Competitive Decklists and Metagame Discussion - Latest Update: April 26 (S8)

Tuvillo

3 hours ago, ScarletFlame said:

Let me explain.

Al SR's effect activates after he attacks. If you mill Al, you untap him. You get only one mill.
Think about that. When he attacks, you mill once for support. So you have to stack (place a card on top of the deck) twice, in order to rig Al's skill.

Oh I see so he uses the top deck for support and the next card milled is for his effect. So he's probsbly not a hugely viable card then is what you are saying. Guess I need just one for collection purposes 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/22/2017 at 4:28 AM, Duma said:

I just saw the new update on Lacky with all the new cards and I'm wondering if a horse emblem deck is possible?

Same questions I ask everyone:

What is its purpose?
What cards does it run?
How does it fulfill its purpose?

If you can answer these questions, without having found better Champions or cards, then you may set out for this new frontier.

1 hour ago, ScarletFlame said:

Same questions I ask everyone:

What is its purpose?
What cards does it run?
How does it fulfill its purpose?

If you can answer these questions, without having found better Champions or cards, then you may set out for this new frontier.

Maybe some of us are still new to cipher so we don't have all the information and the skill yet to form our own deck which is why we are asking for help on here

Well I don't have all the info yet since I'm new to the deck making process for Cipher but, I'm trying to abuse Berkuts effect. And since we are on the topic of deck building, are there any staples for cipher? Like cards that you want in your deck because there too good to leave out?

9 hours ago, Duma said:

Well I don't have all the info yet since I'm new to the deck making process for Cipher but, I'm trying to abuse Berkuts effect. And since we are on the topic of deck building, are there any staples for cipher? Like cards that you want in your deck because there too good to leave out?

Depends on the Colours and deck you use mostly but in short:

- Most fliers with the ability to move an ally
- Nino, Clarine
- Deirdre, Arvis
- Nowi (Cost 3)
- For Risen builds, Aversa and Grima
- Rafiel for Fang decks

I could list more but these are what's on my head.

On 2017-6-22 at 8:58 AM, Duma said:

I just saw the new update on Lacky with all the new cards and I'm wondering if a horse emblem deck is possible?

I've actually looked into this (sort of) for a while because there's a few cards in B08 that I feel like would be useful for this.  If you're into cavalry cards, Frederick from B08-009SR is a really good way to bolster your main character on a class change with a minimal cost.  By flipping one bond when you class change another card you get a free 4/3 70 attack unit and on top of that he keeps enemies from critically hitting your main character and moving him or your main character.  So...if you have 3/2 cards in your deck, which you can run as early as Turn 2, you can hit your opponent with a 4/3 Frederick really early in the game.

Also if you're considering "Horse Emblem" anyways and building on a lot of cavalry, the 3/2 Ares (B08-082N) could work nicely, where the bond skill basically gives a horse unit 20 extra attack for the turn just by placing Ares in your bonds.  You can also combine this with the 4/3 Ares to bolster the number of bonds that you have to work with anyways.

If I had to guess, and like depending on how competitively or casually you're playing, there's a bunch of cards from B08 you could probably run as Horse Emblem because it's got so much emphasis on cavalry.  And some of them are niche cards or maybe not the best in terms of viability - like B08-026 Tharja for niche effects, or B08-010 "Run and gun" Virion - but depending on the deck you're running you might be able to find a place for them or a way to use them effectively.

(That's all I got because I've only ever bought en masse from B08 series, and I know those cards better than I know any of the other sets - the more experienced players might be able to make other suggestions on this too.)

• 2 weeks later...
On June 19, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Motts said:

Oh I see so he uses the top deck for support and the next card milled is for his effect. So he's probsbly not a hugely viable card then is what you are saying. Guess I need just one for collection purposes 

He's still usable, you just need to focus on having lots of the Emblem of Fate/Destiny cards, like Cost 1 Eliwood or the new Cost 1 Roy, and just stack those on top with an Al in hand. You attack, trigger the Support Emblem, draw one, put Al on top of deck, flip the card over for your on-field Al's effect, oh look, an Al, how'd that get there, Untap. You can use him with Tiena, Jaffar or Nino to set those up just off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more cards that can do that.

