Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, DevilSlayr5836 said:

Not sure if this has been found yet but had green unit leonid cause an infinite heal glitch from healing sawyer whiles hes at max hp.

Screenshot_20180907-232038.png

i had that happen to me as well, so i went to owens route cause i did not want that to happen again. 

Great hack!  The only one I know of that I think I like more is that Immortal Sword one (custom game, not hack, but you get what I mean) and that's just because of all the recognizable characters!  I also like Elibean Nights for the same reason.  I was so bummed at the end of Chapter S2-4 when it just went back to the title screen (That is the end of the current version, right?  I didn't experience a bug?  Wondering, because it didn't have anyone pop up at the end being like "This is the end of this version, leave some feedback!")

Just played the previous version and saw a new one was out recently and played through again to make sure my story feedback is still relevant, and I think it is.  Played through the Sawyer path cuz Owen's kinda dull compared to him imo.  Owen's like an even more straight-man Eliwood and Sawyer is the more interesting Hector.

Gameplay Bugs

Great Knights appear as Halberdiers on the map (and Unit Selection menu if you've got a Great Knight).

Only archers (and I assume Snipers but I didn't have one) can use the longbows, so many non-archer units who start with one can't use them, including enemies.  I actually don't think this is too bad, as it gives archers something unique about them so it's not always bad to have snipers over a promotion like a ranger that can use swords too.  You'd just have to switch out the longbows that are in the inventories of enemies who can't use them.

When the second pegasus knight dies, the sepia-filtered memory portraits of Belle talking with the Queen before she writes the letter to the duchess is the death dialogue.

In chapter S2-4, the old man in the village talks about a bow, but you get a Master Seal (not that I'm complaining).

In chapter S2-4 (dunno if it's also elsewhere, but this was the only time I saw combat with a Wyvern Knight), the Wyvern Knights appear in battle as the wolves from Sacred Stones.

Apart from these, there were a few typos, but I don't remember the chapters.  I took screenshots, but I guess they're a little less important than the bugs right now.

Priests' promotion choices are: Bishop, Sage, Sage, dunno if that's just a placeholder until one is found, though.

Edited by Crackalecin

(Forgive my noobishness at forums but it's not liking me having two spoiler-tagged sections, forcing the second one to be an un-highlight-able section within the first)

Also, Harold's hair is a little big imo.

Story Suggestions

Story-wise, everything is great, except for the queen.  She's so obviously wrong on all counts, so you feel not even the slightest bit justified in fighting Seneca, apart from revenge for Belle, and it's weird for them to be pretending it's good for the citizens when they're obviously crippling the kingdom with the civil war.  To fix this, I'd recommend the queen sending adequate defense to that fort like Seneca says, but also have Seneca recommend a counterattack, which she denies.

Seneca is described as "reckless" but all he's saying is to defend their holdings, completely logical and sensible to do.  I think making it so the queen agrees with defending, and changing Seneca's stance to outright counterattacking would justify that description more, and give the queen a little more credibility, while not draining Seneca completely of his, because it is true that Arynden already seem to consider themselves at war, so you can see the reasons of both sides' positions.

This way, she doesn't come across as insanely naive and out of touch since she doesn't have to deal with the consequences of her disastrous policy while her people do.  It'll feel like she actually does care about her people and defending her country, rather than pretending Arynden isn't already clearly treating them as though they were at war.  She'll appear to care about her people, but also not want to counterattack to avoid all-out war.  

This way, she appears to want peace but know that it's not always an option so you need a good defense, but not be willing to commit to war, while Seneca still has a point that Arynden already feels they're at war, and there'd be plenty of citizens who'd agree with him, letting you keep the plot point that many citizens think she's disinterested.

Because as things stand now, Seneca was completely justified in taking over.  Probably not in killing her, but she absolutely deserved to be removed from power.  Any sensible person in the story would see that, and having Belle defend her so blindly kind of detracts from Belle's credibility as well, which isn't good, as the main protagonist.

