Dawn of Darkness Snippets

Anacybele

So, I've been having trouble getting the creative juices really flowing, so I wrote this last night, a little snippet related to my main FE fic, Dawn of Darkness. I made the title plural since I'll surely be writing more of these in the future. They're just little one-shots, basically, much shorter than I what I normally write.

So here's the first one, a little scenario where Ike's son, Kael, and his friend Cameron are just being young, starry-eyed boys and Ike has to discipline the former. lol Of course, this is Kael before he became the insecure and not confident teenager that he'll be in DoD's sequel. As a kid, he was actually rather the opposite and didn't yet realize the hardships of being a legendary hero's son. It's part of his development.

A little bit of info for those not familiar with DoD: Cameron is actually a new face that I just came up with. But he'll appear in the sequel too. I've decided that he's Marc and Leona's son (they're the two early cavalier knights in DoD). Nancy is the daughter of Leyon and Azura (the former being the general of the knights and the latter being the lord character). Oh, one last thing: the Ike x Elincia pairing is used (and she is no longer queen here). Now I hope you enjoy. :) Though, I'm actually not too experienced in writing kids... But this is good practice, at least, right?

Also, feedback thread.

Ike's "Cool Sword"

"Hey, Cameron!" a young boy with deep blue hair and auburn eyes called out. Another boy was standing at the side of a small town road nearby. His light purple hair and blue eyes shown in the sunlight.

"Kael! What's up?" Cameron replied. "I've been waiting for you! But don't tell me you want to play Ike versus some super villain again. I'm getting bored of that. Can't we play a board game or something this time?"

"Nah, we can do something else if you want, I'm tired of that too. Even if my dad is the greatest ever! And I'm going to be just like him someday!"

"Ha, I bet. You're so lucky, you know?"

"Yeah! But what I'm so excited about right now is what he told me this morning!"

"Really? What was it?"

Kael could hardly contain himself as he nearly jumped up and down.

"My dad showed me where the key is!" he revealed, a huge grin on his face.

Cameron only gave him a confused look as he arched an eyebrow.

"Huh? What key?"

"The key to where he keeps Ragnell, duh!"

"Whoa, that sword?! No way!"

"Yeah way!"

"Whoaaa, awesome! What for though? You're just ten years old."

"Yeah, but my dad said that he felt that it was time I be recognized as a big boy. He showed me the key's hiding place, and said that now if something bad ever happened and he and my mom weren’t around, I could get the key and give it to somebody we trust."

Kael then struck a confident pose, his hands on his hips and a grin splashed on his face.

"What? You don't mean they leave you and your sis alone sometimes, do you?" Cameron wondered.

"Huh? No, that's dumb!" Kael protested. "If they both have to go do a job, my sister and I stay with a babysitter or neighbor."

"Oh! Well duh. I forgot about that. My parents leave me with a babysitter sometimes too. So, what about your dad's other weapons? I mean, doesn't he have another sword too?"

"Oh, Ettardios? Yeah, that's the one he takes with him all the time. He only uses Ragnell if he really needs to. Otherwise, he thinks it's kinda over the top. And that it could get stolen."

"Huh. But couldn't Ettardios get stolen too?"

"Yeah, and it actually did once, before it became Ettardios. Ragnell is special, though, and my dad doesn't want to risk the same happening to it."

"Yeah, makes sense."

Cameron then paused for a moment, before a smile crossed his features again.

"Say..." he said. "Your dad's out on a job right now, isn't he?"

"Yeah, and my mom's teaching my sister something. Dunno what. Probably sewing or some boring stuff like that."

"Bleh. Well, can you let me see Ragnell? I've always wanted to!"

"Huh?! Wait, Cameron, I don't know. My dad said only to get the key during emergencies when he and my mom aren't there."

"I know, but we're only going to look at it! Nothing else!"

"Yeah, but I could get in trouble!"

"No, you won't. It's not like we're doing anything dangerous. Just open it, take a good look at it, then lock it back up. No harm done!"

"Well..."

"Come on, pleeeeease?"

Kael then heaved a sigh of frustration.

"Okay, fine... Just don't let my sister find out. She'll totally go tattle-tale on us like a whiny baby."

"Oh, I hear you. And if your mom asks what we're doing, we just say we're going to your room to play a game."

"What? But we can't just lie to her!"

"No, you said we could go play a game! We'd still be telling the truth."

"Oh yeah... Well, let's go. My dad is supposed to be home sometime soon."

"Okay!"

With that, the two began to head towards Kael's house, a fairly small brick and stone building close by. Kael and Cameron hadn't taken more than a few steps, however, when a familiar female voice called out to them.

"Oh, hi, you guys!"

The boys turned around to see a girl with dark red hair just past her shoulders and brown eyes rushing towards them.

"Nancy?" Kael replied. "What are you doing here? You came all the way from the castle?"

"Yeah, that's kind of a long walk... Especially for a nine-year-old," Cameron added.

"What? Are you two really that dumb? Of course I didn't come all by myself, one of the soldiers dropped me off right on this street. He couldn't remember which house was yours, Kael."

"Oh..." Kael replied, his cheeks going pink with embarrassment. "So, you come to hang with my mom and Lalita?"

"Yeah, I want Miss Elincia to teach me some sewing and things like that too! My mom doesn't have any skills like that and she's busy a lot anyway since she's the earl here. But it sounds like fun to me!"

Cameron couldn't keep himself from chuckling.

"Eh, go do your girly stuff then, Cameron and I are off to do something that's actually cool," Kael said, almost snorting.

"Geez, you two are such boys," Nancy retorted with a glare.

"Aw come on, even you have to agree that seeing my dad's awesome sword, Ragnell, is super cool!"

"What?! Are you two crazy? You could get in big trouble!"

"But we won't," Cameron assured. "Relax, Nan, you're such a girl!"

"Yeah," Kael seconded with a laugh.

"Very funny! See you later," Nancy spat.

With that, she continued up to the front door of Kael's house and was soon invited inside after knocking on the door. Kael and Cameron merely rolled their eyes as they followed suit and entered. Just as they figured, Elincia noticed the two and asked if they were going upstairs to play. The boys answered yes and were reminded that Ike should be home soon.

"Aw crud," Kael uttered as he and Cameron made their way up the stairs. "I forgot that my dad was doing a quick job today."

"Ack, we need to hurry then," Cameron replied.

The two made their way to the master bedroom as quickly and quietly as they could, and slowly opened the door. Of course, the room was empty, other than the furniture. The queen-sized bed, two wardrobes, a vanity, and a pair of end tables decorated it. A closet was on the wall to the right of the door.

"My dad has the key hidden in a really smart place," Kael described, leading Cameron to the end of the bedframe. He then opened a small hidden compartment on it, and out came a key as gold as Ragnell's blade.

