SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

1. Something you’re glad you tried, but will never do again?
  2. Something that seems to bother others, but never/rarely you?
  3. Something you want to like, but can’t for one reason or another?
  4. Something you wish had a sequel?
  5. Thoughts/opinions on the Elder Scrolls?
  6. Favorite/Least Favorite story trope/clique?
  7. Favorite/Least Favorite character trope/clique?
  8. Favorite/Least Favorite gameplay trope/cliche?

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ProfImpossible said:

1.) Any favorite Jazz bands/musicians?

2.) Have you ever played the SMT Devil Survivor games? If so, opinions?

3.) Same question as above, but about the Raidou Kuzunoha games.

1) Count Basie, Benny Goodman, and Duke Ellington for the classics. The Tower of Power and The Blues Brothers for modern and crossovers. For jazz arrangements of game music, the Consouls.

2) No I haven't, but it seems fascinating, if also slightly darker than what I'm comfortable with.

3) No idea.

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  1. Something you’re glad you tried, but will never do again?
  2. Something that seems to bother others, but never/rarely you?
  3. Something you want to like, but can’t for one reason or another?
  4. Something you wish had a sequel?
  5. Thoughts/opinions on the Elder Scrolls?
  6. Favorite/Least Favorite story trope/clique?
  7. Favorite/Least Favorite character trope/clique?
  8. Favorite/Least Favorite gameplay trope/cliche?

1) My architectural degree.

2) Linearity and lack of difficulty in a video game. As long as the story, backstory, or the characters are good, I can forgive them. If anything, I don't like anything that is more difficult than what I expect, because I don't have as much time to play.

3) Again, Pokemon Black and White 1 for reasons stated above.

4) Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

5) I haven't played, so no opinion.

6) Favorite: Worldbuilding, Alternate History. Least Favourite: Damsel in Distress played straight - and particularly one which is a carbon copy of that dumb Princess from Mario, and further demerit points apply if she somehow made it into Smash without anything more than a flimsy in-story justification.

7) Favorite: Comically Serious: Seeing bits of Persona 4 Anime, and Yu is just hilariously awesome. Also, fictional descendants of Historical Domain Characters. Least Favorite: See 6).

8) Favorite: I don't know, and I don't really care to be honest. Least Favorite: Surprise difficulty: I expect FE to be a difficult game, sure, but not Pokemon. As I said before, I don't have time to fuck around in a game as I used to. Fake difficulty: Over-reliance on the stylus in Zelda Spirit Tracks, various factors leading to generally inefficient grinding in Pokemon Black and White 1, lack of ways to get around stat inbalances in FE etc. Persona 4 Golden seem to have avoided this well.

Edited by henrymidfields

On 5/18/2018 at 11:58 PM, henrymidfields said:

Count Basie, Benny Goodman, and Duke Ellington for the classics

Very cool. Have you ever heard Katteni Shiyagare? They've got kind of a big band-ish sound, but with a more modern twist, idk, they make me think of walking in the rain, if that makes any sense. You might enjoy them.  

EDIT: this is super late so you pry so won't even see it, but the Raidou Kuzunoha games are SMT games that take place in the Taisho period. Which is why I brought them up.

Edited by ProfImpossible

1. What three words best describe you?

2. How do you think success should be measured?

3. What scares you?  Do you have any irrational fears?

4. What do you do to de-stress at the end of a long day?

5. Do you think social media is making people more narcissistic? 

6. Are there any unspoken social rules that you dislike?

7. What do you value the most: free time, recognition, or money?

8. Would you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

9. What are you most grateful for right now?

10. Do you enjoy overcoming challenges, or do you prefer things to be easy? Why?

11. If you could time travel, where would you go?

12. What are your pet peeves?

13. What are some of your favourite TV shows?

14. What has been the most significant or best year of your life so far?

15. What kind of music do you like?

5 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

1. What three words best describe you?

2. How do you think success should be measured?

3. What scares you?  Do you have any irrational fears?

4. What do you do to de-stress at the end of a long day?

5. Do you think social media is making people more narcissistic? 

6. Are there any unspoken social rules that you dislike?

7. What do you value the most: free time, recognition, or money?

8. Would you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

9. What are you most grateful for right now?

10. Do you enjoy overcoming challenges, or do you prefer things to be easy? Why?

11. If you could time travel, where would you go?

12. What are your pet peeves?

13. What are some of your favourite TV shows?

14. What has been the most significant or best year of your life so far?

15. What kind of music do you like?

1. I don't care. :P

2. Whether you ultimately regret your life or not, I think. Money and fame can be two indicators, of course, but they are neither the only benchmarks, nor requirements. Your integrity, contribution to society, fulfillment in your life, relationship with others etc all count as well, your mental/physical well-being can all come into play, depending on your priorities.

