Drafting Tournaments Explained: Redux

SB.

I'LL FINISH

EDIT I'm recording videos for the chapters which is why I've stalled out (unlike the FE4 draft where I legitimately have no excuse).

Edited by Refa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE10 is a bad game.

Hey.

On the topic of 23x and 28x, they were made free back then because we were trying to reduce the dominance that flying units were having in many games. FE9 was just a race between the person who got Marcia vs. the person who got Jill, even after we limited the amount of BEXP you could pump into them. We had to just flat out ban Haar in FE10, and tried a bunch of different ideas to make Vanessa (and Franz) not as OP in FE8. We were trying to prevent something similar from happening in FE7, as well.

23x is more of a grey area, but there were concerns that someone without a flier would not be able to draw enough enemies away from Pent to satisfy the EXP requirement while still finishing quickly. This becomes especially difficult if they also don't have Serra or Priscilla. In addition, we didn't want to force people to go to Genesis if they were worried their team couldn't handle it. 28x was solely because of the massive advantage flying units have in this chapter (we knew that Jaffar joined regardless). We didn't want to force people to skip these chapters because they both contain unique and useful items that some teams would want (Berserk, Fell Contract, and Speedwings are the big ones, I think).

With these changes, fliers were still good, but units like Pent, Priscilla, Cavaliers, etc. were desirable picks as well. I've been away for a while though, so some of these arguments may not be as relevant now as they were back then.

"Bad game" sounds much like it could be an objective statement, while "FE12 sucks" sounds very personal taste-based, I doubt that's a coincidence.

Anyway, wrt the 23x/28x thingy, I don't care much really, but maybe we could try to make Night of Farewells disallowed to enter because it's just an extra defense map (pretty much) and Genesis optional and limited to 10 turns or something, because the stuff you get from spending ~10 turns there isn't unjustifiably huge (like a bit of extra exp/wexp and the unique berserk staff), I think it might be worth keeping allowed as a reward for meeting the exp requirement which is actually kind of hard.

Edited by Gradivus.

Anyway, wrt the 23x/28x thingy, I don't care much really, but maybe we could try to make Night of Farewells disallowed to enter because it's just an extra defense map (pretty much) and Genesis optional and limited to 10 turns or something, because the stuff you get from spending ~10 turns there isn't unjustifiably huge (like a bit of extra exp/wexp and the unique berserk staff), I think it might be worth keeping allowed as a reward for meeting the exp requirement which is actually kind of hard.

If it wasn't for the fact that there's a unique promotion item and a really good stat booster in Night of Farewells, I'd agree. I happen to be fond of assassins, and someone on my team could always use the Speedwings.

If it wasn't for the fact that there's a unique promotion item and a really good stat booster in Night of Farewells, I'd agree. I happen to be fond of assassins, and someone on my team could always use the Speedwings.

I had forgotten about the Fell Contract, and IIRC the only other time to get them is Limstella's Chapter? Yeah that makes sense now, no need to ban it.

There's also a really good statbooster in 19xx but noone complains about that one

Edited by General Horace

But the promotion bonuses for Assassin suck, so who cares about the Fell Contract? :Kappa:

BUT I WANT MY MAX STRENGTH LEGAULT! :P:

Throw an assassin with a bunch of killing edges into the fray, and watch things die.

And Kishuna's other name is Airman :P:

I forgot about the fell contract too, it never came in handy for me haha.

EDIT: @Quint: It's more that Genesis is team-reliant, some teams aren't good enough to do it in less than 2-3 turns but are low-levelled enough to get 700 exp, it is pretty possible in 4-5 turns. It's more of a compensation for an underwhelming team in the desert than a reward though, I guess.

Edited by Gradivus.

I had forgotten about the Fell Contract, and IIRC the only other time to get them is Limstella's Chapter? Yeah that makes sense now, no need to ban it.

There's also a really good statbooster in 19xx but noone complains about that one

I have no issue on forcing lhm and lv 7 Nils.

I'm being serious

Did #58314 [FE6] Reverse Recruitment draft in 106 turns.

EDIT: Maybe disallow the dancers to dance for each other in FE6RR? This puts more focus on extra mounts (case in point: Shin, depite having very good combat, only really contributed in like 8-9 out of the 24 chapters he exists in) since you need to drop the dancers ahead, the maps are less short turnswise and having a non-Karel bosskiller becomes more valuable. Thoughts?

Edited by Gradivus.

Or just have Lalum or Elphin free and the other banned? Part of the draw of FE6rr is double dancers though so it takes away from that.

I'll try to see what hacking Nils's level to 7 does WRT 19xx sometime soon, if it works it might be fun to just have a patch that does that so we can get an extra chapter in that actually matters (and it has some reasonably tough enemies too, IIRC the wyverns there are stronger than the Chapter 21 ones.)

