SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, everyone!
I guess before we formally start the interview, I guess I should say a few words, right?
I'll lift the 5 question limit in case someone has more questions than that. If I'm not answering immediately, it's not because I'm a bad person (at least I hope I'm not), but because time zones are stupid (but that's how planetary rotation works, I guess).

To everyone who voted for me: Thank you for deeming me interesting enough for one of these.
Looking forward to answering your questions!

1. Should General Tso be impeached? 

Relevant:

2. Favorite anime?

3. Weirdest game you played or heard of?

4. Most troublesome level in a SRPG?

5. Do you watch Family Feud?

I knew I was onto something, hoho. And now here we are.

Wie läuft es, mein Freund? Hope life in your neck of the woods remains interesting, if not peachy.

1. Which part of Germany do you live in?
  2. How did you get into metal? Favorite genres?
  3. Do you play a musical instrument?
  4. Aside from RPGs, what other genres of video games do you enjoy?
  5. Favorite writer, and what works of him/her do you recommend?

More queries soon.

Edited by Karimlan

1. How are you today? (unless Karimlan asked that already. I don't know German)

2. Favorite band?

3. If you were to rank all of the countries in the world from best place to live in to worst, which one would be right in the middle?

4. Favorite character from your least favorite Fire Emblem game?

5. Have you heard the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?

6. Thoughts on the SCP Foundation? Here's an about they have written on their site if you aren't aware of what the SCP Foundation is.

7. Thoughts on the band Ghost?

8. Thoughts on Red Pandas?

Edited by IfIHadToPickADude
Misspelled Karimlan's username

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

1. Should General Tso be impeached? 

Relevant:

2. Favorite anime?

3. Weirdest game you played or heard of?

4. Most troublesome level in a SRPG?

5. Do you watch Family Feud?

1. Why not? He seems like a terrible guy.

2. I'm not that much of an anime watcher, to be honest, but there are a couple I enjoyed. I think as far as favourites go, I would have to pick Digimon Tamers, just for how serious the entire thing was. It explored themes like loss, friendship and depression in a way that really gripped me and that I had never seen like that before (or even after, if we're honest). It helps that the German dub was fantastic (even better than the Japanese original, in my opinion). I still list the title theme (The Biggest Dreamer by the legendary Koji Wada (R.I.P.)) as one of my favourite songs ever.

3. That LSD Simulator game from a few years back seemed pretty strange. I've never played it myself, though. As for the ones I've played, it's probably Warriors All-Stars just because it is really freaking weird (in a hilarious way) to have Christophorus, Lu Bu, Yukimura Sanada and Ryu Hayabusa team up and kill stuff together.

4. Aside from Fire Emblem, I've only played Stella Glow as far as SRPGs go, sadly. With that being said, Kitsune Lair from Fates Conquest gets my vote as one of the most annoying video game levels in existence. You are so much at the mercy of the RNG it's not even funny. It doesn't help that it comes basically right after Ninja Hell, another chapter I despise.

5. Sadly, no. I honestly don't even know what that is.

8 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

I knew I was onto something, hoho. And now here we are.

Wie läuft es, mein Freund? Hope life in your neck of the woods remains interesting, if not peachy.

1. Which part of Germany do you live in?
  2. How did you get into metal? Favorite genres?
  3. Do you play a musical instrument?
  4. Aside from RPGs, what other genres of video games do you enjoy?
  5. Favorite writer, and what works of him/her do you recommend?

Ganz gut soweit! Aside from catastrophic public transportation, it's fine.

1. In a small state known as Hessen, basically in the centre of the country.
2. My father listened to metal all the time when I was a kid, so I naturally got into it myself. As far as favourite genres go, I think I like all of them, regardless if it's Thrash, Death, Speed, Black, "normal" etc. If it's good, I'll like it.
3. I've tried my hands at the guitar and drums when I was in middle school, but I soon discovered that I don't really have a talent for music.
4. Dungeon crawlers come to mind as a genre I like. As far as specific, non-RPG games go, I enjoyed the Warriors games I've played so far, Okami, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
5. As a literary student, I am ashamed to admit that I'm not really keeping up with modern writers, but I really like the epics from ancient and medieval times. And of course Goethe's Faust, Sherlock Holmes, Winnetou by Karl May, as well as some Shakesperian stuff as well. As far as recommendations go, try reading Goethe's Faust one day if you can. It's a really fun and awesome story.

1. Are you looking forward to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
  2. Any video game series you're interested in
  3. Thoughts on each Fire Emblem game you've played?
  4. Most frustrating boss fight?
  5. Hot or cold?

