SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

SF Interview #219: DehNutCase
Interview ends on Sunday 5/5/2019.

@DehNutCase

I've decided to change the rules to integrate re-interviews into the regular nomination system, i.e. every nomination period, you get 2 nominations for which anyone who has not been interviewed in the past 50 interviews is eligible: you are therefore free to nominate new people or people who have already been interviewed before, up to your discretion.

This has of course led to the necessary rule change. The revised rules may be found in the first post. 

Edited by Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: What are your first/current impressions of Rezzy?

2: Aspirations in life?

3: Opinion on kids, and do you plan to have any?

4: What is a movie, video game, etc that you like that everyone else hates?

5: What is a movie, video game, etc that you hate that everyone else likes?

1. I have not seen you in a while in the Heroes section. Are you still playing Fire Emblem Heroes?

2. If you were given $1,000 Google store credits, how would you spend it? All on Heroes? All on something else? Or split it between different stuff?

3. Why did you pick Selena as your profile picture?

That is all the questions I can think of.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

1: What are your first/current impressions of Rezzy?

1, Generally positive.

2, My dream job is a burger flipper at McDonalds. If I had gotten that job I'd have 100-300k in various investments right now. (My money management skills are pretty great.) It's not because I failed the interview or anything*, incidentally, I just had to attend College to put me 100k+ in the hole rather than ~100k in the black, after you factor in the fact that you can't work a minimum wage job when you're doing classes.

*Is it even possible to fail to get a fast food job?

3, As long as they don't bother me, I'm fine with them---this is my opinion on almost everything. Currently not planning on having kids.

4, Generally speaking, I don't care about other people enough to care about their preferences. That said, if all you care about is games I like according to my steam profile I have ~1.6k hours on Dota and ~1.2k hours in EU4.

5, See 4. I'm also not the kind of person to play games\watch movies that I don't want to, so I wouldn't know about stuff I truly hate.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

1. I have not seen you in a while in the Heroes section. Are you still playing Fire Emblem Heroes?

2. If you were given $1,000 Google store credits, how would you spend it? All on Heroes? All on something else? Or split it between different stuff?

3. Why did you pick Selena as your profile picture?

That is all the questions I can think of.

1, Nope---the daily grind takes too much effort. I don't mind the grind taking time---I enjoy Old School Runescape, which should give you an idea of my grind tolerance---but I'm playing mobile games to relax, not to actually put effort in.

I'd much rather put effort in stuff like DotA if I was playing a high effort game---the skill ceiling is so high in that game that there are like 5 or 6 tiers of players above me, where being a tier above would mean you're almost guaranteed to win any game where it's 5 vs. 4 + you, and the other 9 players are in the tier below you. And I'm like top 98% or something.

2, I'd try to convert it into liquid currency and invest it in an index fund. (Normally I'd pick and choose my investments properly, but I don't have the time to do market research right now.)

3, I like the art.

Off-topic:

It'll also probably be a good idea to tag me in this thread when you ask me questions, since I won't be checking it.

4 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

2, My dream job is a burger flipper at McDonalds. If I had gotten that job I'd have 100-300k in various investments right now. (My money management skills are pretty great.) It's not because I failed the interview or anything*, incidentally, I just had to attend College to put me 100k+ in the hole rather than ~100k in the black, after you factor in the fact that you can't work a minimum wage job when you're doing classes.

*Is it even possible to fail to get a fast food job?

2: I know how student loan debt can be.  I feel you there.

* Yes, I worked at a fast food place for 6 years back in high school and undergrad, and although they don't ask a lot, they do at least have some standards.

New questions @DehNutCase

6: Origin of your name?

7: Opinion on petticoats?

8: Opinion on kilts?

9: If you were a Fire Emblem unit, what would your class and stats/growths be like?

10: Favorite historical era?

@DehNutCase

4. Do you believe in actively managing your investments (picking individual stocks, day trading, etc.) or passively managing it (throw money into an index fund and generally leave it be).

5. Which index fund are you thinking of investing in?

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

6: Origin of your name?

7: Opinion on petticoats?

8: Opinion on kilts?

9: If you were a Fire Emblem unit, what would your class and stats/growths be like?

10: Favorite historical era?

6, Deh is a misspelling of 'The.' It's just a easy to remember phrase, pretty much.

7 & 8, No opinions.