3. One irrational fear would be big spiders - which as far as I know, tends to be ultimately harmless.

4. Listen to or play music, catch up with friends, play games etc.

5. Maybe. I don't really use social media all that much so I don't really know.

6. Marriage is required to enjoy company and happiness. I know people who are single and who are happy in life, and I also know of cases of unhappy marriages too.

7. Everything would probably be equally important for me, but I personally prefer recognition in my profession.

8. Introvert generally, but I try to take a balance every now and then.

9. I've got a job that I generally enjoy, and pays reasonably well.

10. A bit of both would be the best. Too much of the former, and I'll burn out. Too much of the latter, and life will bore me.

11. Taisho era, to see just what went wrong in society during when my grandparents were growing up, and what I can learn from it.

12. There are a couple, but firstly, people who just won't move over to let me through in buses/trains. (I mean, for example, just step out of the bus to let me out! Only takes 2-3 steps, you know?)

13. I haven't watched TV regularly in a few years, so none.

14. 2012, when I got my first full-time job.

15. Classical, jazz, funk, and generally anything that crosses over genres. That's why I like Persona 3-4's music (having a number of funk or crossovers) and some pieces from Gershwin/Bernstein/Ellington (all three have classical/jazz crossover pieces).

Edited by henrymidfields

Oops, been busy and almost missed this week.

1: First/Current Impressions of Me, if any?

2: Aspirations in life?

3: Opinion on kids, and do you plan to have any?

4: What is a movie, video game, etc that you like that everyone else hates?

5: What is a movie, video game, etc that you hate that everyone else likes?

Oh hey, I was chosen. By the dice... well, a victory's a victory, I suppose. I shall celebrate by lifting the question limit before anybody has to waste a question to ask me if I'll do it, so ask away. Hopefully I'm not breaking any unspoken rules of any sort by posting before anybody else does, I can't see any other interviewees doing that.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

So, in the end, you were chosen by a real life precursor to the RNG. I can't tell if that's ironic or fitting.

Also, don't worry about posting before anyone asks questions. Several other interviewers have done so, and all of the rules you should worry about are on the first page.

To start off this interview:

1. Favorite video game series?
  2. Opinion on fighting games?
  3. Favorite music genre?
  4. How/Why did you choose your profile name?
  5. How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?
  6. What was the first Fire Emblem game you iron-manned?
  7. What made you decide to start your Ironman let's plays?

Greetings!

I. Favorite of the classical and Chinese elements?

II. Which of the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues do you most relate to?

III. How were you introduced to Fire Emblem?

IV. What led you to Serenesforest?

V. Do you have a favorite history or mythology to learn about?

VI. Fight or flight?

VII. Quality or quantity?

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

So, in the end, you were chosen by a real life precursor to the RNG. I can't tell if that's ironic or fitting.

Both, with a bit of schadenfreude thrown in there. Stupid life...

Still, thanks for your persistance. It's what put my name on the list for fate to decide.

Favorite video game series?

My childhood was Mario, all the way. However, Fire Emblem won my heart since the very moment I found out about it, even more so than Mario. So I think the answer would have to be FE.

Opinion on fighting games?

I really like Smash Bros. As for the more standard fighting games, such as Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and the like... well, call me a noob, but I don't really have fun memorizing long button combinations to fail to pull off moves because, aside from that, I have to input them in half a fraction of a second for them to be worth a damn. I can understand the appeal, but the genre's just not for me, I'm afraid.

Favorite music genre?

I'd say videogame music, which is the one I listen to 90% of the time, but I, for one, don't consider videogame music to be a genre by itself. It's music of all sorts of genres that just so happens to be used in videogames. But I digress. The short answer would be heavy metal, but I like all genres, really. Well, all genres that aren't trash. Up to you to decide which classify as that.

Some of my favourite themes of all time are Lament to the Master, the Ultimate Show, Battle Before Night, Lament to the Master, ergh... this remix of Lament to the Master... I love Lament to the Master, perhaps to a fault. The whole OSt of OoE is amazing, but that piece's something else. Order of Eclessia is the only game that I played not for the gameplay, the story or anything like that, but because of that one boss battle and theme. Seriously, I watched a video of that and I was instantly sold. Huge spoilers, but that's all right, I've always have a talent for finding out about games through spoilers, and it's never truly ruined any of them for me. I still regard Mother 3 as my favourite RPG (not SRPG, mind you, standard RPG) of all time, with Live-a-live as a close second, and the first thing I ever knew about both of them were some of their biggest plottwists.