I was trading a lot of tapes and zines with friends from Wiesbaden and Darmstadt in the late 80s/early 90s, so Hesse/Hessen definitely rings a bell. Currently, I'm listening to a lot of Helrunar, who hail further north from where you live (Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia). Their most recent album, Vanitas Vanitatvm is seeing regular spins here since I've gotten the digipak last week.

As far as Faust goes, I've read Marlowe's version, but really should pick up Goethe's and haven't done so far. Thanks for reminding me :D

1. Thoughts on getting the physical copy of music/games as opposed to digital ones?
  2. From a fellow writer to another: Have you come across Rainer Maria Rilke? His Letters to A Young Poet is brilliant.
  3. Ever picked up a one-on-one fighting game? Which one was/is it?
  4. Which SRPG was the first one you've picked up?
  5. Just how awful was the frame drop during boss fights in Shadow of the Colossus?
Edited by Karimlan

l5yEq1.gif

Are you ready for the questions!?!

Technically not a re-interview, but I may as well make it a personal rule to post this gif every 10 interviews anyway.

1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  5. Any luck with Discord?
  6. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  7. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  8. Something you both love and hate?
  9. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  10. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?

46 minutes ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

1. How are you today? (unless Karimlan asked that already. I don't know German)

2. Favorite band?

3. If you were to rank all of the countries in the world from best place to live in to worst, which one would be right in the middle?

4. Favorite character from your least favorite Fire Emblem game?

5. Have you heard the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?

6. Thoughts on the SCP Foundation? Here's an about they have written on their site if you aren't aware of what the SCP Foundation is.

7. Thoughts on the band Ghost?

8. Thoughts on Red Pandas?

1. A little tired, but fine, thank you!
2. Iron Maiden, hands down. They made and still make some of the greatest music known to man.
3. To be honest, I don't really know enough about other countries to really be able to say that, but I guess Italy?
4. Nyx from Fire Emblem Fates. She's probably the best thing to come out of that trainwreck of a game.
5. Yes, I have. I think. It's pretty vague, actually.
6. They sound like something straight out of some dystopia novel, to be honest. I wasn't aware of who they are until now, but by what they write about themselves, a cynical person could interpret a LOT into their words.
7. Only heard about them just now, looked them up... and instant awesome!
8. They are so cute and cuddly. I'd like to have one if I could offer it a comfortable environment. I remember walking through a zoo and one looked at me from the top of a tree. It was really adorable. :3

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  1. Are you looking forward to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
  2. Any video game series you're interested in
  3. Thoughts on each Fire Emblem game you've played?
  4. Most frustrating boss fight?
  5. Hot or cold?

1. Kind of. I don't own a Switch and was kind of disappointed by 4. If it gets an adventure mode like the Subspace Emmissary, I'll probably try and get it, though.

2. Plenty. I still want to give the Hyperdimension Neptunia games a spin, even if they are heavy on the fanservice (though in a series that huge, I have no clue where to begin), that Fairy Fencer game also holds my attention, though I'm wary because of the mixed reception that game got and I also really want to play another Atelier game.