9, Ideally I'd be that tactician guy in Blazing Blade---Fire Emblem people have pretty high mortality rates, so it's better not to be on the map at all. If I can't have that then I'd prefer near maxed out bases, hilariously overpowered growths, and only join the game when everyone except the last boss is dead, and I have enough stats to solo the boss with a toothpick.

If my stats are based on me then I'd probably have awful bases across the board, low to average growths, but some kind of Paragon effect + mounted mobility.

10, *Shrug*

1 hour ago, XRay said:

@DehNutCase

4. Do you believe in actively managing your investments (picking individual stocks, day trading, etc.) or passively managing it (throw money into an index fund and generally leave it be).

5. Which index fund are you thinking of investing in?

4, You actively manage when you can beat the market. This is easier when the market is going down in general (or if you're freakishly good with money).

5, I tend to pick either something like a S&P 500 fund or a general market index, beyond that I'm mostly looking for low management fees.

@DehNutCase

1. First/Current impressions of me?

2. Aside from the investments, what is nice about burger-flipping? And you can do that in any burger place, so why McDonald’s in particular?

3. Aside from Fire Emblem, what games do you usually play?

4. In terms of difficulty, how would you rate Lunatic Conquest out of ten?

5. Who do you think is Fire Emblem’s best girl?

11 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@DehNutCase

1. First/Current impressions of me?

2. Aside from the investments, what is nice about burger-flipping? And you can do that in any burger place, so why McDonald’s in particular?

3. Aside from Fire Emblem, what games do you usually play?

4. In terms of difficulty, how would you rate Lunatic Conquest out of ten?

5. Who do you think is Fire Emblem’s best girl?

1, Indifferent.

2, McDonalds isn't a specific necessity---I'm also fine working as a barista at Starbucks or whatever. Most minimum wage jobs will do. That said, food places tend to give free meals, and Big Macs are pretty nice.

3, Already mentioned earlier are my two most played, which is DotA 2 and EU4. Strategy games are probably the ones I play the most, although I'm not too big a fan of RTSs because I'm too lazy to polish up my mechanics---I do like playing them in single player, though, where I can get away with sloppy and slow build orders. RPGs are also nice, since I like watching numbers go up.

4, Lunatic Conquest is kind of like a... 3 out of 10, maybe even less, if you know how to break it properly. The existence of Niles means that it'll never get harder than a different Fire Emblem game on Hard & Casual---Kidnap is stupid good*. I haven't been exploiting him to his full potential, but then, I haven't been exploiting a lot of things about Conquest.

*Only in Castle Visit allowed runs, by the way. In a low grind run he's 'only' servant tier, which still makes him basically one of the top 3 units in all of Conquest. High availability units dominate the early game, the nobles dominate the mid-game, but it's Niles, Jakob, and Felicia who destroy the late-game of Conquest if you exploit them fully. In a Castle Visit allowed run he's worth more than the rest of your team combined.

Most of the difficulty of Conquest comes from the map design being 'unfair'---that is, the difficulty relies on imperfect information*---rather than the numbers or whatever being hard.

*Like, take Ryoma's map for example. How the hell were you supposed to know the heal tiles gave like a 80% damage reduction before you started the map? Or that +1 Move Bow Knight utterly destroy the map even without Shuriken Breaker---you do learn that immediately once you see the map, but if you didn't know the map was coming then you wouldn't know to grab Outlaw Bow Knights. (I didn't go the Bow Knight route, incidentally, even though I had 3 possible +1 Move Bow Knight candidates).

5, *Shrug*

6. What has been the craziest moment of the Conquest Let’s Play thus far?

7. Do you watch any anime. If so, what are your favorites?

8. Favorite meme?

9. Do you have any other passions aside from gaming/anime (latter only if you answered yes for #7)?

10. What made you realize investments were the way to go?

On 4/30/2019 at 8:01 PM, DehNutCase said:

4, You actively manage when you can beat the market. This is easier when the market is going down in general (or if you're freakishly good with money).

6. Do you mean divesting from stocks when it is falling and moving the money to bonds, and then when when you think it hits bottom, you do the opposite and sell bonds and buy back stocks?

7. Would you speculate on LEGO sets? LEGO 10179 for example retailed for $500 back in 2007. Sets that are MISB (mint in sealed box; basically mint condition, never opened, and never opened outer shipping box if it has one) sells for around $3,000 right now on Bricklink, although I have seen some asking as high as $4,000.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

6. Do you mean divesting from stocks when it is falling and moving the money to bonds, and then when when you think it hits bottom, you do the opposite and sell bonds and buy back stocks?