I think this would fix that little story hiccup by making it so the queen doesn't come off as a sheltered noble who doesn't care about the common people and thinks too highly of clearly violent enemies in a medieval setting.

Like in FE7, Eliwood doesn't like violence, but he knows that one has to defend oneself.

The queen's attitude wouldn't be an issue if it were only affecting her, but it's so clearly a disastrous policy for her people who're dying.

I also think it's a little out of character for Seneca's guys to suddenly start being mean to the citizens for no good reason, unless that's people from Arynden framing them, in which case I think it'd be a good idea to drop some kind of hint so you have at least a tiny bit of doubt that Seneca and his guys are the ones responsible.

Edited by Crackalecin

I was doing S2-3 and those gryphons were a bit pissing me off, killing those civilians and all. So I went for a fleeing attempt, moving all the city to the south. My Eagle paladin and Silver knight Charles led the charge and we killed the boss turn 4 or 5..and I figured out it was actually much easier to defend from only one front. Until the game engine froze.. I'll post a video on YouTube and link it to here tonight. Also Horace doesn't have Canto in S2-3?

7 hours ago, Crackalecin said:

(Forgive my noobishness at forums but it's not liking me having two spoiler-tagged sections, forcing the second one to be an un-highlight-able section within the first)

Also, Harold's hair is a little big imo.

Story Suggestions

Hide contents

Story-wise, everything is great, except for the queen.  She's so obviously wrong on all counts, so you feel not even the slightest bit justified in fighting Seneca, apart from revenge for Belle, and it's weird for them to be pretending it's good for the citizens when they're obviously crippling the kingdom with the civil war.  To fix this, I'd recommend the queen sending adequate defense to that fort like Seneca says, but also have Seneca recommend a counterattack, which she denies.

Seneca is described as "reckless" but all he's saying is to defend their holdings, completely logical and sensible to do.  I think making it so the queen agrees with defending, and changing Seneca's stance to outright counterattacking would justify that description more, and give the queen a little more credibility, while not draining Seneca completely of his, because it is true that Arynden already seem to consider themselves at war, so you can see the reasons of both sides' positions.

This way, she doesn't come across as insanely naive and out of touch since she doesn't have to deal with the consequences of her disastrous policy while her people do.  It'll feel like she actually does care about her people and defending her country, rather than pretending Arynden isn't already clearly treating them as though they were at war.  She'll appear to care about her people, but also not want to counterattack to avoid all-out war.  

This way, she appears to want peace but know that it's not always an option so you need a good defense, but not be willing to commit to war, while Seneca still has a point that Arynden already feels they're at war, and there'd be plenty of citizens who'd agree with him, letting you keep the plot point that many citizens think she's disinterested.

Because as things stand now, Seneca was completely justified in taking over.  Probably not in killing her, but she absolutely deserved to be removed from power.  Any sensible person in the story would see that, and having Belle defend her so blindly kind of detracts from Belle's credibility as well, which isn't good, as the main protagonist.

I think this would fix that little story hiccup by making it so the queen doesn't come off as a sheltered noble who doesn't care about the common people and thinks too highly of clearly violent enemies in a medieval setting.

Like in FE7, Eliwood doesn't like violence, but he knows that one has to defend oneself.

The queen's attitude wouldn't be an issue if it were only affecting her, but it's so clearly a disastrous policy for her people who're dying.

I also think it's a little out of character for Seneca's guys to suddenly start being mean to the citizens for no good reason, unless that's people from Arynden framing them, in which case I think it'd be a good idea to drop some kind of hint so you have at least a tiny bit of doubt that Seneca and his guys are the ones responsible.

Spoiler

The matter of Kalvesta and whether or not she's right or wrong ultimately comes down to opinion here because there's no clear right or wrong.

She acts this way because while Arynden does show aggression towards Fortuita, Fortuita does not have the resources to go on a war against Arynden and would most likely lose the war. She's unsure as to how to proceed because trying to be diplomatic with them about it could be seen as a sign of weakness and if things were to get too heated, Arynden could decide to openly declare a war that Fortuita is not ready to fight.