3. This will require a longer answer, so bear with me.

FE6: A solid game, though the gameplay could use some work. I especially hate some of the map design, the ambush spawns are BS and the units the game gives you seem to be on the really kind of weak side. It does have the most compelling final boss, at least story-wise, out of every GBA FE game in Idoun. She even holds up against the likes of Ashnard and post-Echoes Grima in my opinion. Story-wise, it's a slightly altered FE3/12, right down to some of it's characters, so it gets some minus points for that, too. But I don't dislike the game, per say.
FE7: Probably my favourite GBA FE when it comes to gameplay and story. It plays things safe, which is a good thing (as we'll see later). Though the unit balance definitely could use some work. Marcus is too OP compared to everyone else on your starting party.
FE8: Honestly, despite this game having some of my favourite female characters in the series (Tana, Eirika and Lute), I didn't enjoy this game that much. I liked the idea behind it, but it fell apart somewhere along the way. The Demon King is a boring final boss, Lyon isn't that great of an antagonist in my mind and the characters that you get aren't all that memorable, either. It's basically a prelude to Fates, as it follows some of the same beats: it has a Gary Stu protagonist, females that seemingly only exist for you-know-what (a point which Heroes reinforced. I mean, have you SEEN Summer Tana?), an OP prepromote that renders the entire rest of the cast moot and an asshole Sniper prince with a gloriously punchable face.
FE9: My first Fire Emblem game and one of the best, in my opinion. Ike's character growth throughout the game is fantastically done and far superior to every other lord in the series. It's also home to Mia, one of my favourite characters in the entire franchise.
FE10: Together with PoR one of the best game duologies I ever had the pleasure to play. It took everything that was good about FE9 and made it even better. The only bad thing I can say about RD is the fact that some units' availability is so bad that you'll regret levelling them up in PoR (RIP Muarim).
FE11: The remake of the first game. I enjoyed it for what it was. It's a good introduction to the rest of the series and boils the gameplay down to its most enjoyable parts. Also, Mangs' playthrough of it was some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen in my entire life. If I had to name one negative thing about this game is that it didn't learn the lesson of "less is more". There are too many characters in there, some of which serve no purpose whatsoever (Matthis, half the Wolfguard etc. pp.)
FE12: Even worse than FE11 in the "too many units" department, but otherwise a good game. The avatar isn't the greatest thing in the world, at least character-wise, but I respect what they were trying to with it (prepare for Awakening, I assume). I do think they shouldn't have hidden the last part of the game behind some cryptic stuff that you can't really figure out unless you use a guide (another thing I didn't like in FE6, either), but otherwise, I really did enjoy playing it.
FE13: The game that made me buy a 3DS way back when and I never regretted it even once. Sure, the map design isn't the best, but I firmly believe that - as far as characters go - Awakening has one of the strongest casts in the entire franchise, second only to Echoes. It also offers the best DLC out of all the 3DS titles so far.
FE14: I'll just mash all three paths into one. The short story is: I don't like Fates. I think it's the weakest game in the series, especially when it comes to story and characters. Going any further than that would be just beating a dead horse into dust, so I'll leave it at that. DLC sucked, too and having to buy DLC in order to get much needed context for what is even going on is Activision / EA levels of BS.
FE15: It's listed as my favourite game for a reason. Story and characters are at their strongest they have ever been here. I don't mind the simple map design that much, honestly. It's a remake of a really early game, so I can forgive the somewhat bland map design. It's much better than whatever Revelation tried to pass off as map design, for sure.
FE Warriors: Certainly a surprise for me. I fully expected this game to suck, but it didn't in the end. I had tons of fun with it (still have). The only gripe I have is that almost every single one of my least favourite characters from Fates is in there (only Kiragi and Soleil are missing), so that bogs down the quality of the cast quite a bit for me, but luckily, I can choose to ignore them in favour of characters I actually do like (Lissa, Chrom, Lyn, Celica). Contrary to popular opinion, however, I don't think the cast is too small. 20-30 characters is enough for a game like this. I also like Lianna, though I could have done without her annoying brother.

4. Any boss that uses insta-kill moves comes to mind, actually. One of my least favourite bosses from recent memory was Penance from Final Fantasy X because of how boring the fight actually was. And then there was Moltres from the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game. I can't tell you how many times I had to walk through that stupid Fire Mountain because the damn burning bird would just slaughter me over and over.

5. I'm actually somewhere in between. I don't like it when it's too hot and I don't like it when it's too cold.

18 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

I was trading a lot of tapes and zines with friends from Wiesbaden and Darmstadt in the late 80s/early 90s, so Hesse/Hessen definitely rings a bell. Currently, I'm listening to a lot of Helrunar, who hail further north from where you live (Munster, North Rhine-Westphalia). Their most recent album, Vanitas Vanitatvm is seeing regular spins here since I've got the digipak last week.

As far as Faust goes, I've read Marlowe's version, but really should pick up Goethe's and haven't done so far. Thanks for reminding me :D

1. Thoughts on getting the physical copy of music/games as opposed to digital ones?
  2. From a fellow writer to another: Have you come across Rainer Maria Rilke? His Letters to A Young Poet is brilliant.
  3. Ever picked up a one-on-one fighting game? Which one was/is it?
  4. Which SRPG was the first one you've picked up?
  5. Just how awful was the frame drop during boss fights in Shadow of the Colossus?

Oh, that's interesting!

1. I actually don't have that much of a strong opinion on that, though my internet keeps crashing whenever I try to download a game lately. I think buying things digitally does save space on the shelves, but I don't mind going to a store and getting the game/CD I want, either. The only problem is: the games I am interested in are digital only for the most part.

2. I have, in fact. I really like his works. I agree that Letters to A Young Poet was great.

3. I did play Tekken on a school trip once. It was on XBox 360, I think. I had fun with it, but I suck at fighting games (even Smash Brothers).

4. My first SRPG was Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. It was given to me by a close friend of mine. Radiant Dawn, too, actually. The first SRPG I bought for myself was Shadow Dragon.

5. I played the PS3 and PS4 remakes, so it wasn't bad. The controls took some time getting used to, though. I died to the first boss like 19 times before finally beating it.

4 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

l5yEq1.gif

Are you ready for the questions!?!

Technically not a re-interview, but I may as well make it a personal rule to post this gif every 10 interviews anyway.

1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  5. Any luck with Discord?
  6. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  7. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  8. Something you both love and hate?
  9. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  10. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?

I am! Bring them on!

