SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

I. Which of the classical and Chinese elements do you like most?

II. Which of the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues do you most relate to?

III. How were you introduced to Fire Emblem?

IV. What led you to Serenesforest?

V. Origin of your username?

VI. Hot or cold?

VII. Do you have a favorite history or mythology to learn about?

I. Allow me to answer this question with an excerpt from a song by a defunct band from Austin, TX named Averse Sefira:

Spoiler

The Mind says, "I am not of the Body.
When the Body ceases, I will be set free.
I direct the Shell to move."

The Soul says, "I am not of the Body.
When Death comes, I shall reunite with the Void.
I am the Engine of the Vessel."

The Spirit says, "I am not of the Body.
If I die, there is no longer reason to Exist.
I am the fuel that fills the Form and gives it Power."

The Body says, "It is only through Me that you are realized.
I am that which makes you known. Without Me, you have no Home."

The Fire says, 'I am your Master. I govern you all as Passions.
The Body melts at my touch. The Spirit burns at ignition.
The Soul ashes at recession. The Mind an inferno at my stoking."

--Averse Sefira, "Viral Kinesis"

Interestingly enough, my zodiac sign (Sagittarius) coincides with my favorite Chinese element.

II. I think I would be Wrath. I'm slow to anger, but once I get fed up, I can do really screwy things. As for the virtues, I would be Patience.

III. It started with me looking for a game like Famicom Wars and TurboGrafx-16's Military Madness (which you might recall seeing a Playstation game of that was named Nectaris: Military Madness) in 2006. I saw Advance Wars for the GBA and after playing the game, thought, "would there be a quasi-medieval/sword-and-sorcery type game with Advance Wars' mechanics?" Enter Sacred Stones and Blazing Blade (yep, played them in THAT order).

IV. I was visiting the website on a sporadic basis from 2016 onward, mainly for Fire Emblem news, trivia and whatnot. When Heroes was released, I had begun to actively seek out more info on skills, banners, the whole shebang. The forum was pretty much an afterthought until very, very recently.

V. Depending on who you talk to, Karimlan could mean two things in Filipino: obscurity or darkness. I chose the username since it represents a facet of my personality that is brooding and introspective, very rarely letting anyone past the outlying marsh that is my psyche.

VI. I like my coffee and soup hot. I like my beer cold.

VII. I would like to learn more about how esoteric groups like Dragon Rouge interpret key points of the "underworlds" of most mythologies (Christian, Norse, Hindu, Jewish, to name a few) and consolidate these into what some people call Left-Hand Path thinking.

Edited by Karimlan

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there! Here are a few questions from me.

1. Any video game genre you're not good at?
2. Your favourite band?
3. Any music besides metal that you like?
4. Any place you want to visit someday?
5. Any game you hold close to your heart even if the game's fanbase at large doesn't like it?

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hi there! Here are a few questions from me.

1. Any video game genre you're not good at?
2. Your favourite band?
3. Any music besides metal that you like?
4. Any place you want to visit someday?
5. Any game you hold close to your heart even if the game's fanbase at large doesn't like it?

Guten Tag!

1. It would have to be puzzle games. I could solve a couple of them, but I don't realty have the patience.
  2. Out of all the bands I listed in answering @IfIHadToPickADude's question, it would be a tie between Incantation, Kreator, and Darkthrone. These three would be my veritable "gateway bands" to the main subgenres (as it were) of metal—death, thrash, and black metal. Incantation (from Pennsylvania) have this menacingly murky and foreboding sound to go with the atonal guitar riffs, Kreator (who hail from Essen) were as much an influence to be as Slayer would be for people my age during the time thrash metal was being played a whole lot (yup, you have thrash bands coming from San Francisco on one hand, and harder-edged bands from Germany in the other), and Norway's Darkthrone's otherworldly soundscapes paved the way for my subsequent forays into the more "Necro" stuff.
  3. Classical music, Delta blues, and rock.
  4. Besides Wacken, in Schleswig-Holstein? :D I'd like to visit Japan, Sweden, Norway, and France (in no particular order). I'd like to see more of Germany too, as I've only just been to Frankfurt and Munich (sadly, not during Oktoberfest, but it still did not stop me from getting my fill of the best sausages and beer).
  5. There's Thracia 776, which seems to be ballyhooed by a lot of people :P  For non-FE games, methinks it would be Final Fantasy V, just because of the ragequit-inducing difficulty.

