What do you like about Sacred Stones?

ruadath

Inspired somewhat by the thread in the general Fire Emblem forum, I ask this question because I've never been able to complete a playthrough of FE8. I've always found myself bored with the storyline, gameplay mechanics, etc. to finish the game.

In the hopes of doing so in the future, I would like to ask you guys to share things you love about the game that will hopefully allow me to change my views!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that visually it didn't almost at all improve from its prequels, Sacred Stones is my favorite of the three GBA Fire Emblem games, because I really like the fact that you can improve a lot your characters, even the weaker ones I could transform them into some powerful units. I really like the characters and it also have Ephraim, my favorite of them all Lords.

I really love the characters in FE8. In particular, it has some really interesting villains like Selena and Orson.

The game also feels more dramatic than other FE games I've played. The plot elements, music, art, etc. have a more serious tone.

It was my first FE game, so I will always love it. I suppose things I like about it the most are the characters, the story, the route split, the trainees and the maps. I also happen to like the support system in the GBA FE games the best.

Lute! She's my favorite character ever!

Even though I find the overall story a bit lacking, the characters fully make up for that in personality. And branching classes is pretty fun too, gives additional replay value (as if FE needs more of that).

All the Grado generals (Selena, Valter, etc) had really distinct and well written personalities, the cast is smaller than the average game which I liked since the supports we got were for the most part great, the promotion branches was also I think a good addition to the series. Even if difficulty was an issue, I think there were some excellently designed maps.

There were negatives, but overall it's a decent game.

I really dig the tone of this game, which is helped by what I consider the best of the GBA FE soundtracks.

I also like the villains in this game. The Grado generals, Orson, and Lyon are all memorable.

Branching promotions always earn bonus points from me.

I really love a lot of things in the game, the story is great, the gameplay is great, the maps are well-designed, and the characters are great, some of my favorites characters, Cormag and Tana, are from this game, and the twins are very well-written.

And Lyon is pretty much the embodiment of "The way to hell is paved with good intentions.".

You can't help but feel sorry for him, and at the same time you know that Lyon has no one to blame but himself.

Edited by Water Mage

Sacred Stones bothered to show that the 'bad guy', was a person too, with their own convictions and loyalties and unwavering devotion to a cause they didn't even know had been usurped. I enjoyed that, in my opinion at least, FE8 humanized the enemy a bit more than the others.

-The map, the route split and the battle maps and the musics

-Interesting characters (Lute, Marisa, L'arachel, Dozla, Rennac, the twins, Tana, Gerik, Tethys...), the supports, the branching promotion and the trainee (.... yeah I know x) )

-The villains : Serena, Orsin, Lyon, the relation between Joshua and Caellach and Cormag and Valter.

-My first FE :)

Well:

-The characters: I feel due to the small cast, many were able to be fleshed out more, even the villains, which is rarely done in FE.The only characters that bothered me were the main lords, which I felt IS wanted to just make look good.

-The story: The story is short yes, but it is concise and tells things that have to be told.While a lot of past events like the five heroes are still very unknown, we get a good feel for what Magvel is and the characters.

-Usability: Every character is good.While some need a bit of babying coughAmelia&Ewancough, they still can end up good and for the most part are all potential end game units.

-The music and other stuff that I don't really pay much attention to: What others have said basically.

It was also my first Fire Emblem game to because it came along as one of the free games 3DS ambassadors got :>

Not only did it introduce me to strategy/tactical RPGs in general, but I really enjoyed the characters and supports in this game because they left a huge impression on me. I especially liked how character who weren't romantically involved still got an ending with that character like BROS FOR LIFE and I really want that to come back.

This is probably because of how the characters were handled but, I didn't really have many OTPs in Awakening but I remember when I played Sacred Stones for the first time, I was alllllllllllllll over Seth/Eirika, Franz/Amelia and Artur/Lute (also I think Forde is really freakin attractive just saying).

It's a Fire Emblem game.

...That's actually kind of my only reason for liking this game. I can't think of anything specific that I think isn't done better by another game in the series, but it does everything well. And I think there's some value in that, too.

Despite it's simplicity, the characterization of everyone are very, very good. Same with the plot. Classic, yet good.
I also really love the branching promotions, I actually enjoyed redoing the game with different class just to see which was better.
Also, Ruin of Varda was fun !

Finally, Sachiko Wada. One of the best designer of the series IMO.

I liked:

-Good plot/characters by the standards of the series, particularly the villain cast as mentioned. Lyon is a great character, and I also like Valter and Orson a lot too.
-Branching promotions.
-A high level of polish: you can shop between chapters, no reinforcements acting the turn they appear, HM available on a fresh file, etc. It seems like almost every Fire Emblem screws something like this up, FE8... really doesn't.

