SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

The Inquisition!  Let's begin!  The Inquisition!  Look out sin!  We're on a mission!  To convert the Jeeeeeeeeeews!!  (Jew ja Jew ja Jew ja Jews)

Oh a different kind.  This is a pretty cool concept.

47 minutes ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

1. General impressions of me? As in, first and current?

2. What got you into writing what you do?

3. Reaction to you, me, and @Nym making the Fact for Person Above thread a hot topic?

4. How’s the weather?

5. Can we ask more than 5 questions?

1.  Same as the first impressions, you seem like a pretty cool dude who just has a lot of free time on his hands.  Although I haven't exactly made much of an effort to really "get to know" anybody on here other than just participating on forum games so I'm not sure if those impressions could change over time.

2.  If by that you mean my fanfiction, I can actually trace where it all began to 2003, when Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade came out in the U.S.  I really wanted to have an idea of what a marriage between Eliwood and Lyndis would be like alongside what was already in the game and I ended up discovering the concept of fanfiction on Fanfiction.net.  At the time I really liked the idea of people using preestablished universes and adding an additional layer of depth to them.  As you might be able to tell, I was really interested in the idea of "shipping" at the time and I even learned a lot of terms like "lemon", "yaoi", "slash", and "yuri" by reading them myself.

As you might be able to tell, reading a lot of fanfiction was what helped me decide the type of stories that I wanted to make back then and I was really interested in exploring shippings that were rarely done or ones that just really spoke to me.  As a teenager, yeah reading lemons for me was one of the first confirmations that I had hit puberty and it also worked as a sort of enforcement that two particular characters could be seen as "together".  As a result, reading a lot of fanfiction like this gave me the sort of mentality I have now and reading some of the "epics" on fanfiction.net (I consider them to be stories at 100k+ words) as you might call them helped build my fascination for the concept.

After a good chunk of reading this stuff, I decided to try my hand at doing it myself.  I was in fact known as "Myviewing" on the website at that time and I wrote some stuff that was about what you would expect out of a young teenager who was trying his first hand at writing.  I wrote a Phantom of the Opera/ Final Fantasy VII crossover and several Fire Emblem fics that didn't really get a lot of attention or approval.  They probably could have been considered "My Immortal" tier but I'm not sure if I would evaluate them to be that bad.  My ego won't let me.

As you might be able to tell, none of it can be found now since I deleted them quite a few years ago.  The reception on top of my depression at the time caused me to decide that I just wouldn't write fanfiction anymore and I proceeded to delete them afterwards so I could remove myself from the community.  After that I tried to do some original writing that I think showed a little bit of improvement afterwards although I haven't exactly published it anywhere and I also fell into another round of depression at the time (the pattern ends here).

After my recovery I ended up wanting to write again and write my own publishable stories.  I ended up seeing a certain service that I was able to use in writing fanfiction, it could basically be considered a big practice exercise before actually writing something really big for myself.  I can say it's done something really helpful for me since after writing as much as I have, I actually managed to improve my writing skills to a superior level than I would have thought possible and I even managed to discover my own writing style because of it.

I hope I answered that the right way.

3. I actually didn't know that Serenes Forest had a "Hot Topic" status so I wasn't quite sure what it meant at the time but the sheer amount of posts sure did make me feel as though I was really working for my status as being the last poster on a forum.  Trying to achieve that on Forum Games is a bit of a hobby for me at this point.  Ultimately the big reaction I can say I had at the time was along the lines of "Dude.... I have too much time on my hands."

4. In my current location, it's pretty nice having Summer in February.  I know that's something that brews a little jealousy in some readers but that is how it's been going for me.