7. Would you speculate on LEGO sets? LEGO 10179 for example retailed for $500 back in 2007. Sets that are MISB (mint in sealed box; basically mint condition, never opened, and never opened outer shipping box if it has one) sells for around $3,000 right now on Bricklink, although I have seen some asking as high as $4,000.

6, No, I mean you should actively manage when the market is on a downturn in general---i.e. a recession\depression. If the market as a whole is going up by 10% or 20% a year it's kind of difficult to beat it, but if it's actually dropping then just leaving your money as liquid currency means you beat the market. (Which is the lazy way out, incidentally---individual companies\stocks still rise in a bear market, the problem is finding them.)

7, Nope. Taking care of physical goods takes effort. (I'd do the same market research I'd have to do for stocks etc. and then I have to make sure to keep them stored properly on top of that. Plus physical goods take more effort to buy and sell.)

On 5/2/2019 at 6:09 AM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

6. What has been the craziest moment of the Conquest Let’s Play thus far?

7. Do you watch any anime. If so, what are your favorites?

8. Favorite meme?

9. Do you have any other passions aside from gaming/anime (latter only if you answered yes for #7)?

10. What made you realize investments were the way to go?

(You should probably tag me, by the way---I don't check this thread.)

6, I don't think there's been any crazy moments. My strategies in general don't really rely on luck. My Moral Resets are generally places where I should've lost people, and getting through those were luck based, but the way I beat the maps didn't require me to do things that would cause Moral Resets---they happen because I fuck up occasionally, not because they're necessary.

7, I do occasionally, but no real favorites.

8, *Shrug*

9, I like living, but I don't think that was the answer you were looking for.

10, Math.

The difference between the burger flipper who earns, say, 24 to 36k a year but invests money and the college graduate working, say, a 80k a year job isn't actually that big when you consider the burger flipper had a 4 year head start in making money + didn't have to pay money just to attend college. The college graduate will still pull ahead eventually, but at the cost of being behind for like, almost a whole decade, and I don't need that much money.

Basically the burger flipper and college graduate will end up at the same standard of living, but the burger flipper gets access to it a decade earlier while the college graduate has to spend 4 years living the broke student life and then a few more years past that living the student debt life. There's stuff like lawyering and doctoring that'll earn significantly more than 80k, but they also take more than 4 years of college, so you spend even longer living the broke ass student life.

That said, most people I've met don't believe in math.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:07 PM, DehNutCase said:

10, Math.

The difference between the burger flipper who earns, say, 24 to 36k a year but invests money and the college graduate working, say, a 80k a year job isn't actually that big when you consider the burger flipper had a 4 year head start in making money + didn't have to pay money just to attend college. The college graduate will still pull ahead eventually, but at the cost of being behind for like, almost a whole decade, and I don't need that much money.

Basically the burger flipper and college graduate will end up at the same standard of living, but the burger flipper gets access to it a decade earlier while the college graduate has to spend 4 years living the broke student life and then a few more years past that living the student debt life. There's stuff like lawyering and doctoring that'll earn significantly more than 80k, but they also take more than 4 years of college, so you spend even longer living the broke ass student life.

If a burger flipper invested during the Recession, I think it might be possible for the burger flipper to stay ahead permanently depending on what they invest in. If they just threw $100,000 at Apple for less than $15 per share and sold at $200, they are pretty much set for life, although the graduate can still catch up after a while. If they pick Amazon during that time for $50 per share and sold at $2,000 per share, there is no way an ordinary graduate can catch up in my opinion.

8. Is there a monetary goal that once you reach it you will retire? Like $1 million, $5 million, or $1 billion? Or do you plan to keep working forever to just relieve boredom? 

On 5/3/2019 at 3:07 PM, DehNutCase said:

6, No, I mean you should actively manage when the market is on a downturn in general---i.e. a recession\depression. If the market as a whole is going up by 10% or 20% a year it's kind of difficult to beat it, but if it's actually dropping then just leaving your money as liquid currency means you beat the market. (Which is the lazy way out, incidentally---individual companies\stocks still rise in a bear market, the problem is finding them.)

9. Treasury bonds are better than just cash right? Depending on how long it takes for stock prices to fall, you can earn some interest while you wait.

SF Interview #220: Mekkah
Interview ends on Friday 10/5/2019.

