SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Johann said:

So uh, was I supposed to do something here?

Nope, I'll go ahead and get your interview started.

So, to explain: I didn't miss a week. I was all set to get a new interview started last Tuesday, but I found that none of the nominees had enough nominations (at least 2) to qualify for an interview. Since I was quite sick at the time, I didn't want to bother having to think up a solution, so I decided to just silently extend the nomination period for another week.

Now, without further adue:

SF Interview #189: Johann
Interview ends on 26/8/2018.

1) How's your day going?

2) You have any favorite memes?

3) Why is Binding Blade your favorite Fire Emblem?

4) Any manga/comic series you enjoy?

5)  Any other video game series, aside from Fire Emblem, you enjoy?

I was wondering why it took longer than usual. Hope you're feeling better @Julius Nepos.

As for the questions:

1. How did you discover Serenes Forest?
  2. Opinion of fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  5. Any particular reason you support Doctors Without Borders?

1. How do you mean you're feelin' grooovy
  2. First/current thoughts/opinions on me
  3. Do you care for politics 
  4. Favourite food
  5. If you don't mind disclosing (and it's fine to ignore this question) do you have any cool/weird hospital stories

7 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:
  1. who the heck are you @Johann? i don't know who you are.
  2. do you like mangoes.
  3. cats or dogs?
  4. city kid or country bumpkin?
  5. whats the weather like where you are right now? we got a good sunny breeze over here
  1. I post more on the FEH side of things and usually skip most of the chatty threads. Online, I have like, no personality, but in real life, I'm like Bert from Mary Poppins
  2. hell yeah, a juicy mango, a lovely mango, a poison mango, gimme the mango
  3. Dogs are the best, but cats are cool too usually
  4. Beach bum/forest boy, so I guess you might call that country. Cities are too loud and busy for my tastes, though I still travel to them a lot
  5. Overcast, it's been rainy over the past couple days but seems to have let up. Nice 'n' breezy too.
6 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:
  1. How's your day going?
  2. You have any favorite memes?
  3. Why is Binding Blade your favorite Fire Emblem?
  4. Any manga/comic series you enjoy?
  5. Any other video game series, aside from Fire Emblem, you enjoy?
  1. Just got up cuz I'm a real lazy dude and I don't have to work for the next two weeks. So far so good
  2. "This is fine"
  3. First one I played. Given how much I put into it though, FEH would probably be more accurate, but I think people would rather know what a person's mainline favorite is
  4. Not really, no. I'm not even big into anime, with stand-outs like FLCL, AKIRA, and Miyazaki stuff getting my attention
  5. Tons, like Zelda, Castlevania, EarthBound, Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Pokemon (when I can keep up with it), most of the usual stuff like Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, etc of course too
5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. How did you discover Serenes Forest?
  2. Opinion of fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  5. Any particular reason you support Doctors Without Borders?
  1. Google or something, can't remember
  2. Smash is best since it asks less of you (though I know some people don't consider it a fighting game), but otherwise most are kinda samey to me. I was really big into Soul Calibur back when Dreamcast was a thing, but I haven't kept up with it.
  3. Hmmm that's a hard pick, because my favorites change like on a daily basis, ya know? I really have a wide taste for everything but the cheesiest of country music. My library is probably mostly "classic rock" if you wanna define that as 60's and 70's era stuff
  4. It's Richter Belmont, who's my favorite Castlevania character, as he appears in Symphony of the Night. My hair grows the same way as his, so I look a lot like him too. The picture itself was a piece of fanart I found and edited/cropped to focus on Richter
  5. Cuz they good-- they're very transparent and clear about how they use their money, which is quite efficiently, and they simply go wherever people are dying. Basically like Red Cross, but ballsier, in that they won't stay neutral, but instead denounce and bring attention to the humanitarian crimes perpetuated by nations and armies.
5 hours ago, Pengaius said:
  1. How do you mean you're feelin' grooovy
  2. First/current thoughts/opinions on me
  3. Do you care for politics 
  4. Favourite food
  5. If you don't mind disclosing (and it's fine to ignore this question) do you have any cool/weird hospital stories
  1. Hello lamppost, whatcha knowin, come to watch your flowers growin
  2. First impressions here kinda aren't much since it's usually just a random ass post, so I probably just thought that it would be easy to remember the penguin guy if he posts a lot. You seem alright.
  3. Yes, but more out of a sense of obligation, because it's not my idea of fun. I post somewhat regularly in the General US Politics thread too
  4. Don't make me pick... uh, I'll go with 5 of them: chicken parm, pineapple curry dishes, burritos, sushi, Trix cereal
  5. I'm someone who has phenomenal luck with health, so I've only had to go in for stitches a couple times and that's it. HOWEVER when I was 5, I got a rock in my eye and had to wear an eyepatch for a while, and they ended up taking it out with a laser somehow