I think both Dancers should be legal. It's pretty much what makes FE6RR such a fun hack though dancers being disallowed from refreshing one another is definitely something worth considering.

I may not be thinking outside the box enough, but what exactly does having the dancers refresh themselves constantly accomplish? Yeah, they can go anywhere on the map, but what are they doing once they're there?

They can:

- drop off combat units (Elphin has 8 con with a body ring, which allows him to take + dance chain + drop/give (almost?) all rescue staffers, unpromoted nomads, falcoknights and random infantry units that can just pick up treasure) over the whole map within one turn; a second body ring let him ferry Karel to someone else or just to the throne immediately.

- give a unit a guaranteed dance, no matter how far they're away; e.g. Yuno can get two dances on the first turn and a third on turn 2 in C8x, for free, when it usually would've been one dance total, or two at best with significant support. This makes the pace of the clears so fast that other units have trouble keeping up, and end up being negligible for most chapters.

- give Karel a dance after he kills a boss so that him doing the kill doesn't cost turns, which devalues other bosskillers, since Karel is perfect at it past ~chapter 8.

Edited by Gradivus.

• 2 weeks later...

[FE7] HNM Draft CXV

Espemon333: Florina, Pent, Oswin, Raven, Isadora, Lyn, Legault, Louise, Renault
Gradivus.: Kent, Rath, Eliwood, Bartre/Karla, Dart, Lucius, Farina, Jaffar. Geitz/Wallace - 151 turns
ZM.: Fiora, Sain, Priscilla, Dorcas, Rebecca, Hawkeye, Vaida, Nino, Harken
*General Horace: Heath, Lowen, Erk, Matthew, Serra, Canas, Wil, Guy, Karel - 140 turns

Edited by Gradivus.

submitted

Spoiler

[FE12 H3] The one where the free silvers get good, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/58764-fe12-h3-the-one-where-the-free-silvers-get-good/

Icemario: Catria, Caeda, Draug, Minerva, Merric, Roger, Leiden, Katarina, Jake, Maris, Dolph, Sheema, Samson, Midia, Roshea, Wolf
eclipse: Luke, Ogma, Linde, Wendell, Frey, Castor, Jeorge, Wrys, Tiki, Michalis, Athena, Yubello, Frost, Radd, Abel, Sedgar
Irysa: Cecille, Ryan, Etzel, Cain, Cord, Barst, Belf, Warren, Norne, Macellan, Astram, Beck, Matthis, Samto, Bantu, Tomas
*Gradivus.: Sirius, Rody, Gordin, Navarre, Elrean, Yumina, Horace, Nagi, Darros, Dice, Est, Ymir, Robert, Caesar, Vyland, Bord - 138 turns

FE6 randomized draft, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/58617-fe6-randomized-draft/

*Gradivus.: Mercenary!Roy, Druid!Marcus, Bard!Shin + Nomad!Lugh, Wyvern Rider!Noah, Fighter!Lance, Cleric!Wolt, Dancer!Zeiss, Lord!Saul, Thief!Barth, Sniper!Dayan, Sage!Karel, Berserker!Bartre - 157 turns
fireemblemcai: Shaman!Roy, mManakete!Marcus, Bard!Bors + Nomad!Chad, Mage!Miledy, Wyvern Rider!Treck, Cavalier!Ward, Cleric!Gonzales, Bard!Astore, Cavalier!Hugh, General!Douglas, Nomad Trooper!Fa, Mercenary!Lalum
TempestStorm: Knight!Roy, Nomad Trooper!Marcus, Bard!Ray + Wyvern Rider!Alan, Falcoknight!Zealot, Archer!Lot, Pegasus Knight!Dorothy, Hero!Igrene, Myrmidon!Wendy, Shaman!Clarine, Thief!Elphin, Druid!Yuno, Nomad!Cath
Irysa: Shaman!Roy, Hero!Marcus, Troubadour!Alan + Cavalier!Dieck, Pegasus Knight!Ellen, Nomad!Shanna, Wyvern Rider!Ray, Druid!Percival, Pirate!Bors, Wyvern Rider!Fir, Falcoknight!Yodel, Valkyrie!Niime, Pirate!Tate
Sniper Knight: Archer!Roy, Warrior!Marcus, Dancer!Ellen + Wyvern Rider!Oujay, Druid!Klein, Cavalier!Geese, Mage!Rutger, Falcoknight!Echidna, Wyvern Lord!Cecilia, Dancer!Lilina, Myrmidon!Sue, Nomad Trooper!Garret, Pegasus Knight!Sophia

FE8 randomized draft, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/59284-fe8-randomized-draft/