5. Yeah sure.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Obligitory impressions of me question.

2. What makes Fates your favorite FE game?

3. What kind of music do you like?

4. Favorite FE memes?

5. Any guilty pleasures? (Such as a god-awful piece of fanfiction, a movie that is so bad it's good, or a type of food you like that other people dislike)

2 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

1. Obligitory impressions of me question.

2. What makes Fates your favorite FE game?

3. What kind of music do you like?

4. Favorite FE memes?

5. Any guilty pleasures? (Such as a god-awful piece of fanfiction, a movie that is so bad it's good, or a type of food you like that other people dislike)

1.  You seem like a pretty nice girl who just happens to know a lot of lingo about the internet and knows how to take a joke.  Also very versed in TVtropes it would seem. 

2. Camilla.  Okay to add to that, I liked how Fates took everything I liked about Awakening and effectively made it into a bigger game and added branching storylines that didn't just merge into a single one so it managed to build on the replay value as much as it did.  On top of that, the fact that you could play as the "antagonists" that Nohr basically were instead of just Hoshido or going against the war entirely.  I just really like the whole "Rebellious Prince" plot that goes behind choosing to align with Nohr.  I was also happy to have no usage for weapons and it made for an easier and more enjoyable experience.  I also liked being able to capture enemy units when I played Birthright, I liked the idea of the guys going on the battlefield tying up enemy soldiers and making it seem as though they were learning the wrongs of their cause.  I know there's some kind of mechanic like this in Thracia, but this is the first time I ever got to use this in a Fire Emblem game.

3. Well this was probably going to show up at some point.  To tell you the truth, I had a bit of a falling out of music about a decade ago so I don't really listen to music anymore other than movie soundtracks.  Prior to that I was a really big fan of rock music such as Queen, The Beatles, AC/DC, The Offspring, a good chunk of Aerosmith's early stuff, and David Bowie if he counts.  I had an appreciation for pop music as well, including Madonna, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry.  I also couldn't get enough of Weird Al Yankovic and The Capitol Steps as far as the satire genre went

4. I'm not sure if this one counts, but "Are Marth and Roy in this Game?"  is up there partially because I used to be part of that crowd.  If I had known back in the Super Smash Bros. Melee days that there were people who did fan translations of the first three Fire Emblem games I probably wouldn't have been so lucky because I could have actually played them and known which ones they were in.  I think the whole "disgusting" meme with Ephraim's face above it is also something that amuses me a little, pretty much because even as a teenager I was able to sort of see Ephraim and Eirika as sort of the Jaime and Cersei Lannister of the game.  

I'd also add "What are you doing?! You had a 60% chance to hit! The odds were in your favor! YOU HAD A 40% CHANCE TO DODGE! THE ODDS WERE IN YOUR FAVOR!!!" because that is what I'd expect some fellow players would eventually come to think at some point when they think they're getting used to how the games play, at least it sure was for me back in the GBA days.  Speaking of which, "This is a Message from Lord Nergal.  I await you on the Dread Isle." and "We need disguises." *Shift scene* "Perfect!" 

5. Quite a few.  Although when I use the phrase "guilty pleasure", I tend to base it on being something that I enjoy despite me knowing that it's bad.  I actually like a lot of stuff that a lot of people on the internet and in real life might call bad but I can actually manage to make an argument for why I think they're good.  Hence why I made a good chunk of the choices that I placed down below.

I actually made a post in the video game section about video games that I should be ashamed of liking, specifically Godzilla (PS4), Sonic the Hedgehog '06, Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, Spyro: Shadow Legacy, Independence Day (Sega Saturn) and I can now add Ride to Hell: Retribution to that list.

Movies include Super Mario Bros.: The Movie, Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, Freddy Vs. Jason, Batman & Robin, the first Ghost Rider movie, Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, Speed Racer, and of course Plan 9 from Outer Space.

As far as fanfiction goes, pretty much anything written by squirrelking (Half-Life: Full Life Consequences and Doom: Repercussions of Evil just to name two) certainly falls under this category.  I can also enjoy listening to My Immortal when the right cast of commentators is involved (My favorite one is one that was read by SomeOrdinaryGamers and his friends).