On June 23, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Duma said:

One Vince missed is that if you're playing White(Hoshido) and/or a deck that flips lots of Bonds but doesn't need a lot on the Field at a time, then Mikoto is a good cost-effective Healer as she discards two Face-Down Bonds instead of Flipping two Bonds for her Heal cost - most of the players I know regularly try to play a small White and/or Yellow engine in their decks so they have access to either Mikoto or Deidre to make their Bonds go farther. With both small engines, I'd recommend Emma - her White Cost 1 has the simple Tap to move an ally, and her Yellow Cost 1 has a Bond Skill that does the same thing by Flipping her Face-Down, then you just flip her back up with Deidre.

On June 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Motts said:

Was also considering the possibility of making a red celica deck. Not sure about the other color. Any ideas on a good deck builds for a deck for her?

There's an insane combo she can do in a Marth deck with Alm and Tsubasa if I remember right, but it's tricky to set up and if your opponent Evades once during setup it pretty much falls apart. If nobody else on here knows the deck I'm talking about I'll check with the guys I play with and PM you the list. Generic Tome supporters like Mae's SR are also a decent idea.

43 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

He's still usable, you just need to focus on having lots of the Emblem of Fate/Destiny cards, like Cost 1 Eliwood or the new Cost 1 Roy, and just stack those on top with an Al in hand. You attack, trigger the Support Emblem, draw one, put Al on top of deck, flip the card over for your on-field Al's effect, oh look, an Al, how'd that get there, Untap. You can use him with Tiena, Jaffar or Nino to set those up just off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more cards that can do that.

One Vince missed is that if you're playing White(Hoshido) and/or a deck that flips lots of Bonds but doesn't need a lot on the Field at a time, then Mikoto is a good cost-effective Healer as she discards two Face-Down Bonds instead of Flipping two Bonds for her Heal cost - most of the players I know regularly try to play a small White and/or Yellow engine in their decks so they have access to either Mikoto or Deidre to make their Bonds go farther. With both small engines, I'd recommend Emma - her White Cost 1 has the simple Tap to move an ally, and her Yellow Cost 1 has a Bond Skill that does the same thing by Flipping her Face-Down, then you just flip her back up with Deidre.

There's an insane combo she can do in a Marth deck with Alm and Tsubasa if I remember right, but it's tricky to set up and if your opponent Evades once during setup it pretty much falls apart. If nobody else on here knows the deck I'm talking about I'll check with the guys I play with and PM you the list. Generic Tome supporters like Mae's SR are also a decent idea.

Thanks for all the comments and advice!

23 hours ago, Motts said:

Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Yeah, man, no problem, always glad to help people get into this game! Looks like nobody recognized the combo I mentioned so I'll try to get in touch with the other players I know and get the list and exact combo from them.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Motts said:

Will this thread be updated soon with the deck builds for series 9?

I could update it yes but that would require a fair amount of effort bleh.

And not a lot of interest is gathered so I dunno. 

14 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

I could update it yes but that would require a fair amount of effort bleh.

And not a lot of interest is gathered so I dunno. 

In all honesty, this set didn't open up a lot for new Champions, aside from Skrimir, Micaiah, and maybe the odd Tibarn or Al(m) here and there. If anything, there's splashable cards, like the new Fang support, Mae SR, Lilina R, and Roy R.

36 minutes ago, ScarletFlame said:

In all honesty, this set didn't open up a lot for new Champions, aside from Skrimir, Micaiah, and maybe the odd Tibarn or Al(m) here and there. If anything, there's splashable cards, like the new Fang support, Mae SR, Lilina R, and Roy R.

Sorry meant to quote you

18 hours ago, Motts said:

Splashable? Any idea what an Al deck would look like? Or a celica deck 

Both would look like absolutely unsalvageable shit, if that's what you're asking.

