Drafting Tournaments Explained: Redux

SB.

Mental note to Horace that i've updated all clears up to this point, including slackers who didn't report clears here, you can't escape from me!

Sadist draft has a surprising amount of clears, and actually drafts in general seem to have a higher completion rate this time around, woo.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think that you should be forced to say "No" to the options of going to 23x/28x in FE7 drafts? Free turns in any game are pretty dumb, and FE7 already has lots of them.

I believe Jaffar is still recruited if you don't visit 28x (you obviously still have to talk with Nino) but i'm honestly not 100% sure. After trying a draft with notfree!28x I don't think it's a good idea either, and 23x's requirements could potentially cost you turns.

Edited by General Horace

Nino has like 10 turns in the previous chapter and still has denning's chapter. More chapters merely to just gain exp free of penalty are kind of lame imo. Making 28x free to train lame characters like Nino doesn't really make them any more valuable anyway.

Edited by General Horace

True, genesis and night of farewells are like bonus chapters for the player.

What was the initial criteria to make 28x free, after all? Making it not free will be punishing though.

Edited by Quintessence

I dunno why it was free in the first place, it makes more sense just to skip the chapter outright since it's unfair if played normally since you need a flier to remain competitive in it. None of the other gaiden chapters really deserve to be skipped since you get Merlinus (the early chapters really suck with him existing, and you can't buy very much in Lyn's join chapter), 19x is a fine chapter normally, 23x can be detrimental to your tc, and battle preparation technically has Karla (as valuable as she is).

I wouldn't really normally have a problem with it normally, but FE7 already has so many free chapters (especially around 28x).

Maybe people thought you had to visit it to recruit Jaffar?

Edited by General Horace

I'm indifferent with it. Imo, forcing people to nit play is not a good option since it is unfair for people who want to play it for whatever reason.

Imo the two options left are:

Forcing players to play it with turns adding to the final TC will ve punishing only for a drafter without a flier, which is only one because the rest will take Florina, Fiora, Heath and Farina, and all of them will be competent enough to withstand HNM enemies and Sonia's Bolting. The other player will have to sort the chapter with Boots Hawkeye or Dart because Paladins are not a wise option. I don't remember the turns the paths appear though.

And the other option is leaving it free.

I guess I'm fine with whatever option.

FE6 Reverse Recruitment Draft completed in 124 Turns.

El Team:

Zeiss, Sophia, Clarine, Chad, Klein, Lance, Wolt, Geese, Ward

Outside of Zeiss and Clarine, I don't think I made very good picks overall. Although pretty much all of the good units were gone by the time I got to pick again, so eh.

Double Dancers hurt my brain; I probably lost a few turns due to not utilizing them as effectively as I could have.

Finished the second half of the Book 1 + Book 2 draft in 131 turns.

It's saying I need permission to edit, rude.

Horace's clear should also be 132 turns because he can't add.

Edited by Baldo Scroll

ha, I am the best mod, the drafting google docs mod noone shall steal my title

although that's twice you've beaten me by like a turn or 2, all the rage

I probably could have killed medeus faster if I killed the priestess's but I felt bad wanted to give Sheema the bosskill

updated everything, but the reverse recruitment draft actually never finished drafting their worthless units so I only posted the units they actually picked.

Edited by General Horace

FE6 drafts always have leftover units that just remain undrafted in the end. I basically just c/p'd the standard rules which leaves 3 units undrafted.

I don't think it actually worked out too well though tbh. You get two dancers, a flier and an OP bosskiller for free which is pretty much all you need to get the minimum turncounts. Unless somebody intentionally wastes turns by going shopping or to the arena the turncounts from about 8x onward are pretty much identical for most players because Karel gets ferried by Yuno who gets double danced and then Karel kills the boss and seizes on either turn 2 or 3. If FE6 RR drafts actually become a thing I'd definitely recommend some change in the rules.

Having a non-Yuno flier is pretty nice since they become better than Yuno rather quickly, and if one your fliers is carrying Karel, then you'll need another one to buy boots in Chapter 21. Besides that, I believe you need the Rescue Staff to 2-turn Chapter 17S, which only Clarine and Ellen (I forget if Saul reaches A Staves after promotion. He still costs a turn though.) can use at that point given the speed at which chapters are completed (there's no hope for Yodel and Cecilia to hit A Staves). Having more mounted units for Chapter 22 is also helpful; I'm pretty sure having Lance saved a turn for me there (Although after thinking about it some more, I think Yuno could have done what lance did). Zeiss and Milady are also the only ones who have a high enough strength cap to ORKO Zephiel, so they're pretty important picks as well. Karel could kill Zephiel with a Silver Sword or Durandal, but Karel can't open the door, kill Zephiel, and seize all in the same turn unless Lalum/Elphin have used a bunch of boots and were next to Karel when he opened the door to begin with, and they just don't have any time to use more than 1 pair of boots each at the most.

Douglas makes it easier to feed soldiers to Karel in the early-game, so he's totally worth drafting as well.

Edited by Carmine Sword

Rescue Staff is B-Rank so Cecilia can use it as well.

I still think it should be tweaked though. Chapter 8x - 21 will have nearly identical turncounts for just about everybody except 17S. I'm not sure yet how it'll work after that but I think that's already too much. Just my opinion though.

I think that having a dancer would save more turns than Warp given how early the dancers show up in Reverse Recruitment, so it seems like the people who didn't get the dancers (probably 3rd, 4th, and 5th picks) would just auto-lose due to how many extra turns they'd have to take.

although that's twice you've beaten me by like a turn or 2, all the rage

I probably could have killed medeus faster if I killed the priestess's but I felt bad wanted to give Sheema the bosskill

That's because you finished first so I knew exactly how many turns I needed to win

Tbh, FE3 is such an easy game that as long as you have a well-rounded team there's a very small margin for error. A 2-turn clear with 1 Again is definitely possible, it's the same as a 1-turn with 2 Again except you end turn instead of using Again again.

Yeah I think the only reason I took three turns was I wanted the sheema gradivus bosskill but it wasn't worth it.

I think Yumina and her rescue staff might be hax, but I dunno if Refa will actually finish. It probably saves enough turns in the stupid desert chapter slog to warrent being free or banned.