1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?

15 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?
  1. I'm a fan of the original trilogy and the new movies. Hated the prequel stuff, never been much interested in the other stuff. My favorite is New Hope since it works as a stand-alone movie, and something about it makes it the most rewatchable for me.
  2. Hmm... Game of Thrones, Project Runway,
  3. Hate's a strong word, I'd say there are things and people I love but drive me nuts. For something closer to here, whenever there's like, a game or something where they do something so very right, but then also have something extremely dumb in there, it's frustrating.
  4. Well, I suppose with Smash having Castlevania in it now, I imagine there are people who want to give the series a try. I'd recommend either Super Castlevania IV or Symphony of the Night first. SCIV has the classic structure and challenge, but with fewer frustrating gameplay features than the NES games, primarily from having more forgiving controls. SoTN is somewhat easier since it uses RPG elements (exp, gear, healing items), but is absolutely beautiful (see Alucard below) and has a wide variety of ways to play, including a hidden Richter mode that plays wildly different (and the newer versions also feature another playable character mode with Maria Renard).
  5. That said, I'd highly suggest people avoid Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, the 3D games for N64 or PS2, and the Lords of Shadow subseries. Not only are they not very good at representing what the series is like, they range from ok to terrible in execution, often falling into trappings common to games of that time (like bad controls/camera angles in 3D games).

I mean check out that Symphony spritework:

alucard.gif.e9f6d8d892d0e6e1361058110b06b362.gif

Heyyyy there, fellow Symphony of the Night fan.

1. This question may have been asked to you in one manner or the other, but what did you think of Dracula's final line in the prologue for SoTN's English version?
  2. Were you able to play the alternate versions of SoTN (Saturn/PSP)?
  3. Are you stoked for the second season of Castlevania? What did you think of the first one?
  4. Are you a fan of most fictional portrayals of THAT ruler? Which one was the worst, in your opinion?
  5. With decades since The Lost Boys, Interview With the Vampire, and the White Wolf pen-and-paper RPG Vampire: The Masquerade, do you think the vampire subgenre has lost its magic/pizzazz? What do you suggest for it to return?

