Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

Hi, I tried to play this hack on vba and I got the same issue with the flashing black screen. I was really hyped to play this one, so I would like to know if the bug was solved or is being solved. Thanks in advance, and congratz on the hack.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this has been reported already, but as you can see the dragon axe is effective against Sawyer. I can't remember if he was weak to the wyrmslayer as I didn't fight the ch10 hero with him.. But my guess is that he most likely is. So was this intended ? Is sawyer a freaking reptilian ? Anyway, I'm just done with the hack, it's Awesomesauce, with some rainbow visual glitches here and there. Can't wait for 2.0 !

Oh and also, personal feedback here : I find that the very first chapter and the third one are wayyy too tricky and luck based, and actually really hard, compared to belle's chapters. I look forward for the hard mode to see how you will balance that. Cheers ~

Screenshot_20171211-170456.jpg

2 minutes ago, Azoar said:

I don't know if this has been reported already, but as you can see the dragon axe is effective against Sawyer. I can't remember if he was weak to the wyrmslayer as I didn't fight the ch10 hero with him.. But my guess is that he most likely is. So was this intended ? Is sawyer a freaking reptilian ? Anyway, I'm just done with the hack, it's Awesomesauce, with some rainbow visual glitches here and there. Can't wait for 2.0 !

Oh and also, personal feedback here : I find that the very first chapter and the third one are wayyy too tricky and luck based, and actually really hard, compared to belle's chapters. I look forward for the hard mode to see how you will balance that. Cheers ~

Screenshot_20171211-170456.jpg

That's a bug and it'll be corrected in the next version.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello !

After months of lurking here, i decided to give a review of your hack, because i think not enough people do it.

For start : i loved it. I played many hacks, and it's the best i've seen. The skills are neat, the FE8 interface is incredible, the music are catchy, the scenario is cool, the characters, the new classes... it's very, very, very awesome, and i would be sad to see this hack abandonned like too many good ones (rip Midnight Sun).

I'll try to be concise and clear, and, because no one like walls of text... i'll start with what i  didn't liked (story, characters, balance, etc) or my worries:

- I find the first big info dump a bit... heavy, but it's still precise and it's nice to have some worldbuilding. Maybe a bigger bubble could prevent the "wall of text" effect ?

- I find Seneca inept. I like the character, his reasonning, i understand his choice, but we never see his action (defending the country against the invader) paying off. It just look like a guy who killed a queen without wanting it (oops, i crited, sorry m'aam), then being innefective at the head of the country (even worse than the queen), then loosing the war against Belle, then being humiliated by the big bad guy. Can the poor guy catch a break ? Some mention of his action or politic having some sucess here and here would be cool. Even his right-hand man didn't do much, except creating an anti-flyer tome.

- I really don't like the twin characters having... well, the "linked personnality where we finish the sentence of the other". It was done SO MANY TIMES ! Is it even possible to have twin people being normal, and not creepy guys with a hive mind or completely polar-opposite personnality ? 

- I like the idea of most of the bosses being old acquaintance of the lords, but i'm a bit sad most of them come as being huge bastards, with very few normal ones. It would be nice to have "bad guys" on Belle's side ! 

- I find the Belle chapters a bit hard for her. She is the classic fast-and-frail pegasus knight, and a third of her opponents are archers, who can often riposte in melee. It was a hard time raising her, and a bit frustrating, especially when Owen and Saywer destroy everything in their path

- i LOVE the special buff for all the healers (+3 def/res/speed) but i'm a bit afraid they will lose of their effectiveness when the game will progress and everyone will become stronger.

- Same thing for Charles, who shine when using "bad" weapons. What he will do when everyone will run with silver weapon ? This plus his quite mediocre growth make me wonder how he will be able to stand for endgame. However, he is actually doing fine, killing everyone with handaxes and a 18 STR.

- Actually, it could apply to many skills, for example, Axel, who have fixed amount of bonuses depending of when alone or with someone. +15 hit/avoid now is glorious, but at the end ?

- The last chapter was pretty brutal ! I found the 3 waves at the beginning very hard to deal with, and i'm pretty sure someone with unlucky level up would be crushed hard by those guys ! I think too, that the waves coming behind were very stressfull. 