It's not the most exceptional game in the series but it generally does most things pretty well at worst. My biggest issue with it is that NM sucks (they screwed up the stats for promoted enemies), but since NM is these days lower challenge than I like from FE, I don't actually care any more.

For the longest time Sacred Stones was my favourite Fire Emblem. It was just the most memorable for me. I remember each of the characters- their personality and relationships included. Not to mention it has my favourite character in the series, L'arachel (she always made me giggle). I know I am the only one on this one, but Eirika is my favourite lord in GBA series of games. She was relateable and I thought she was a good character (more interesting than Lyn atleast). Good villain, the maps were fun and it sometimes challenged me. I honestly think people give it too much hate for such silly reasons,

(Oh, and the map and recruitment themes; the music is one of best in the series IMO.)

The story. I really liked the main story and the tragedy of Lyon, I loved his relationship with Eirika and Ephraim and how it's all explored. I always feel genuinely sad when the end of the story comes and Lyon dies. Lyon is one of my favorite villains in the Fire Emblem series, he's so tragic. Then you have Selena, Glen, and Orson, and how they're all tragic and how they all play their parts in the main story. It all really feels very emotional. And then you have all the smaller parts of the story, you have Joshua's little story about being the missing prince of Jehanna, Cormag's stuff after Glen dies, Saleh and Myrrh's connections to the Darkling Woods, and everything else. I know that's all pretty minor, but I like it, and I feel that it makes it all more interesting.

The characters, I think they did an excellent job with all of them. Pretty much all of the supports are well-written and entertaining, I think the only one I really don't like is Lute's talks with Knoll. L'Arachel is very entertaining, Dozla is such an awesome and jolly fellow, Gerik and Saleh's past connection, Joshua's gambling, and on and on. Ephraim, Joshua, Dozla, and Eirika all rank among my favorite characters in the series.

The music. Honestly, this isn't my favorite soundtrack of the series, but it's still really good. The theme that plays every time there's a flashback is one of my favorites.

The gameplay. It's easy to learn, and fun to play. I will say that I like the branching paths for promoting units, however I generally always pick the same promotions. Splitting the path in the story, deciding if you want to take Eirika's route or Ephraim's is cool, although I am slightly disappointed that you'll completely miss Joshua's story if you take Ephraim's route. But, at the same time, you'll miss Selena's tragic ending if you take Eirika's. I also really like the designs of each level, each one feels right for the game. The battle animations are beautiful as well, I've always thought that the GBA games have the best battle animations.

The characters, which are about the only thing that stands out in Sacred Stones imho (personally, I really like Joshua, L'arachel, and a few others; but of course, for every character I like, there's some I also dislike, with Lyon being at, or at least near, the top of the list). And branched promotions, I guess.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Here are my true endings for the characters:

Ephraim/Tana

Seth/Eirika

Kyle/Forde

Franz/Amelia (my favorite pairing in the game)

Garcia/Ross

Colm/Neimi

Artur/Lute

Innes/Vanessa

Gilliam/Syrene

Joshua/Natasha

Gerik/Marisa

Saleh/Myrrh

Dozla/L'Arachel

This game has my favorite cast in the whole series and I personally like that it's a short one because quality beats quantity and I definitely feel it beats the cast of Blazing Sword. The only character I felt to be bland/uninteresting was Moulder and I still to this day don't know why he was chosen over Joshua as a Awakening spotpass character. I also really enjoyed the ending to this game because it was bittersweet and Lyon ended up becoming my most memorable favorite villain in the series given his insecurities in that he had hidden envy for Ephraim and hidden love for Eirika. He was just very human and if it were any other story he probably would have been the hero who ends up growing as a character diminishing those insecurities of feeling so inferior. Aside from Lyon I also felt sad for Selena, Glen, Orson and Carlyle (whose situation I feel like could have ended up being a possible scenario at least in some form for Seth because of his feelings for Eirika had he not told her in their A support). Valter is another one of my favorite villains because of his lust for keeping the war going on (I swear Ashnard got some of his character from him), but learning about how he ended up becoming corrupted from Duessel and Cormag's supports was interesting (again the Lehran's Medallion reminds me a bit of Duessel's family cursed lance though the latter just brought out the evil in Valter completely). Lastly I enjoyed the character development for the Renais twins considering they lacked something the other had and Eirika doesn't suffer from losing relevancy like Lyn (or rather like most female lords) did if you do her route over Ephraim's route.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova

It was beginner-friendly, introduced class splits in promotions to the GBA series, and has a main lord that wields a lance and doesn't start with a horse. I liked the multiple trainees, the small secrets (like Joshua's true identity), the music, and all of the characters really expressed their personalities. It also introduced Dragons that didn't look like they were falling off of the screen every time, and as weird as it may sound, I liked the fact that the animations were relatively more realistic and "logical," if that's the right word to use (looking at a certain Zephiel and Ereshkigal).