SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

19. Why? Isn't the whole thing from the US?

20. You mean the coins? They're cool.

Re 19: I have no idea either. Although this is making me wish our trip to France had been in December.

21. What do you think of people who want to get rid of pennies/one cent pieces?

22. Would you rather live a ling, uneventful life, or a short but exciting one?

23. Dog person or cat person?

24. Opinion on this: http://www.newmuseumstore.org/browse.cfm/fuck-snow-globe/4,2538.html

25. Have you ever had flammekueche?

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very good question, and in my opinion it ultimately comes down to a matter of legal positivism (i.e. obediance to the law as the objectivized replacement for justice) versus legal naturalism (i.e. the law is inferior to what is naturally just). If you've read my answer to Crizix's question about nihilism, you'll know that I do not believe it is possible to knowingly know objective truth - I must therefore assume that all our truth is subjective. Because all our truth is subjective, neither I nor anyone else can know what is right and what is wrong. Sure, we have our opinions on what is right and wrong, but we know nothing. We must trust to something though - or else we can't live our lives. That's what we have authority (most strongly in the form of government and law) for. It provides us with objectivized rules to replace our subjective rules.

Obediance to authority doesn't mean you have to take everything what your government does. Dutch law knows many procedures of complaint and various other likewise procedures to fight what government does. Because these procedures are laid down in laws, obediance to authority also means people have every right to make use of these procedures - and obediance to authority means that government can't do anything against it (nor should desire to do anything against it).

I realize that not all political entities have such laws. In fact, in despotisms, speaking out against the despot would soon be considered treason, and therefore punished harshly. I may personally strongly disagree with this, but it is in accordance with the authority of said despotism, and I must therefore resign myself to it.

Legal positivism is unfortunately not a solution to all problems of justice. It is a practical solution.

The thing is, Hatt, the Netherlands is a civilized country. Even Brazil is a civilized country when it comes to laws (and so is most of the west and east asia, so there aren't any extremely problematic laws in these places), but think of the situation of a woman in Saudi Arabia or a homossexual in one of the subsaharian countries that punish that with death penality or time in prison. You have to remember that all authority is human, and therefore prone to mistakes, sometimes even intentionally. Just think of a dictatorship. If you just question the dictator, you will end up in a bad position. I do believe that laws are for the best and that society would be terrible without them, but i just can't think of asking "universal obedience of law" as something good. I think your view might be skewed by the fact that you live in a place with good laws. Just to give you an exemple of what I mean, think of that african american civil rights activist who would ride "white only" busses back in the days of segregation in the US. She was breaking the law, but that breaking of the law helped make the life of millions of people better and gave her cause visibility. It didn't harm anyone. If your with came true, she'd never be able to protest the way she did.

Just some food for thought.

Edited by Nobody

>Gets asked who favorite FE character is.

>Totally forgets Tiki.

Derp.

Re 19: I have no idea either. Although this is making me wish our trip to France had been in December.
21. What do you think of people who want to get rid of pennies/one cent pieces?
22. Would you rather live a ling, uneventful life, or a short but exciting one?
23. Dog person or cat person?
24. Opinion on this: http://www.newmuseumstore.org/browse.cfm/fuck-snow-globe/4,2538.html
25. Have you ever had flammekueche?

21. Filthy plebeians. Even if they've lost most of their practical use, pennies are a traditional part of the system.

22. "I do not care how long my life is, as long as it is good."

SEE TINY THAT IS ONE OF THOSE QUOTES I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED

23. Not really either. I'm okay with either when they're harmless, but I've had bad experiences with both cats and dogs in the past, so I'm wary.

24. It's pretty stupid, but if people want it, sure.

25. I may have? If I have, I don't remember.

The thing is, Hatt, the Netherland is a civilized country. Even Brazil is a civilized country when it comes to laws (and so is most of the west and east asia, so there aren't any extremely problematic laws in these places), but think of the situation of a woman in Saudi Arabia or a homossexual in on the the subsaharian countries that punish that with death penality or time in prison. You have to remember that all authority is human, and therefore prone to mistakes, sometimes even intentionally. Just think of a dictatorship. If you just question the dictator, you will end up in a bad position. I do believe that laws are for the best and that society would be terrible without them, but i just can't think of asking "universal obedience of law" as something good. I think your view might be skewed by the fact that you live in a place with good laws. Just to give you an exemple of what I mean, think of that african american civil avtivist who would ride "white only" busses back in the days of segregation in the US. She was breaking the law, but that breaking of the law helped make the life of millions of people better and gave her cause visibility. It didn't harm anyone. If your with came true, she'd never be able to protest the way she did.
Just some food for thought.