"Whoa! That's pretty cool. I'd have never thought to look here."

"That's the idea. Any thieves wouldn't think so either!"

Kael then led Cameron to the closet and opened the door. On one side hung Elincia's dresses, and on the other, another, smaller door was embedded in the wall. Only this one had a keyhole underneath the knob. After turning on a lantern inside, Kael then inserted the key into the keyhole and within a second, it clicked. He opened the small door and hanging upon the wall inside was Ragnell itself, its shining golden blade reflecting the light of the lantern.

"Whoa..." Cameron uttered, staring with bulging eyes at the amazing sword.

"It's the coolest-looking sword ever, isn't it?" Kael commented.

"Heck yeah! This is awesome!"

Cameron then took a couple steps closer to the blade.

"Hey, don't touch it! You could knock it over!" Kael warned.

"Relax, I'm just getting a closer look. Besides, isn't Ragnell supposed to be unbreakable?"

"Yeah, but still, it's a big and heavy sword."

"Well, that's true. And I got my look at it, so let's...whoa-aah!"

Before he could finish his sentence, Cameron found himself stumbling on what was probably one of Elincia's shoes, and he went crashing right into the wall beneath Ragnell's resting place. The sword itself soon began to topple forward.

"Hey, watch out!" Kael yelled and rushed to yank his friend out of the way. Ragnell fell right to the floor, thankfully not being within slicing distance of Elincia's dresses. However, the same wouldn't have been true for Cameron had Kael not been there.

"Oh man..." Cameron uttered with a gulp.

"Ugh, you idiot!" Kael shot in annoyance. "Now we have to put it back or definitely get in big trouble!"

"Sorry... But yeah, you're right. I promise to be very careful."

"Good. I'll go get the chair at my mom's vanity to make it easier to reach up there."

While Cameron waited at the closet door, Kael began making his way toward the vanity's chair. However, he'd only just made it out of the closet when the room's door opened to reveal none other than Ike himself, still garbed in his armor and Ettardios sheathed at his back. Kael could only freeze where he stood, his face going beet red.

"Hi, Dad..."

"Busted..." Cameron uttered.

"What the—? I thought I heard some noise up here," Ike said, closing the door behind him and approaching his son. "Kael, what in the goddess's name are you and Cameron doing in here? ...And why is Ragnell on the closet floor?!"

"Dad, I..."

"I asked to see it..." Cameron admitted, joining the two. "And I tripped in the closet and it fell over when I hit the wall."

"I was excited about you showing me where the key was and I told Cameron about it," Kael added. "But I didn't want to let him see the sword! And he still begged me to!"

"Yeah..."

Ike heaved a sigh, bringing two fingers to his temples.

"Kael, I did not show you that key's place so you could show off Ragnell to your friends," he said.

"I know..." Kael replied, looking down at the floor in shame. "I'm sorry..."

"Me too, Mr. Ike," Cameron seconded. "I just wanted to see that sword so bad... It looked so cool in the pictures I'd seen of it. I wasn't going to touch it or anything. I swear."

"Well, at least you’re both being honest," Ike commented as he picked Ragnell up and locked it back into its compartment. "But Kael, I let you see the key's place to teach you responsibility, and so that one day, Ragnell could become yours. Knowing the right thing to do is part of that responsibility. Don't be afraid to say no even to someone you trust if they're trying to pressure you into doing something that you don't want to do. If you absolutely don't want to do it, no is all you should say."

Kael sniffled before replying.

"I understand..." he said. "You're right, Dad. And I'll show you that I can be responsible like that from now on."

"Good," Ike replied and turned to Cameron. "Now Cameron, if you really wanted to just see Ragnell, the proper thing to do would've been to just ask me when I got home. I would've let you get a quick look at it. You two going about it on your own like this could've left you seriously hurt. Ragnell is a large and powerful sword, and it can also emit a shockwave. Not only could you have been hurt, but a shockwave set off by accident would've cut right through the wall and Elincia's clothes. Or, the blade could've fallen into the lantern, knocking it over and setting the place on fire.”

"Oh..." Cameron uttered. "I...never thought about that. I'm really sorry..."

"I'm glad to hear that," Ike said.

Before anyone could say another word, the bedroom door opened again, this time to reveal a small girl with a bouncing green ponytail that was clipped by a pink bow.

"Daddy! Mommy said—" she began, and then noticed what was going on.

A devious grin immediately crossed her features.

"Oooh! Kael is in trouble! Kael is in trouble!" she sang teasingly.

"Shut up, Lalita!" Kael retorted angrily.

"Hey, you can be in trouble too if you want, young lady," Ike replied.

"Oh, oopsie..." Lalita replied and then smiled innocently. "Sorry!"

"Oh, but you, Kael, you're grounded for the rest of today and tomorrow," Ike continued.

"What?!" Kael protested. "Dad!"

"Like I said, you and Cameron could've seriously hurt yourselves," Ike repeated. "This should teach you another lesson about responsibility. Taking it for your actions."

"Ugh..."

"Then I guess I have to go tell my mom and dad and have them punish me too..." Cameron said with a groan.

"That's right," Ike confirmed. "Or I'll tell them for you."

"I thought so..."

"Well, you should run along home now and do that since Kael can't play now."

"Yes, Sir..."

With that, Cameron departed the room, leaving Kael with his father and sister. Ike returned his attention to his son.

"Well, you're off to your room then," he said.

"Yes, Dad..." Kael obeyed.

Before Ike could turn around, however, Lalita stuck her tongue out at Kael with a goofy smile at the same time.

"HEY, CUT IT OUT!" Kael shot back and chased after her. Lalita simply ran away giggling hysterically.

"Kael! Lalita, both of you!" Ike called. "Ugh...! They'll never stop this petty back-and-forth..."

He then rushed out of the room in hopes that he could catch the children. It does remind me of myself and Mist when we were kids though.
Edited by Anacybele

• 2 months later...

Okay, I finally have another snippet! This time more DoD characters are included. :) There are also some major spoilers though, so beware!

A Festival to Remember

"Daddy! Are we there yet?" a little girl with a small green ponytail wondered in a somewhat complaining tone. She was donned in a summer dress.

"Yeah, I'm tired of sitting in a wagon! "I want to see the festival already!" a blue-haired boy next to her added, fiddling with his bluish-green shirt.

"Don't worry, you two, it shouldn't be much longer," a man with the same blue hair replied with a smile. "The driver said a couple hours ago that we crossed the Astryn border."

"Good," the boy commented, plopping over onto the wagon floor. "I think Cameron, Nancy, and Lalita and I have played every possible road trip game to death!"

"I know, right?" Cameron, a boy with light blueish purple hair agreed. "I don't think I can do another minute of I Spy or war games, even with you, Kael!"

"And Nancy and I are bored with our dollies!" Lalita said. "We both only brought one, you know."

