Method for a more reliable 4-turn clear of Chapter 13 (HHM/no Lyn Mode)

ruadath

I've seen mentioned on both General Horace's and Espinosa's LTC playthroughs for this game that a 4 turn clear of Chapter 13 is possible if you don't play through LHM since Marcus starts at the front of your formation due to character order mechanics explained in this post.

However, they both claim that such a strategy relies on an unreliable Marcus critical with the Silver Lance. This is not entirely true, however. If you are willing to kill Rebecca off in Chapter 12, you end up with the following starting formation:

cSH3Y1G.png

This means while Marcus rescues Hector and charges south, Lowen can do the same with Matthew, dropping him off onto the fort (or somewhere nearby) at then end of turn 2. Guy will charge out to attack Marcus, but both of them can survive one round of combat (assuming Guy doesn't critical), and then on turn 3 Matthew can recruit Guy, who can then give his Killing Edge to Marcus. I'm sure you can figure out how the rest of the strategy plays out from here.

marcus needs a double KE crit to ORKO the boss

a double KE crit is less likely to happen than an iron axe (or silver lance) hit + crit

so any strategy that relies on a KE crit is less reliable than a strategy that relies on a non-KE crit. the only way to improve the reliability of such a strategy is to somehow do chip damage to boies so that marcus can KO with a KE hit + crit.

Edited by dondon151

Sure let us kill off units just to win turns... Why not use this strategy more often? Owh wait, now it starts to be like FE11...

In all honesty, I don't think Rebecca contributes much to an LTC run. However, if you're willing to discriminate against a different playstyle, then that's fair game!

It might actually be troublesome to get Rebecca killed off because she joins in a rout map, but idk, you do have 4 turns... Speaking of which, ruadath, you seem like just the person to try 3-turning chapter 12 by having Hector rig a bunch of crits against the northern units and bait the Fighter boss in order to critkill him, too.

It might actually be troublesome to get Rebecca killed off because she joins in a rout map, but idk, you do have 4 turns... Speaking of which, ruadath, you seem like just the person to try 3-turning chapter 12 by having Hector rig a bunch of crits against the northern units and bait the Fighter boss in order to critkill him, too.

I don't think there are enough crits that "naturally" appear in the RNG for the 3 turn clear to be possible; in my playthrough in the Ranked LTC, I never had to burn more than 2 RNs to get that playthrough to work out.

marcus needs a double KE crit to ORKO the boss

Dang it, I think you are right here... however, this is not true if Marcus can gain a level with a Str proc (assuming you skip the intro cutscenes, Boies has 31 HP with 14 DEF + 2 from the throne. Base Killing Edge!Marcus has 24 MT -1 due to WTD, but a level would change that. I suppose if you gave enough kills to Marcus in chapter 12 it might be possible?

Right, but perhaps a lot of kills in Chapter 12 plus the kills/battles he gets along the way to Boise? It's a stretch, but I'm not yet convinced it's impossible. By the way, IIRC he only gets 30 EXP from Zagan ORKO.

I think I once had Marcus level up just prior to killing the chapter 13 boss (after engaging him in one round of combat). So you can possibly arrange the level-up earlier if you keep Eliwood's army out of combat entirely in their first map, which could complicate the rout a little.

OK, so I think we've determined that the Marcus carrying Hector and then using a Silver Lance crit is probably still the best way to go about getting the 4 turn clear of the Chapter.

However, I should add that even rigging for the crit, this strategy can be dangerously unreliable due to the fact that roughly 10-15 enemy units get the chance to chip at Marcus (some of them multiple times) while he's carrying Hector toward the gate. In addition, it's very difficult to recruit Guy with this method for the same reason.

I have, however, figured out a way to make things much easier on Marcus; drop Hector into the southern portion of the river! With some appropriate strategic planning, doing this on turn 2 still gives Marcus enough time to ride around and get to the boss by turn 4, and it also ensures that Guy gets recruited by drawing him out early.