'd by Seneca with his personal activated. Owen required his personal tome to double in many cases but he hits hard enough to make it not matter and is fast enough to not get doubled. I really like their level 10 skills, they give the two Lords effective supporting roles that I made use of multiple times, especially in 1-F (Dahl, the second segment of the castle, etc.).

Staff%20of%20Ages_03.png

Belle was pretty strong but slowed down in the end and often lacked Defense. She's an easy 2HKO for many combinations of enemies, especially when 1-F rolled around. Then again she's a flying Lord with Rapier access so I can't criticize her too harshly, and Charm is an amazing utility once she gets it.

Staff%20of%20Ages_06.pngStaff%20of%20Ages_19.png

To your left: THE MAN in all his glory. Elijah was by far the strongest unit on my team, he practically carried the earlygame and beyond with his mad Speed procs. He's going to be even more of a monster once I promote him.

To your right: the retainer who got left in the dust. I didn't find many opportunities to give Eagle EXP and the few levels he did gain were awful, so to the bench he went. I'm totally going Owen's route with this file.

Staff%20of%20Ages_13.pngStaff%20of%20Ages_08.png

Might as well lump Charles in with Oona as one of Belle's retainers. Neither was anything spectacular but they both did their jobs just fine. Both started to turn it around during 1-F but we'll see. That personal skill of his makes him very strong early on and he can sit in front of enemies and take hits that the girls can't.

Staff%20of%20Ages_18.png

Decent healer but was rotated with Oona after 1-8 and ultimately benched in 1-F in favor of Kate. She did her job keeping Owen and Sawyer's party alive though and 1-2 range healing is a godsend at times.

photo Staff of Ages_07.pngStaff%20of%20Ages_09.png

Stark and Grace both performed admirably, although I gave the former a Dracoshield and the latter an Energy Ring to patch up their weak points. Stark didn't double much but his chip almost always meant two-thirds or more of the target's HP, unless the foe was promoted. His Defense ended up fairly solid with his final levels, and his Resistance was phenomenal. Grace meanwhile had great doubling ability the whole time, but her Strength petered out towards the end and she's made of glass. Like Stark, she gained a few points in 1-F, go figure...

Staff%20of%20Ages_11.png

Lily's personal is great, it essentially makes her Palla minus the "blatantly overpowered" part. She has to be kept safe on enemy phase but can dart out and ORKO someone on player phase.

photo Staff of Ages_10.pngStaff%20of%20Ages_16.png

Axel decided he wanted attention and gained phenomenal levels at the start, turning into the well-rounded powerhouse you see here. He stopped one-rounding towards the end but remains a solid member of the crew. who can fight on his own or with the team. Darius on the other hand was neglected and ended up seeing very little action, the poor guy. At least he can safely chip the Wyvern Lord in 1-F at base.

Staff%20of%20Ages_14.png

Thief/10, he didn't see much combat but where he did his personal often made a difference. Used him mainly for acquiring funds and healing items. I was constantly annoyed at his 5 Mov being skill-bound and relieved after he hit level 10.

Staff%20of%20Ages_12.png

Late Act 1 Jeigan/10. Live to Serve on a decent frontliner is incredible, although she often spent more time healing than on the front lines because low EXP gain. Where she did fight, Fire usually left enemies weak enough for others to pick off.

I also like the story rewrites so far regarding her role and motives behind the end of Act 1's plot.

Staff%20of%20Ages_15.png

I always feel like Harold is unremarkable filler but to his credit he's an effective filler. The Monk skill being Duelist's Blow made his chip relatively safe and only needing one item slot to function made him a great pack mule! I used him as Federica's staff cubby to deter the Silence Sage in 1-F.

Staff%20of%20Ages_17.png

Kate feels a little underpowered but I guess it's hard to compete with a party that already has competent fliers and axe users. Her skill combo looks interesting though, and I stuck Sawyer next to her on the first turn of 1-F to punch out one of the Fighter/Cav flanks.

I'm not showing Nero and Sofia because they both join too late to contribute. By the time I busted them out Belle and Owen were breaking into the throne room. I might try Nero out as a replacement for Darius in Act 2.

I'd replay this but unfortunately I'm stuck at a save state at the route split since I really don't want to go through 1-F again when I can progress so... good luck with development? Hopefully the FEE3 release goes smoother.

20 minutes ago, Exodiac47 said:

I'm loving this hack so far, but I ran into a problem. How come Sawyer is affected by Wyrmslayers?

20170720_202241.png

That's a bug. It'll be fixed in future versions.

I had downloaded this hack sometime ago, finally got around to playing! It's refreshing to see some unique skills after having played some other hacks with more generic ones, and overall it was a nice experience!

I do feel chapter 6 is a little unfair, but otherwise had lots of fun. Thanks for sharing!

Boss weapons not degrading are intentional, right?

Edited by Sythion

Finished act 1 now (when I had posted before was just part-way through) and have some feedback and questions. This  playthrough was version 1.7.1, but having looked at changelog for the latest patch it seems none of this was addressed. Sorry if these have been raised before:

*Sawyer's Counterspell doesn't activate if he's attacked by long range magic such as Bolting.
*Kate's (And enemy's) Moonbow and Nero's Code of Honor don't seem to do anything, could they please be explained?
*Like in FE Fates does Hexing Rod only last until the chapter is over?
*I don't recall the chapters numbers, but there were several which had a boss that didn't move and was on healing tile. Some of these maps had shops, and forts for prolonged farming options.
*Although boss weapons don't break, is it intended for their staff to run out? This can be seen on at least one level where a boss comes with a Psychic staff.

Edited by Sythion

7 hours ago, Sythion said:

Finished act 1 now (when I had posted before was just part-way through) and have some feedback and questions. This  playthrough was version 1.7.1, but having looked at changelog for the latest patch it seems none of this was addressed. Sorry if these have been raised before:

*Sawyer's Counterspell doesn't activate if he's attacked by long range magic such as Bolting.
*Kate's (And enemy's) Moonbow and Nero's Code of Honor don't seem to do anything, could they please be explained?
*Like in FE Fates does Hexing Rod only last until the chapter is over?
*I don't recall the chapters numbers, but there were several which had a boss that didn't move and was on healing tile. Some of these maps had shops, and forts for prolonged farming options.
*Although boss weapons don't break, is it intended for their staff to run out? This can be seen on at least one level where a boss comes with a Psychic staff.

• I'll take a look at that
  • Moonbow isn't actually supposed to be in the game, I believe it's removed in 1.7.2, so it's not supposed to do anything. Code of honor affects Seneca and enemies who could be considered pirates or brigands, so it's not doing a whole lot in the one chapter he's usable for.
  • That's the idea
  • Game's not designed with farming anything in mind, if people want to waste all that time trying to grind on a boss that can still hurt them they can go right ahead.
  • yes