"Yeah," Nancy added, playing with her dark red hair. "Dollies are fun, but not that fun. Why couldn't we bring more toys instead of these sleeping bags and tents?"

"I already told you," a man with bluish green hair said firmly, though a hint of confusion soon worked its way across his features. "...at least, I think I did. But, I'm telling you now. Those are in case we get held up and need to spend the night on the road. Sleeping on the ground is not pleasant. Believe me, I've tried. It's something I wish I could forget!"

A woman with the same green hair as Lalita smiled pleasantly.

"Well, Lalita, maybe your father can tell all of you some more stories of his heroics to pass the rest of the time," she suggested and turned to the blue-haired man. "Ike, dear?"

"Oh! Yeah, Dad, please?" Kael begged. "You did so much cool stuff!"

"Totally, there's like nothing you did that wasn't amazing!" Cameron seconded.

Ike could only let out a sigh before replying.

"Well, I suppose I have no choice now that your mother brought it up, Kael," he said, giving the woman a sarcastic grin. "Thanks, Elincia."

"Hee hee, no problem," Elincia replied.

The kids all cheered as a result, and another woman with the same dark red hair as Nancy smiled.

"Oh, Ike, you know the kids love your stories," she said. "You're the famed Radiant Hero aka the Blue Flame, you know."

"Yeah, Azura, I know," Ike replied. "And I do admit that these days, I appreciate all the respect people have for me a little more than I used to. Sometimes it just feels a little overwhelming, is all."

"That's understandable," another man with burnt orange hair said. "Even the fame Azura and I have garnered feels that way sometimes too, and it’s not even on the level of yours!"

"Leyon, are you sure you don't actually love being famous?" Azura playfully questioned her husband. "What with how many couples credit you for the reason that they're together?"

"That's...er, different," Leyon countered, his cheeks fading pink.

"Ha, sure it is."

"And Leona and I are one of them, remember," bluish green haired man stepped in with a proud grin. "Not even I would forget that."

"You would do your best not to forget that, wouldn't you, Marc?" Leyon said.

"Yep! Memory problems be damned!"

"Dad, I'll agree with that when you stop asking me the same thing a bunch of times a day," Cameron said with a chuckle.

Marc opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. He soon found himself unable to come up with a response.

"The boy has a point, you know," Ike said with a snicker.

"Yeah, yeah," Marc finally admitted. "Well, while you tell your little story, I'm going to check in on Leona and the driver. I might forget all the details anyway, and you wouldn't want that, right?"

"Oh shush."

Marc then headed to the front of the wagon while Ike thought about which of his escapades he decided to talk about. He brought a hand to his chin and began to think.

"Hmm... Ah, Kael," Ike began moments later. "Did I ever tell you and your friends about the time your mother disarmed herself in front of an enemy army in an attempt to stop the battle and I and some of her knights came to her rescue?"

"Oh, no you didn't! That sounds awesome!" Kael replied. "Mom must've been really brave to do that!"

"Yeah, she was!" Lalita agreed. "Mommy, that sounds amazing!"

"Aw, thank you, sweetie," Elincia replied, her cheeks going pink this time. "I'd say your father's mercenaries and the knights were the real heroes there, though. I put too much faith in my long-held belief that even during war, all the people truly want is peace. And I nearly got myself killed trying to prove it."

"Now don't say that. It took a lot of courage to stand by your principles with what was happening, and it's not your fault the people you spoke to were too warped to listen," Ike countered with a smile. "But regardless, here's the story."

Ike then delved into the tale of how, at the climax of the war between the Laguz Alliance and the Begnion Empire, the Imperial Army had begun to force their way through Crimea in order to invade the beast laguz nation of Gallia. Despite having honored the terms of their neutrality in the conflict, Crimea had been treated little better by Begnion than the laguz they'd been warring with and ultimately, Elincia chose to make one final entreaty to end the madness. General Zelgius had been about to order his men to stand down, as even he would not attack an unarmed woman. However, his superior, one of the power crazed Begnion senators, wouldn't have it and countermanded Zelgius's order. Luckily, Ike's mercenaries had been with the laguz army in the area. While General Geoffrey and the Royal Knights fended off any attacks against Elincia, Ike and his mercenaries broke through Begnion's lines to attack the depraved senator, both groups working to slay any archers that might try and bring down Elincia and her Pegasus.

"I later took Senator Valtome on in battle myself," Ike continued. "He was a sage, which meant that he was a seasoned magic user, and you kids know by now that I can't resist magical damage very well, but I didn't care. He was attacking the woman I loved while she'd dropped her weapon. I was going to behead him if I had to."

"Of course, Soren warned you not to get carried away because of that, didn't he?" Elincia reminded.

"Heh, yes, he did. I told him he didn't need to worry and that I knew better than to blind myself with anger," Ike continued. "Few things get me angry like threatening the woman I love. Valtome might've regretted doing so...if he'd lived long enough. I had my training, strength, resolve, and blade to guide me. And the fact that magic wielders can’t take many blows from physical weapons."

"Awesome!" Kael commented. "No one can ever defeat you, Dad!"

"Yeah, Daddy, you're so strong!" Lalita chimed in.

"Ah, I just avoid picking battles that I know I can't win," Ike said with abashment.

"But you can win any battle, right?" Kael wondered.

"Well, not exactly," Ike admitted. "There was that one battle against Daein's Dawn Brigade. They were a group of rebels fighting the Begnion forces which had occupied Daein after the Mad King's War. In fact, Sothe and Micaiah, who led the Brigade, are now the prince consort and queen of Daein. But, getting back on topic, their victories against Begnion meant that they knew how to go up against a stronger force and win. And, some of the brigadiers had fought alongside me and my mercenaries during the Mad King's War, which meant they knew we fight. I ended up underestimating them, which is a big mistake in combat, and wound up having to retreat. Technically, I didn't lose, since my mercenaries and I all made it out alive, but I definitely didn't win that one."

"Aw, well, then I guess even the greatest can't win them all."

"That's right. And that's one thing you have to remember as a warrior."

"Oh, I will, Dad! And I'll be just like you!"

"Ha, I'm sure you will!"

Moments later, Marc came back into the wagon, a large grin on his face.

"Hey, you guys, we're almost there! We can see Medann from here now!" he said.

The kids all cheered happily upon this news. During the remainder of the trip, Ike brought up a few more little stories about his past. The kids were so eagerly listening that they didn’t even notice when the wagon pulled into the grand city of Medann and approached the festival grounds. This was to be the first of many festivals to come, in honor of Astryn's current king, Bryan. King Bryan was famous for the deeds he did to rescue the country from poverty and turmoil, as well as what he did during the previous war. Leyon and Azura's fame also came from the war. And Ike, Elincia, Marc, and Leona all fought alongside them. Bryan and his wife and queen, Faline, invited them as VIP guests. They were allowed to enjoy the festivities before anyone else. Though guards were still stationed in the area to make sure nothing went wrong.