3 hours ago, Karimlan said:
  1. This question may have been asked to you in one manner or the other, but what did you think of Dracula's final line in the prologue for SoTN's English version?
  2. Were you able to play the alternate versions of SoTN (Saturn/PSP)?
  3. Are you stoked for the second season of Castlevania? What did you think of the first one?
  4. Are you a fan of most fictional portrayals of THAT ruler? Which one was the worst, in your opinion?
  5. With decades since The Lost Boys, Interview With the Vampire, and the White Wolf pen-and-paper RPG Vampire: The Masquerade, do you think the vampire subgenre has lost its magic/pizzazz? What do you suggest for it to return?
  1. You mean whether or not a man is a miserable little pile of secrets? I love his delivery. I uh, don't subscribe to Dracula's misanthropy though.
  2. I haven't been able to, I've never even touched a PSP. I guess I'll never experience SoTN's Maria mode, which supposedly was more on Saturn than PSP; Saturn gave her new broken kick moves like Richter had I guess, while PSP had her basically the same as Rondo. That's what I've heard, anyway.
  3. HELL YES. First one was amazing, and my only tiny "criticisms" would be that it was too short for how it was paced (but ended in a good place from a narrative perspective) and I understand that people were upset it didn't have music from the games. Characterization, direction, performances, everything was on point. Season 2 has Hector from Curse of Darkness apparently! It's interesting to see that they're willing to use whatever works to expand the show.
  4. To be honest, I haven't seen many beyond mainstream stuff like Gary Oldman's performance. I'm sure there's plenty of garbage out there though.
  5. I think there's definitely something that is eternally fascinating about that genre, whether you're looking at it from the perspective of a vampire or a human in the same world. I never got to try Masquerade, though I've always been willing to give it a shot. In regards to losing its allure, I think stuff like Twilight have reshaped the mainstream perception of it for the past decade or so, so there's a sort of stigma that unfairly associates it with pining young women (while I have zero interest in Twilight, I don't begrudge people for enjoying it, nor do I shame Stephanie Meyer). Anyway, like any genre or art, for it to make a grand comeback requires exploring it in new ways. How, I don't know, but at the core, it's about elements like the struggle of one's own troubled existence, or the fear of the unknown, so those elements surely play a key point.

1. You expressed an interest in vampires, have you considered watching JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
  2. Favourite non-vampiric mythical beast
  3. Raisins: Yay or Nay
  4. Do U h8 wen ppl tak lik dis?!??!!!?.
  5. Doth thou find to be vexing, when being spoken to,that the speaker uses roundabout and unnecessary vocabulary to make their point, and is such a manner of speaking thine preferance?

13 minutes ago, Pengaius said:
  1. You expressed an interest in vampires, have you considered watching JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
  2. Favourite non-vampiric mythical beast
  3. Raisins: Yay or Nay
  4. Do U h8 wen ppl tak lik dis?!??!!!?.
  5. Doth thou find to be vexing, when being spoken to,that the speaker uses roundabout and unnecessary vocabulary to make their point, and is such a manner of speaking thine preferance?
  1. I suppose I should say that something having vampires isn't enough of a draw for me. I'm more interested in the idea of fighting them than observing them, which is why I have zero interest in something like Twilight (disregarding whatever other qualities it has). Haven't considered that show, I'm sure it's good and all but I'm too lazy to get into a new show without someone basically sitting me down and making me watch something. Right now, I'm living alone and have no cable, so...
  2. The phoenix
  3. They're ok, not my top snack but I don't mind them in things generally
  4. Yes, especially if it's in like an online game or something, because it's harder to read than real stuff and I have to slowly break it down
  5. If someone's doing it in a joke or whatever, it doesn't really bother me, but I hate when people do things like that (even if not in the "ye olde fashioned" way) to deliberately avoid the topic at hand. Like when politicians give meandering non-answers when asked something very simple, which is probably the worst thing since it's just part of the game they play to not commit to something. I suppose that's a little different though.

4 minutes ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

1.) Thoughts on pineapples on pizza?

2.) Favorite things in the Fantasy Genre?

3.) Thoughts on the SCP Foundation?

4.) Thoughts on the Horror genre?

5.) Favorite food?

1. Best topping
  2. SWORDS! No but actually, if the writing is quality then the fantasy world and its inhabitants reflect the real world, human nature, etc. Nothing interesting about fantasy writing that has weak world building too-- amateur fantasy writers make this mistake by not spending enough time looking at why everything in their world came to be the way it is, and studying the real world is the best way to understand that sort of thing.
  3. Never heard of it
  4. I have no interest in jumpy slasher stuff, it's generally just shallow thrills and gore. I jive with the more "nightmarish" kind of horror that's less about dying in scary ways, and more in line with being dark fairy tales in the sense of being a cautionary story or exploration of a person's choices.
  5. I'll copy what I wrote earlier: chicken parm, pineapple curry dishes, burritos, sushi, Trix cereal