It's also worth noting that this is the first case of human to human war in Staff of Ages' setting, there have been criminals such as bandits and highwaymen but no actual war so she has no reference in that regard.

Assuming that Fortuita's reaction doesn't cause Arynden to declare said war, your suggestion would make Seneca look flat out wrong because he would then be in favor of a war he knows could not be won when defending seems to work out fine. He's "reckless" in the sense that he's very quick to anger.

In regards to Belle, her reaction is  emotional (which is understandable considering what happened) and doesn't really give any indication of her rational capabilities. In arc 1 we weren't trying to make her look "right" any more than Seneca would be because it's a story born from an emotional moment that is met with something also born from emotions.

If you have any question feel free to ask !

Cleared Sawyer's Route and found what appears to be a bug where the game loads the ending dialogue on the stage itself.

As for the stages and characters themselves

Spoiler

S2-1
An interesting twist on the standard rout map since there's a time limit on it, there's just enough time for players to take it a little on the slow side but its not super lenient encouraging you to rush and clean out the enemies. The new characters were all useful and I see that you're changing Julia around which is great since she's strictly worse than Lily in most parameters (mind you, she's still decent in her own right). Deborah not having Dominate made a her less durable than she should be not but it wasn't that big of a deal in this stage (and its getting fixed anyway).

S2-2
Getting to the village before the pirate was a real challenge since that Arbalist can easily finish off most of your team in conjunction with the rest of the enemies on the bridge. The rest of the stage after the initial rush is rather boring and uninteresting. Kane is blind as a bat but I believe that you're going to rebalance him and Boh's personal is too esoteric for me to appreciate.

S2-3
The most enjoyable chapter on Sawyer's side of the split so far, there's a lot of action and everyone gets something to do. That surprise Dulam Druid spawned a little too close for comfort by the villagers so he caused me a run of the stage, however on the second try I was able to get him as well as just barely managing to kill the boss on the last turn. Horace was very useful on the stage and Perception saved him from quite a few sticky situations. I'm not quite sure what you want to do with Longbows since there's a quite a few characters and enemies that show up with one but can't use it.

S2-4
Didn't like this one, the mountain routes are very cramped and it feels like the reinforcement spawn rates were a little too high (might be because I spent a little too long on the stage since I was trying to drag Deniel across the map to see if he had a boss conversation). Nothing to really say about Deniel as a unit since he didn't get to do much for me all chapter however Short Fuse + Berserker's critical bonus looks like it will be very powerful in later chapters.

Overall, I think Owen's route is slightly better than Sawyer's, however they were both very enjoyable experiences and I'm definitely looking forward to the update as well as the rest of the game. Additionally I'm kind of curious about the promotions for each lord especially with the way that both O2-4 and S2-4 ended.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:45 AM, InvdrZim13 said:

So not everything we needed to get done got done due to the demands of real life, but rather than delay the release we're electing to release what we have finished and then within the next week-week and a half we'll put out another release that will have everything fixed that needs to be, as well as whatever polishing needs to be done.

So things that probably won't make it into the initial release:

• Character palettes
  • Chapter titles
  • New title screen
  • Some/all of the new music
  • Fixing the shaman casting animation (game doesn't crash but the animation breaks and we might not have the time to fix it before we release tomorrow)

Hey, so I was wondering when this update will come out because I was planning on doing a 2nd playthrough of this, but I want to wait for the patch to come out before I start again.

36 minutes ago, LinkachuHQ said:

Hey, so I was wondering when this update will come out because I was planning on doing a 2nd playthrough of this, but I want to wait for the patch to come out before I start again.

We don't have a solid date, it'll be out when it's done. The scope of the next patch has increased greatly and requires far more work to finish than we initially thought it would.

5 hours ago, InvdrZim13 said:

We don't have a solid date, it'll be out when it's done. The scope of the next patch has increased greatly and requires far more work to finish than we initially thought it would.