The festival grounds were a lovely sight to see. Streamers of many shades of green decorated wooden poles, and many booths and tents were set up. These were also painted in emerald hues to match. The color Bryan wore most often was green, so it was only fitting that the festival use it too. Some of the booths held games to play while others were going to have food and drinks. A jousting and dueling arena was set up as well.

"Alright, everybody out!" Ike said after the wagon was parked just outside of the grounds.

“"This is going to be awesome!" Kael cried excitedly.

"Yeah!" Lalita agreed, jumping up and down.

"I can't wait to go in!" Nancy chimed in.

"Are we going to meet King Bryan and Queen Faline soon?" Cameron wondered.

"We are, Cameron," Leona said with a smile. "Be patient, we're going to meet up with them at the main entrance."

"Great!" Cameron replied. "Kael said they have two kids too, didn't you, Kael?"

"Yeah, my dad told me," Kael replied. "You said they were twins, right, Dad?"

"Yep, they are," Ike confirmed. "Young Prince Alex and Princess Calina. Your mother and I were here when they were born. King Bryan and Queen Faline invited us here during that occasion too."

"And goodness, was Bryan overwhelmed with surprise," Elincia commented, an amused smile on her face. "He literally passed out right after the royal doctor announced the news!"

"Ha, he sure did. We had to lay him on the couch and he didn’t wake for around ten minutes."

"Oh wow," Kael replied with a laugh.

Moments later, an oddly familiar masculine voice called out to them, but it didn't sound like Bryan. Everyone turned to see a man with bright blue hair tied back into a small ponytail.

"Hey! You guys made it!" he said.

"Ah, Skye!" Azura greeted. "I knew we'd see you here."

"Hey, Skye," Ike stepped in.

"Of course I'd be here, his majesty wouldn't forget to invite his best friend, you know," Skye reminded the group with a grin.

"Heh, of course," Leyon said. "So, let's get going. These kids are getting a little impatient.”

"Ah, right. This way. Bryan asked me to help."

"Heh, he would do that," Azura replied with a chuckle.

With that, Skye led the group across the wagon parking area to where guests could enter the festival grounds. Standing at the gate were four figures, the adults garbed in beautifully detailed armor. The man was wearing mostly green, and had a flowing dark blue cape behind him, as well as a circlet around his head. His hair was also a bright olive green. The woman wore plum purple armor, with a shorter cape behind her. She wore a lovely tiara above her long, pink hair. The two children were also wearing elaborate clothing, the girl in a lovely blue dress and the boy in a green suit-like outfit. The girl wore a small tiara as well.

"Ah, you finally made it!" the man said. "I was afraid you wouldn't arrive until late."

"Hey, Bryan!" Azura greeted. "We were a little backed up by all the other people trying to come for the festival. But we're here."

"Yeah, it's nice to be here too," Ike put in. "Faline, how have you two been? The twins a handful?"

"Oh, yes," Faline replied with a small chuckle. "We've both been getting by though."

"Somehow," Bryan added. "Ah, but we need to make some introductions, don't we? Alex, Calina, these are the children of our friends."

"Oh, cool!" Alex replied. "You're the Kael I've heard all about then."

"That's me!" Kael confirmed. "I've heard about you guys too. Do I have to call you two prince or princess or your highness? I can if you want to. I mean, you and your sis are royalty."

"Naw, don't worry about it, we're just kids, you know."

"Yeah, it's no big deal," Calina replied. "And you're Lalita? I love your bow clip! And Nancy, right? Your dress is cute! I wish we could play dress up someday, but we can have fun here too! The festival people have set up a lot of neat things!"

"Oh, goodie!" Lalita commented. "And thanks!"

"Yeah, thanks!" Nancy added. "I'm an earl's daughter, so I dress sorta like you."

"I'm Cameron!" Cameron finally stepped in. "Did you guys hear about me too? My mom and dad are high ranking knights of Talgria!"

"Huh?" Alex said. "No, our parents didn't say anything about you. But it's cool to meet you too!"

"Aw, what?" Cameron blubbered, deflating. "Really?"

"Oh, my bad, Cameron," Bryan said. "I'm afraid Faline and I didn't know Marc and Leona had a child. We would have mentioned you if we had, I promise."

"Marc, you were supposed to tell Bryan that!" Leona stepped in. "I knew I should've written the letter. I insisted that I do it, but no, you were all 'but I couldn't possibly forget about my own child!"

"Dad!" Cameron cried. "Seriously?!"

"...Ugh, you both are right," Marc admitted. "I messed up there. I honestly thought I couldn't forget you, Cameron. And I was remembering better than I had in the past with your mother around as well as you. I'm trying hard though, I really am."

"Well, you are, that much is true," Leona agreed. "Next time, though, you could ask me if you've forgotten anything. Cameron can remind you of these things as well."

"Right, good idea. Sorry about that, Bryan."

"Oh, no worries, you know we know of your short-term memory issues," Bryan replied.

"That's for sure," Faline added with a giggle.

"By the way, I'm surprised you two don't have guards standing over you," Azura said. "You are the king and queen, after all."

"Really? When there are dozens stationed around the festival grounds and we're having friendly company?” Bryan replied with a chuckle. "That'd be too intrusive.”

"Heh, I suppose that's true."

"Well, how about we head inside and leave these youngsters to get to know one another?” Ike suggested. "They seem to be hitting it off well."

"Yeah, good idea," Bryan agreed with a smile.

The group then entered the festival grounds at last, awed and amazed at the sights before them. The booths, tents, and decorations were magnificent, even if they were mainly emerald hued. The kids weren’t sure which games or events they wanted to go to first, even after Bryan mentioned that there was an area made just for children.

"Now, Faline and I don’t quite know everything about what's going on yet since this is the very first Festival of the Emerald King," he continued. "But we know enough for now, I think."

"Yep, we can tell you where most of the food stands are as well as the children's area and many of the other main attractions," Faline confirmed.

"Great!" Azura replied. "Sounds good to me. And it's nice that you invited us as VIPs that get to enjoy the festivities early. We don't have to battle crowds."

"Yeah, and that wouldn't be fun with how many people would be trying to get our autographs or something," Ike seconded. "Though, the irony here with me is amazing. I grew up hating nobles and royals, and not only am I friends with several of them now, I also married one! Haha."

"Heh, they do say that people often find love, friendship, and happiness in the most unexpected of places," Bryan pointed out.

"It's true! Take it from me," Faline said. "Did I ever expect to marry a prince and become a queen? Definitely not."