How/Why did you choose your profile name?

The name's got a bit of a story behind it. It's somewhat long, so bear with me.

Originally, I came up with the name Rubenio when I first made an email account, oh so many years ago. I was Rubenio751 back then. In summer 2013, I found out about the game Team Fortress 2, so I downloaded Steam and the game, and created an account by that same name, becoming a Medic main. Months after first playing the game, I met a guy in an achievement server, one I am still friends with to this day. Later on, in December 2013, the smissmass update rolled in and the Angelic Doctor set was added to TF2, consisting of priestly robes and hood for the Medic. After I got my hands on it, my friend and I joked around that I was the Saint of the Medics, and to go along with the joke, I changed my name to Saint Rubenio. The rest is history.

How did you pick your profile picture, and why did you choose it?

The picture was chosen largely because of my fondness for Barlowe of Castlevania: Order of Eclessia's design. It's a badass old man in green (my favourite colour) who has the most amazing grin ever, one of my favourite musical videogame pieces, and one of my favourites boss fights ever. What's not to love?

It's interesting, because in most other places (namely, Steam and google) I use a picture of Luigi that I made myself on Gmod a long time ago. Here it is:

XhK071bg.jpg

All in all, it's really basic (shadows apparently don't exist on the mushroom kingdom?), but hey, I like it. I've always been a huge fan of Luigi, so there's that.

What was the first Fire Emblem game you iron-manned?

FE12, for the LP.

What made you decide to start your Ironman let's plays?

I watched this video of FE youtuber MarkyJoe on Ironmanning. The arguments won me over, and I decided that I wanted to play through a game of the series that way at least once. For a long time, I had been reading screenshot LPs on the LParchive (my favourite being probably Quovak's of Chzo Mythos. Check it out! Free publicity! I swear, he's not paying me. He probably doesn't even know I exist). I really liked those, and I still do: they're quire handy on the go, as I don't have to load videos, find myself headphones or anything like that. I can just grab my phone and start reading without annoying anybody around me with sound or anything like that.

Basically, at the same time as I had the idea to Ironman FE12, I started to entertain the idea of actually recording a LP and posting is somewhere. I thought it might be fun. I'd been a lurker here for a while, so the choice to host my first LP here was a no-brainer. And you know what happened next.

All things considered, I was expecting it to go much worse than how it actually turned out. As opposed to my current FE6 LP, which is being even more of a catastrophic failure than I ever anticipated it would be. God forsaken chapter 7... blistering barnacles!

2 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Greetings!

Likewise!

I. Favorite of the classical and Chinese elements?

For classical, I would have to say earth. Not sure why, I've always liked it. Might have to do with that Hercules game for the N64 I used to play when I was a child (on an emulator, I was born too late). There, earth powers were represented in green. I was obsessed with green back then.

As for the chinese elements, I would have to say water, although I'm not that familiar with those.

II. Which of the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues do you most relate to?

Eh, Diane's ho--

Ahem, sorry. Getting off track here. I haven't even watched that anime, how dare I reference it... For the virtues, I'd say humility. I've never enjoyed boasting (not seriously, anyway), and one of the things that I hate the most in people is arrogance. Arrogant people get under my skin very easily. Is it so hard to not brag about how much better than everyone else you are, even if it's the truth?

For the sins... sloth. I'm lazy, I have to admit.

III. How were you introduced to Fire Emblem?

Whoisthisgit, mainly. This, to be precise. Not the best of introductions, is it? But it didn't stop me from falling in love with the series.

IV. What led you to Serenesforest?

I do believe it would have to be those old Rate The unit threads. I stumbled upon them as I searched for opinions on characters, and one thing led to the other, I made a thread asking whether I should use Tomas or Sheema in FE12, until one day, I started a LP. And now I've been elected for an interview! Soon, the whole world shall know the name Saint Rub--

What do you mean, the RNG chose me?! Shut up and let me brag about my victory--

I've never enjoyed boasting (not seriously, anyway), and one of the things that I hate the most in people is arrogance.

Ah, son of a...!

V. Do you have a favorite history or mythology to learn about?

I don't think so, no. All history's always interesting. I would say German history (you know the one) ranks a little higher, though. Also, I find King Pedro II of Brazil to be a most fascinating man.

VI. Fight or flight?

I'll admit, I've never been one for violence, even thought I've always been tall and big. I've fought a whopping three times in my life, and none of those lasted longer than a minute. Heck, one of the guys I fought with actually went on to become my best friend, in one of life's little ironies. I've always preferred to avoid conflict when possible.