When the patch does get done, what will happen to preexisting units whose base stats get changed? Will those of us who have already recruited those units need to play the game again in order to recruit those units with their new bases? 

4 hours ago, WhiteyMcFly said:

When the patch does get done, what will happen to preexisting units whose base stats get changed? Will those of us who have already recruited those units need to play the game again in order to recruit those units with their new bases? 

Unfortunately yes. We're working on an overhaul of several skills which will also make saves from old files misbehave. We're working on providing a save that starts at the split with units who have their average stats at some level.

8 hours ago, InvdrZim13 said:

Unfortunately yes. We're working on an overhaul of several skills which will also make saves from old files misbehave. We're working on providing a save that starts at the split with units who have their average stats at some level.

In that case I'll probably end up giving that save file a look, though I'll likely end up playing through part 1 again anyhow to get the full experience. 

I don't know what they are in the current build off hand, but in the next update they're as follows, luck and hp aren't included because they're the same for everyone.

Landsnkecht: 28 28 25 26 24

Arbalist: 25 27 27 22 26

Silver Knight: 26 28 28 22 22

6 hours ago, This Is A Whatever said:

I dunno if this has been reported as a bug yet, but if you Master Seal Darius into either a General or a Great Knight, his weapon rank in swords goes down.

Good to know, we'll fix that

Just cleared Act 1 and Sawyer's route on 0% growths and I have to say it was a blast to play through to say the least. The latter half of Act 1 in particular kept me on my toes the whole way through. Overall it was a fun and challenging experience. I'm kind of surprised the game so far was actually doable on 0% growths, but I digress. I wanted to give my take on Sawyer's route if anything, as I found a couple aspects of it to be faulty which make it considerably inferior to Owen's route and Act 1 in writing and gameplay:

Spoiler

First, I wanted to address the roles of certain characters in this route as far as the narrative goes:

• Deborah: By far my biggest gripe with the writing of Sawyer's route so far. She's supposed to be Sawyer's guide for Gahum (which was emphasized at the end of 2-1) and yet she doesn't even mutter a word past 2-1. No dialogue, no world building, no banter, nothing. In fact, Kane is the one doing the talking and the guiding and he's not even Gahumian. Furthermore, Deborah states that she doesn't want to involve herself with Ezpatha, so why then does she not leave Sawyer's party when they're reach the Ezpathan border? She may as well be a generic warrior what with her nonexistent role in the narrative. Horace, a Land tribesman, certainly doesn't help with Deborah's relevance; he's far more involved than she is (having connections to Kane and allowing Sawyer and friends to stay in his tribesmen's property, leading into chapter 2-3) and he's Gahumian to boot. I'd go as far as to say you could write her out of the story and nothing would change (she doesn't even appear in the Owen route variant of her debt cutscene lmao). Not that I have a problem with Kane and his crew though, they're quite lively and entertaining, and I don't even care for Deborah, she's bland and underutilized. All I ask is that the writers remain consistent with the roles of characters in the story. At the very least, minimize Deborah's role to being a warrior in search of glory or introduce her in a later chapter, don't build her up as being important only to shaft her right after.
  • Julia: Same problem as Deborah only to a lesser extent. She's characterized as a soldier who fled from service (to Fortuita no less) because she didn't like being in the military or something along those lines. So why on earth did she willingly decide to follow Sawyer? I thought she was trying to escape from that life, but its not like I'd know her reasons why as she doesn't have anything to say at the end of 2-1. Add some dialogue with Julia to justify her staying in the party, whether it'd be character growth or some unfortunate circumstance.
  •  Boh: My only nitpick with him is we don't know why he's in Gahum or what exactly the path of the Order is in the context of SoA's setting. Could use another talk convo detailing his background, though I figure this might get touched upon in his supports so I'll hold my breath.
  • Leonid: In 2-2 when Sawyer and the gang are discussing where to find a guide for Ezpatha, I'm surprised Leonid didn't offer himself to guide the party as he inadvertently claims to be Ezpathan (what Sawyer is seeking in the first place) in the same scene and even mentions how his people need to cross Gahum's border to reach Fortuita and Riviere. This significant detail gets glossed over when Kane gets brought up after the fact. A strange oversight to say the least.
  • Deniel: No conversation with Felix despite having a relationship established in the cutscene prior to the chapter