I'm not sure if anyone has ever heard of this particular writer either, and I don't intend any offense to her if she reads this, but there is this fanfiction author by the name of Neo-Queen Serendipity that I manage to enjoy only because of how outlandish and goofy they manage to get.  Her stories are actually decently written but her stories have some rather trainwreckish things like a submissive Eowyn (Yes THAT Eowyn), an Anne Frank as a picky eater, Delia Ketchum giving birth to Ash's baby sister and naming her Lesbia Sappho Xena Haruka Michiru Ellen DeGeneres Ketchum, and featuring Tony Abbott wearing a speedo.  I cannot make this stuff up even if I tried.

30 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Hey, what's the big deal with pants?

Did ya hear? We have a competition where we make fools of ourselves by churning out short stories.

1. I hear they're like kind of a big deal man.  I don't know, I think the ones I'm wearing right now are kind of overrated.  They always seem to get a tear along the knee part and then they just get bigger and bigger until you're eventually just waling around with some giant hole and you run the risk of tripping on it just because the lower lip of your pants end up covering one of your feet.  I don't know why we can't just all wear exercise pants so that way we don't have to worry about trying to find a one-size-fits all garment for the lower part of our bodies.

2. I heard now.  By that do you mean there's a thread on this website that does it?  Sounds like it could be a neat thing to try out.

Edited by Emperor_Siegfried

6. How bad are May/June/July/August down there? (They seem to be Winter months for you.)

7. Favorite meme in general?

8. Favorite thing you have written thus far?

9. Favorite video game?

10. What do you want from a Brave Camilla?

1 hour ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

6. How bad are May/June/July/August down there? (They seem to be Winter months for you.)

7. Favorite meme in general?

8. Favorite thing you have written thus far?

9. Favorite video game?

10. What do you want from a Brave Camilla?

6. To tell you the truth, I actually moved down here to Greensboro a few months ago and I’m not sure how those particular months are down here.  Although I imagine it’s going to be very hot down here.  Still I’d rather have that than being back up in Michigan where those are basically the only months where I don’t feel like those are the only months where I don’t have to walk outside with a fleece or jacket.

7. Probably Grumpy Cat.  I really like cats and I find her to be adorable.  It’s probably even more the case since I actually watched her Lifetime movie back when it debuted and bought it on DVD after that only because there wasn’t a Blu-ray release.

8. My fanfic Mobile Suit Gundam WING: ECLIPSE.  I think it manages to be a cumulation of my ambitions of becoming an author and my fondness for Gundam Wing.  I know that it’s not as long as I probably advertised it, but I have written out a lot of the chapters and I do plan on gradually adding more to it.  Ultimately, I’m hoping that bringing something out there this will only be the beginning of a bigger career and I’m hoping that everyone who reads it will find it to be a worthy tribute to the original anime that played a big part in just overall becoming a storyteller.

9. My favorite video game is Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.  For me it captures a lot of what I like about video games, being a giant quest that invokes a lot of feelings within me and just overall being a memorable experience with amazing presentation values.  It also managed to be a the cumulation of everything that I think Nintendo wanted motion controls to be when they sought to introduce them into gaming.  There might be something that will succeed it at some point although I’m definitely going to be waiting for it.

10. I have to confess, I actually don’t play Fire Emblem Heroes since I have been a little iffy about getting into it.  I suppose If I could chose anything about Brave Camilla though, probably a Brave flier with magic if that’s possible.  I heard there hasn’t been a Brave Flier in the game yet so maybe this would be an interesting thing to add.

11. Favorite food?

12. I actually thought you lived in the Southern Hemisphere (unless I am wrong). Mind if you clarify things?

13. How far are you in schooling?

14. Greatest inspiration?

15. You ever use streaming services like Netflix? If so, what have you watched most of the time?

1. Favorite classical works?
  2. What book is currently on queue/has been finished?
  3. Do you find yourself emulating a writer's style, particularly if you have read his/her works several times?
  4. Who of the following four characters out-Chars Char: Rau, Zechs, Neo, or Cronicle?
Edited by Karimlan

2 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

11. Favorite food?

12. I actually thought you lived in the Southern Hemisphere (unless I am wrong). Mind if you clarify things?

13. How far are you in schooling?

14. Greatest inspiration?

15. You ever use streaming services like Netflix? If so, what have you watched most of the time?

11. Pizza!

12. Yeah, I actually live in North America.  I guess I haven't really specified where I live though I'm not sure how I gave the impression I lived in the Southern Hemisphere.  I was also kind of worried about being obvious about where I was right now, but I'm one among 290,000 people so I could probably end up being anybody out here.  And at some point I do need to be prepared for giving my name out there as well, just when I'm ready for it obviously.

