So what's with Derrick? (spoilers?)

Otherarrow

I admit, I know next to nothing about Berwick Saga's plot aside from the most basic of basics (evil empire, alliance of anti-empire countries, Lord is prince of small country fighting back, etc etc), so I might not get the significance of any potential reveals but...

...What's with Derrick? I mean, you have this faceless knight guy who barely talks, is apparently the worst unit in the game (doesn't he have a 0 defense growth or something dumb like that?), and from what I've seen is pretty much identical to the generic grunt armors in appearance.

So...is there any special reveal behind him? Is he just a joke character, a kinda "hey, you ever wanted to control one of those dumb generics"? I admit, looking through the character art and seeing a guy who is just clad head to toe in armor is a striking design at least, but still.

To further perk my interest, I recall stumbling on what I think was a beta roster which, among other things, included a beta Derrick who had a completely different design and class (in fact, I think his name and spot on the roster is the only resemblance to the final character at a glance).

There is no special reveal, but you if you pay attention you can figure out who he is at the end.

Hint: There is a reason why he doesn't show up in the main missions and why his recruitment requirements has Enid Class Change.

Still can't figure it out?

[spoiler=Derrick's True Identity is...]Almut, the guy who studies at the back of the Veria Temple and sometimes gives you stuff in the Library. You can call him the narrator of the game because the subtitle "Lazberia Chronicle Chapter 174" refers to the history textbook he wrote about the game's events.

Edited by Shrouded In Myth

I wouldn't have been able to figure it out. Most basics of basics, remember? :P I didn't even know of the spoilered character's existence.

Still, thanks! I admit, that is more intriguing a "secret identity" than I would have thought. Didn't see it coming, at least. And handling it subtly probably helps sell it better than a proper reveal would.