Overall, its not necessarily the narrative I have an issue with, its moreso these minor inconsistencies that I began to notice more and more that take away from the quality of the writing in my honest opinion. There's room for improvement and I hope the writers at least take my points into consideration to better the script.

Secondly, the gameplay:

• 2-1: Not much to say, its a solid map all around from a strictly gameplay standpoint, although I find the turn count to be a strange inclusion. Why exactly are we being pressed for time here? This was never elaborated upon so I'm curious to know.
  • 2-2: Probably the worst map of the Act 2 bunch so far. Not saying its bad, in fact it has a good side objective with the pirate gunning for the village, and the obstacles in your path, the fliers and the lancereaver merc by the village add on to the pressure of attempting to save the village in time. My main gripe would be the southern half of the map. There's hardly any valuable incentive down there for the player to act on. The armory perhaps, but there was an armory and a vendor in the previous map, and I doubt many players would be pressed to shop for expensive equipment they may not need having spent money in the previous chapter. The thief with the master seal can be baited out of that area and you wouldn't have to worry about the silver knight or sage hunting you down. It's much safer to take the western path with there being less enemies and it even leads straight into another village. I would suggest adding a village to the southeastern corner and have the silver knight or hero hold the master seal (make it stealable so Marques can be relevant, there's hardly anything for him to steal or pick in Sawyer's route anyway). As for the thief, it could be situated between the southeast and the ship instead and be programmed to pillage the newly placed village. This would encourage players to split their army into three teams: one to take care of the western part of the map, one to hunt down the pirate, and one to take the now southern village and rout the enemies on the ship. Hell you could add a chest on the ship to make it an area of interest instead of it being a nice aesthetic to an otherwise lopsided map. I believe doing something along these lines would greatly improve the quality of the map, giving the player multiple objectives, speeding up the gameplay, and involving every nook and cranny of the map in the battle, thereby fleshing out a map brimming with potential.
  • 2-3: Unquestionably the best map in the game. I don't know what those kids are doing outside in the midst of battle, but who cares, you have people to protect and walls to defend. Enemies coming from all sides not allowing you a moment to breath, the arbalists and griffons pressuring from the northeast, dulam druids and nomads from the south, etc.; all the while the boss and his druid buddy are dangling juicy chunks of loot in front of your face. Brilliantly designed map, two thumbs up, I love it.
  • 2-4: This map was odd in more ways than one. The mercs in the center were stationary, the warrior by the boss can't use his longbow, and the boss was fairly easy to reach. It has potential, but I feel like this map was rushed, might just be me, considering the cutscene at the end is glitched. Perhaps reinforcements should arrive a turn sooner? Maybe a sleep staff could shake things up a bit. Just throwing ideas around. Also, that lone bridge hugging the eastern border of the map is completely useless, I don't know why its there.

Overall, solid gameplay and good ideas here and there, but it doesn't hold up to Act 1 or Owen's route in terms of overall writing and gameplay. Additionally, another musical track would be much appreciated, Men of Intelligence is really wearing out on me and doesn't fit the adventurous/treacherous vibe of Sawyer's route in my opinion.