I am aware of this problem. However, we are once again dealing with subjective matters here. I am not for segregation of black people and white people, I am not for prosecution of homosexuals or the situation of women in Saudi Arabia - I am against all that. But evidently there are and were societies that consider such things just. Let's take slavery as an example. In today's society, we consider the prohibition of slavery ius cogens, which means: binding international law. However, the Romans considered the right to hold slavery ius gentium, which means: law which is common to all people. My point is: even those things we consider universally just or injust, are still matters of opinion.

I realize that through disobediance of authority big changes (for better or for worse) have happened and will always continue to happen. This is simply how human nature works. I can advocate obediance to authority, but how much would that change? It's just the natural flow of things.

31. How good are you in a crisis?
32. Sci-fi, fantasy, or a mix?
33. Worst fic you've ever written?
34. How adaptable would you say you are?
35. If you could receive the answer to one question, what would you ask?
36. If you were a final boss, what would your theme be?
37. Favorite trope?
38. If you could spend 15 minutes with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
39. What are the top 2 compliments you hear from people about yourself?
40. Top 2 insults?

31. I always feel like I can't handle them, but I always manage to get out of them.

32. Fantasy.

33. ...Have I ever written a fic?

34. I can adapt pretty easily.

35. What is just?

36. Swordsman of a Distant Star.

37. Don't know much about tropes.

38. Well, that's a difficult question. I'll say Marcus Aurelius again.

39. People say I'm smart, and er... er...

40. Both Dutch: "doerak" and "schobbejak." It's sarcastic, by the way.

not really a question ,but eh

Can you take this test and post what you got?

Oh God, this test. Isn't this the test that makes everyone a leftist?

It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society.

Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races.

Yup.

Edited by Hattusili I

26. Have you ever had blueberry pancakes?

27. If you ever got a pet, what animal would you want as a pet?

28. Would you rather be a dragon or ride a dragon?

29. Would you rather be king of a large territory over which you had somewhat weak control, or a smaller territory with absolute control?

30. Do you want to live forever?

Whatever noble goals there were (and still are, I guess) on either side, they got buried under a huge shitstorm, sadly. In the end, I think it caused more trouble than it did good, for which the shitstorm (and those involved in the shitstorm) should be blamed - not the people who actually tried to achieve something good; they get my sympathy. I hope that in the end GamerGate actually accomplished something. I don't like the thought of putting so much effort into something only to have it fail.

Understandable.

26. Have you ever had blueberry pancakes?

27. If you ever got a pet, what animal would you want as a pet?

28. Would you rather be a dragon or ride a dragon?

29. Would you rather be king of a large territory over which you had somewhat weak control, or a smaller territory with absolute control?

30. Do you want to live forever?

26. Nope.

27. A hamster or a bunny.

28. Ride a dragon.

29. Depends on what's the cause of the somewhat weak control. Is it disobediance of local governments? Then smaller territory. Is it natural, in accordance with the law? Then larger is fine.

30. Hell no. I'm already tired as is.

okay, that one is very lame

try this one instead plox

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html, it seemed better

I'm more interested in the vertical axis, tho

Alright, but this thing is US oriented.

"The importance of patriotism is overrated."

In the US maybe, but in the Netherlands? Hell no, the complete opposite.

"The military budget should be scaled back."

I have no idea how it is in the US, but in the Netherlands it's already way below NATO agreements.

Still doubting whether or not I should post the results. It is against my principles, actually.

1. I am an individual with with my individual opinions and do not wish to be classified as a collective.

2. I care more about discussing the statements themselves than simply showing some graph.

how would you rank the FEs you've played so far?

which FE are you looking forward to play?

which FE you are least looking forward to play?

I love all FE equally.

All of them. I'm especially interested in the most recent titles though. I want to see if FE13 is really as bad as everyone says it is and I want to see what direction FE14 takes the series in.

I don't know... Maybe FE11 because I've already played through it once. But I was a noob and couldn't get past chapter 24, so this experience will be completely different.