13. I've actually graduated College back in 2011.  I've just had more free time on my hands since I've just moved to this city and now I'm looking to find a job down here now.

14. There has been a long list of inspirations that captures and motivates my imagination throughout the years.  Out of them all though, I think Star Wars might be the big thing that really motivates me to feel my mind really get to work and want to draw from and essentially emulate.  Ever since I was a kid, drawing something from the wide cast of characters, emotionally driven scenarios, memorable dialogue, big conflicts, the big overarching ethos of each film, the stirring of emotions that the soundtracks are capable of instilling, and the stories of how the production goes behind each new movie are some that have made me aspire to want to aspire to.  That and every new corner that gets explored is instantly enough to make me really think about what I can do to best motivate myself to become my own storyteller at some point.

15. I'm sure most people do, I've been subscribed to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO.  I was on Hulu for a bit but the lack of original content that compelled me to stay on other than just being able to keep up with simulcasting anime, and since I've been going back to watch more classics of the genre recently I haven't had much need to subscribe here.  On Netflix I use it for the original content and I can now say I can check out their bigger offering of original anime content.  Amazon Prime I primarily use to watch Man in the High Castle and the occasional additional original content or movie.  HBO, obviously for Game of Thrones, although I can add Westworld to that list as well and hopefully the bigger flux of content that's supposed to be coming will only increase the services value.

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:
  1. Favorite classical works?
  2. What book is currently on queue/has been finished?
  3. Do you find yourself emulating a writer's style, particularly if you have read his/her works several times?
  4. Who of the following four characters out-Chars Char: Rau, Zechs, Neo, or Cronicle?

1. I guess it depends on what you would call classical.  As far as music, you'd be right that it's a little limited for me although I'd say Gustav Holst's The Planets was a favorite of mine, along with Richard Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra, Johann Strauss II's The Blue Danube, Ludwig von Beethoven's Symphony No. 5.

I'm a little better on the literature front though, in the traditional sense of "classical" I'd say Homer's The Odyssey, The Epic of Gilgamesh, Abu ʾl-Qasim Firdowsi Tusi's Shahnameh, and Valmiki's Ramayana.  As more recent ones go, I'd add George Orwell’s 1984, Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, J.R.R. Tolkein’s The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time, Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five, Sirens of Titan, Cat’s Cradle, Galapagos, Robert Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The City and the Stars, and Frank Herbert’s first four Dune books.

2. As of right now, I have been reading Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchet's Good Omens recently.  It's a pretty funny story, definitely worth checking out if you like religious/Christian mythology humor even if it does start to feel a little "too British" for my dense American mind at points.  Been a bit sidetracked with this one though since @Espurrhoodie introduced me to "Supper Smash Bros Mishonh from God" recently.   Not sure if I can say I made a good choice moving to here not.

3. I do seem to at points.  I usually try to go for Patrick Rothfuss's style and a lot of times end up channeling Robert Jordan.  Although probably the most accurate would be George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series since when I first read them years ago I ended up thinking to myself, "This would be a great writing style to nail."  It would be nice if I could at some point end up mimicking Frank Herbert since it would be nice for me to really nail being able to do big world building with only a few paragraphs or so.