Misc:

Spoiler

Nitpicks:

• Harold: For someone who likes to tease, I sure don't see a whole lot of teasing from Harold. None of his interactions in either segment of the story utilize this supposed trait of his. As it stands now, its just a superficial detail that doesn't need to be included. It'd be like if you took Deborah's bio and added "Likes to eat steak" to make her character more appealing. If anything, his atonement for past sins could implicate some bad habits of mischief, not mention its more potent for development and conversation than "likes to tease". Whether or not his description is amended to suit his actual character is up to the writers.
  • Deborah: fugly Garret splice
  • Templar is just a Valkyrie in sheep's wool
  • Rangers and Nomad Troopers in the same game, or rather fulfilling the same niche
  • SIlver Knights in a pirate crew as opposed to Marauders or Rangers
  • Leonid's promotion branches are Bishop, Sage, and Sage
  • Kind of disappointed to see FE8 monsters return, not a big deal though. Would be neat if they were substituted with new monsters like the Helhest.

Glitches

• Julia's blinking animation is bugged
  • The Mogalls spasm out of control when they attack
  • Attacking a warrior with an unusable longbow at 1 range makes them invisible in the battle animation
  • Upon promotion to sage, Leonid cannot use staves with the sun festal in his inventory, have not checked to see if the same applies to his bishop promotion or if Aurora shares the same issues
  • Attempting to heal with an unusable sun festal in the inventory crashes the game, have not checked to to see if the same applies with the bloom festal
  • When Oberon's general are about to kill Belle's guards at the coronation, the cutscene freezes, forcing me to reset and skip the entire aftermath
  • Deborah's animation is bugged

6 hours ago, lurkbot said:

Just cleared Act 1 and Sawyer's route on 0% growths and I have to say it was a blast to play through to say the least. The latter half of Act 1 in particular kept me on my toes the whole way through. Overall it was a fun and challenging experience. I'm kind of surprised the game so far was actually doable on 0% growths, but I digress. I wanted to give my take on Sawyer's route if anything, as I found a couple aspects of it to be faulty which make it considerably inferior to Owen's route and Act 1 in writing and gameplay:

Reveal hidden contents

First, I wanted to address the roles of certain characters in this route as far as the narrative goes:

• Deborah: By far my biggest gripe with the writing of Sawyer's route so far. She's supposed to be Sawyer's guide for Gahum (which was emphasized at the end of 2-1) and yet she doesn't even mutter a word past 2-1. No dialogue, no world building, no banter, nothing. In fact, Kane is the one doing the talking and the guiding and he's not even Gahumian. Furthermore, Deborah states that she doesn't want to involve herself with Ezpatha, so why then does she not leave Sawyer's party when they're reach the Ezpathan border? She may as well be a generic warrior what with her nonexistent role in the narrative. Horace, a Land tribesman, certainly doesn't help with Deborah's relevance; he's far more involved than she is (having connections to Kane and allowing Sawyer and friends to stay in his tribesmen's property, leading into chapter 2-3) and he's Gahumian to boot. I'd go as far as to say you could write her out of the story and nothing would change (she doesn't even appear in the Owen route variant of her debt cutscene lmao). Not that I have a problem with Kane and his crew though, they're quite lively and entertaining, and I don't even care for Deborah, she's bland and underutilized. All I ask is that the writers remain consistent with the roles of characters in the story. At the very least, minimize Deborah's role to being a warrior in search of glory or introduce her in a later chapter, don't build her up as being important only to shaft her right after.
  • Julia: Same problem as Deborah only to a lesser extent. She's characterized as a soldier who fled from service (to Fortuita no less) because she didn't like being in the military or something along those lines. So why on earth did she willingly decide to follow Sawyer? I thought she was trying to escape from that life, but its not like I'd know her reasons why as she doesn't have anything to say at the end of 2-1. Add some dialogue with Julia to justify her staying in the party, whether it'd be character growth or some unfortunate circumstance.
  •  Boh: My only nitpick with him is we don't know why he's in Gahum or what exactly the path of the Order is in the context of SoA's setting. Could use another talk convo detailing his background, though I figure this might get touched upon in his supports so I'll hold my breath.
  • Leonid: In 2-2 when Sawyer and the gang are discussing where to find a guide for Ezpatha, I'm surprised Leonid didn't offer himself to guide the party as he inadvertently claims to be Ezpathan (what Sawyer is seeking in the first place) in the same scene and even mentions how his people need to cross Gahum's border to reach Fortuita and Riviere. This significant detail gets glossed over when Kane gets brought up after the fact. A strange oversight to say the least.
  • Deniel: No conversation with Felix despite having a relationship established in the cutscene prior to the chapter

Overall, its not necessarily the narrative I have an issue with, its moreso these minor inconsistencies that I began to notice more and more that take away from the quality of the writing in my honest opinion. There's room for improvement and I hope the writers at least take my points into consideration to better the script.