1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?
  6. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  7. Favorite card/board game?
  8. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  9. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  10. Something you would tell your younger self?

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell them to stay the heck away from?
  6. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  7. Favorite card/board game?
  8. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  9. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  10. Something you would tell your younger self?

Good, you're taking advantage of the quota. :D

1. I'm gonna rattle off a few here. 
    Spoiler
    • I've watched the Original Six, and that's that. I was not that into The Force Awakens, Rogue One and The Last Jedi.
    • My favorite character of all time: Boba Fett.
    • I've played a few of the Star Wars games, but two come to mind most readily: the Return of the Jedi video game that came out on the SNES, and the fighting game released on the Playstation whose name I can no longer recall.

2. I thought I was not going to like Bravely Default for the Nintendo 3DS, but I ended up enjoying it a whole lot.

3. I love and hate the creative direction that the Tekken fighting games have taken, particularly with the DLCs. I can understand gamers wanting to pit two badass villains like Kazuya Mishima and Geese Howard against one another, but the addition of Negan from The Walking Dead and Noctis from Final Fantasy XV? I'm still scratching my head on those two things.

4. If someone is interested in picking up, say, Ghost in the Shell, I would offer up glowing recommendations to the '95 OVA, and to Stand-Alone Complex/Stand-Alone Complex 2nd GiG.

5. Corollary to the previous query: I'd advise them to steer clear of the live-action movie and the Arise series...at least until they've watched the earlier stuff.

6. Rattling off a few opinions as well:

Spoiler
    • I thought that the Nazgul were really very awesome dark knights.
    • As a fiction series, it's as pivotal as any can get—you can even argue that Michael Moorcock's series on the Eternal Champion (e.g, Elric of Melnibone), Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword and such would not exist without it. Hell, a lot of the stuff I listen to draw from Tolkien—band names, lyrical content, and so on.

7. I used to play Magic: The Gathering (from Beta Unlimited to the Stronghold expansion—that spans a period of about 4-5 years from 1993-1998). I still try to keep abreast of the mechanics, but I no longer own decks. Used to play Risk and Warhammer 40K as well.

8. Depends on the context of the film/anime. There are movies that draw upon a certain level of embellishment on their fight scenes (see the Undisputed series of movies starring Scott Adkins) and still get away with them, while countless other fail miserably (Blade II comes to mind, with Wesley Snipes trying to do these pro-wrestling moves that seemingly fall a tad out of place, or are otherwise tastelessly done).

9. I doubt I'd ever be able to out-bench press Bartre, so I'll most probably hook up with either Effie or Stahl on an all-you-can-eat buffet.

10. "You never know." It would certainly have helped me relax a lot more.

1. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  2. Something that had to grow on you?
  3. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  4. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  5. Favorite dream you've ever had?

Hi there.

1. Favorite superhero?

2. Favorite video game of all time?

3. Have you traveled to any other countries?

4. Thoughts on Doctor Who?

5. Which video game franchises would you like to get into?

Salutations! It's been a while since I did one of these.

1. What are your life's ambitions?

2. What draws you to the Fire Emblem series?

3. How did you find Serenes Forest?

4. Do you watch movies and which ones do you enjoy?

5. What's your favorite book or books?

17 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  2. Something that had to grow on you?
  3. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  4. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  5. Favorite dream you've ever had?
  1. Reading. And video games. They were both an escape.
  2. Cooking. I initially did not have the patience for it.
  3. I'd pay good money to see remakes of the following movies (all of which are adaptations from books): The Boys From Brazil, A Clockwork Orange, and Dr. Strangelove. Incidentally, Kubrick's genius on the latter two would be a tough act to follow, so I'm definitely gonna pay good money to find out if the remakes can fill Stanley's britches.
  4. Batman is an iconic superhero. He has gone through a lot of retooling through the years, and you can even argue that these retoolings reflect a facet of society and its ever-changing mores.
  5. Meeting the Princess of Mozzarella in a comic book/gaming convention.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Hi there.

1. Favorite superhero?

2. Favorite video game of all time?

3. Have you traveled to any other countries?

4. Thoughts on Doctor Who?

5. Which video game franchises would you like to get into?

Hey! hanks for dropping by.