4. Whatever potential Neo Roanoke had ended up getting dashed by SEED Destiny's writing kerfuffle in the later episodes unfortunately.  Chronicle might have had potential but seeing how often he got shot down by Uso he doesn't quite get to have the same pedigree.  Rau Le Creuset could probably come close although since he dies in the finale of SEED he falls a little short on actually "out-Charing" Char Aznable.  Hence why I ultimately chose the one and only Zechs Merquise/Milliardo Peacecraft as the one to Out-Char Char Aznable since he manages to do so many of the feats that he achieved and ended up only being thwart by pilots who were only on the same level as him and might have even achieved his great overarching goals if he hadn't been opposed in such a way.  Not to mention his ability to match the charisma, depth, and vision that many of the best Char characters have.

2 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

2. As of right now, I have been reading Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchet's Good Omens recently.  It's a pretty funny story, definitely worth checking out if you like religious/Christian mythology humor even if it does start to feel a little "too British" for my dense American mind at points.  Been a bit sidetracked with this one though since @Espurrhoodie introduced me to "Supper Smash Bros Mishonh from God" recently.   Not sure if I can say I made a good choice moving to here not..

Glad to hear you're enjoying(?) the My Immortal of the Smash fanbase.

On 5-2-2019 at 7:49 PM, Karimlan said:

You just missed the boat. He'll get my vote come Sunday (and I'll pick his brain with several questions lol).

Purple Mage has already been interviewed (#174), so you'll have to wait until nominations for #220!

9 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

J.R.R. Tolkein’s The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

My boy : )

9 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

Trilogy

My boy : (

1. Thoughts on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings?
2. Any intention of reading The Silmarillion?
3. Which FE games have you played?
4. What languages do you speak?
5. Do you ever ride a bike?

8 hours ago, Julius Nepos said:

1. Thoughts on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings?

2. Any intention of reading The Silmarillion?
3. Which FE games have you played?
4. What languages do you speak?
5. Do you ever ride a bike?

1. A superb series of classics that paved the way for many aspiring world builders such as myself and very key to capturing my imagination into the high fantasy/adventure/heroic romance genre.  I can also credit this series for being a key part of building my fascination with studying in cultural mythology similar to how Tolkien himself drew from a lot of Christian, Germanic, and Nordic mythology.  Not only a superb series of literature but also some of the greatest films of all time.  Okay, The Battle of Five Armies was just a little much extra.

2. I actually did read The Silmarillion several years ago.  It was a pretty interesting read that gave a bigger scope to Middle Earth than I imagined it had prior to that.  I will say that it certainly does feel like a very compromised and very condensed version of a sort of Star Wars Extended Universe book series.  I say this in the sense that it really felt as though Tolkien wanted to tell a lot more stories in the universe but ended up not having the freedom to do so.  It might have just been his mortality, or it might have been his desire to do other works at the time, it’s just unfortunate that not all of it got to live up to its full potential.  That being said it certainly gave a fascinating view of all the backstory and influences that helped him build Middle Earth into what it was.

On this note, I am pretty interested to see how Amazon’s tv show is going to turn out.  If it is in fact going to be a prequel series, there are a ton of exciting new corners and stories that could be adapted and potentially fully realized if they were given to the right writers.  Examples including A Game of Thrones type show set in Númenor or depicting The War of the Jewels.  Right now, I’m willing to bet that with the recent The Fall of Gondolin, this is probably going to be one of the first choices on Amazon’s mind.  I point to all of this since I can tell that this collection of lore will be very key in the development of future media, similar to how it played a key part in expanding the Hobbit movies.

3. Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword, 7, whichever you like to call it), Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Fire Emblem Fates for the main ones.  Fire Emblem Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE for the spin-offs.  I have also recently been playing my first rom hack Fire Emblem: Requiem if that one counts.

4. I speak mighty fine Australian, English, and British.  I can manage a little bit of Spanish if I apply myself and watching a ton of subtitled anime allowed me to catch on to a little bit of Japanese although I’m not sure how helpful it would be if I tried actually going to Japan and using it.

5. Not in many a years.  I could probably do it again if it’s as easy as people say it is to remember, although as of late I haven’t really had the need or desire to.  It also doesn’t help that I don’t own one a bike that fits my current size since the last time I rode one I was probably just on my way out of being a teenager.

