SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

So sorry for not getting to these earlier, I had an alarm set but I somehow missed it. If you somehow have more questions, I have a discord server with a qna channel, you can always ask questions there. You can also just post questions on my vids and sometimes I'll be able to answer.

Making these in a text document so sorry if I'm not tagging everyone!

@Rezzy

1: What are your first/current impressions of Rezzy? (or a better question might be if you know who I am at all.  I'm the same Rezzy from the Youtube comments section.)

Just positive memories of said Rezzy, so chill person!

2: Aspirations in life?

Tough one. I don't know! I just want to be chill and have fun.

3: Opinion on kids, and do you plan to have any?

That's a bit more intimate than I'm willing to answer. But kids are funny.

4: What is a movie, video game, etc that you like that everyone else hates?

I don't think there's any real game like that for me, actually. I guess there's these two flash games:
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/535732
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/553025

They're really bad and glitchy now (and have always been) but I still think they're fun to play to unwind every now and then. 

5: What is a movie, video game, etc that you hate that everyone else likes?

Fates? nah too ez

I watched the first Harry Potter sequel, I thought it was bad, everyone I watched it with thought it was good. I think it's because I'm less willing to suspend my disbelief when characters do things that make no sense.

@Azura in a Roundabout

1. What would you think is your favorite moment when collaborating with Mangs?

50 Gold (PoR Maniac Mode)

I'm having trouble coming up with any better moment than that because it was just our playthroughs in a nutshell. The Finale of Radiant Dawn was also really good. 

2. Do you currently have any studies in college or something? If so, what?

Not going to answer real life questions, sorry.

3. How many Marvel Cinematic Universe movies have you watched (e.g. the Iron Man trilogy, Avengers movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.)? Or so you have any interest in general?

Absolute zero. I tried watching an Iron Man movie on a plane once but the quality was awful so I stopped. It's not that they don't look interesting to me, I just don't watch movies much to begin with and I have a feeling that I can't just start in the middle.

4. Whenever you play FE7 Lyn Hard, which if the cavaliers do you usually promote (just so you could have a second Marcus)?

Sain. If you look at videos where I'm playing FE7 as background footage you'll often see a promoted Sain get things done.

5. Who is your FE waifu? As in, how Louise is to Mangs?

I think lusting after Fire Emblem characters and video game characters is stupid and a good reason to do a reality check. At the risk of sounding like an old man, back when I first got on the internet, people generally cringed at others lewding fictional characters. Now it's been normalized.

@SullyMcGully

1. What's your biggest worry about FE3H?

Too much of a focus on academy, slice of life, romance (especially with students), minmaxing characters, too little on gameplay. 

Also I hope they didn't balance the game around resetting through the time rewind. 

2. What's your biggest hope about FE3H?

If the gameplay is engaging and fun I'm fine with a bad story, but it needs to be mostly independent from class performances and brigand exams. 

3. Is it true that you used to be a moderator and mafia player on Smogon?

Yeah, I'm the same person as that Mekkah.

4. What's a mechanic from older FEs you want to return in the future?

Shove and rescue mostly. 

5. What's a mechanic from older FEs you never want to see again?

The level of skillspam of Fates and Awakening, if that's "old" enough. Randomized reinforcements, ambush reinforcements. 

6. If you were an FE character what would be your class?
7. If you were an FE character what would be your best stat?
8. If you were an FE character what would be your worst stat?

I mean, most people picture me as Danved, but he or his class don't really have any standout traits...so I really don't know!

9. Ever play Harudoku's Discord-based FE game?

I have not.

10. Best advice for a wannabe FE fangame designer?

Keep it simple. That's what I'd tell ROM hackers. Don't be overly ambitious, get something out first and then improve it. It'll never be the best game ever but just strive to make it nice and fun.