Paradigm: Pirate!Eirika, Great Knight!Seth, Mauthe Doog!Ephraim, Sniper!Orson + Dancer!Ross, Wyvern Rider!Forde, Priest!Artur, Mogall!Vanessa, Wyvern Rider!Amelia, Shaman!Tana, Eir Lord!L'Arachel - 99 turns

*Gradivus.: Pupil!Eirika, Eph Great Lord!Seth, Eir Lord!Ephraim, General!Orson + Wyvern Rider!Gilliam, Cavalier!Colm, Bishop!Saleh, Tarvos!Garcia, Sniper!Dozla, Arch Mogall!Myrrh, Thief!Tethys - 114 turns

eclipse: Wyvern Rider!Eirika, Manakete!Seth, Mogall!Ephraim, Cyclops!Orson + Dancer!Neimi, Monk!Moulder, Myrmidon!Kyle, Soldier!Natasha, Pupil!Joshua, Summoner!Rennac, Paladin!Syrene

Zerosabers: Pupil!Eirika, Gwyllgi!Seth, Bonewalker!Ephraim, Mage Knight!Orson + Wyvern Rider!Franz, Cleric!Lute, Eir Great Lord!Innes, Archer!Gerik, Falcoknight!Duessel, Myrmidon!Marisa, Pegasus Knight!Cormag

FE7 ENM randomized draft, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/59513-fe7-enm-randomized-draft/

eclipse: Nomad!Eliwood, Great Lord!Marcus + Pegasus Knight!Dorcas, Mage!Bartre, Pegasus Knight!Canas, Fighter!Erk, Troubadour!Raven, Lyn Lord!Guy, Sage!Wallace/Bishop!Geitz

Nobody: Nomad!Eliwood, Assassin!Marcus, Dancer!Oswin + Wyvern Rider!Lowen, Mage!Serra, Cavalier!Dart, Pirate!Fiora, Mercenary!Kent, Dancer!Nino, Pirate!Rath

Ozarhok: Shaman!Eliwood, Swordmaster!Marcus, Dancer!Rebecca + Wyvern Rider!Lyn, Cavalier!Matthew, Shaman!Hector, Sage!Louise, Cavalier!Lucius, Pirate!Heath, Nomad Trooper!Karel

King Marth: ?Eliwood, ?Marcus, ?refresher + Wyvern Rider!Florina, Pegasus Knight!Oswin, Mage!Wil, Nomad!Sain, Wyvern Lord!Pent, Monk!Legault, ?Ninian

*Gradivus.: Cavalier!Eliwood, Blade Lord!Marcus + Cavalier!Priscilla, Wyvern Lord!Hawkeye, Shaman!Rebecca, Sage!Jaffar, Wyvern Lord!Vaida, Hero!Isadora, Falcoknight!Renault - 139 turns

FE8 Ephraim Mode Reverse Recruitment Draft, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/59681-fe8-ephraim-mode-reverse-recruitment-draft/

*General Horace: Saleh, Innes, Duessel, Vanessa, Ross, Garcia, Lute

Gradivus.: Ewan, Gerik, Dozla, Joshua, L'Arachel, Gilliam, Eirika - 90 turns

Doofina: Cormag, Artur, Orson, Rennac, Forde, Ephraim, Colm

Icemario: Tana, Knoll, Natasha, Marisa, Moulder, Franz, Neimi

[FE6 randomized] The one where you can snipe, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/62865-fe6-randomized-the-one-where-you-can-snipe/

MagicIsOP: Nomad!Roy, Sage!Marcus + Shaman!Dieck, Wyvern Rider!Wolt, Dancer!Thany, Hero!Zealot, Bishop!Fa, Peg Knight!Clarine, Thief!Rutger, Soldier!Barth, Dancer!Shin, Sniper!Bartre

Carmine Sword: Cavalier!Roy, Nomad Trooper!Marcus + Wyvern Rider!Ward, Bard!Bors, Cleric!Chad, Thief!Lugh, Cavalier!Saul, Bishop!Yuno, Nomad!Wendy, Bard!Oujay, Swordmaster!Niime, Mercenary!Sophia - 145 turns

General Horace: Shaman!Roy, Hero!Marcus + Wyvern Rider!Alan, Bard!Ray, Peg Knight!Sue, Paladin!Klein, Troubadour!Geese, Cavalier!Gonzales, Bishop!Igrene, Wyvern Rider!Miledy, Dancer!Zeiss, Druid!Dayan

Tricky Drick: Archer!Roy, Sage!Marcus + Cavalier!Ellen, Dancer!Lot, Falcoknight!Percival, Wyvern Lord!Echidna, Brigand!Lilina, Archer!Astol, Shaman!Lalum, General!Douglas, Nomad Trooper!Karel, Troubadour!Cath - 199 turns

