What do you like about Sacred Stones?

ruadath

Everyone can be viable if you work them. There's no truly useless character. If you grind up Amelia, she'll be good. Eirika, she'll be good. Tana? She'll be good. I like that. It lets me pick my favorites instead of needing to use a character because they have the stats I need to win.

Also, I loved the monsters. I know they were taken from Gaiden, but I didn't like Gaiden, and it felt really good to see more variety in the monsters. I just wish there was a non-hacking/glitching way to play as them. I liked the Risen, haven't played enough Fates to get to the monsters. I wish there were more non-humans in the games as a whole. Laguz and Manaketes are awesome, and I need a Mauthe Doog dangit! The only thing I hated about the monsters was the Baels, as I am a bit of an arachnophobe.

Edited by PelicanOfDeath
And another thing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

While I know it is probably not the best FE game objectively, it is still my favourite for some reason. It has an unexplainable charm. The writing is not that strong, but I can't help to feel attached to the setting and characters. The color palette used throughout the game created an interesting, unique atmosphere. I also found that most villains were quite memorable. Apart from a few early game baddies like Bone, Zonta and Murray, most human bosses felt like actual distinct characters, rather that just some unit with a name and a portrait, as was often the case in FE7, even when they only appeared for one chapter. Caellach is one of my favourite villains in the series, and more nuanced than he initially seems, I believe. And Lyon was just a perfect tragic villain, IMO. Really felt something for him.

I thought the branching promotions was a step in the right direction for the series, as it allowed for more customization (and I like that Summoner class :Knoll:, and I want it to make some comeback as a non-Izuka-exclusive class), while still preserving a character's uniqueness. Even though I rarely grind (I almost only do it to bring trainees to tier 1), I thought it was a great option, as it made any unit worth investing time into (unlike, say, Nino, who would, at best, be a good unit for one or two chapters at most). And the existence of the post-game dungeons only adds to that.

Though it is probably the easiest FE, it still provides (at least on Hard Mode) a relatively decent challenge if one doesn't abuse grinding. I feel that some people here exaggerate the game's lack of difficulty.

I also like that it is quite short, and that there are relatively few characters, as it makes it easier to get all the support conversations, and to know them all quite well. It is probably my favourite cast in the series (though I don't like the two lords that much, not that I hate them, they're just okay I guess).

Despite the GBA's bad sound quality, I really enjoy the soundtrack of the game. Again, it is a relatively short one, but the tracks are all to the point. (I really like Lyon's theme, it already felt like nostalgia the first time I heard it)

Nowadays, it may feel like a prototype for Awakening, but while Awakening is indeed an amazing game and possibly objectively better and more complete than Sacred Stones, it doesn't hold that warm and special place in my heart.

• 3 months later...

Seth. That is all.

Fine but... Seth, yeah.

ANYWAY! The creatures I guess though I wish they played a bigger role than just in the very last chapters. I honestly could not enjoy the story very much because some characters seemed more braindead than FE games usually have, lmao :D

I felt like too much of the story suffered due to its condensed nature and split paths. Still, there is a lot of charm about the game and has probably the best soundtrack of the GBA games.

Branching promotions as well. They add some extra utility and "builds." 

Overall, this hidden feeling tells me the game could have been much better and missed its potential in key areas.

• 7 months later...

Let's see what makes TSS my favorit game of the franchise:

• branching promotions
  • splitted paths
  • skirmishes
  • traversable world map
  • expanded secret shops
  • it's support conversations
  • the cast
  • dual protagonists
  • villains
  • replayability
  • music
  • art directon & design
  • post game: creature campaign, tower of valni, lagdou ruins, unlockable npc's & bosses

These and probably some more aspects I missed, make TSS to most appealing to me. I recommend everyone to give TSS a try, especially to the newcomers (as it's also very beginner-friendly).

• 4 weeks later...

Cormag. 

Okay, but in all seriousness... I know SS isn't the best, but to me it's up there. Everything about SS was amazing... plot, characters, classes, even the maps were fun. I could probably write an entire essay but I'm lazy right now, lol. Definitely my favorite Fire Emblem to date.

• 3 weeks later...

The relationships and personalities of the characters were definitely pleasing. The main story and supports just made playing the game have more feeling than the other supports in older FEs. Call me weird but, my favorite thing of the game was definitely the Creature Campaign. Raging through Lagdou ruins and Tower of Valni was epic and satisfying.

Gameplay-wise, the branched promotions are great and I love the map design. Many people would say that it's too easy but I find that Ephraim Hard Mode without grinding is a decent challenge (I'm not too great at the game though, so take that with a grain of salt). As for characters, I've always found myself enjoying the characters in Sacred Stones more than the characters from the other games. Seth, Ephraim, Joshua, Lute and Garcia are some of my favourite characters in the series, and Moulder holds a special place in my heart. It being the first GBA FE I've played also might have something to do with it. All in all, it provides a nice gateway to the older FE games if you started with the 3DS games like I did.

• 2 weeks later...

The story of Sacred Stones was very compelling, especially with the split in narrative a ways through. The new promotions (at least to the GBA titles) such as Great Knight and Ranger were really cool to see when playing the game after Awakening. Ephraim was also a breath of fresh air from the plethora of Sword-using Lords, being the only lord I know of to primarily use Lances.

• 2 months later...

It has to be all the grey in the story. I love when one side isn't a clear "good guy" over the other. You could play the game from the perspective of some of the Grado generals and it would still be a great story where you cared for all the characters. There are still obvious evil characters in the game, but the most egregious examples, like Valter, have some back story leading to that point. In Valter's case, unknowingly using Duessel's cursed lance.

I just love the story. One that makes me think is a success in my opinion. It helps that Sacred Stones has a great roster of characters.

It's a shame we don't get more of this type of storytelling. Mustafa in Awakening is a great example of that type of character. Wish we'd see the writers work with that kind of storytelling a bit more. Though I will give credit to the support conversation between Henry and Ricken. That was a good one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...