Secondly, the gameplay:

• 2-1: Not much to say, its a solid map all around from a strictly gameplay standpoint, although I find the turn count to be a strange inclusion. Why exactly are we being pressed for time here? This was never elaborated upon so I'm curious to know.
  • 2-2: Probably the worst map of the Act 2 bunch so far. Not saying its bad, in fact it has a good side objective with the pirate gunning for the village, and the obstacles in your path, the fliers and the lancereaver merc by the village add on to the pressure of attempting to save the village in time. My main gripe would be the southern half of the map. There's hardly any valuable incentive down there for the player to act on. The armory perhaps, but there was an armory and a vendor in the previous map, and I doubt many players would be pressed to shop for expensive equipment they may not need having spent money in the previous chapter. The thief with the master seal can be baited out of that area and you wouldn't have to worry about the silver knight or sage hunting you down. It's much safer to take the western path with there being less enemies and it even leads straight into another village. I would suggest adding a village to the southeastern corner and have the silver knight or hero hold the master seal (make it stealable so Marques can be relevant, there's hardly anything for him to steal or pick in Sawyer's route anyway). As for the thief, it could be situated between the southeast and the ship instead and be programmed to pillage the newly placed village. This would encourage players to split their army into three teams: one to take care of the western part of the map, one to hunt down the pirate, and one to take the now southern village and rout the enemies on the ship. Hell you could add a chest on the ship to make it an area of interest instead of it being a nice aesthetic to an otherwise lopsided map. I believe doing something along these lines would greatly improve the quality of the map, giving the player multiple objectives, speeding up the gameplay, and involving every nook and cranny of the map in the battle, thereby fleshing out a map brimming with potential.
  • 2-3: Unquestionably the best map in the game. I don't know what those kids are doing outside in the midst of battle, but who cares, you have people to protect and walls to defend. Enemies coming from all sides not allowing you a moment to breath, the arbalists and griffons pressuring from the northeast, dulam druids and nomads from the south, etc.; all the while the boss and his druid buddy are dangling juicy chunks of loot in front of your face. Brilliantly designed map, two thumbs up, I love it.
  • 2-4: This map was odd in more ways than one. The mercs in the center were stationary, the warrior by the boss can't use his longbow, and the boss was fairly easy to reach. It has potential, but I feel like this map was rushed, might just be me, considering the cutscene at the end is glitched. Perhaps reinforcements should arrive a turn sooner? Maybe a sleep staff could shake things up a bit. Just throwing ideas around. Also, that lone bridge hugging the eastern border of the map is completely useless, I don't know why its there.

Overall, solid gameplay and good ideas here and there, but it doesn't hold up to Act 1 or Owen's route in terms of overall writing and gameplay. Additionally, another musical track would be much appreciated, Men of Intelligence is really wearing out on me and doesn't fit the adventurous/treacherous vibe of Sawyer's route in my opinion.

Misc:

Reveal hidden contents

Nitpicks:

• Harold: For someone who likes to tease, I sure don't see a whole lot of teasing from Harold. None of his interactions in either segment of the story utilize this supposed trait of his. As it stands now, its just a superficial detail that doesn't need to be included. It'd be like if you took Deborah's bio and added "Likes to eat steak" to make her character more appealing. If anything, his atonement for past sins could implicate some bad habits of mischief, not mention its more potent for development and conversation than "likes to tease". Whether or not his description is amended to suit his actual character is up to the writers.
  • Deborah: fugly Garret splice
  • Templar is just a Valkyrie in sheep's wool
  • Rangers and Nomad Troopers in the same game, or rather fulfilling the same niche
  • SIlver Knights in a pirate crew as opposed to Marauders or Rangers
  • Leonid's promotion branches are Bishop, Sage, and Sage
  • Kind of disappointed to see FE8 monsters return, not a big deal though. Would be neat if they were substituted with new monsters like the Helhest.