1. I don't consider him much of a hero, but it would be John Constantine (Hellblazer). The appeal of a working-class mage/occultist is something I always have a hard time doing away with.
  2. Four games would be vying for that distinction in my books, at the very least: Xenogears, Earthbound, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy Tactics.
  3. I've traveled to Singapore, the Netherlands, England, and Germany (although I have stayed there much too short for my liking). I currently reside and work in the Philippines.
  4. I am not a big fan of the Doctor, but I'm starting now on the series that began in 2005.
  5. I've always had a mind to check out the Lunar and Phantasy Star games, but have never gotten to playing anything other than my "gateway games" for either: Silver Star Story Complete for the former, Phantasy Star Portable for the latter.

2 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:
  1. What are your life's ambitions?
  2.  What draws you to the Fire Emblem series?
  3. How did you find Serenes Forest?
  4. Do you watch movies and which ones do you enjoy?
  5. What's your favorite book or books?
  1. To become a "citizen of the world," pretty much, absorbing from the cultures of the places I have gone and will go to, as much as possible.

2. Most of the series' characters have well-written backstories to them, and I'm just hooked. I'm all for the gravitas.

3. Found SF when I was looking for more info on the more latter-day FE games (Awakening and Fates). Started lurking in the forums a lot more when Heroes came out.

4. I watch movies any time I'm not busy working or playing games, and a lot of all-time favorites come to mind (barring the aforementioned classics by Kubrick): Se7en, Jacob's Ladder, Being John Malkovich, and Angel Heart, to name but a few. Currently, I am rewatching Good Night, and Good Luck.

5. There are a few more that come to mind, apart from the ones I've mentioned on @IfIHadToPickADude's question: a couple of Ray Bradbury's works (Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes), a couple of Kurt Vonnegut's works (Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions), Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, and most of Salman Rushdie's and Umberto Eco's works.

1. Do you read Awkward Zombie? If so, favorite comic?
  2. Do you read any webcomics?
  3. Favorite Newspaper comic?
  4. Strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
  5. Trampolines. Like/dislike/don’t care for them?
  6. First impressions on the new Fire Emblem game?

9 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Four games would be vying for that distinction in my books, at the very least: Xenogears, Earthbound, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Oooh, nice to see another Xenogears fan. That game has the best story out of any JRPG in my opinion.

1. Aside from Xenogears, have you played any of the other games in the Xeno series?
  2. Favorite book series?
  3. Most frustrating boss fight?
  4. Thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
  5. Least favorite game?

On 11/13/2018 at 2:17 PM, Karimlan said:
  • Not really, no. The rank (such as it may be called) is a reference to a British wrestler currently working with Ring of Honor(US)/New Japan Pro Wrestling named Marty Scurll (aka The Villain).
  • I read—a lot. I perhaps am reading a lot more nowadays than I'm playing video games as my consoles/handhelds are busted. I love all sorts of genres, although most of the stuff in my bookcase/tablet veer toward nonfiction, history and satire.
  • Compared to my gateway FE game (Sacred Stones), I found Thracia to be a lot more challenging. Gameplay elements like the character fatigue and the stat caps make the game more engaging, decision-wise.
  • I used to play the original Command and Conquer games, and their spin-offs up to Generals, and that's where my RTS predilection sorta tapered off. As far as strategy games go, I am a BIG fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and the Ogre Battle series, although I have not gotten to finishing A Person of Lordly Caliber since I never owned a Nintendo 64.
  • I can't do math to save my life.

Sehr wohl antwortet, mein Herr.

1. Favorite works of literature in your favorite genres?
  2. Favorite historical figure?
  3. Languages spoken?
  4. Countries visited?
  5. Games on your bucket list?
  6. Favorite meme/joke/etc.?
  7. Favorite pastime overall?