20 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

As of right now, I have been reading Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchet's Good Omens recently.  It's a pretty funny story, definitely worth checking out if you like religious/Christian mythology humor even if it does start to feel a little "too British" for my dense American mind at points.

Most of the humor commonplace in that writing is now made legendary by Terry Pratchett's passing (RIP). Yes, I have read that book (liked it more than Gaiman's works on his own, and it kinda says a lot about what I think of the chap), and I swear by it. 

1. Ever read Vonnegut's Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions? What did you think of either book?
  2. What do you think of the upcoming Dune film/tv project with Denis Villeneuve at the helm?
  3. How good is the TV adaptation of The Man in the High Castle?

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

Most of the humor commonplace in that writing is now made legendary by Terry Pratchett's passing (RIP). Yes, I have read that book (liked it more than Gaiman's works on his own, and it kinda says a lot about what I think of the chap), and I swear by it. 

1. Ever read Vonnegut's Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions? What did you think of either book?
  2. What do you think of the upcoming Dune film/tv project with Denis Villeneuve at the helm?
  3. How good is the TV adaptation of The Man in the High Castle?

1. I can’t believe I forgot Mother Night!  This story was actually a pretty important one to me.  When I first read it, it was a big motivator for me to not allow depression to continue fully taking hold of my life.  “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”  This quote was something that really moved me to be less of a downer in real life and adopt a new attitude about living.  Ultimate takeaway here, I learned not to let myself be Howard W. Campbell Jr, not allowing myself to get to a point where I can’t enjoy anything that life has to offer.

Breakfast of Champions is a very worthy complementation as well.  The amount of deep themes and poignant commentary were exactly what I came to expect out of a Vonnegut work, especially when it worked to expand on Kilgore Trout’s story.  My only complaint though being when (spoiler) Kurt Vonnegut himself pops in.  Just so I can confirm my lack of bias, it was an immersion breaker for me when Stephen King did it in the Gunslinger series as well.

2. Well looking at the long, winding, arduous number of attempts that have been made at making a Dune movie over the past 50 some years, I can say that this development of a Dune movie/tv project, should it actually move forward, sounds like something I can be at least a little optimistic about.  After Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 it’s clear that Villenueve has a passion for sci-fi and I imagine that he would really like to do the story justice in a way that previous attempts fell short on. 

If there is one thing that I learned about Dune adaptations though, it’s not to hold my breath about the next upcoming one.  There has been a small list at least that showed some promise of the adaptations only to end up being wrecked by some extraordinary circumstances or just by being too extraordinary of a vision for the times.  The Arthur P. Jacobs version for all I know might have been the one, although we will certainly never get to know what it even would have looked like (in this universe anyway).  The Jodorowsky version would certainly have been different for sure, although I’d be lying if I said I would never want to see that version.  And throughout the late 2010s I listened to reports of Paramount potentially attempting their own adaptation only to eventually see that version fall through as they lost the rights (clearly, they learned from Universal’s ’84 mistake).

It is nice to see that this is being helmed by someone who believes that the franchise potential is there.  Although having the vision and desire to get it right is one thing, actually getting this movie made is something that I have to wait and see actually unfold as well.  Provided this adaptation doesn’t fall victim to another Jodorowsky situation, there is still the risk of this ending up being the next big miss of an adaptation due to potential studio meddling or potentially seeing him going all Josh Trank during the production.

But who knows?  Some of the greatest film adaptations ever made came after many trial and error attempts that backfired in some way until eventually someone actually “got it right”.  As of right now I feel like I have a reason to assume that Villenueve at least has the ambition to make a good Dune movie.  As of right now, I feel that he has the potential to pull off a great adaptation although, I have to see if Legendary Entertainment allows fully utilize his skills, and much, much, more, for this one.