My most violent moment was, rather ironically, one time I was softly punching that same friend in the shoulder in a joking manner, when suddenly, an old man appeared out of nowhere. Failing to notice his presence, I drew my arm back, and instead of fake-punching my friend, I ended up very-really-punching an old guy in the face. The poor man's glasses flew. At least the guy graciously accepted my apologies and made a hasty exit. I don't think my friends will ever let me forget that day, though.

VII. Quality or quantity?

Quality. Quantity with no quality just means more shit to trudge through, if I may be so blunt.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Both, with a bit of schadenfreude thrown in there. Stupid life...

Still, thanks for your persistance. It's what put my name on the list for fate to decide.

You're welcome. As I said, I enjoyed your lets plays, even if I'm behind in reading them (studying and homework really limits your free time, ya know?), and I was interested in your real life character.

Although now I'm wondering who else I'm going to persistently request, now that you've been picked... Eh. A question for later.

1. Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?
  2. Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?
  3. Something you both love and hate?
  4. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?
  5. If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell the to stay the heck away from?

Hello, I have the following queries for you.

1.) What is your favorite style of shoe?

2.) Have you ever seen yourself in profile?

3.) What makes French toast crunch?

4.) Hair, part to the left, right, straight down the middle, or no part?

5.) Do you play an instrument?

6.) Have you ever bought a rug?

13 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Thoughts/Opinions on Star Wars?

It's cool. I've never seen a full movie, but that's mostly because I'm not much of a movie person. The memes are great, though.

Something you thought you weren't going to like, but ended up enjoying?

When I bought Mount and Blade: Warband, I ended up scrapping two characters because I made mistakes and got frustrated. I considered dropping the game very seriously for a while.

Now, I've played almost 100 hours of it, and I'll keep going. Absolutely amazing.

Something you both love and hate?

Heavy Rain. It's the very bare minimum of what you could call a "game", but that's not the truly bad part. What really ruins Heavy Rain is that even then it has the audacity to present a swiss cheese of a story (read, full of holes) as well as graphics that, while great at a first glance, feature some of the worst face posing and animations that I've seen in any videogame. To be entirely forthcoming with you guys, I consider that """"""""""""""game""""""""""""" to be utter crap.

However, I absolutely love the game as I love The Room. It's a hilarious trainwreck, and I love it for that. Beyond the obvious memes, such as "SHAUN!", I ended up turning fatass detective Scott Shelby into a meme in my group for friends, calling him the "magical fatso" and photoshopping his face on top of Tinkerbell's. The joke is that all of the game's plotholes regarding this character can be explained if it is assumed that he's not just any fatso, but a Magical Fatso. It's lame, I know. About as much as the game.

If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you recommend them to try first?

Mother 3 is one of those games that I hold close to my heart. I liked it before it was cool to like it and hate Undertale, even before it was cool to just like it (UT didn't even exist when I first played the game). I find it to be a brilliant masterpiece of a game. In my opinion, even better than its predecessor, the famous Earthbound. There's also the fact that it has probably the best fan translation that I've ever seen in any videogame. I heartfeltly recommend everybody to play it. Playing through Earthbound is advised, but not essential: one only needs to know the general plot of the game to understand all that goes on in Mother 3.

If someone was interested in getting into a genre/series (again, of your choice), what video-game/movie/book/anime etc. would you tell the to stay the heck away from?

Heavy Rain, definitely. Just watch videos on youtube, you don't miss out on anything.

I'm not too keen on the whole "interactive movie" genre, because that's what these games are, interactive movies, yet they're advertised and sold as games. If you are seeking some videogamey action, stray clear of these: the fact that they're often called the new generation of "adventure games", which means people put them in the same bag as classics such as Monkey Island, makes me quite mad. They're not adventure games: in adventure games, there are at least puzzles you have to figure out, places to explore, people to talk to. There are things to be done.

No such luck with "telltale" games, for a lack of a better name. They're glorified virtual novels, and if that's what you want, then fine, go ahead and get some of those (still not Heavy Rain, though). Just be warned, if it says that choices matter at the beginning, nine times out of ten that'll be a dirty lie.

13 hours ago, ProfImpossible said:

1.) What is your favorite style of shoe?

Whatever is confortable.

2.) Have you ever seen yourself in profile?

I think so, yes. I'm not much to look at, I can tell you that much.

3.) What makes French toast crunch?

Ergh... I have no idea? Is this a reference that I'm not getting? It happens to me a lot, I'll have you know.

4.) Hair, part to the left, right, straight down the middle, or no part?

Left, whenever I bother moving it. See, my preferred hairstyle is one I like to call "doing my hair costs time and resources".

