[solved] Getting FE5 to work with Nightmare

Alusq

I apologise if this is commonly known, but I couldn't find anything relevant in FEU's or SF's search.
I want to mess around with FE5 and make some Nightmare edits and such using the SNES Nightmare modules, but several numbers in Nightmare show up as 100s or some other obviously-wrong thing. If I change anything in Nightmare, the emulator doesn't load the rom (bad checksum; SRAM corrupt). Is there a specific version of FE5 that is required to be used with Nightmare? Does it need no translation or a specific translation, or a header? I've tried it translated and untranslated, headered and unheadered, as well as applying the header before the translation or vice versa.

Again, sorry if I'm being stupid and missing something, which is very likely the case, but having to ask stupid questions is just the way it goes sometimes. I looked in the Nightmare doc and found nothing (it's mostly GBA-centric anyway). Is there some fix that I need to make to the rom to get it to a mod-able state?

Edited by Alusq

The modules don't give any clues, from what I can tell (the title bars of the windows and .txt files with the contents of the dropdown lists).

Before I bite the bullet and find another version of the game some other way, would there happen to be a patch out there that changes a common rom to have the same information as an NP or vrom one?

Edited by Alusq

I've had problems using Nightmare with headered SNES roms. Try using unheadered roms only. If the numbers look wrong, subtract 0x200 from the address in the nightmare module.

This did the trick. Thanks very much! ^É‘^

(for the record, using Nightmare with a headered rom still didn't work, whether I add or subtract 0x200 or leave the modules untouched.)

• 4 weeks later...

Edit the .nmm files using Notepad and subtract 200 from all of the addresses within. For example, the FE5 character editor has 0x31C2D near the beginning, so you have to change that to 0x31A2D. Do this with all of the .nmms and it should work.

Edited by Alusq

Edit the .nmm files using Notepad and subtract 200 from all of the addresses within. For example, the FE5 character editor has 0x31C2D near the beginning, so you have to change that to 0x31A2D. Do this with all of the .nmms and it should work.

Good to know. I ended up solving the problem by adding a header to my ROM though. However for some reason Arena Class Editor 2 isn't working, even though the other two Arena Class Editors work just fine. Whenever I try to load it it gives me an error and says a dropbox style element's list of vales could not be opened? Can anyone help me fix this? Or at least just tell me what the data in Arena Class Editor 2 is, because I wasn't actually going to edit anything, just check what classes appear in the arena.