On a somewhat brighter note, the casting seems to be quite promising at least.  I am pretty giddy to learn that Poe Dameron is being cast as Leto Atreides and I can actually see Drax doing justice to Rabban.  And I can’t say that I’m surprised that Timothee Chalamet is currently in line to be Paul, I can only imagine that finding great teenage actors is probably more difficult than finding an actor to take up the reigns of a legendary movie character.  Zendaya as Chani might have some potential as well, in a way she does look an awful lot like Sean Young from the ’84 movie although I haven’t seen a movie or show where she demonstrates a “warrior-like” attitude (Yes, the only thing I’ve seen her in is Spider-Man: Homecoming).

I also have to add that the TV deal is a pretty interesting layer to consider as well.  Right now, I imagine that this either means a way to hand out the “less cinematic material” of the series or it might be something like Amazon’s Lord of the Rings series that’s under way and using Brian Herbert’s prequel series as the foundation.  A little iffy if you ask me though.

Brian Herbert’s prequel novels (The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corrin) are actually not terrible novels by themselves, but they are not good Dune novels.  Speaking of which, should this potential franchise take off, my hope is that God Emperor of Dune will be where it all ends (at least a franchise).

If we do end up in a scenario where the franchise does in fact get big enough to where all six of Frank’s novels have been adapted in some way, it means that Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune will be right around the corner.  I haven’t read these novels, but by reading the plot summaries alone, I can say that if someone totally does a different take on these stories than what they originally were, it would be one of the few instances where deviating as far away from the source material as possible might actually be a good thing (Yes, I can say the same thing for the prequels as well).

3. I think Man in the High Castle is a great adaptation even with some of the changes and effective condensation of some of the characters.  To be specific though, Season 1 is technically the “adaptation” portion of the show.  It’s reached three seasons so far and has been great in complementing and going beyond the vision of the original story and manages to feed an annual sense of intrigue in a sense of style that some shows don’t quite achieve and really leaves me anticipating what the next turn for each new direction it takes.  Effectively, Amazon didn’t “Under the Dome” this one.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:56 PM, Emperor_Siegfried said:

2. I heard now.  By that do you mean there's a thread on this website that does it?  Sounds like it could be a neat thing to try out.

Yeah, this thread in the Written Works subsection of the Creative subsection of the...General Section? I could check since I'm literally on the site but that would be uber lame, so I won't. Come by some time, write a thing, it'll be a thing alright.

16. Any notable school experiences?

17. You ever watch any anime? If so, what is your favorite and least favorite?

18a. If it is neither of the above, what are you thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood, too.)? Currently watching the original version of the anime on Netflix.

18b. If FMA is either of the above...

How tall are you compared to Edward Elric?

19. Favorite anime meme?

20. Favorite YouTuber?

7 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

16. Any notable school experiences?

17. You ever watch any anime? If so, what is your favorite and least favorite?

18a. If it is neither of the above, what are you thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood, too.)? Currently watching the original version of the anime on Netflix.

18b. If FMA is either of the above...

How tall are you compared to Edward Elric?

19. Favorite anime meme?

20. Favorite YouTuber?

16. Well my experience in school was pretty unremarkable for the most part.  I wasn't a very sociable kid and getting into my teenage years I was beginning to feel the building amount of angst build on me along with how seriously I took my schoolwork and because of that I tried to stay out of as many extracurricular activities as I could find myself out of.  Probably the most standout thing that happened to me in school was when I was in middle school and I was sort of moved to consider committing suicide.  As you might have guessed it didn't quite work out that way and it took a lot of serious talking with my parents about finding a way to handle everything that was happening to me.  After that I basically became more of recluse in terms of school and I didn't have a lot of friends growing up either.  Thankfully everything that I did was pretty much contained and it didn't exactly leave a mark on my reputation when I went everywhere else in life.  Pretty downer experience but at least I can say I managed to push through that one and come out somewhat more developed as a person.