"Indeed," Elincia agreed. "After the rule of Crimea passed to me, I thought I'd find my happiness in helping my country to recover from the wars and forging a lasting peace with the laguz. But, as much as I love Crimea and her people, and wish to support them however I can, I wasn't up to the task. But, now that my uncle has taken the throne, I do feel better knowing Crimea is in good hands. And, I've found my happiness in my new home with my family."

She then flashed a loving smile towards Ike, who could only blush in response.

"Anyway, we'll go to the kids' area first, and let them have some fun while it's still daylight out," Bryan said. "What do you say, kids?"

It didn't take long for all six kids to chant in happiness at the same time.

"I think that's a yes," Azura chuckled.

"And while they have a good time, we'll hang around and do some catching up," Leyon said.

"Right," Bryan confirmed.

With that, Bryan and Faline led the group through the festival grounds, to the eastern side of it. There stood some smaller stands and tents with simpler games and attractions, such as a fishing game, an arena with play swords, child's archery game, and a pony ride. The girls and Cameron were interested in the pony ride, prompting Nancy to say that she thought Cameron wasn't into "girly stuff" like that. Cameron countered by saying horseback riding, even if it was on a pony, wasn’t girly since men could do it too and his father was a knight. It was indeed reasonable for Cameron to want to be a cavalier knight himself one day since his parents were two of them.  Nancy merely rolled her eyes with a smile. Kael and Alex decided they would rather duke it out in the play sword arena.

"I'm not riding any dumb pony," Kael said. "My dad and I stay on foot and that's how we'll always be. I still can't believe that the statue of my dad that I heard about that's in Crimea has him riding a horse! It's so not right!"

"Pff, suit yourself then!" Cameron countered.

"Now don't start arguing over what to do," Ike stepped in.  "You don't all have to do the exact same thing at the same time. Just stay close and don't wander off."

Kael is right that that statue is inaccurate though. Man, people sometimes...

"And you can come to us if something is wrong," Elincia pointed out.

"Well, alright," Kael agreed.

"Don't get too dirty either, Alex and Calina," Bryan added. "I'm not going to be strict about it since you're both still kids, but you know your grandfather would go through the palace roof if we came back with you two soiled from head to toe."

"We know, Dad," the twins replied.

"And you be careful, Cameron, and think before you act," Leona put in. "I feel I have to warn you after that fiasco with Ike's sword."

"Yes, Mom, I will," Cameron obeyed with a sigh.

"And you know to behave, Nancy, so all of you go have some fun!" Leyon suggested.

The kids then cheered again and bolted off to the kids’ attractions. The adults sat down at a table nearby, likely meant to provide guests with somewhere to eat a meal.

"Oh, Skye, you've been strangely quiet," Bryan pointed out.

"Well, I didn't really have anything to add this whole time. I don't have a kid with me like the rest of you," Skye replied.

"Yeah, that's true. But don't worry, we'll talk about more than just that. You know I'd never leave you out of anything like this."

"Heh, I know. But feel free to tell me about all your family business anyway, guys. They can be fun stories whether you're a parent or not!"

"That's for sure," Ike agreed.

"Well, Skye, I'm actually more curious about you and Raela right now," Bryan said with a punchy smile. "Weren't you two "going steady" or something like that?"

"...Er," Skye began, his cheeks going pink. "Okay, okay, I'll give it to you straight. We did date for a while. But we broke up later. It just didn't work. I found that I cared about Raela more than I thought, but my hot head got in the way and we had to commute a lot between Castle Elhorhi and Kolah. It was just too much traveling for us. We're still friends though, and I visit her every now and then."

"I see..." Bryan replied. "That's a bummer. Sometimes things don't work out though, and you just have to keep moving on with life, you know?"

"Yeah, true that."

The conversing continued as topics ranged from family to friends to little everyday things and more. Ike mentioned that he would've invited his sister and a few friends from Tellius to see the festival, but the notice had been too short. The next year though, he would certainly do so. Bryan said it was no problem, and understood that he did indeed send word about the festival on a rather short notice. Tellius was across the ocean and a trip from there to Astryn in Altarais would've taken at least two months. Elincia wanted to visit Crimea sometime in the near future so her children could meet their family and friends over there. The only time Kael and Lalita had seen them was when they were infants and it was in Altarais. They had come over when the two were born as well as when their friends had children. Ike's sister, Mist, definitely wasn't going to go without letting her son meet his uncle at least. She was also excited to be an aunt. Titania was happy to meet her "grandkids" as well. She had been like a mother to Ike and Mist.

Bryan also told all about how his father, Owen, was enjoying being a grandfather. He played with the twins any time he could, which was usually when he wasn't in a meeting or lecturing and advising Bryan and Faline. Back in Talgria, juggling duties in Azura's earldom, Elhorhi, duties in Talgria's capital, Aracion, and fatherhood wasn't easy for Leyon, but he was able to handle it so far. The only times he was stressed a lot were when the weather was bad for traveling. The others definitely weren’t surprised to hear this, as the weather was bad the day Nancy was born as well. Leyon had shown up in Azura's infirmary room soaking wet and muddy. Marc and Leona mentioned Cameron's two sets of grandparents as well, prompting the others to say that the boy was lucky there. Not many children actually had that many grandparents these days due to the fairly recent wars.

Around an hour passed as the group talked, and they became so absorbed in their conversation that they unwittingly stopped turning around to check on the kids for a time. Finally, Elincia did so, and did not see any of the six children.

"Oh! Ike, where are your son and daughter and their friends?" she inquired.

"Huh?" Ike replied, turning around as well. "What the—?! They're gone?!"

The others were prompted to turn around as well, and just as Elincia said, none of the children were anywhere in sight.

"Crud! I don't see them anywhere either!" Leyon said. "Bryan, weren't you and Faline checking up on them every now and then earlier?"

"What? I thought Ike was doing that!" Bryan protested.

"And I thought it was Azura!" Faline said.

"I thought we all were," Azura stepped in with a glare. Skye could only sigh in irritation.

"You know what, I bet Cameron got them to wander off somewhere!" Ike suggested in irritation.

"What?!" both Marc and Leona blurted, the latter more angrily.

"I wouldn't be surprised after he convinced Kael to open Ragnell's compartment and almost cause a lot of trouble!" Ike continued. "I'm starting to think that boy is a bad influence! You two need to raise him better!"

"Ike, how dare you!" Leona shouted. "You know we disciplined him for that! Cameron is not a bad child! And maybe your boy could learn to be less vulnerable to peer pressure!"

"What did you just say?!"

"Both of you, SHUT UP!" Azura stepped in. "I don't think any of the kids did anything wrong, and shouting at each other won’t solve the problem!"

"Leona, that wasn’t necessary," Marc intervened. "And Ike, Cameron would never do that. You're seriously jumping to conclusions."

"Marc is right, Ike, your comment was uncalled for," Elincia seconded. "You need to calm down."