1. The Tales series. I can't name a single game from that series that I've played that I disliked. There are ones that I would consider slightly worse than others, but otherwise, the quality in these games has always been top notch for me.

2. I like watching other people play them. I suck at fighting games, so playing them myself has always been a series of embarrassment for me. I did enjoy playing Smash Brothers, though, even if I do suck at that game, as well. They're cool games, but due to my ineptitude, I have never seriously gotten into one.

3. Metal, Hard Rock, Classic and Progressive Rock. Also video game music. Weird mix, I know. I grew up listening to Metal and Hard Rock and I happened to become interested in Classical music through my grandpa, who actually plays the violin. Progressive Rock I discovered through my father, who likes a band known as Saga. I got kind of hooked on their music, so here we are.

4. Well, my current profile pic was basically me asking myself "Who is your favourite character from Nights of Azure?" and I picked the one I have based on that. Because I really do like both Nights of Azure games and I wanted to reflect that in my profile somehow.

5. Nope.

6. I will say that I've only ever seen the six original films. I haven't dipped into the Expanded Universe, never played the games and I haven't seen the newest movies yet. I can see why this franchise became so iconic, though. It's a cool mix between Sci-fi and fantasy, which I like. I honestly prefer Star Trek (the old stuff up to and including Voyager and the prequel series that they cancelled, known simply as Star Trek Enterprise), though.

7. That's a tough one, actually. Because I usually go into things with an open mind. I guess if I had to pick one thing, it would have to be the music by the two singers Alizée and Mylene Farmer, both top grade singers with awesome music. But my childhood self was like "French pop-rock? Really?" Then I heard some of their music and my mind instantly changed. As for video games, I did have my doubts about Stella Glow, assumed it would just be a fanservice-heavy dating sim, but it ended up being one of my all-time favourite games.

8. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. I don't know why, but I keep coming back to the game, even if I put it as my least favourite Warriors game to date. I love it for its great gameplay, varied cast of colourful characters, but that exact same varied cast is one of the things I dislike, because there are too many characters for a game like this (145!!!), the difficulty on some maps is through the roof for all the wrong reasons (you can't see enemy commanders in the sea of opponents and allies all meshed together into one mess of a screen) and Gauntlet Mode can go rot in hell. But for whatever reason, I keep playing the game, despite all my gripes with it.

9. If someone looked for a good action-RPG and didn't mind some in your face fanservice, I would definitely recommend giving Nights of Azure or Nights of Azure 2 a shot. They're both fantastic games, really fun to play and have gripping stories with lots and lots of hidden symbolism and subtle story-telling. They're not lacking in humour, either. The only problem I have with the games IS the fanservice, but every other aspect is so good that I can ignore it for the most part. I prefer Nights of Azure 2 to the first game because of its wider cast of characters and first and foremost its villain, but I'd still recommend playing the first game... well, first.
For anyone looking for how a strong female protagonist should be done in terms of character arcs and development, both games deliver on that front. Boy howdy, do they ever deliver on that front.

10. If someone wanted to read some of the old German classics, then I'd say stay the heck away from Heinrich von Kleist (pronounced like Kl-eye-st), even his name is weird (if you're not aware, "Kleister" (pronounced Kl-eye-ster) is a colloquial term for "glue" in German) and his writing isn't good. Read something else like E.T.A. Hoffmann, Schiller or Goethe, just stay away from Mr. Glue over there if you don't want to be bored out of your skull.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Plenty. I still want to give the Hyperdimension Neptunia games a spin, even if they are heavy on the fanservice (though in a series that huge, I have no clue where to begin),

Starting the Neptunia series is pretty simple actually. Start with the Rebirth trilogy, as those three games are remakes of the original three games. There is a timeline but it doesn't matter that much. It goes Mk2/Rebirth 2 -> Victory/Rebirth 3 -> Megadimension Neptunia VII (the VII actually stands for Victory 2 although if you count the three spin-offs that came before it, then Megadimension is the 7th Neptunia game so the VII has double meaning). The original and Rebirth 1 are in their own continuity. Whatever you do, DO NOT play the original Hyperdimension Neptunia because the gameplay was a mistake. You can play Mk2 and Victory but there's no reason to play them when the remakes exist. Each game has a bad, normal and true ending.

As for the spin-offs, it covers a variety of genres. I recommend playing these after playing at least one of the mainline games. Producing Perfection is the idol simulaton game (why), Hyperdevotion Noire is an SRPG, Action Unleashed and MegaTagmension Blanc are Warriors-like games, Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls is a crossover with the Sega Hard Girls franchise that plays like the mainline Neptunia games (i think), Cyberdimension Neptunia is an MMO-like game and the upcoming spin-off Super Neptunia RPG, releasing next year on PS4 and Switch (first time a Nep game comes to Nintendo) is a 2D side-scrolling RPG. And if you want to count it as spin-off material, there is an anime that loosley adapts the 2nd and 3rd games.