1. Do you watch Marvel movies, and if so, what's your favorite?

2. Least favorite thing about Heroes?

3. Least favorite thing about the Binding Blade?

4. Least favorite FE?

5. Favorite area of academic interest? Like philosophy, biology, etc.

10 minutes ago, Alistair said:

1. Do you watch Marvel movies, and if so, what's your favorite?

2. Least favorite thing about Heroes?

3. Least favorite thing about the Binding Blade?

4. Least favorite FE?

5. Favorite area of academic interest? Like philosophy, biology, etc.

1. I haven't seen any of them, but from what I've been told, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 would be the one that most suits my tastes. Someday I might even watch em!
  2. Hmm... in terms of gameplay, it's probably as simple as something like Bold Fighter. In terms of representation, the lack of Binding Blade stuff. In terms of art and things, I generally dislike stuff like when armor looks ridiculous (huge or impractical stuff, like Frederick's excess plating or the all-too-common boobplates) or how most of the female characters posed in a sort of dainty and helpless way despite being total badasses.
  3. In terms of gameplay, the lack of flexibility in the core gameplay; I suppose I've been spoiled by Awakening, but I'd like a remake to have a greater number of ways to play. In terms of story, etc, I wish characters had paired endings like in games after. I imagine they'd rectify that in a remake.
  4. Haven't played half of them, so I dunno if I have a least favorite. I can appreciate what each one does, though I'm not afraid to criticize their shortcomings either.
  5. I suppose I should say the stuff I teach, but I have a wide variety of interests and I tend to jump from field to field quite a bit. Generally more into all of the arts and sciences, followed by the civics/governance/management side of things. Using whatever I know or can learn to create, refine, or do some problem solving is a major motivator for me.

1. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  2. Favorite card/board game?
  3. Thoughts on puzzle games?
  4. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  5. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  6. Something you would tell your younger self?

1 minute ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  2. Favorite card/board game?
  3. Thoughts on puzzle games?
  4. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  5. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  6. Something you would tell your younger self?
  1. Never read the books, but I love the movies. Fellowship is the best, of course, and the other two are good but sort of missing something that drew me into Fellowship. As for the Hobbit movies, I saw the first one and knew it was a botch job (I highly recommend Lindsay Ellis's video essay on the trilogy), so I skipped the other two. However, there's a phenomenal fan edit of that trilogy that cuts much of the glut and shifts the focus to align closer to the books.
  2. Dead Man's Cards! It's not a real game, I just always suggest that when people want to play a card game. I don't really a favorite card game, but I'll try anything. As for board games, my favorite is Diplomacy, but nobody ever wants to play it with me.
  3. Like Tetris? Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack are my favorites.
  4. Flashy is cool, as long as it's not pointless like Star Wars prequel lightsaber antics. Here's one of my favorite fight scenes from a live-action movie (Hero, starring Jet Li). I'd link a fight scene from Castlevania (Netflix) if I could find it on youtube.   d .
  5. Oh, I dunno, I'm not that attached to fictional characters. Whoever's fun, so someone like Gray or Felicia.
  6. Wouldn't matter, younger me wouldn't have listened. I could give myself the best advice in the universe and not use that wisdom.

I just spent the last several minutes looking at the videos you linked. Thank you for that that! They were enjoyable!

As for the questions:

1. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  2. Something that had to grow on you?
  3. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  4. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  5. Favorite dream you've ever had?

51 minutes ago, Johann said:

I'd link a fight scene from Castlevania (Netflix) if I could find it on youtube

I hope it's not Alucard vs Trevor Belmont   haha.

More queries *grin*

1. Were you one of those guys who thought that once you got the Crissaegrim sword on Symphony of the Night, the game is busted wide open?
  2. Prior to getting the aforementioned item, what boss strategy did you employ the most?
  3. Ever had the chance to play the Japanese version of the game?
  4. What is so bad about Simon's Quest that you recommend people stay away from it, given that SoTN's object in the endgame seems close to that of the NES title?
  5. How did you like Alucard's transition into Genya Arikado, or how Konami went about it at least?