@Mekkah

Mekkah's interview was put on hold earlier, but he's let me know that he's ready now.

Mekkah's interview will be followed by an extended nomination period, lasting from Friday to Tuesday.

DehNutCase may answer their remaining questions.

Edited by Julius Nepos

Hi @Mekkah

1: What are your first/current impressions of Rezzy? (or a better question might be if you know who I am at all.  I'm the same Rezzy from the Youtube comments section.)

11 hours ago, XRay said:

8. Is there a monetary goal that once you reach it you will retire? Like $1 million, $5 million, or $1 billion? Or do you plan to keep working forever to just relieve boredom? 

9. Treasury bonds are better than just cash right? Depending on how long it takes for stock prices to fall, you can earn some interest while you wait.

8, 'Enough to live on' is my main goal, but that's pretty trivial. I'll probably work forever, but less hours/week as my money piles up, since my idea of a 'vacation' is doing exactly what I already do every day---that is, I'm perfectly content doing things I dislike, but are important for a while each day (working, exercising, chores etc.), then doing stuff I like doing every day + self maintenance stuff (eating, showering, etc.).

9, That'll depend on how liquid they are---I haven't actually checked how easy bonds are to sell if I needed cash rather than bonds. Main issue is that you'll probably want to keep your money in stocks or index funds or whatever in a bull market, and in a bear market treasury bonds should have some awful returns. (Since a lot of people will be wanting to buy bonds for the low risk profit in a bear market.)

Again, though, I haven't actually researched bonds that much, so this is more or less just my gut feeling (which is even less reliable than my theorycraft).

Frick, okay.

1. What would you think is your favorite moment when collaborating with Mangs?

2. Do you currently have any studies in college or something? If so, what?

3. How many Marvel Cinematic Universe movies have you watched (e.g. the Iron Man trilogy, Avengers movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.)? Or so you have any interest in general?

4. Whenever you play FE7 Lyn Hard, which if the cavaliers do you usually promote (just so you could have a second Marcus)?

5. Who is your FE waifu? As in, how Louise is to Mangs?

1. What's your biggest worry about FE3H?

2. What's your biggest hope about FE3H?

3. Is it true that you used to be a moderator and mafia player on Smogon?

4. What's a mechanic from older FEs you want to return in the future?

5. What's a mechanic from older FEs you never want to see again?

6. If you were an FE character what would be your class?

7. If you were an FE character what would be your best stat?

8. If you were an FE character what would be your worst stat?

9. Ever play Harudoku's Discord-based FE game?

10. Best advice for a wannabe FE fangame designer?

1: What is the impact of franchise loyalty versus genre loyalty on the player for SRPGs: EG Playing only Fire Emblem, or every companies SRPGs (FFT, Disgaea, Sakura Wars, etc)

2: What is the impact of franchise loyalty versus genre loyalty on the developer  for SRPGs. (eg building on own design vs free adoption of mechanics first used by other SRPGs)

3: Does Fire Emblem get too easy if you play too many games in the series?

4: Does Fire Emblem feel more like a different genre if you play too many games in the series... especialy something like puzzle game or "standard RPG without the S"

5: Are games like XCOM and Jagged Alliance 2  "SRPGs"

6: Does the Western "SRPG" or the Eastern "TRPG" abbreviation describe Fire Emblem and its subgenre more precisely?

7: How many physical hits should a "frail" character  be able to take before death in a FE with your ideal balance? No heals in between.

8: How many physical hits should a "tough" character be able to take before death in a FE with your ideal balance?

9: Are there FE games where there will be still be more Enemy Phase combat than Player Phase combat even if you actively try to maximise PP only?

10. Do you consider Fire Emblem game's to have enemy AI?

2 hours ago, Reality said:

7: How many physical hits should a "frail" character  be able to take before death in a FE with your ideal balance? No heals in between.

8: How many physical hits should a "tough" character be able to take before death in a FE with your ideal balance?

Asking very important questions here.

Mr. Mekkkah, it's a pleasure to hear you'll be honoring us lowly losers with your answers.

1. If it's not an inappropriate question, which fellow Fire Emblem youtuber are you most friendly with?
  2. Who are some bad units which you enjoy using?
  3. How's Conquest going? I'm not watching that playthrough so I figured I'd just ask. I've just recently started the game myself and was wondering if you had any tips.
  4. Why three Ks?
  5. In fact, if it hasn't been asked / answered already, why the name Mekkkah?