Staff of Ages (SoAXNA v0.1 out now!)

InvdrZim13

18 hours ago, CNU said:

I want to say this is my first comment on the site, how do I get this game to run on the VisualBoyAdvance Emulator, I can't get it to run the rom but the emulator can run a normal Sacred Stones rom, any advice?

The UPS file is not a rom. Download NUPS and patch it. The patching tutorial is in the resources subforum and no, we can't link you to a prepatched rom.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Street Hero said:

Try this, work fine on both pc and android

Posting links to ROMs is both against the site rules and illegal, delete that link.

13 hours ago, CNU said:

the NPUS format just says the patch is corrupt and won't let me apply it to a Sacred Stones rom, am I doing something wrong?

Try redling or forcing the patch and see if it works?

Just want to say I'm very hyped for the next full release. I've played it back when it was 1.0 version and it was definitely one of the best ROMHacks for Fire Emblem out there, alongside Midnight Sun(Now dead), Elibian Nights and Sun God's Wrath.

I did figure out what was wrong before you replied (I don't think I can specify how on the site) and can I say this game is great, but boy you can tell it's a fan game. I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here but, Belle and Owen are average units with both having huge speed issue alongside bad defensive stats. This doesn't make the game impossible, but it does hinder my experience. Great game so far, but needs better growth rates.

Just finished the current build, I will try to be brief because you have heard most of my critiques before, and I had very little reason to use Harold seeing as light magic is weak and Oona had the added benefit of being a healer on a horse. I really enjoyed the personalities of the characters and all of the early game interactions. The map design was impeccable other than a few exceptions with the reinforcements coming at the perfect time to force clever play; I particularly enjoyed the cavalry on the final chapter. I however felt a little overwhelmed in the first chapter, I understand that that was intentional but I have found that I had far to many restarts just to keep those to armor knights alive. Other than that, I never found anything too difficult finding most of my restarts were a result of careless errors. I also cannot accurately say if Eagle is useful because mine only had 10 speed at level 12. Thank you for the release I really like it.

Edited by Thatoneidoit

• 2 weeks later...

Finished after some hours playing. I like the story of this hack and the characters. The first few chapter are hellish to be honest, ganged up while your unit at low level.

About unit:
I love both Owen and Sawyer. They maxed Mag and Spd respectively. I hope Owen turned to the darkside (kinda predictable) but still hold onto his morale, while Sawyer got to choose his life changing choices.
Belle is rather weak as a lord, almost got killed in first few chapter. And her Spd is not maxed out even though her Str is quite good, got 15 on her max level (but her Str growth is low tho, hmm). I wonder where will she be in the future, Sawyer or Owen path.
I kinda disliked Eagle (Sawyer servant, the Cavalier). I ditch him in the middle of the story. He turned out weak somehow. But, in the other hand, Elijah (Owen servant, the Fighter) is a beast. This is why i love Axe wielder in most fire emblem game rather than Lance wielder. They hit hard and have good survivability.
Other unit have some pros and cons, but i will wait until the next release.

I love Seneca role in this story. Not your typical villain who want power and some shit. But, the reason he killed the queen is rather questionable. If it is because of the plot for Belle to develop or there are some dark intervention going on in his emotion (because the staff maybe), i don't know. But, i hope he has better role and fate in the future since his ideal is not as villainy as it should be.

Oh and also, for Oberon's generals, please give them some badass nickname or title like the Grado's generals in FE8.

Overall, this hack worth the wait. 10/10 would play again.

I have nothing interesting to say but i couldnt bring myself not to say keep up the good work when i hear one of my all time favorite game Langrisser II's soundtrack playing in the game.

It' a nice coincidence because i was searching if there are any rom hacks for Langrisser II just 2 hours ago.

I also heard Riviera soundtrack in there. Just bullseye man.

Allright. Keep up the good work...

Just finished my playthough of 1.7.2, overall I enjoyed it but there are some things that could be improved on. I play somewhat efficiently but I never leave objectives being in the interest of turn count.

Units are generally well balanced. I think Lily (crazy personal skill and very high strength) and Oona (7 move and can use both healing and light magic) may be a bit too good and Axel (redundant, mediocre stats), Darius (benched him after mages started doubling him), and Harold (redundant, mediocre stats) are too weak but otherwise they're mostly fine. I like how some of the traditionally weak classes ended up being good like Fighter and Archer, in fact Elijah and Stark were my best units alongside Lily.

The maps were mostly good but the surprise reinforcements from where your group started were annoying since no warning was given. For 1-7 and 1-12 the chests being out of the way made the maps drag on way longer than I'd like, especially with thieves only having 5 move. These were the only two maps that I particularly disliked, with 1-12 being by far the biggest offender. The chests are very out of the way and Matteo has an elixer to steal so going for all of these ends up wasting a lot of time. Also the only challenging part was the surprise reinforcements which was also un-fun. I also think you should not recruit Nero and Sophie here and instead automatically recruit them afterwards since they will do nothing unless you go out of your way to feed them kills. They're too weak and too far away to meaningfully contribute in this chapter. One general issue I had was the low frequency and poor selection of armories and vendors. I strongly feel that 1-11 should have had an armory and vendor.

The writing is quite impressive for a hack. The story so far is a nice introduction to the world without feeling pointless like FE7 Lyn mode. The characters are generally good with a lot of fun dynamics like Owen and Sawyer, Owen and Elijah, Sawyer and Eagle, Stark and Grace, etc. Belle ends up being a bit one-dimensional but it's understandable given the circumstances she's dealing with. I really liked Seneca and Sebastian and hope they continue to have a big role in the story. Seneca reminds me of Ludveck but much more sympathetic and it seems that he's actually right about Belle's resistance harming Fortuita.

Even though only the first part is done, this hack looks very promising and I hope it continues to maintain this level of quality throughout.

Recently finished the hack (forgot to take screens of the chars because I'm a moron) but looking at the growths and such, I was wondering why Sofia was even an option. Maybe my Grace was just super lucky with her levels, but she was only two levels above Sofia but was much better almost across the board in stats, and Grace's growths are also superior. Are Myrmidon's just that great? I want to use all of Stark's merc and related crew but Sofia just seems so bad.

Also sorry for all the delays but we've been waiting on a lot of art and music assets that need to be in before release, as well as myself and other members of the dev team working during the week, which takes up a good amount of our energy that could be used to work on the game.

Lotta moving parts we're dealing with and I'd rather not deliver something half done, so it might be a bit longer until 2.0!

Eventing is probably 95% done, all the necessary portraits are in, we're waiting on a few more animations, some class cards, map sprites, music, skills and their icons, and map palettes.

Edited by InvdrZim13