"...Yeah, you're both right," Ike admitted with a sigh. "I just... When Kael was a baby, he was kidnapped right out of his crib and nearly killed after the building he was imprisoned in accidentally caught fire. Elincia and I were both such a mess that she kicked me out for not protecting our son and I sat in a tavern for hours before figuring out what to do. I'm lucky I didn't get drunk. Ever since, it hasn't been easy not to get really upset if it looks like my kids are in trouble."

"It's true. I blame myself too," Elincia confirmed. "For Ike getting so easily upset over this, that is. I needlessly blamed him for that entire incident."

"And I still feel somewhat at fault no matter what Elincia says. The bandits took Kael to get back at me."

"I see," Marc replied. "I understand."

"So do I," Leona added. "I'm sorry to hear about that."

"I did hear about that," Azura said. "I couldn't believe it myself. But we won't find our kids if we don't get up and look for them."

"Yeah, as sad as that story is,” Bryan agreed. "Let's split up so we cover more ground. Faline and I will order the guards to search too."

"Right," Ike said.

"I'll help too, of course," Skye volunteered.

With that, the group got up from the table and each chose a different path through the festival grounds. As Bryan and Faline gave their guards their orders as promised, everyone described the kids to them as best as they could so they knew who exactly to look for. Soon enough, more than three dozen people were searching for the six kids. Bryan warned everyone not to let the word get out any further than that, however, because among the kids were Astryn's young prince and princess and nobody wanted to cause a panic if it turned out that there was no foul play involved.

For the next few hours, everyone searched every nook and cranny in the festival grounds aside from the kids' area. Food stands, tents, arenas, and everything else. Even a few areas outside the festival grounds were searched just in case, but not a single child was found. This only made the parents worry more, and Bryan began considering sending word throughout the city of the missing children. Elincia and Faline also began to cry, prompting their husbands to comfort them. At this point, foul play definitely seemed like the explanation. Bandits might've snuck in behind everyone’s backs and taken them. The only question was how. Security was made as tight as possible since Bryan and Faline weren't being followed everywhere by bodyguards. The only other possible scenario of a kidnapping that the parents could think of was the children wandering away and then getting snatched. But then why would they have wandered off in the first place after Ike told them not to?

The parents met back up at the table they had been sitting at in the kids' area, about ready to give up on running all over the festival grounds.

"Still no one's found them?" Azura spoke up first.

"No..." Elincia sobbed.

"I'm so worried!" Faline added, sniffling.

"We all are, sweetheart," Bryan said, further hugging her. "I've decided to spread the word throughout Medann. I don't think we have any other choice at this point."

"I agree," Ike replied.

"What must be done must be done," Leyon put in.

"We have no objection either," Marc said for himself and Leona.

"I just hope we find them all safe and sound..." Leona said.

"Me too," Skye agreed. "But if any bandits got their hands on them, I won't hesitate to start firing arrows."

"Alright, then Bryan, what do we—" Azura began. She was soon cut off by another voice.

"Mom! Dad!" a young boy shouted. It was Kael. He was followed by Lalita and the rest of the children, who blurted the same words. They all ran straight into their parents' torsos and wrapped their arms around them. The parents, of course, cried the children's names in return.

"Where have you all been?!" Ike inquired. "We couldn't find you anywhere!"

"Yeah, and all the guards are searching and I was about to warn the city that kidnappers might be on the loose!" Bryan added. "Do you all realize how much trouble you nearly caused?"

"Huh?" Kael replied. "But we've been here the whole time."

"Yeah, Dad," Alex seconded. "We swear. We never left."

The other kids all voiced the same thing, leaving the adults speechless for a few moments. How were they there all that time when they were nowhere to be seen?

"Kael, you better not be lying to us," Ike warned. "We didn't see any of you anywhere around here the last time we checked."

"Dad, we're not lying!" Kael protested. "We were just in the fun house tent right over there."

The boy then pointed to one of the nearby tents, which was painted in all sorts of funky colors. The adults were once again silent, this time in stupefying shock rather than confusion.

"We were having so much fun that we played hide-and-seek in there a few times, Daddy," Lalita chimed in.

"It's true!" Nancy seconded. "It's so fun in there! It's gotta be why they call it a fun house tent!"

"Yeah, it's got mirrors that make you look funny, twisty slides, stairs that can turn into ramps and other stuff!" Cameron described. "We pranked the girls on one of the staircases, it was making Kael and I laugh so hard!"

"Wasn't fun for us!" Calina whined. "But we got the boys right back with those wooden animals and laguz that pop up, didn't we Nancy and Lalita?"

"Oh yeah!" Nancy and Lalita both replied with giggles. The boys merely rolled their eyes.

The adults, meanwhile, just blinked and stayed silent for a second or two. Ike soon found himself slapping his face with his hand.

"Dad, we stayed here the whole time, just like you told us," Kael said. "We were worried about you guys because we came out and found you gone! And Lalita wouldn't stop being a whiny baby about it."

"Hey, I'm not a baby!" Lalita protested.

"Then why wouldn't you stop crying?!"

"Okay, enough," Ike spoke up, though rather ashamedly. "But I see..."

"Wait, that means..." Cameron started. "They ended up leaving us here alone for a long time. Oh wow, hahaha!"

"Naughty, naughty parents!" Lalita teased, giggling.

"...They're right, you guys," Marc finally said. "We're the ones that screwed up here."

"Yeah..." Ike admitted, until something suddenly came to his mind. "Wait a minute. Bryan, you and Faline never said anything about a fun house tent here."

"We didn't know about it!" Bryan protested. "Honest! And I did say that we didn't quite know everything about the festival yet!"

"Well... true. Ugh, we don't have anyone to blame here but ourselves. Kael, don't worry, none of you are in trouble. You're right, you did do exactly as you were told."

"See? I told you!" Kael replied, trying hard not to laugh. "And Dad, we're all getting hungry now."

"We are," Lalita seconded. The other kids voiced the affirmative as well.

"Well, playing so much probably does work up an appetite," Elincia deduced with a smile. "Let's put this crazy misunderstanding behind us and go get something to eat."

"Good idea," Ike agreed, returning the gesture. "Although, this will certainly be something to remember. What chaos we all nearly caused."

"I know, right?" Azura replied with a chuckle. "But let's go get that food and enjoy the rest of the festival. What do you all say?"

"Sounds great to me!" Bryan agreed.

"I say let's do it!" Leyon put in.

The group then walked off to find the nearest food stands. The adults were also finding themselves gaining appetites after all the running around they had just done. No doubt about it, Ike was right when he said they would remember it. The kids probably wouldn't let them live it down either. But of course, even they would understand that no parents are perfect.

Edited by Anacybele

• 3 months later...