- I find the last character coming, Kate and Harold, a bit too weak. Their offensive stats are around the tenth, and, should they have unlucky level up, will be straight-up WORSE than their generic counterpart. Ouch

Now, the things i liked : 

-  The casting. Oh god, the casting. I love it. Saywer is absolutely incredible, i had real laugh when he started to be... well, himself. He felt very natural. His abusive relation with Eagle is hilarious. Charles, despite being the "ultimate normal guy" is far from boring, and very charming. Oonna-Belle relationship is very well done. The Darius-Axel-Marques trio is very cool, too. Seneca is a great villain. I really like everyone, and there isn't any waste of space.

- The "talk" conversation are very cool and make everyone on the limelight, stopping the sad fire emblem tradition of characters being invisible after their recruitment. The organisation of peoples as "groups" of 3/4 guys are very cool, and the "cross conversation" are very nice. I was legit happy for Charles when he suceed to impress the pegasi rider with was Bell told him about it before.

- Really guys, you are perfect on the casting. Bravo.

- For the audio, i loved it. The battle music, and even the others are very good (isn't there a one looking like a lot of a peaceful version of the official fire emblem theme ? i want it ! )

- On the gameplay note, i LOVE the skills. They are very imaginative and class related, and make each character particular and standing out. Everyone has his function, and this, plus the passive auras of the lord, make the elaboration of formations (darius-axel as a frontline, the lords between everyone, Kate as a lone-baiter...) is very cool. I don't think anyone is useless.

- Darius is owin-level good. A good armor knight is everything we needed. Same thing for Stark. Strong base, good growth, and very powerful longbow ? You made two weak classes in credible treats. Good job ! And i love the fact that Oona can attack. And the Jagen-Healer ! I was constantly impressed by your ability to innovate.

- The UI, with the skills, the growth, the life bars... is perfect. And the custom sprite are very good, except maybe Saywyer, who has strange proportions and is so fluid that he contrast with everyone. However, good job on belle. Her black pegasi is incredible.

- I loved the story. The medieval political game is fascinating, and i find Federica really well written. It's hard to know if she is a real bad guy who play nice, or a big red-herring. Most of the character didn't dropped the Idiot ball. I really want to know what will happen next.

- I may be wrong, but, instead of giving the player better stats for juggernauting, your... "mentality" is more about the good use and combination of special weapon and passive skill for winning, right ? because i loved it. And i liked to gain a fair amount of xp every time, unlike some hacks, or official games (Ephraim Route in Sacred Stones is infamous for it). I found the balancing and difficulty progression well done, stressfull, and hard, without being too much unfair, even if the last chapter made me curse some times.

- I found the game quite funny, mostly because of Saywyer. And, the drunk pirate who try to be recruited with the completely washed-up recruitment theme. Oh my god. Whoever thought of it, may god bless you with lot of childrens. You are a hero

For what i think should be added/removed/changed

- Giving a earlier magic shop for Owen and Saywer. Especially the first, who have to rely on his special book and only the one during a LONG time

- Changing the IA of the white haired pegasus girl (i momentarly forgot her name) in her join chapter because holy hell, she is SUICIDAL. 

- Stepping down a bit the "waves" of ennemies in the last chapter

- maybe boost the growth of Charles, as well as the bases of Kate/Harold ? I find actually the ennemies... quite strong. Maybe a bit too much ?

- most of my units finished the chapter around level 17-20. I hope promotion items are coming soon !

- Buffing Eagle ? Between Elijah (Chuck Norris incarnate) and the duo Owen/Sawyer, he is a bit underwhelming, i found.

Thanks for the hard work. I loved every second of the hack. I don't know if my return is useful in any way, but be sure you have one conquered fan !

Edited by ledha

Thanks for the feedback!

18 hours ago, ledha said:

Giving a earlier magic shop for Owen and Saywer. Especially the first, who have to rely on his special book and only the one during a LONG time

We're addressing this by changing the reward for keeping the greens alive in 1-1 to a stat booster and having enemies drop a magic tome for Sawyer and Owen.

Changing the IA of the white haired pegasus girl (i momentarly forgot her name) in her join chapter because holy hell, she is SUICIDAL. 

I think her AI is the same as Ross'? Go for lord/attack enemy.

Stepping down a bit the "waves" of ennemies in the last chapter

Unsure if this will change or not.

maybe boost the growth of Charles, as well as the bases of Kate/Harold ? I find actually the ennemies... quite strong. Maybe a bit too much ?

I think Charles is in a pretty good spot, Kate has been adjusted, unsure if Harold has been looked at.

most of my units finished the chapter around level 17-20. I hope promotion items are coming soon !