Blue Champion, Al, only gets his untap off if you're lucky (or is it unlucky?) to drop a copy of him after milling for your support. Remember, you have to kill a copy of Al in order to activate "We can't afford not to try!", so that means either you have to stack twice, or stack a Fate Emblem, and burn a copy of your own, which means you lose copies of Al that could be used to instead dodge. Sword of Champions usually won't come into play until it's too late, and the opponent already has the means to reduce you to nothing, as you wasted all your copies of Al in activating "We can't afford not to try!"

I ACTUALLY don't know what you want out of Celica, so I won't go into detail on that. You tell me, bud.

3 hours ago, ScarletFlame said:

Both would look like absolutely unsalvageable shit, if that's what you're asking.

Blue Champion, Al, only gets his untap off if you're lucky (or is it unlucky?) to drop a copy of him after milling for your support. Remember, you have to kill a copy of Al in order to activate "We can't afford not to try!", so that means either you have to stack twice, or stack a Fate Emblem, and burn a copy of your own, which means you lose copies of Al that could be used to instead dodge. Sword of Champions usually won't come into play until it's too late, and the opponent already has the means to reduce you to nothing, as you wasted all your copies of Al in activating "We can't afford not to try!"

I ACTUALLY don't know what you want out of Celica, so I won't go into detail on that. You tell me, bud.

Dude it was just an honest question. I run a yellow purple deck with main ayra so I was just wondering

On 7/20/2017 at 5:00 AM, Motts said:

Splashable? Any idea what an Al deck would look like? Or a celica deck 

DFLS6toVwAAnvlY.jpg

Al is pretty fun overall. Not a bad Main Character to start off with but there's always better ones than Al. He's inconsistent with the idea that he basically doesn't do anything if you don't reveal Als, but in return, you can end games reasonably quicker. This list is okay, but lacks the Nino (4 cost) SR. Nino SR is basically staple. My whole build is 20 supports too, so don't need fliers either. Tiena is fine to have too.

As for Celica, she's very lackluster overall. You're better off playing Conrad as your Main Character and then using Hero Skill from the Celica Cost 5 to make Celica your Main Character. Which isn't bad but Conrad himself would be better still I feel. 

So being new to playing the TCG, (I've been keeping up with the sets and watching matches), I was wondering what a good Grima deck would look like and how it mainly functions. Like what cards should I be looking for at the start of each match, what moves are the best or safest to make, and what good synergy inside the deck is.

1 hour ago, Shadowchris15 said:

So being new to playing the TCG, (I've been keeping up with the sets and watching matches), I was wondering what a good Grima deck would look like and how it mainly functions. Like what cards should I be looking for at the start of each match, what moves are the best or safest to make, and what good synergy inside the deck is.

For basic starter points, you want Grima in the starting hand for sure. RobinM (Cost 2) is a safe bet to have, and the RobinF SR (Cost 4) is always great to go to (another safe bet) to lie on til Grima is relevant.
Grima gives you card fodder (with risens) which you can exchange for better cards with RobinF SR (the same one as the one mentioned above) and Aversa SR. 
Grima also gives an easy way to grant herself that +20 attack.

The main problems are having multiple evades at once (you can only have up to 3, because one of your Grimas is gonna be fielded) and getting to the setup stage Grima needs to be at before you overwhelm the opponent.

Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 11.44.53 am.png

2 hours ago, Shadowchris15 said:

Alright, cool. Lemme fucking hit you up.