I finally did a third snippet a couple nights ago, but didn't feel like posting it here until now. :P And this one doesn't include Ike and Elincia or any canon characters, actually. I figure it was time to shift the focus to some different characters. Ike and Elincia do get one mention, but that's it. And we see a couple characters here that didn't appear in either of the previous two. Btw, for those who haven't read DoD, I should point out that Bryan and Faline were not raised to be royalty despite that they are, so that's why they don't act like typical royals here (Bryan just turned out to have royal blood, major spoiler alert lol). Also, alliteration ftw. ^^

Loving Like Lartz

"Lartz, go on! This is the perfect opportunity!" Faline encouraged her wyvern general. "You're in the beautiful palace garden on a lovely evening and no one else is around. You and Marina will have a romantic moment alone!"

"Yeah, but..." Lartz stammered. "I still don’t know about this."

"Lartz, everything will be fine," Bryan replied with a smile. "It isn't like Marina's afraid of you or your power or anything."

"I know, it's the less direct issues it could cause that I'm worried about."

"Oh, Marina won't care about that. She would love you far too much," Faline assured. "And besides, like I keep telling you, you never know if you don't try. Also, just so you wouldn't ever back out, I actually told Marina you'd meet her here."

"Y-you what?!" Lartz blurted out, but Faline gave only her perfect-little-angel smile in reply, causing the wyvern general to sag in defeat. "Ugh... Well, I guess I don't have a choice now. Marina would obviously be upset if I didn't follow through."

"Exactly," Faline confirmed happily. "And don't fret, you'll be fine."

"Heh, that's right," Bryan added. "Lartz, believe me, plenty of guys and girls get nervous when they're in your place. All those people who say that the hard part is telling that special someone how you feel? Well, they're right. I didn't even know I was feeling love and I was still nervous before Faline more or less forced it out! Ike was in a similar situation with Elincia too. So what you're feeling is natural, and if Marina really cares about you, she wouldn't make fun of you or anything if something goes wrong over there."

"That's true, and we are good friends already," Lartz agreed, sweating a little bit. "Well... Let's do this, then."

"Excellent," Faline complimented proudly.

Lartz was still hesitant for a moment, and Faline literally gave him a shove into the garden path. The sudden blow left him madly pinwheeling his arms for balance, but he eventually managed to regain his footing. Marina didn't seem to notice anyway. She was sitting on a white bench nearby, waiting for Lartz to appear. Lartz gazed upon her before approaching, her light blue tunic and long dirty-blonde braid gently swaying in the breeze. Her bluish-green eyes seemed focused on the starry night sky as she waited. Lartz always did think she was quite pretty, and simply seeing her sitting there now almost made him forget what he was there to do. He soon let a big sigh escape his lips.

"Here goes nothing..." Lartz uttered as he walked over to Marina. She turned to greet him with a smile.

"Oh, there you are, Lartz," she said. "Faline said you wanted to meet me out here?"

"...Oh! Yes, I did, Marina," Lartz responded a moment later, his mind nearly wandering again. "Erm..."

"What's the matter? What did you want to talk about?"

"Ah, nothing’s wrong, don't worry about that. I'm just...not sure where to begin."

"Oh, I see. Sounds like you just felt like chatting, am I right?"

"I guess you could say that."

"Well, I like the location you picked! You must've decided on the garden because it's so lovely out tonight, isn't it? And the garden itself is always beautiful."

"Oh, y-yeah. That's right. It is."

Marina paused before speaking again, and then noticed Lartz's hand shaking slightly.

"Are you sure you're alright? You seem a little nervous."

Lartz could only sigh again.

"Yeah, I suppose I am kind of. I'm not going to lie to you. But as I said, nothing is really wrong."

"Huh, okay."

Lartz then sat on the bench next to Marina. Faline and Bryan watched with eagerness from behind a garden hedge. Faline soon giggled quietly in excitement while Bryan playfully shook his head at his wife.

"Marina..." Lartz began. "I wanted to...tell you something."

"Oh?" Marina wondered.

"Yeah... But I've been afraid to. I thought it was better not to say anything on the matter."

"Aw... I'm sorry. Why, though? I wouldn't ever want you to feel like that."

"I know. But I felt...we'd be better off that way. And I still think that could be true."

"I see... Yet you still want to tell me anyway? That’s real sweet of you."

"Heh... Well...I-I don't want to keep it bottled up anymore. It's...not helping anything."

"I can imagine..."

By this time, Lartz could feel his heart racing faster than a Pegasus at full speed.

"A-And...I believe you would understand the best."

"Oh, well, we are both Branded, huh? Does that have anything to do with it?"

"Er...sort of."

Lartz fiddled with his fingers before continuing. He shifted a little on the bench to face Marina better.

"See...the tru... The tru..." Lartz began, but found his nose twitching. A moment later, he let out a big sneeze, and he once more found his normally keen sense of balance failing him.

"WAAH!"

"Oh!" Marina gasped as Lartz crashed to the ground. She chuckled playfully afterward. Bryan found himself snorting behind his and Faline’s hedge until she playfully slapped him in the back.

"S-Sorry..." Lartz apologized as he returned to the bench, his face now red as some of the garden roses.

"Heh, don't worry, I'm sure pollen flies everywhere around here with all these flowers," Marina replied.

"Yeah, probably. Anyway..."

"Ah, yes. What were you saying before?"

"Right... Uh... See, the truth is..." Lartz continued again, scratching the back of his head. “The truth is... Well... Marina, I...I care a lot about you. I mean, I have for a while now, obviously..."

"Lartz..."

Lartz took a deep breath again before continuing.

"In fact, I care more than you might know," he said. "But I didn't think... I didn't think I deserved your heart."

Marina felt a light gasp escape her lips upon hearing this words.

"You really... You really mean that?"

"I mean every word," Lartz confirmed.

"Oh... Lartz...!" she uttered, a big smile forming on her features.

"Huh? Wha—?!"

Before Lartz could form another sentence, Marina suddenly leaned towards him and pressed her lips against his, her arms wrapping around his neck. As Lartz's eyes bulged, Faline could barely prevent herself from squealing with happiness. A huge grin crossed Bryan's face as he gave an approving nod.

Meanwhile, Lartz remained in complete shock for the next couple of moments. Yet, he also felt a surge of happiness like he'd never felt before, and finally gave into it when he slipped his hands around Marina's waist to pull her closer and return her embrace. She raised her legs and feet onto the bench afterward for a little more comfort.

By now, Faline shouted a quiet, yet squealing "Yes!" and turned to Bryan in excitement. He then high-fived his wife, both of them barely able to contain themselves.

"I knew it, Bryan, I knew it!" Faline whispered almost in another squeal.

"Yeah! And I guess we need to tell Leyon that he's not the only one that can successfully play cupid!"

"Oh yeah! Hoo hoo, you're right! He'll get a kick out of that!"