@Reality

1: What is the impact of franchise loyalty versus genre loyalty on the player for SRPGs: EG Playing only Fire Emblem, or every companies SRPGs (FFT, Disgaea, Sakura Wars, etc)

2: What is the impact of franchise loyalty versus genre loyalty on the developer  for SRPGs. (eg building on own design vs free adoption of mechanics first used by other SRPGs)

I really can't answer these questions because I don't know jack squat about any of these things, haha.

3: Does Fire Emblem get too easy if you play too many games in the series?

It gets a lot easier to the point that playing vanilla can seem boring, but since there's always ways to challenge yourself I don't think the games as a whole can be "too easy".

4: Does Fire Emblem feel more like a different genre if you play too many games in the series... especialy something like puzzle game or "standard RPG without the S"

It does. I played some "standard RPGs" and they're really fun but so unlike Fire Emblem.

5: Are games like XCOM and Jagged Alliance 2  "SRPGs"
6: Does the Western "SRPG" or the Eastern "TRPG" abbreviation describe Fire Emblem and its subgenre more precisely?

See 1 and 2: I'm not that big of a gamer, just really into Fire Emblem.

7: How many physical hits should a "frail" character  be able to take before death in a FE with your ideal balance? No heals in between.

8: How many physical hits should a "tough" character be able to take before death in a FE with your ideal balance?

There is no one correct answer here, a game can be good with almost any amount of hits...if you look at FE12's higher difficulties, the answer is generally 1 for frail characters and 2-3 for the somewhat durable ones, and it worked really well.

But you can create a fun experience with more bulky characters. I like Radiant Dawn even though the player characters are really durable. But it's not balanced. For balance it's easiest to keep the number of hits they can take very low.

9: Are there FE games where there will be still be more Enemy Phase combat than Player Phase combat even if you actively try to maximise PP only?

Games with high enemy density and low enemy strength will always be like that. FE7-FE10, basically.

10. Do you consider Fire Emblem game's to have enemy AI?

They have AI, it's just not the smartest AI ever. But it improves almost every new game.

@AnonymousSpeed

1. If it's not an inappropriate question, which fellow Fire Emblem youtuber are you most friendly with?

That's fine! I'm mostly chilling with Mangs nowadays for obvious reasons, but I also talk to Chaz every now and then. 

2. Who are some bad units which you enjoy using?

I made a vid on that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibc68ms_bS8
Aside from these, I enjoyed training up Karel in FE6RR when he was bad, and I still enjoy using Zeis in that same playthrough.

3. How's Conquest going? I'm not watching that playthrough so I figured I'd just ask. I've just recently started the game myself and was wondering if you had any tips.

I downgraded from Hard to Normal because while I enjoyed the challenge I found it hard to make interesting commentary from, and now it's a lot of fun. I really recommend you do your first playthrough on Normal, it's way less stressful and you can't do much wrong (but you can still die if you're stupid).

4. Why three Ks?

I use 3 K's when 2 is taken.

5. In fact, if it hasn't been asked / answered already, why the name Mekkkah?

I've answered this question a lot of times so I'm kinda tired of typing it out. I have an old Q&A I think for my 3000 sub special where I answer this if you're very curious.

@BLSoldier

1: What made you join the Serenes Forest message boards?

FEF and FEP died and this is where everyone was at.

2: One thing about the Fire Emblem franchise you dislike?

Waifu Emblem and plots that insult my intelligence.

3: What video game franchise would you want to try out one day?

Dark Souls and Final Fantasy have me curious.

@JSND Alter Dragon Boner (nice nicknames guys)

1. favorite pokemon?

Exeggutor.

2. kinda curious are you still active in smogon, and on pokemon stuff? i remember you were pretty big on Pokemon TCG lol

I'm not active on Smogon but I still lurk a bit. Play random battles on showdown, and play some Standard and mostly Legacy in Pokemon TCG. I don't play Pokemon TCG irl anymore though.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Mekkah said:

Dark Souls and Final Fantasy have me curious.

You should play the 5th one on the GBA since it's easy enough while not as dumb easy as either Mystic Quest or the SNES IV (Released in the west has FFII...)