The Rebirth games, Megadimension (and it's VR port), and all of the spin-offs except for Super Neptunia RPG are all on Steam. If you're looking at consoles, you'll find the same games on Vita except for Megadimension and Cyberdimension whose console releases are on PS4.

Also, personal recommendation, i recommend playing with Japanese voices. I normally don't do this in games but the English actors are too normal and quiet in my opinion and as such, they don't capture the hilarious personalities and dialouge of the characters 

--------------------------

That was long, time for more questions

1. Do you watch or are you interested in watching Doctor Who?

2. Have you traveled to other countries? 

3. What's a game that everyone said was good but then you played it and ended up hating it?

4. What do you value most in a game?

5. Favorite foods?

Edited by Armagon

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

4. Aside from Fire Emblem, I've only played Stella Glow as far as SRPGs go, sadly. With that being said, Kitsune Lair from Fates Conquest gets my vote as one of the most annoying video game levels in existence. You are so much at the mercy of the RNG it's not even funny. It doesn't help that it comes basically right after Ninja Hell, another chapter I despise.

I see. Except the chapter immediately preceding is it in Izumo. Anyway, the one level that screams trouble for me more often than not imo is the one in Amatsu where you have to prevent Sakuya from being defeated whilst she's an AI character; doesn't help that Dorothy (the boss) has a skill that does more damage if she's severely wounded. For another game, chapter 26 in Project X Zone 2. You have to prevent enemies from getting next to the Dragonturtle Mk. I... and they come from 4 directions. Le sigh. Oh, and you have flying buggers among the enemies. Ugh. AND Azure Kite, who sends any damage he takes right back to you (thankfully, reflected damage cannot KO, but his counters can!).

6. Opinion of the following:

a. 

b. 300px-Meow_Wow_(Spirit)_KH3D.png

c. Flowbermeow_(Spirit)_KH3D.png

d. 200px-Meowjesty_(Spirit)_KH3D.png

e. Catanuki_(Spirit)_KH3DHD.png

f. Oh my God!

g. Doh I missed!

7. Did you know Koei Tecmo is making another Arland game?

8. Have you heard of the blind Street Fighter V player who defeated "The Master" (Ryu with an absurdly good AI)?

9. Favorite and least favorite FE skills?

10. Favorite and least favorite FE classes?

1. How did you get introduced into Fire Emblem?

2. Any RPG series you haven't started, but you're interested in?

3. What has been the happiest day in your life yet?

4. Any interesting sights and places near to the area you live in?

5. Have you an opinion about the passed state election in Hessen from two weeks ago?

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Starting the Neptunia series is pretty simple actually. Start with the Rebirth trilogy, as those three games are remakes of the original three games. There is a timeline but it doesn't matter that much. It goes Mk2/Rebirth 2 -> Victory/Rebirth 3 -> Megadimension Neptunia VII (the VII actually stands for Victory 2 although if you count the three spin-offs that came before it, then Megadimension is the 7th Neptunia game so the VII has double meaning). The original and Rebirth 1 are in their own continuity. Whatever you do, DO NOT play the original Hyperdimension Neptunia because the gameplay was a mistake. You can play Mk2 and Victory but there's no reason to play them when the remakes exist. Each game has a bad, normal and true ending.

As for the spin-offs, it covers a variety of genres. I recommend playing these after playing at least one of the mainline games. Producing Perfection is the idol simulaton game (why), Hyperdevotion Noire is an SRPG, Action Unleashed and MegaTagmension Blanc are Warriors-like games, Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls is a crossover with the Sega Hard Girls franchise that plays like the mainline Neptunia games (i think), Cyberdimension Neptunia is an MMO-like game and the upcoming spin-off Super Neptunia RPG, releasing next year on PS4 and Switch (first time a Nep game comes to Nintendo) is a 2D side-scrolling RPG. And if you want to count it as spin-off material, there is an anime that loosley adapts the 2nd and 3rd games.

The Rebirth games, Megadimension (and it's VR port), and all of the spin-offs except for Super Neptunia RPG are all on Steam. If you're looking at consoles, you'll find the same games on Vita except for Megadimension and Cyberdimension whose console releases are on PS4.

Also, personal recommendation, i recommend playing with Japanese voices. I normally don't do this in games but the English actors are too normal and quiet in my opinion and as such, they don't capture the hilarious personalities and dialouge of the characters 

--------------------------

That was long, time for more questions

1. Do you watch or are you interested in watching Doctor Who?

2. Have you traveled to other countries? 

3. What's a game that everyone said was good but then you played it and ended up hating it?

4. What do you value most in a game?

5. Favorite foods?

Alright, thank you! I'll start with the Rebirth series, then!