17. DERP! 

Anyway, my absolute No.1 favorite anime of all time is Neon Genesis Evangelion.  This is not only the one anime, but one of the few pieces of media period that ever had a profound effect on me when I first watched it back in the day.  It took hold of me initially just because Shinji Ikari at the time was one of the few characters in anything where I could look at a character and say, "Aw crap.  That's me."  As a result the whole show through the giant robot/ angel fights, the constant sense of mystery, the hauntingly relatable cast of characters, the alluring sense of atmosphere that for me has only been matched by Rah Xephon, all of this really cumulated into being a personal experience that I'm not even sure I can fully describe and give justice.  The End of Evangelion movie also creating one of the most simultaneously striking, gripping, compelling, and ultimately moving experiences that I ever had.  More than ever, the ending in the main tv series may have been the result of budgetary constraints, but even with such limitations on it, it all managed to build into one of the most engaging and profound endings in anything I ever saw.  if I'm fortunate, one day I'll be able to write an ending that manages to even brush with being as good as it was.

My absolute least favorite? Utsu Musume Sayuri (Striking Daughter).  Hey if La Maison en Petits Cubes (The House of Small Cubes) can be selected as one of the great examples of anime, I'm pretty sure any short can be of the opposite level of scrutiny.  But what makes this particular short in particular such a choice of ire for me?  The fact that this anime literally has nothing to offer to anyone of specific appeal.  If you like shotacon homoerotica, you might like Boku no Pico.  If you like softcore vampire porn, you might like Diabolik Lovers.  If you like incest allegories and cannibalism, you might like Pupa.  The only people I can see liking Sayuri are people who have spank fetishes.  To that I offer this alternative: Watch Mirai Shounen Conan.  There is a scene where the main character gets spanked as well, but that scene is not only longer than Sayuri, but better animated as well despite being a series that is 25 years older.

18. The original Fullmetal Alchemist was quite a unique experience for me.  It was one of the anime during the 2000s that showed to me how strong the trend of ongoing narratives were especially when it seemed as though television itself was becoming a dumping ground for reality tv.  I remember it quite awesomely as well since it was the anime that I actually watched on YouTube way back in the early days when episodes were divided into separate parts, there was a 10 minute time limit on videos, and the threat of being struck down for copyright infringement around every corner.  The whole of the main series managed to amount to quite a depressing ending when it seemed as though Edward and Alphonse wouldn't be together again.  Conqueror of Shamballa though did change that into a more bittersweet ending though so it was at the end of the day an experience that I was able to look back on and say I was more than happy to have devoted my time to sticking with.  Great anime that was certainly worth the experience altogether.

I have to confess, I actually haven't seen Brotherhood.  I've been meaning to get around to it at some point and I even bought both volumes on Blu-Ray before they went out of print, thus I should really get around to seeing it when I next get a chance.

According to his officially listed height, even at his tallest at 5'5 or 6 depending on which source you use, thus I'm still quite a few inches taller than he is.

19.  Not sure if I can pinpoint a meme to a specific anime but some that I can choose from include the Male, Female recognition meme where very feminine characters are shown to be male and less feminine ones turn out to be female, this kind of meme provides me with amusement.  I can also list "bad subtitling" being up there as well, ever since the "I will now proceed to pleasure myself with this fish." screen became a big thing.

20.  My favorite YouTuber would be L.A. Beast aka skippy62able.  This dude has been on for years and eating some of the craziest stuff that anyone could have ever seen and seeing him make the reactions he makes whether he succeeds or fails makes it worth seeing him devour some of the weird stuff that he tries to eat.  He's not that frequent of a YouTuber these days but he does make for some hilarious content.

3 hours ago, Emperor_Siegfried said:

19.  Not sure if I can pinpoint a meme to a specific anime but some that I can choose from include the Male, Female recognition meme where very feminine characters are shown to be male and less feminine ones turn out to be female, this kind of meme provides me with amusement.  I can also list "bad subtitling" being up there as well, ever since the "I will now proceed to pleasure myself with this fish." screen became a big thing.

So, for that first one, traps. The second category must include the “Is this a Pigeon?” stuff, right?