Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

Plot/Backstory
Nearly two millennia ago, humans came to exist in a dark world shrouded in mist. For a brief period of human history, all was well. This peace would soon be broken; dark creatures emerged from the Black Mists, running rampant and terrorizing humanity.Unable to combat the emerging threat, humans called upon the heavens in desperation, only to be returned with silence. The being that had placed them upon this earth would not respond to their cries of agony and humanity quickly learned they had been forsaken. With their backs to the walls and forces of darkness encroaching ever closer, the peoples took matters into their own hands. These desperate times drove humanity to desperate measures, steel weapons were forged from human dread and desperation. But these weapons were not enough, greater power was needed, more than a simple forge could produce. A commanding sage named Velhari turned to the arcane arts and through further tribulations, created a flaming staff of overwhelming power. With the weapon complete, all of humanity rallied together in a final offensive for survival; Velhari plunged the staff into the dirt. Light arced through the land, shining pillars bursting forth throughout the corners of earth and the fruits of mans desperation rang true. The beasts from the dark turned to cinders and the Black Mists were sealed away, leaving a bright new world in humanitys fingertips. The world would remember its heroine, Velhari, and named the continent in her honor. Her legendary weapon would be forever immortalized at the center of a great city and was dubbed: The Staff of Ages.
Free from the Black Mists oppression, the peoples of the new founded continent spread to its corners.

The kingdom of Fortuita, located at the continents heart, tamed pegasi and rode into the skies. Arynden, a nation to the west, created a name for themselves by mastering steel and magic. To the East, the merchant nation of Riviere and its duchy, Persici, grew strong through trade, and between Fortuita and Persici, the tribal "nation" of Gahum formed. To the north, the isolationist nation of Toska rose. And to the south, explorers trekked through dangerous swamps to found Ezpatha.
As time marched on, the continents nations grew lax and careless. Countless years after humanitys stuggle, the Aryndese King Oberon, began attacking Fortuitum villages under the guise of border disputes; these militant actions were the first to be seen in a millennia. In hopes of avoiding any sort of conflict, Fortuitan Queen Kalvesta drew back her nation. Never-the-less, Arynden continued its assaults, with the queen doing little to retaliate.
Now, the Fortuitan-Arynden border is a standstill...

Whats Planned

• Over 40 playable characters
  • ~30 Chapters in total
  • Some custom weapons
  • Supports
  • A full story with multiple Lords to follow
  • New classes
  • Rain levels(!!!)
  • Hard Mode

Credits:

Spoiler

Credits:
Project Manager: InvdrZim13
Writing and Editing: Blinkingsky, Chastlily, garrulousAuthority, galastan, Scott1337, Search720p, stwalker, Tequila
Balancing: Blinkingsky, Gwimpage, InvdrZim13, Shephen
Art: Alusq, Coby, Toaomr, Glacoe, BlackMage, SgtSmilies, Ayr, Arcfalchion, saucy_butter, Melia, Astralunasol, Snakemommelissa, mageknight404
Map Design: Aki, Alusq, Punk, RandomWizard, Scrazia, Zmr
Laziness Enabling: Datagne
FEXNA: Yeti
Music: Alusq
Eventing (GBA): InvdrZim13, Datagne, Circles, Kirb, zmr
Eventing (XNA): InvdrZim13
Wizarding (GBA): Circleseverywhere, Tequila, Datagne
Playtesting: Gwimpage, Shephen, Black Mage, Toadinator2000, ErrantDSheperd, Glaceo, KeksKrebs, Konrad, MCProductions, Raisengen, Dialzza, SgtSmilies, Storyofrecursion, Ukulele, Xigdar, snakemommelissa, mageknight404

Special Thanks:
The playtesters for putting up with our dumpster fires
Blazer and Arch for their helpful tutorials
Nintenlord for all of his useful hacking programs
Nicktofficial for the nickt collection
Alusq for the soldier map sprites
Ayr for the updated Griffon/Arbalest animations
Circleseverywhere for the enemy range display hack
... and the hold L to enable/disable battle animations hack
... and the boss range display fix hack
... and the contemporary-style talk/support hack
... and the native instrument map for FE8
... and the HP bars
... and the Skills
Datagne for the hexing rod
Crazycolorz for that AI attacking walls magic
Toa for putting the art team on his back
Melia for those spicy generics
Alusq for a bunch of music/art things
Tequila for the colored growths/growths display/talk display
Anyone I forgot because theres a lot of people who helped make this happen and my memory sucks
GarrulousAuthority for writing this because I suck at words
Team SALVAGED for the redone Cavalier animations
All the talented people who made those custom animations for GBA FE
Everyone for being patient between releases

Download SoAXNA v0.1.1 here!

Public bug tracker

Act 1, Crown of Thorns: Complete

Act 2 is currently in development.

Hard mode will be done eventually.

All constructive feedback is welcome!

Discord link if you want more updates

Edited by InvdrZim13

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then, there's one more concept straight outta the blue! At least for me. Intriguing that the ancient divine object isn't a sword or other physical weapon but a staff this time around. Good luck!

Edited by Alusq

Well then, there's one more concept straight outta the blue! At least for me. Intriguing that the ancient divine object isn't a sword or other physical weapon but a staff this time around. Good luck!

That was actually one of the first things we decided on, we felt like it'd be more interesting that way, glad to see that it just might be.

Thanks!

Maybe we'll have something ready before the FEE3 submission due date

Thanks!

Is that really that impressive?

We've been seeing a number of concepts crop up in the recent weeks but with nothing to show for them, so seeing some screenshots of one's actual progress, however small it may be, shows that there's effort being put in and it's a welcome sight to see.

That said, I also like that the lore's icon of the hour is a staff instead of a weapon. The two maps seen look fairly decent, and the face sprites... Well, Belle's looks alright, but the other two need some touching up, but hey - the start is almost always the biggest hurdle for a new project. Hope things go well for this one!

The two maps seen look fairly decent, and the face sprites... Well, Belle's looks alright, but the other two need some touching up

I agree. You should keep the Belle sprite and make new ones or drastically change the old ones.

This project has a pretty big Art team, with different people doing different portraits. The Belle portrait was done by Toaomr. We aim at not only changing all the playable charas but also using custom bosses.

Some are not done by this point like that one guy who uses Eliwoods

Edited by Keks_Krebs

The two maps seen look fairly decent, and the face sprites... Well, Belle's looks alright, but the other two need some touching up

I agree. You should keep the Belle sprite and make new ones or drastically change the old ones.

I think I know which two you're referring to (not that there are more than two other new sprites on there), and we're actually working on making them better (Sawyer's is getting a totally new mug, for instance)

Edited by InvdrZim13

• 2 weeks later...

And I might as well put it on here, the map tile animations aren't working, despite it being set to 0x500 in nightmare, and unfortunately nobody I've asked has been able to figure out a solution for me to try, and I've got nothing. So if anyone has any idea on how to fix it please let me know, else Velhari will just have a bit of a standing water issue.

also about your map issue

you should probs explain in greater detail about what you did and what isn't working

Oh yeah, duh

The only problem is the water tiles don't move like they should, so instead it just sits there not moving.

I tried to insert it as a .tmx but that didn't change anything. So here's some pictures that hopefully help show what I've tried/done.

f7o3jyM.png

So here's the prologue map, the specific details about the design are unknown to me as I'm not the one who made it, but I don't think the issue is coming from the map itself, I've probably just goofed somewhere.

9nE2mih.png

And here's the (hopefully relevant) nightmare bit, I'm not 100% sure if there's anything else you'd need to know but I can try to give more information about it if needed.