*Gradivus.: Nomad!Roy, Druid!Marcus + Wyvern Rider!Lance, Priest!Dorothy, Dancer!Tate, Sage!Cecilia, Nomad!Noah, Dancer!Treck, Nomad Trooper!Yodel, Thief!Fir, Dancer!Hugh, Valkyrie!Garret - 158 turns

[FE7] Ultra Sadistic ENM Draft: La Tercera, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/63227-fe7-ultra-sadistic-enm-draft-la-tercera/

Quintessence: Lucius, Raven

Horace: Erk, Dorcas - 159 turns

Baldrick: Hector, Nino - 169 turns

Paradigm: Bartre, Lyn

MagicisOP: Canas, Wil

Gradivus.: Oswin, Serra - 182 turns

Zerosabers: Pent, Guy - 291 turns

*Carmine Sword: Rebecca, Hawkeye - 177 turns

Eclipse: Matthew, Dart

[FE7] Ultra Sadistic ENM Draft: In spirit of Vier, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/65506-fe7-ultra-sadistic-enm-draft-in-spirit-of-vier/

NJ7009: Hector, Karel
Excellen Browning: Erk, Louise
TempestStorm: Oswin, Jaffar
Ozarhok: Bartre, Wallace
Ciarre: Lucius, Nino
FiboSai: Dorcas, Harken
Jedi: Canas, Legault
FireLeafRuby: Guy, Hawkeye
Carmine Sword: Pent, Matthew - 160 turns
gabethegreen: Dart, Lyn
chococoke: Raven, Wil
*Peppy: Rebecca, Serra - 165 turns

[FE6] Sadist Draft: These Boots are Made for Walking, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/66111-fe6-sadist-draft-these-boots-are-made-for-walking/

*Carmine Sword: Dieck, Barth, Niime - 250 turns
Jedi: Lugh, Echidna/Bartre, Igrene
Quintessence: Ward, Klein, Hugh
Peppy: Lott, Ellen, Garret
Gradivus.: Rutger, Oujay, Yodel - 261 turns
TempestStorm: Geese, Bors, Chad
FiboSai: Lilina, Wolt, Sophia
Eclipse: Gonzales, Astohl, Douglas
SniperKnight: Fir, Saul, Cath
YomuSabe: Ray, Dorothy, Karel

[FE8] Experimental picking order draft

Done in 130 turns.

[FE12] H1 SOYO: Game Over: Return of Medeus, https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/70572-fe12-h1-soyo-game-over-return-of-medeus/

Gradivus: Archer Female MU + Sorcerer!Michalis, General!Sedgar, Sage!Ymir, Sniper!Sheema, Berserker!Beck, Berserker!Abel, Knight!Elrean, Myrmidon!Malicia, Paladin!Etzel, Paladin!Jake, Mercenary!Castor, Dark Mage!Leiden, Mercenary!Warren, Hunter!Frey, Fighter!Gordin - 145 turns

Donnel: Myrmidon Female MU + Wyvern Lord!Wolf, Berserker!Vyland, Sorcerer!Asstram, Cavalier!Bord, Knight!Dice, Cleric!Est, Mage!Athena, Sniper!Samson, Wyvern Lord!Norne, Archer!Radd, Dark Mage!Cord, Cavalier!Maris, Myrmidon!Barst, Myrmidon!Caeda, Warrior!Sirius

Finalinsanity: Knight Male MU + Sniper!DA POPE, Wyvern Lord!Frost, Myrmidon!WRYS, Sorcerer!Dolph, Falcon Knight!Linde, Archer!Samto, Cavalier!Yubello, Cleric!Luke, Swordmaster!Jeorge, Mage!Cain, Dark Mage!Roger, Hunter!Caesar, Sage!Minerva, Pirate!Ryan, Fighter!Rody

*Carmine Sword: Knight Male MU + Wyvern Lord!Tomas, Sage!Roshea, Bishop!Midia, Cavalier!Matthis, Sorcerer!Macellen, General!Katarina, Myrmidon!Yumina, Sage!Robert, Cleric!Belf, Cavalier!Merric, Sorcerer!Darros, Horseman!Horace, Archer!Navarre, Fighter!Ogma, Fighter!Draug - 156 turns

Edited by Gradivus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[FE14 Conquest] Who would be interested in trying an FE14 draft for conquest route?

Ownagepuffs: Arthur, Leo, Pieri, Felicia, Flannel, Izana
Peppy*: Silas, Effie, Elise, Niles, Charlotte, Dia
Gwimpage: Xander, Beruka, Kaze, Mozu, Shigure, Benoit
Shephen: Selena, Odin, Nyx, Lazwald, Asyura, Flora