Competitive Decklists and Metagame Discussion - Latest Update: April 26 (S8)

Tuvillo

Ok, so imagine a deck with Ranulf and ALL birds. Your lord is 110 on offense and defence assuming you even find your promotion, and get steamrolled because none of your other units does anything, and you might be forced to use Ranulf on stuff that isn't the enemy Main Character.

The problem is, a deck with all birds is not realistic, and you're forced to play a lot of 10-supports as well, putting you at 100. And that's where every other deck has the option to beat your face in. (Set 5 might fix this, as dragons seem to be on curve AND have 20 support)

I really like Ranulf as the budget/boring option (No seriously, it's the most boring deck I have) but it's lacking compared to other decks we've seen that are good.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree and I can see that being an issue with the deck. Ranulf is SUPER big with that base 110. But the issue is that you have to run a bunch of rather mediocre units in order to give him that 110, worst part is he's not guaranteed to be 110 all the time (Assuming you're running ONLY Jill + Ranulf, that's 16 cards total which is pretty crappy.)

The deck has such awesome synergy too, Ena comboes well with Leanne, Reyson dances for your units with no downside, draw power with Naesala, extra damage and potential buff from Tibarn.

But they're all just... Mediocre in effect. It's really odd.

So Blue/Red Marth is still top deck at the moment then?

It's pretty much all Marth and White/Black decks (Mostly CorrinF, but there's a few outliers like Kinu, CorrinM and Azura)

But there's about an equal amount of random decks in here.

Red has by far the best cards, even now. However, Nowi is amazing, and the blue fliers are better than red, so that's why you see a lot of mixed Marths.

Pure Red Marth is better if you don't have Nowis.

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty much all Marth and White/Black decks (Mostly CorrinF, but there's a few outliers like Kinu, CorrinM and Azura)

But there's about an equal amount of random decks in here.

Are you referring to decks played or decks topped?

Because Kinu is not an outlier.... Japanese meta was (and I'd argue still is) dominated by Kamui (F) and Kinu since set 3 hit. There are still people who use Marth but Marth rarely comes out on top nowadays.

In early Feb, Kinu played against Kamui (F) in the finals of nationals (サイファ 日本一決定戦), with Kamui (F) coming out on top.

While this shouldn't a sole source to determine the meta, it is a good indicator: the results of the regionals that led to the nationals (サイファ 日本一決定戦):

Kanto - Liz, Kamui (F), Kamui (F), Kamui (F)

Chubu - Kinu

Chugoku/Shikoku - Kinu

Kyuushuu - Liz

Hokkaido - Kamui (M)

ShinEtsu - Aqua

Touhoku - Marth

Kansai - Liz, Marth

Source: http://kizunafe0.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-327.htm

Marth is still a solid deck but it no longer dominates other decks, especially not Hoshido/Nohr decks. A tech of Shigure limits an essential strategy in Marth's deck.

Ah, thanks for the information.

I think it's very hard to grasp the game for both me and most other people here because we're all mostly living in micro-metagames.

Kinu surprises me a little bit, but I'm not the least bit surprised Corrin F is dominating. That card is real good. Maybe even best card out at the moment.

By Liz, do you mean Lissa?

Yes, it should be Lissa, sorry I am not very familiar with English versions of the names. In Japan, Kamui (F) is being played a lot so it has become part of the meta. Kinu works similarly to Kamui (F) in the sense that they both ramp your Bond easily. Kinu can potentially ramp your bond by 3-4 every turn (if you mill a 3 or 4 cost), giving you an extra attacker just like how Kamui (F) summons Gunther and the likes for an extra attack. The best Kinu decks actually runs Kamui (F) as well, so you can ramp by 6-7 bond in a single turn! Luck is a factor though, if you keep milling Kinu with her own effect. But the Kinu decks that I've seen are generally running a large number of high cost, high *printed* power cards, like Gunther, any of the Kamui (F) or (M), Set 3 Ryouma & Marx, Camila, etc.

Not sure if shared in OP, but for your convenience, here is an example: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CY1po6PUoAAutBa.jpg:large

• 3 weeks later...

what do you guys think of Toma sr?

Move all units and he gets double attack? Then Cain (carnage) can potentially make him break an orb? I can see hyper offensive red decks with him and Navarre. Toma can bait evades and if they don't evade GG.

Also you think Nina is a good end game card?

For those who don't know, flip 5 bonds on deployment and add any shadow dragon card from discard to your hand, draw a card, add a card from top deck to bond, then if you're lower on orbs then the enemy- add top deck to orb.

what do you guys think of Toma sr?

Move all units and he gets double attack? Then Cain (carnage) can potentially make him break an orb? I can see hyper offensive red decks with him and Navarre. Toma can bait evades and if they don't evade GG.

Also you think Nina is a good end game card?

For those who don't know, flip 5 bonds on deployment and add any shadow dragon card from discard to your hand, draw a card, add a card from top deck to bond, then if you're lower on orbs then the enemy- add top deck to orb.

I haven't tried Toma but its not valued high so maybe the card isn't as good as we all thought.

Nina is hard to use -> You have to pay 5 bonds. You have tons of other good units paying bonds probably every turn, so unless you play a deck that doesn't use bonds at all or something, your going to be stuck.

Toma is not good and has the only Mirage that becomes Vanilla at some point in the game. I prefer a face-rush deck that can just punch face with every card in there.

Nyna is fine as long as nothing in your deck flips Bonds, but the problem is that Nyna is a red card, and you have absolutely no reason to not max out Maria and/or Lena instead.

Toma is not good and has the only Mirage that becomes Vanilla at some point in the game. I prefer a face-rush deck that can just punch face with every card in there.

Nyna is fine as long as nothing in your deck flips Bonds, but the problem is that Nyna is a red card, and you have absolutely no reason to not max out Maria and/or Lena instead.

Valid point on Nina.

Didn't get to look much at the carnage cards. But just see an easy way to double attack seemed scary. But I guess that's another reason why Owain isn't valued as high. He seems to have a similar gimic.

Never used lacky. I would like to try but I dont have a computer at home.

That's good that your a yugioh judge. I have some friends who try to top YCS and nationals over on the east coast.

I thought about being a judge my self but I never liked yugioh as a card game. It's "$$: The game"

Updated to include a couple of decks I found on Kizuna's Twitter.

Do people think I should leave up the set 1, 2, 3 links or are those completely outdated by now? (I might remove the decks that greatly changed by the release of new cards)

This metagame so far seems extremely, extremely aggressive. Just count the number of archers and 1-costs in these things!

Archers, Ogma1 and level 1 Manaketes are a big deal now because so many Main Characters can put them in range for taking out Orbs.

I'm surprised that hasn't been more of a thing before now. Spamming high-power cost 1's and archer supports has been easy ever since we got the cost 4 Corrin M from the set 2 TD.