There will be a promotion item in 1-F in the next release. As well as a few in act 2.

Buffing Eagle ? Between Elijah (Chuck Norris incarnate) and the duo Owen/Sawyer, he is a bit underwhelming, i found.

It seems like every time we've buffed Eagle he got too powerful lol.

19 hours ago, ledha said:

- Changing the IA of the white haired pegasus girl (i momentarly forgot her name) in her join chapter because holy hell, she is SUICIDAL. 

How dare you forget her name ?!

Overall, thanks a lot for the feedback ! We're finding it pretty useful and the fact that you elaborate on things helps a lot

Merci ~

9 hours ago, Nguyen Dang Trong Phuc said:

Will they release v2.0? or This project 've already died

Assuming all goes to plan there should be some sort of release by the holidays. Currently blitzing the chapters we need which should speed things along greatly.

All hasn't gone to plan and we're still waiting on some people to do their part for blitz stuff. The next release (half of act 2) has been pushed back and the current release date is "When it's done."

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Just popping in to say how much I love this hack and can't wait to see it progress; definitely a gem of a find for me. :P

Most concerns I'd have seem to have been addressed recently, but I will add a potential bug I found that I'm not sure if it was brought up. The boss for 1-10 (I think...), Fallon, has a skill that lets him do more damage to unmounted units. However, when attacking him with Belle he seemed to still get the bonus (I checked the numbers and did the math; the skill worked properly and did no bonus damage to Lily or Charles, but Belle was being affected by it). 

That's the only issue I've found so far, since as I said, my biggest gripes were already brought up (Owen getting a new dark tome too late, Kate's base stats seeming way too low for her level/join time).

Other than that, I look forward to seeing more :) 

Hey, I just made an account to say buff the lance knight in the first chapter. He gets one rounded by the mages from full health. Give him like 1 extra speed, so he doesn't get doubled. As it is currently, the lance knight will almost always die when the mage spawns down south, unless the player gets a lucky crit with Elijah, or several lucky dodges with Sawyer.

• 4 weeks later...

SoA is older, your names are entirely generic, and your claims are baseless. You might as well be dogpiled for using any of the names in that thread that're based on existing things. You do realize that 'Shon' is the name of a protagonist in one of the most well-known GBAFE fangames, right?

This is a good way to get the FE hacking community to dislike you.

1 hour ago, circleseverywhere said:

NEVER MIND THAT'S ALL THE EVIDENCE I NEED TO DECLARE ZIM GUILTY OF STEELING CONCEPTUAL DONUTS

Oh no I've been found out.

But seriously how are you even claiming that we stole anything with a straight face when this thread is from 2015 and your idea was posted in 2017.

And in other news here's a small progress report:

S2-1, S2-2, O2-1, and 2-3x are fully completed. O2-2 is very close to completion. Writing for the first half of act 2 is also very close to completion.

yemZaw2.png

Thanks to a (semi-successful) blitz we tried, everything but O2-4 at least has unit placements done and just needs the beginning, middle, and ending events to be done, which helps quite a bit.

Most of the portraits are done, we're also redoing the griffon knight animation and adding a promotion option called the Arbalest (this replaces the kinshi knight we were intending to have).

RIP Staff of Ages. #ZimExposedParty2018 #InvdrZimIsDead

1 minute ago, InvdrZim13 said:

And in other news here's a small progress report:

S2-1, S2-2, O2-1, and 2-3x are fully completed. O2-2 is very close to completion. Writing for the first half of act 2 is also very close to completion.

yemZaw2.png

Thanks to a (semi-successful) blitz we tried, everything but O2-4 at least has unit placements done and just needs the beginning, middle, and ending events to be done, which helps quite a bit.

Most of the portraits are done, we're also redoing the griffon knight animation and adding a promotion option called the Arbalest (this replaces the kinshi knight we were intending to have).

Oh you're still working on this project after being exposed!? BOLD. 

In all seriousness, this is a very exciting update! I'm happy to see both routes are doing well in terms of progress. Honestly the progress is faster than I thought it would be. Good news :)

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, InvdrZim13 said:

Also here's a few new mugs:

K7AgpkV.png3ugfYGb.pngJMFSPCY.png

hYZR13U.pngwmNps7u.pnggvvLnrU.png

SICK! The green-haired woman and bearded brown-haired guy are especially... charming. Is the blue moustache dude gonna be a Cervantes-esque character?