5.) Do you play an instrument?

I used to play the piano many years ago, but when I begun high school I stopped. Never did enjoy it that much, I got far too frustrated with it.

6.) Have you ever bought a rug?

Well, I have some rugs in my house, at any rate, but I don't think I was the one to buy them.

1. Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?
  2. Favorite card/board game?
  3. Thoughts on puzzle games?
  4. Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?
  5. If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?
  6. Something you would tell your younger self?

VIII. Hot or cold?

IX. Do you live somewhere rural, suburban, or urban?

X. Which do you prefer of the areas above?

XI. Eastern or western dragon?

XII. Katana or broadsword?

XIII. Ninja or samurai?

XIV. Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type, and if so, does it fit you?

On 5/23/2018 at 8:44 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Ergh... I have no idea? Is this a reference that I'm not getting? It happens to me a lot, I'll have you know.

You're fine, no one's gotten it yet. (Though a few came close)

1.) Do you prefer grilling, frying, or baking?

On 23/5/2018 at 8:54 PM, Hawkwing said:

Thoughts/Opinions on the Lord of the Rings?

Never read any of the books, never watched any of the films. I probably should, though.

Favorite card/board game?

I don't really have any. Board games aren't that fun when you spend your entire childhood alone and friendless. But let's keep the edginess away from this thread. There is this board game called "carcassonne" that I once played with some relatives of mine. It was real fun, and very complex too, I would very much like to play it again some day.

Thoughts on puzzle games?

They're fine. It's not my favourite genre, but it's good nonetheless. I've had my hours of fun playing Papers, Please, if you consider that a puzzle game.

Do you prefer action/fight scenes to be realistic and down-to-earth, or over-the-top and flashy?

I'd say realistic. I'm not going to say no to an over-the-top jerksplosion of action like Obi-wan vs Anakin at the end of Revenge of The Sith, but realistic battles tend to entertain me more.

If you had a single day to hang out with a Fire Emblem character of your choosing, and weren't restrained by money or travel distance/time requirements, who would you pick and what would you do?

Hmmm, that's a good question... perhaps Mintz from Tear Ring Saga. That guy's absolutely amazing. A bit of a womanizer, but still a good guy. His scene with Ernst is one of my favourites in the game. The sarcasm is too much, Aethin did a good job with the new translation. I wouldn't do anything in particular, the guy just strikes me as the sort of person I'd like to have as a friend. But of course, TRS isn't exactly Fire Emblem, is it?

From FE proper, Canas, Cecilia, Frost (of course, he had to be here), Forde... are all perfectly fine choices, but I'd say Lot and Wade would be good to have as friends. One's smart and serious, perfect for having an insightful conversation, while the other's just fun. They're one of my favourite duos in the series, too.

There's also the fact that I'd like to thank them properly for carrying my FE6 LP. I wouldn't have made it this far without them.

Something you would tell your younger self?

"Dude, stop biting your nails. They look horrible now."

Although, I've got to admit, that's partially because I still cannot stop to this day. Stupid stressful childhood...

17 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

VIII. Hot or cold?

Cold. There are means of protection against cold. No such luck with heat: if stripping down to the flimsiest t-shirt doesn't do it, then that's just too bad.

IX. Do you live somewhere rural, suburban, or urban?

Rural. A small village in northern Spain, to be precise.

X. Which do you prefer of the areas above?

To live, I'd say rural. Internet's a little crappy, but it's very peaceful here. Urban does have its perks, though.

XI. Eastern or western dragon?

Both are cool, but I'd have to say chinese. The serpent-ish design is something I can really dig.

XII. Katana or broadsword?

I'm more of a fan of rapiers, myself, but out of these two, I'd say Katana.

XIII. Ninja or samurai?

Samurai. You really like eastern culture, don't you?

XIV. Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type, and if so, does it fit you?

Yes, it's ISTJ. I'd say it does fit me, but only to an extent. I'm not that serious, you should see the sort of stupidity I can come up with sometimes. Heck, you already can. I'm not very confident, either, and I like letting my creativity loose when possible.

15 hours ago, ProfImpossible said:

You're fine, no one's gotten it yet. (Though a few came close)

Huh... I suppose that means I'm not going to get an explanation out of you?

1.) Do you prefer grilling, frying, or baking?

All are good, I would say. Just a matter of what I'd rather have at any given time. There's also the fact that my culinary skills are... rather limited, but eh, that's beside the point.

1. Something you fell in love with immediately?
  2. Something that had to grow on you?
  3. Something (in reality or fiction) that you'd pay good money to see?
  4. Thoughts/opinions on Batman?
  5. Favorite dream you've ever had?