31. What country has the best food?

32. What's the best kind of cheese?

33. Have you ever had a reuben?

34. What will you do without Ciryes?

35. Why is Belgium such a bum of a country?

31. Italy.

32. Jong belegen. Don't know what that is in English.

33. No, I haven't.

34. Cry myself to sleep.

35. It seceded from the awesome country that is the Netherlands, thereby violating law and international treaty.

Bunch of bums.

did you think i was hoshi?

>8]

No.

8]

36. Are you afraid of death?

37. What's your saddest memory?

38. What's your happiest memory?

39. Do you like piña coladas?

40. And getting caught in the rain?

36. Not really, but somehow I am. I think living a happy life means being able to stand still at any point and think: "If I died now, I'd die happily." That's something I try to live by, but there's always things. I feel like I need to finish my law study and FE games. There's also a ton of other stuff I worry about. So in a sense, I am afraid.

37. Losing my favorite stuffed animal when I was one year old. It's had such an impact on me that it's also my oldest memory.

38. Probably that one week last February when my girlfriend-at-the-time stayed with me.

39. Never had one.

40. I don't mind rain that much, but it can be annoying.

Have you ever had bubble tea?

Which flower would you say describes your personality best?

What would you do if one random day, you woke up and discovered that you've very suddenly lost your ability to read and write? (It's temporary, but you don't know that.)

Then how would you react when it comes back to you after a week?

Have you ever had bubble tea?

Which flower would you say describes your personality best?

What would you do if one random day, you woke up and discovered that you've very suddenly lost your ability to read and write? (It's temporary, but you don't know that.)

Then how would you react when it comes back to you after a week?

No, I haven't. :0 I don't even know what that is!

Uhh... dunno.

Freak the hell out, then later probably ask people to read and write stuff for me. Try to get some stuff arranged with people to read and write for me, so I don't miss the most important things.

I would be so incredibly happy.

How much do you know about North and South American history?

Do you like tabletop RPGs?

Fruit you don't like?

Favorite perfume/air freshener/whatever scent?

Very little. I blame Dutch history classes. It's just the same over and over again. And it's always the same countries: the Netherlands, France, England, Germany, the US. The only exceptions are very general things like Alexander the Great's empire, the Roman Empire, the colonization of the Americas and the Indies, the Cold War.

What are those?

Hmm... I'm not overly fond of plums and peaches, but they're okay.

Don't have a favorite. I don't really care about that stuff either.

1. How big are you on fighting games?

2. which are you best at?
3. Are you familiar with Dangan Ronpa?
4. Why are you so into all that history? (probably already asked by someone else, oops)
5. Favorite restaurant?
6. Favorite food?
7. Favorite confection/candy/whatever?
8. How big are you on gaming in general?
9. Same as above, but now anime?
10. First/current impressions?
11. How do you feel about taking up the interview thread?
12. Are you looking forward to its new future?

Official Sol questionâ„¢.

That and the paella one

16. What makes you think of martyrdom when you say diligence?

17. How much do you believe you have changed in the past year? Do you think you are better or worse than before?

18. What is justice to you?

19. Are mercy and forgiveness the same thing to you? Why or why not?

20. Is there a concept, a human ideal, that you disagree with?

21. What is one of your tenets?

22. What natural phenomena would you like to witness?

23. Why did you come to Serenes Forest and how do you feel about them now?

24. When all is said and done, will you have said more than you have done?

25. At the cost of any of your 5 senses, what super power would you grant anybody you knew and which sense would you sacrifice and why? (You cannot grant god-like powers, omnipotence, or anything that would restore your lost sense)

26. If you had a mystic animal as a pet/partner, what would it be and what would you name it?

27. What do you like about yourself?

28. You have one chance to use alchemy, what do you create with it?

29. What do you enjoy doing most? Have you done it lately? If not, why not?

30. Do you ask enough questions or are you satisfied with your current knowledge?

Edited by Soledai

Very little. I blame Dutch history classes. It's just the same over and over again. And it's always the same countries: the Netherlands, France, England, Germany, the US. The only exceptions are very general things like Alexander the Great's empire, the Roman Empire, the colonization of the Americas and the Indies, the Cold War.

What are those?

That seems like US history classes haha. I'm guessing every country has that problem with their history classes?

You know, like Dungeons and Dragons? o:

After Japanese, are you planning to tackle another language? If so, which one?

Ever had a lychee?

How about cassava?

If you could only study the history of one country in South America, which one would it be?

Imagine that a highly powerful being appeared in front of you one day and made this proposal: In exchange for your voice, you will gain the ability to instantly understand any written language you see. What would you do?