Glitches

• Julia's blinking animation is bugged
  • The Mogalls spasm out of control when they attack
  • Attacking a warrior with an unusable longbow at 1 range makes them invisible in the battle animation
  • Upon promotion to sage, Leonid cannot use staves with the sun festal in his inventory, have not checked to see if the same applies to his bishop promotion or if Aurora shares the same issues
  • Attempting to heal with an unusable sun festal in the inventory crashes the game, have not checked to to see if the same applies with the bloom festal
  • When Oberon's general are about to kill Belle's guards at the coronation, the cutscene freezes, forcing me to reset and skip the entire aftermath
  • Deborah's animation is bugged

Appreciate the feedback on the Sawyer route characters.  I'll address them below.

1. This character was not initially going to be a part of the team this early in the Arc.  I actually didn't know the change had been made for a while, as I was distracted by school.  I'll be sure to add some actually substantial dialogue for her.

2. A fair criticism.  She sort of got overshadowed by the pirate boys in the end.  I'll make sure to explain her motivations more.

3. He is going to be expanded on a lot in supports.  A lot of it is already planned out, so keep your eye on him when the support update comes.

4. I don't actually remember that he claims to be from Ezpatha.  If that's true (which I assume it is, because you said so), I'll make sure it gets addressed.

5. 2-4 received a lot of rewrites, and his relationship with the map's boss must've fallen through the cracks.  Good catch.

Again, appreciate the feedback, all very fair critiques.  Thank you!

53 minutes ago, Scott1337 said:

Appreciate the feedback on the Sawyer route characters.  I'll address them below.

1. This character was not initially going to be a part of the team this early in the Arc.  I actually didn't know the change had been made for a while, as I was distracted by school.  I'll be sure to add some actually substantial dialogue for her.

2. A fair criticism.  She sort of got overshadowed by the pirate boys in the end.  I'll make sure to explain her motivations more.

3. He is going to be expanded on a lot in supports.  A lot of it is already planned out, so keep your eye on him when the support update comes.

4. I don't actually remember that he claims to be from Ezpatha.  If that's true (which I assume it is, because you said so), I'll make sure it gets addressed.

5. 2-4 received a lot of rewrites, and his relationship with the map's boss must've fallen through the cracks.  Good catch.

Again, appreciate the feedback, all very fair critiques.  Thank you!

Spoiler

5b9eeb9c5b201_Screenshot_20180916-194703_MyBoy!Free.thumb.jpg.48d3b550aaddefedd1520659553ca4c0.jpg5b9eec498c203_Screenshot_20180916-195009_MyBoy!Free.thumb.jpg.1df06944f59c41dfcaeade050cd83e10.jpg5b9eeba893d3c_Screenshot_20180916-194717_MyBoy!Free.thumb.jpg.dcfa472ba0b577fc0f14a615311db5a0.jpg5b9eec5320ca6_Screenshot_20180916-195018_MyBoy!Free.thumb.jpg.dbaaa01d514dd107302be5a01c34e3ff.jpg5b9eec5c3aa6c_Screenshot_20180916-195024_MyBoy!Free.thumb.jpg.9b9e94533944789421d7634c7a8baeaa.jpg

for reference

No problem. I appreciate the response!

Alongside Lily's unequipped sprite, I think Kate's Wyvern Knight sprite is glitched since... it kinda just looks like a wolf monster.

Also, the Fortuitan Great Knight in Chapter 1-11 has his outerworld sprite glitched so that he kind of looks like a Sentinel I think.

Edited by This Is A Whatever