23 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Do you read Awkward Zombie? If so, favorite comic?
  2. Do you read any webcomics?
  3. Favorite Newspaper comic?
  4. Strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
  5. Trampolines. Like/dislike/don’t care for them?
  6. First impressions on the new Fire Emblem game?
  1. I do! My favorite has always been Surf Strike. It's set up like a cartoon from Chuck Jones-era Tom & Jerry and that's what had me hooked since.
  2. Apart from Awkward Zombie and Mutts, I don't follow a lot of them any more closely than a link here and there.
  3. Conversely, I've followed a whole lot of other newspaper comics (Archie, Beetle Bailey, Blondie, and such). Far and away though, what I always look out for every day is Gary Larson's The Far Side.
  4. Mole crickets, fried in vinegar, garlic and soy sauce.
  5. I've always thought it was a lubricant for prostitutes. Just kidding! I was fond of them as a kid.
  6. It looks promising, although a few more sneak peeks would have sufficed.
18 hours ago, Armagon said:
  1. Aside from Xenogears, have you played any of the other games in the Xeno series?
  2. Favorite book series?
  3. Most frustrating boss fight?
  4. Thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
  5. Least favorite game?
  1. Xenosaga I and II. Halfway into the third installment, my PS2 had filed its retirement, sadly.
  2. The Elric series by Michael Moorcock, most definitely.
  3. There are a few that come to mind: Mundus from the first Devil May Cry, Omega Weapon and Shinryu/Neo Shinryu from Final Fantasy V, Kefka's forms in Final Fantasy VI, and Xenogears' Deus.
  4. I'm not very comfortable with the retcons done, but then I guess art is not created in a vacuum, so I decided to extend my suspension of disbelief further.
  5. It would have to be Katamari Damacy and its spin-offs. I just didn't get the concept.
15 hours ago, Stephen the Great said:
  1. Favorite works of literature in your favorite genres?
  2. Favorite historical figure?
  3. Languages spoken?
  4. Countries visited?
  5. Games on your bucket list?
  6. Favorite meme/joke/etc.?
  7. Favorite pastime overall?
  1. If by this question you mean games whose themes lift from works of literature, it would have to be the Xenosaga games, that explore themes from the works of Jung and Nietzsche.
  2. My favorite historical figure/s would either be Gustave Gilbert or Leopold Alexander. One was known for his interviews with high-ranking Nazi officials after WWII, the other was the co-author of the Nuremberg Code that provides legal and ethical principles on human experimentation.
  3. I speak English and Filipino fluently. My German is fair-to-middlin' nowadays, while my French and Spanish is very, very rusty.
  4. England, The Netherlands, Germany and Singapore. Currently residing and working in Manila, Philippines.
  5. TONS. Etrian Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles, FE Echoes, and those are just the RPGs/SRPGs. I might be (re)purchasing a 3DS over the holidays so I can work on that backlog, but my next console purchase after that would probably be in the summer of 2019 (I'm planning to get a Nintendo Switch).
  6. Having grown up listening and watching a lot of standup comedy, it's difficult for me to pin down a favorite joke. Ditto for memes, since we pretty much have an organism in and of itself here that draws on pop culture and sorta apes itself to create content. So yeah, I don't really play favorites in comedy and memery (if there is even such a word).
  7. Reading. Video games are only as pervasive as long as you got power running, whereas you can never go wrong with paper.
13 hours ago, ProfImpossible said:

Yo, hows it going?

1.) What is your preferred type of shoe?

2.) Have you read much Roger Zelazny?

3.) Do you have a favorite director?

4.) Have you listened to any BORIS?

5.) Cake, or pie?

Things are okay, pretty much. Can't complain, Onizuka-kun :D

1. Leather moccasins during workdays, Dr. Martens boots (the good ol' 1460 8-eye boot) on casual days.
  2. I've read Zelazny's works only sporadically through the years, like a couple books from the Corwin series and a book from the Merlin one, and I don't remember which.
  3. Stanley Kubrick, hands down. The man is a genius.
  4. I picked up a Boris album (Smile, IIRC) after I saw their collaboration with Sunn O))) in a music festival in NY. Got the next couple albums afterward too (New Album, and Heavy Rocks).
  5. Cake. No contest.

Edited by Karimlan

12 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

6. Favourite wrestler?
7. Have you seen / heard of Lucha Underground? If yes, what do you think of it?
8. Your favourite subject in school?
9. Spicy or sweet food?
10. Thoughts on the recent AAA gaming controversies?

6. Minoru Suzuki will always be the benchmark by which I judge badassery by. Here you have a man who was trained by Karl Gotch, went into a proto-MMA promotion (Pancrase), and, during his stint there, handily defeated BOTH men who ended up being in the UFC (Ken and Frank Shamrock). He walks out to the ring with a song from the anime EX-Driver, and has been featured in a One Piece episode. You will not want to take a joint lock or choke from him, much less the Gotch-style Piledriver.

7. I've watched the first season, but I haven't gotten to seeing anything after that. I watched Penta el Zero/Pentagon Jr. lose to New Japan Pro's Kenny Omega at the All In PPV last September though.

8.  History and literature.

9. Spicy.

10. Haven't kept abreast much of the news, but I've really steered clear of those games and their publishers (they suck, really).