1. I've heard about the series (who hasn't), but I haven't actually watched it. If it ever airs on TV, I think I'll give it a go.

2. Yes. I've been to Austria to visit relatives. Though life there is actually very similar to where I actually live. I've always wanted to visit the UK, though.

3. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and the 4th Generation of Pokémon come to mind. I played both, didn't enjoy them (but I still play WO3U from time to time, weirdly enough) and that's all she wrote.

4. Fun gameplay comes first for me, though when it comes to RPGs, I actually value story and especially characters first. If the story and / or the characters are crap, I can't exactly get behind the game, no matter how good the gameplay is. On the other hand, if the characters and story are awesome, I can forgive slightly dull gameplay.

5. I love scrambled eggs, especially in conjunction with fried potatoes. I'm also a fan of most Italian foods (tortellini, pizza, spaghetti, all that good stuff).

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I see. Except the chapter immediately preceding is it in Izumo. Anyway, the one level that screams trouble for me more often than not imo is the one in Amatsu where you have to prevent Sakuya from being defeated whilst she's an AI character; doesn't help that Dorothy (the boss) has a skill that does more damage if she's severely wounded. For another game, chapter 26 in Project X Zone 2. You have to prevent enemies from getting next to the Dragonturtle Mk. I... and they come from 4 directions. Le sigh. Oh, and you have flying buggers among the enemies. Ugh. AND Azure Kite, who sends any damage he takes right back to you (thankfully, reflected damage cannot KO, but his counters can!).

6. Opinion of the following:

a. 

b. 300px-Meow_Wow_(Spirit)_KH3D.png

c. Flowbermeow_(Spirit)_KH3D.png

d. 200px-Meowjesty_(Spirit)_KH3D.png

e. Catanuki_(Spirit)_KH3DHD.png

f. Oh my God!

g. Doh I missed!

7. Did you know Koei Tecmo is making another Arland game?

8. Have you heard of the blind Street Fighter V player who defeated "The Master" (Ryu with an absurdly good AI)?

9. Favorite and least favorite FE skills?

10. Favorite and least favorite FE classes?

Yeah, I forgot that Izumo was a thing, to be honest. Sorry about that.
And I remember the Amatsu level you're talking about. That stuff can really throw you off if you're not careful, I agree. I also distinctly remember having problems with the level where you first actually fight Hilda in. That's mostly down to her and her three lackeys being really, really strong for that point in the game.

a Awesome music. Hyrule Warriors' soundtrack is really good in general.
b - e Can't decide if terrifying or cute. Leaning towards
f & g Funny. Though I find it extra hilarious that Wario is seemingly speaking German in g. (Is it "So ein Mist!" or "Oh, I missed!"?)

7. Nope, I had no idea. To be honest, I don't even know what Arland is, but I will look into it.

8. Can't say I have, but that's impressive. It's certainly something I'd never be able to do.

Favourite:
Astra. I know it's not the most reliable of skills, but damn if it doesn't look awesome when it triggers.
For a skill with a more practical use, I'd go with Trample. A flat +5 damage boost to anything that's not on a mount is pretty good. I know it's a level 15 skill, but still. If you can get it early through someone else's castle or your logbook, the damage boost is actually really beastly.

Least favourite:
Counter and Countermagic. Skills that are only useful when the enemy has them. I HATE that kind of thing.

Favourite:
Had you asked me three years ago, I would have said Swordmaster, without a doubt. But nowadays, I have newfound love towards Pegasus Knights, Wyvern Riders and Mages for classes that appear in nearly every game, and Manaketes from Awakening, because they were pretty busted in that game. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Awakening Manaketes because of how strong they are compared to nearly everything else in that game.

Least favourite:
Cavaliers and Paladins for how overpraised I find them, and the characters in those classes are really, really bland for the most part. But when it comes to actual gameplay, I'd agree with you and say anything with an axe that's not on a Wyvern. So, Brigands, Fighters, Berserkers and Warriors. I simply hate how every time you try to use one, it's basically a gamble. If they miss, you'll have to have another unit clean up after them and then it's usually already to late. I can't tell you how many times I had to reset because Boyd, Dorcas, Vaike, Arthur, and Charlotte failed to do their freaking jobs.

5 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

1. How did you get introduced into Fire Emblem?

2. Any RPG series you haven't started, but you're interested in?

3. What has been the happiest day in your life yet?

4. Any interesting sights and places near to the area you live in?

5. Have you an opinion about the passed state election in Hessen from two weeks ago?

1. I watched a friend play Path of Radiance and I got interested, so he lent the game to me. He later gifted it to me alongside Radiant Dawn.