• Obviously, you wanna open up with Grima. Having Risen already in your hand is a plus. Might want to also make sure you have Pious Mage, Nino, for maximum stall.
  • Yeah, did I mention that this deck is the stall to end all stall? Because boy, is this deck stall. You will have really long duels. Like, longer than usual. Twice as long, maybe even more.
  • Vince's decklist features Amnesia-stricken Tactician, Robin (Female), as your starting card, but I'd rather use The Exalt's Other Half, Robin (Female), so your longevity during the early game is increased. Legendary Tactician, Robin, is actually okay to run, because surprise surprise, you might not always draw Grima, so you need to have a card to Class Change into. It's also a nice Bond-to-draw conversion, once you have Grima out.
  • Big board means big Florina. Sunny Pegasus Girl, Florina's Sunny Smile X-Support Skill gives her 10 Support for every card you control. Given that you draw 3 Risen every turn, that's almost always 40 Support.
  • Speaking of Risen, you can whittle your opponent's deck by hitting their units with these annoying fuckers.
  • Being a deck with a Mark of Naga Champion, Wellspring of Youth, Nowi, and Enigmatic Tactician, Robin, are musts, as you can now shuffle your resources around or keep yourself alive, respectively.
  • Shit man, you only need 1 Risen unit alive, so you might as well run Wicked Wings, Aversa, and use Nefarious Invitation to pop 2 Risen and get some madder advantage. Maybe make your opponent discard, too. Sure, why not.
  • Any Field Cost 1 card from Mark of Naga or Divine Weapon with the Winged Deliverer skill. Movement is relevant to positioning, and who knows when you need to have Grima hit some pesky units in the Rear Line?
  • If you're turned off by the thought of using only two factions, sub in some Nohr. Get Star of the Dark Sky, Elise, and tell your opponent "It's my turn now!", as you regain all of your advantage, right then and there. Add in cards like Honest Heart, Midori, to make use of your Risen, or better yet, Beautifully Dressed Butler, Forrest, so you can never get moved out of your Rear Line again.
  • What's that? How many Risen? 6 is tolerable, because you can have 3 deployed and 3 in your hand, but 8's preferable, as you have that beautiful buffer of 2 cards, until you have no more Risen.
  • Because Grima's The Grimleal Skill doesn't require Bonds to be flipped for its cost, you can run about any shit, and get away with it. More efficient cards like Carefree Little Lady, Clarine, or Smiling Sorceror, Henry, will rejoice at this revelation, then despair when they realize that you put them into fucking Grima..

Hi, Im currently new and trying to get into the game. I've decided to start with a corrinF deck that was built around Godly Child of the Final Light Flame, Corrin, Goddess of Death, Camilla, and Star of the Dark Sky, Elise.  Tomorrow, I have the opportunity to visit card shops that probably have fire emblem cipher single cards stocked. I was wondering if there were any standout cards worth buying that could help booster this deck, or cards that are essential to current meta decks.(For example, are the series 6 SR elise, and camilla worth getting) Also, which booster box series has the best cards? I've heard series 9 isnt that great.

Any help or a list of cards to keep a lookout for would be much appreciated

Thank you

1 hour ago, Artorias_ota said:

Hi, Im currently new and trying to get into the game. I've decided to start with a corrinF deck that was built around Godly Child of the Final Light Flame, Corrin, Goddess of Death, Camilla, and Star of the Dark Sky, Elise.  Tomorrow, I have the opportunity to visit card shops that probably have fire emblem cipher single cards stocked. I was wondering if there were any standout cards worth buying that could help booster this deck, or cards that are essential to current meta decks.(For example, are the series 6 SR elise, and camilla worth getting) Also, which booster box series has the best cards? I've heard series 9 isnt that great.

Any help or a list of cards to keep a lookout for would be much appreciated

Thank you

I'm making fucking autistic screeching noises, and it's not just at your double-posting. Or your non-capitalization.

Let's talk about it. Star of the Dark Sky, Elise, is a card that flips 2 Bonds. That's a fucking lot. If you haven't noticed, Godly Child of the Final Light Flame, Corrin (Female), is also a card that flips 2 Bonds. There is not even a snowball's chance in hell you are putting both in a deck, and expecting them to play nice with one another. In addition, both cards lean towards different playstyles. Corrin (Female) wants you to deploy high-Attack Nohr units, so she can untap and keep up offensive pressure, while Elise encourages stalling until it's Elise's turn.

Make your decision on who you want to base your deck on, bub. Goddess of Death, Camilla, is meh anywhere you put her, because she has 60 on defense, is a Flying unit, and all she does is hit things.