Edited by Karimlan

1. Ever heard of Blustone before?
  2. Do you play any mobile games?
  3. Thoughts/Opinions on Indiana Jones?
  4. Oldest book you’ve ever read?
  5. Oldest movie you’ve ever watched?
  6. Favorite Fictional Villain?
  7. Favorite Pixar Movie?
  8. Favorite Disney Movie?
  9. Favorite Fire Emblem Meme?
  10. Favorite Character in Super Smash Brothers?
  11. Favorite video game weapon?
  12. Favorite fictional invention?

15 hours ago, Pengaius said:
  1. T'sup brah?
  2. Opinion on JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
  3. Obligatory impressions of me question
  4. favourite desert
  5. favourite dessert
  1. Nothing much. Just relaxing and being bored.
  2. I've not followed the manga (much less the anime) at all, though I'm familiar with the Dio bit ("It was me") and recall playing a fighting game on the Playstation featuring characters from the manga years ago.
  3. You're okay, I guess. Yay butter! *high five*
  4. Mojave, to be sure.
  5. Black Forest cake (the original one that has cherry liqueur). That, or a really good mango cheesecake.
13 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Ever heard of Blustone before?
  2. Do you play any mobile games?
  3. Thoughts/Opinions on Indiana Jones?
  4. Oldest book you’ve ever read?
  5. Oldest movie you’ve ever watched?
  6. Favorite Fictional Villain?
  7. Favorite Pixar Movie?
  8. Favorite Disney Movie?
  9. Favorite Fire Emblem Meme?
  10. Favorite Character in Super Smash Brothers?
  11. Favorite video game weapon?
  12. Favorite fictional invention?
  1. I have, but I don't play it though.
  2. I play three atm: Fire Emblem Heroes, Granblue Fantasy, and Darkness Rises.
  3. They ought to have stopped with the first one.
  4. Machiavelli's The Prince.
  5. It's the 1953 biopic of Martin Luther.
  6. Victor von Doom.
  7. Wall-E.
  8. Not much of a Disney guy, sorry.
  9. Not really much of a mainline Fire Emblem meme, but in Heroes, Magic is Everything!
  10. Wolf.
  11. The Crissaegrim from Symphony of the Night.
  12. Hmmmmm..the cyberbrains in the Ghost in the Shell universe.

Last set of questions from me:

1. Something you’re glad you tried, but will never do again?
  2. Something that seems to bother others, but never/rarely you?
  3. Something you want to like, but can’t for one reason or another?
  4. Something you wish had a sequel?
  5. Thoughts/opinions on the Elder Scrolls?
  6. Favorite/Least Favorite story trope/cliche?
  7. Favorite/Least Favorite character trope/cliche?
  8. Favorite/Least Favorite gameplay trope/cliche?
  9. Did you enjoy your interview?

Last set of questions before the nomination time starts

1. Any countries you would like to visit?

2. Least favorite game in your favorite video gsme series?

3. Hot or cold?

4. What's a game you really hated?

5. Top 5 movies you have watched?

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Something you’re glad you tried, but will never do again?
  2. Something that seems to bother others, but never/rarely you?
  3. Something you want to like, but can’t for one reason or another?
  4. Something you wish had a sequel?
  5. Thoughts/opinions on the Elder Scrolls?
  6. Favorite/Least Favorite story trope/cliche?
  7. Favorite/Least Favorite character trope/cliche?
  8. Favorite/Least Favorite gameplay trope/cliche?
  9. Did you enjoy your interview?
  1. Eating those mole crickets.
  2. Being articulate (or, as others see it, verbose).
  3. Final Fantasy games after VII.
  4. The movie Dogma.
  5. Played Skyrim, thought it was great.
  6. Favorite: Sealed Evil in a Can. Least favorite: Balance Between Good and Evil
  7. Favorite: Large Ham. Least favorite: Consigliere (because it's often poorly done).
  8. Favorite: An Adventurer is You. Least Favorite: 20 Bear Asses.
  9. I did, thanks. :)
7 hours ago, Armagon said:
  1. Any countries you would like to visit?
  2.  Least favorite game in your favorite video gsme series?
  3.  Hot or cold?
  4. What's a game you really hated?
  5. Top 5 movies you have watched?
  1. Japan, Norway, Canada, and a whole lot more of Germany.
  2. Final Fantasy VIII and every game in the series thereafter.
  3. Hot soup, hot coffee. Cold soda, cold beer.
  4. Enemy Zero for the Sega Saturn.
  5. In no particular order: Being John Malkovich, Se7en, The Usual Suspects, Good Night and Good Luck, The Silence of the Lambs, and Dogma.