2. I honestly can't think of any right now. If anything, I'd like to know if there are other SRPG series.

3. I still remember December 21st of 2000 when I went to see the second Pokémon movie in theatre with my father. I had a bit of a difficult life up until that point (abusive mother, long story). Going to see that movie was the first thing my father and I did together after the whole ordeal was over and done with and it marked a new beginning for me, which is why that movie in particular will always have a special place in my heart, and that day always will, too.

4. There is a church where Hindenburg is buried. No joke.

5. I don't follow politics that closely but I did see the voting campaign posters all over town. None of the candidates looked that trustworthy to me, to be honest and I'm not sure anything will really change by the results. It rarely has in the past, so why now?

17 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

Hello, here's my questions.

What do you think of me?

Do you like musicals?

Favorite FE boy?

Favorite FE girl?

Favorite FE class?

Hi!

Since I don't know you personally, I can only say by what I saw of your on these forums. You're a good and nice person, but a little too critical of yourself sometimes.

I haven't seen that many musicals in my life so far (planning on changing that), but the ones I did see, I liked. So I guess the answer is "yes".

My favourite male FE character is a toss up between Frederick and Saber. Frederick is a funny and very well done spin / parody on the overly loyal knight archetype that the Jeigan usually is and Saber is a cool mentor figure for Celica throughout Echoes. It does help that both are pretty strong units, as well. But I have ignored strong units before if their characters didn't interest me.

My favourite female FE character is Celica. Out of every protagonist this series has had, she, along with Ike and Chrom, felt the most human to me. Runner-ups would be Nowi, Nyx and Mia.

My favourite class is the Manakete, especially from Awakening. I have a huge bias towards dragons (I mean, just look at my username), and they were at their strongest in Awakening. 

1. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  2. Favorite card/board game?
  3. Thoughts on puzzle games?
  4. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  5. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  6. Something you would tell your younger self?

3 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  2. Favorite card/board game?
  3. Thoughts on puzzle games?
  4. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  5. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  6. Something you would tell your younger self?

1. I've read the books, but I haven't seen the movies. The books were a fun read, all things considered.

2. I used to play Risk (the board game) a lot when I was younger. I liked it, but I don't have it anymore, sadly. I guess that's where my affinity for strategy games came from, though. I also like playing the Pokémon TCG from time to time.

3. The games are fun when the puzzles are done well and not shoe-horned in or otherwise weird. I do prefer actual puzzles, though, like logic puzzles or stuff like that.

4. It depends on the context, honestly. If the context the action scene is in is supposed to be realistic (like a live action film that isn't a Chinese martial arts flick), I prefer realistic, down-to-earth action scenes - hence why I dislike most modern action movies and when it makes sense, like in anime, video games and the aforementioned martial arts flicks, I do like over the top action, too, though. Anime or video games (especially Warriors games) wouldn't be the same without some over the top action. Unless the anime or game itself has a realistic approach to it, of course.

5. Nothing I'm allowed to say without turning some heads.
Joking, of course. This is really hard to answer, actually. I think I'd like to hang out with either Nowi or Tiki and have them tell me about the experiences they had during their long lives. I think that could be an interesting day. I'd also ask them if they could take me for a flight, because flying on a dragon sounds awesome. I would need to get rid of my fear of heights first, though...

6. To me in 5th to 10th grade: Don't trust your classmates. They're only pretending to be your friends.
Alternatively, I'd show him the solutions to every math exam I had to suffer through, so at least he could get better marks. I think I'd go with that, actually.

1. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  2. Something that had to grow on you?
  3. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  4. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  5. Favorite dream you've ever had?

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I've heard about the series (who hasn't), but I haven't actually watched it. If it ever airs on TV, I think I'll give it a go.

It's also on Netflix if you have that.

1. Favorite game series of all time?

2. Least favorite game series of all time?

3. What would you say is the worst game in your favorite series?

4. What would you say is the best game in your least favorite series?

5. Any games that you didn't like but are willing to give a second chance?

1. Given your predisposition towards dragons, I trust you've heard of Welcome to Dying?
  2. Why do you think dragons were generally vilified in western literatures and mythologies?
  3. Given the chance, would you write an oratorio on Frederick's love of starting fires and juxtapose it against his sense of duty?
  4. Ever been to Wacken Open Air? (I plan to go there once at least)
  5. Given your answer on a thread before, you seem to be pretty critical of Albert Speer. Do you subscribe to the thought that he knew more than the entire world believed he led on? (In other words, you more or less follow the line of thinking Gitta Sereny, his biographer explored, postulating that he unwittingly became more of a politician that he can casually admit, by perfectly toeing the line between revealing the truth about his involvement in Hitler's regime and obscuring it from view...)
Edited by Karimlan

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  2. Something that had to grow on you?
  3. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  4. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  5. Favorite dream you've ever had?