It's story is also a bit on the silly and funny side as opposed to the overly depressing tone of many other FFs.

@~ Yuri ~

1. Who is your favorite FE character of each gender?

2. What made you decide to take up @Nym‘s act of being an Eevee?

3. What are you (or have you) studying/studied in college?

4. What job do you have?

5. What job do you want?

7 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

1. Who is your favorite FE character of each gender?

2. What made you decide to take up @Nym‘s act of being an Eevee?

3. What are you (or have you) studying/studied in college?

4. What job do you have?

5. What job do you want?

1. Male: Makalov Female: Severa

2. I don't know really, I guess it's just "Hey he likes eevees and so do I so why not?"

3. Computer Science

4. Looking for one 

5. Game Designer/ Voice Actor but I probably want the ladder.

I honestly didn't expect to be on here, but I guess it's cool :]

Edited by ~ Yuri ~

1. Do you have a pet?

2. Have you ever gotten high or euphoric from sniffing fur?

6. (No spoilers) How was Detective Pikachu, if you have seen it?

7. Does Dornan the good boyo have any quirks?

8. Do you watch any anime? If so, shoot out some favorites.

9. Do you like classic rock?

10. Favorite meme?

5 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

6. (No spoilers) How was Detective Pikachu, if you have seen it?

7. Does Dornan the good boyo have any quirks?

8. Do you watch any anime? If so, shoot out some favorites.

9. Do you like classic rock?

10. Favorite meme?

1. It was surprisingly good, definitely recommended it!

2. He is big af, if that's considered a quirk, love him to death though

3. Laugh all you want...but...SAO. That is my all time favorite, don't judge me. But on to the other ones..One Piece, Log Horizon, and Corpse Party believe it or not.

4. Yes! The Rolling Stones and The Beatles! 

Lets see...

1. Generic "first impressions of me" question.

2. What kind of music do you like?

3. Favorite FE meme?

4. Any guilty pleasures/ things you like that are so bad they're good? (Examples: The Room, My Immortal, Big Rigs Over the Road Racing, etc)

5. Thoughts on Three Houses?

1. Generic answer to first impressions of me question!

2. Japanese shit, Rock, Death Metal, Rap

3. WHAT HAPPENED TO DORKASS?!

4. I eat Parmesan cheese, by it's self. Don't judge me okay?

5. Looks good so far, no complaints here.

hmm I keep getting summoned in here, wonder why

but I saw a certain name which reminded me that @shadowofchaos and @Bindi did get married quite recently, sooooooooo

(as long as either of the two aren't TOO BUSY for us)

..... do the "kids these days" actually still know rey?

edit: aw man I keep forgetting my font applies to the pings and makes them annoying to read

Edited by Freohr Datia

48 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

but I saw a certain name which reminded me that @shadowofchaos and @Bindi did get married quite recently, sooooooooo

(as long as either of the two aren't TOO BUSY for us)

..... do the "kids these days" actually still know rey?

edit: aw man I keep forgetting my font applies to the pings and makes them annoying to read

I know him. Not much, but yeah.

Nominations:
2: shadowofchaos
1: Florete
1: Freohr Datia
1: TheSilentChloey
1: Bindi
1: Ottservia

53 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

You're being nominated!

And I'm assuming these are your nominations?

1 minute ago, Julius Nepos said:

You're being nominated!

And I'm assuming these are your nominations?

oh no worries I understood why :b but I still can't imagine why I'd be nominated, I don't participate much in this forum nowadays

and yes, those are my nominations~

10 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

oh no worries I understood why :b but I still can't imagine why I'd be nominated, I don't participate much in this forum nowadays

and yes, those are my nominations~

Alright, just making sure!

Hi and congrats!

1: What are your first/current impressions of Rezzy?

2: Aspirations in life?

3: Opinion on kids, and do you plan to have any?

4: What is a movie, video game, etc that you like that everyone else hates?

5: What is a movie, video game, etc that you hate that everyone else likes?