1. The night sky. Once I grew conscious of what the world around me was, I loved looking into the stars at night. Still do. It's really calming.

2. Swimming. I was deathly afraid of water when I was a kid (I was afraid of everything back then), but once I knew how to swim, I started to enjoy it.

3. I'd pay good money to go diving with whales someday. That has always been a dream of mine.

4. I don't really watch superhero movies or read comics, so I don't really have a strong opinion about him.

5. I sadly don't often remember my dreams and when I do, it's usually only when I dream up scenes for my stories.

25 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

6. What would be your Tales of party of choice (four characters)?

7. What's your favorite dungeon in the Tales of series?

8. Are you going to get the remake of Tales of Vesperia?

9. What's your favorite line in a videogame?

10. What's your opinion of SerenesForest?

6. Velvet, Yuri, Marta, and Beryl.

7. Any forest dungeon, because I love forests irl. I know that's cheating (and I can't actually remember specific names), but I always enjoy romping through the woods in any game and Tales is no exception to that.

8. YES! Absolutely looking forward to it!

9.  "Run, my friend. Run through this endless night. And sing out the song of your life." - Christophorus, Nights of Azure 2
I like this line, because it says so many things, yet nothing at the same time. It's part of the reason I like the character of Christophorus so much. The delivery is also simply perfect. Tomoyo Kurosawa fits the character perfectly to the point where she IS Christophorus to me, as in, I can't imagine anyone else voicing her.

10. I like it here. There are many nice people around. Interestingly enough, it's the only forum I've ever visited where things don't go south (a.k.a. everybody becomes a toxic a-hole) in a matter of seconds.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's also on Netflix if you have that.

1. Favorite game series of all time?

2. Least favorite game series of all time?

3. What would you say is the worst game in your favorite series?

4. What would you say is the best game in your least favorite series?

5. Any games that you didn't like but are willing to give a second chance?

I don't have Netflix. I can't afford any subscription fees at the moment, because of student loans and other living expenses.

1. The Tales series.

2. I haven't dipped my head into too many series and if I have, I've only ever played one or two games from them. I guess if I had to pick one I've played more than two games of, I'd say Pokémon. I used to love Pokémon, but the love vanished and has now been replaced by a feeling of disappointment. I mean, I still like the creatures, but the mainline games have gone down ways I just can't agree with anymore.

3. Tales of Graces is my least favourite Tales game, because the gameplay isn't as fun as in the other games and the cast is kind of weak by Tales standards. But it's still a really good game. If I had to rate it, I'd say it's a 7/10 whereas other Tales games get 8/10 or 9/10.

4. Pokémon's strength definitely lies with its spin-offs. I'll always stand by that point. The Pokémon spin-offs are all really fun to play. My favourite out of all of them is Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, just for the fact that you can ride on a legendary Pokémon in that game. Imagine that: running through beautiful island landscapes on the back of Raikou, Entei or Suicune.

5. The Alliance Alive had many weird difficulty spikes throughout which turned me off for a while. I am willing to try my hand at that game again, however and see if I can't overcome that somehow.

7 minutes ago, Karimlan said:
  1. Given your predisposition towards dragons, I trust you've heard of Welcome to Dying?
  2. Why do you think dragons were generally vilified in western literatures and mythologies?
  3. Given the chance, would you write an oratorio on Frederick's love of starting fires and juxtapose it against his sense of duty?
  4. Ever been to Wacken Open Air? (I plan to go there once at least)
  5. Given your answer on a thread before, you seem to be pretty critical of Albert Speer. Do you subscribe to the thought that he knew more than the entire world believed he led on? (In other words, you more or less follow the line of thinking Gitta Sereny, his biographer explored, postulating that he unwittingly became more of a politician that he can casually admit, by perfectly toeing the line between revealing the truth about his involvement in Hitler's regime and obscuring it from view...)

1. I certainly have now. That's awesome music if I've ever heard it!

2. I think it's because western literature and mythology relies heavily on Christian beliefs and the dragon is sometimes used to symbolize Satan. It could also have something to do with a general fear of the unknown and the tendency of western culture to present anything unknown as "evil". Or even simpler: having killed a dragon - a "supernatural" being usually associated with power, strength and even immortality - gave credibility to the prowess of certain heroes, like St. George, Siegfried (Fafnir), Beowulf (Grendel), or Heracles (Hydra)

3. I doubt I could write a competent one, but why not?

4. No, never. I do want to go someday, though.

5. I think so, yeah. He had some involvement with Hitler or at least got in his good graces. I mean, why else would he have been allowed to continue being an architect and even become a minister of armaments and war?