By this time, Lartz had forgotten that the king and queen were there. He was simply reveling in the joy he was feeling at the moment. When he and Marina finally slowly pulled away from each other, the shock from before painted itself on both of their faces, yet this was forgotten as a smile dawned on his features.

"Lartz, I love you too..." Marina uttered, her eyes looking a little glassy.

"You... You do?" Lartz replied.

"Yes! You're wonderful... You always seem to think of others before yourself, and you're very sweet. And you're handsome too. And of course...you're like me. We can have many years happy together, which is a rare thing for people like us."

Lartz's cheeks turned a rosy red.

"Heh..." he uttered.

"But...you've been afraid because of your power, haven't you?" Marina guessed.

Lartz paused for a second before responding.

"Yeah, you're right. I know I've managed to avoid hurting you with it so far, but I also worried about how it could affect you indirectly. I didn't want it to become a burden to you..."

"Lartz... I don't care about that. Like I just said, I love you. Your power won't be a burden at all. And even if it was, I'd be perfectly willing to help you carry it."

"Really? You...would?"

"Of course. Lartz, you don't deserve to deal with it alone. Not ever."

"I...wow... I really don't know what to say there. Thank you..."

"You're very welcome," Marina replied with a loving smile.

"But you, Marina..." Lartz continued. "Where there's been darkness much of my life...you brought sunshine. No one else has made me smile the way you do. Whether it's you or even your beauty. And of course, you've gone out of your way to help me control Accurse."

"Oh, Lartz..."

Lartz leaned over and picked up a rock from the edge of the flowerbed behind the bench. A couple moments later, he allowed a flaming red aura to envelop his body and his eyes to turn the same color. He then squeezed the rock with one hand until it shattered to small pieces. The aura vanished a split second later and his eyes became brown again.

"I still can't hold it on my own for more than a second or two, as you can see," Lartz said. "But it's progress. Thanks to people like you helping me."

"It is! And I've helped only out of love," Marina replied.

"So I can see."

A large smile had formed on Lartz's features.

"I still have a ways to go there," he said. "But we can worry about that another time."

"Yes... We certainly can," Marina agreed, their faces leaning towards one another again. They soon met for another deep kiss. And this time, they didn't let go for a very long time.

"Awww... Bryan, it's so romantic!" Faline commented, bringing her hands together. "I'm so happy for them!"

"Heh, it sure is," Bryan agreed. "And I'm happy too. Lartz has needed someone to care about him like that for a long time. He deserves this and more."

"Oh yes, I completely agree!"

"Say, hun, how about we bet on when Lartz will ask Marina to marry him now?"

"Ha, okay! If I win, we have to finally make love in the throne room!"

"What?! Are you crazy?! I already told you, my father would kill us!"

"And I keep saying he doesn't have to know! We'll go down there at night when everyone's asleep and lock the doors. And bring candles, of course. Oh, and we'll clean up if we need to when we're done."

"Faline, seriously... Aren't our bedchambers enough?"

"I just think the throne room would be fun! And I think it would be nice to not have to worry about staining the bed sheets for once."

"Ugh..."

"Hey, you wanted to bet!"

"You're right, I did. Fine then... If I win, you'll never ask me to do that again and the love-making will take place in the granary instead."

"...Are you serious? You're the one asking if the royal bedchambers aren't enough!"

"Think of it as a little payback for the throne room idea. Heh heh."

"Argh. Okay, you're on then!"

I should've described Lartz's appearance a bit more since we got details on Marina, but I'm still figuring out where that should go. My co-author is likely going to suggest some revisions anyway, knowing him. :P

Edited by Anacybele

• 10 months later...

I'm finally back here with a new snippet! This one ended up longer than the others, but hopefully it's still good. :) For this one, we're going back in time to when Bryan and Skye first joined the Talgrian army. Most notable, we see when Bryan began to change from the more innocent boy he once was into the man we see in DoD. We see why he's the best written character in all of DoD for sure (I'm trying to make Azura, the lord, just as well written though, believe me). We'll also see some cameos from a few other DoD characters!

New Recruits

“Whoa! Wooden soldier figures, practice and real weaponry, all these kinds of slingshot pellets, and even stuff for practical jokes and pranks! How come I never had any idea that your dad had all this awesome stuff, Bryan?” an excited teenage male voice exclaimed as he and a somewhat shorter boy with olive green hair browsed a general store.

The taller boy’s unruly bright blue hair, which extended down his neck and almost to his back, bounced around as his head turned in every direction to look at the merchandise. The store, which was probably about twice the size of the average house, contained all things imaginable in a generic shop, such as some clothes, cooking and cleaning supplies, home improvement tools, and more. Some wooden shelves were also lined with toys, games, and puzzles while others had outdoor supplies and weaponry. Another section had food as well, mainly bread, fruits, vegetables, and jars of soup.

The two boys had just passed by the toys and games to reach the outdoor supplies and weaponry. Nearby were also some display cases containing pottery, figurines made of wood and glass, and other decorations.

“It’s like I told you a long time ago, Skye! My dad sells anything he can here,” Bryan replied with a smile. “That’s why it’s a general store.”

“Yeah, but when I think general store, I usually just think of food and everyday supplies and stuff, not all this! How come you never thought of getting some of this prank stuff and using it on those jerk kids that picked on you? Those rubber snakes and tarantulas would make them pee themselves! And they might’ve left you alone even without me around afterward!”

Bryan hesitated for a moment at this, drumming his fingers together.

“Well…  I suppose I didn’t think it would make the problem any better,” he admitted, looking to the floor. “I mean, their parents already thought I was a troublemaker, and I’d become that for real if I pulled pranks, wouldn’t I?”

“Huh, maybe…” Skye conceded. “But I think it would be worth it. They deserve whatever punishment they would get after what they did to you, Bryan. After what they did to us that day at the Cold Maw!”

“Well… I can’t say you’re wrong on that one. I would love for them to be punished for that… That was the most horrible day of my life. I don’t…I don’t want to even talk about it!”

“I know, I know. Sorry about that. But anyway, you at least had fun with me when we’d shoot stuff at them with my slingshot, right?”

“Oh, yeah! That was a blast! And it did make them leave us alone! Well, mostly.”

“Exactly! Getting back to all this stuff in here though, some of it also looks really expensive and even rare, especially some of these weapons. I mean, I know Mr. Ryin down the road makes some of them, but he couldn’t have time to make them all, and a few aren’t ever made by him. Aren’t some of these silver swords and steel greatlances and powerful tomes and such?”

“You do have a point… I’ve always wondered where exactly Dad got some of his merchandise, but he never really wants to tell me outright,” Bryan admitted, perplexed. “All he ever says is that they’re imports, as in they might come from outside of the country.”

“Really? I wonder how he makes those deals then. He never seems to go anywhere. Well, anywhere far away, that is. And it can’t be as easy as just sending letters back and forth, can it?”

“I don’t know, that’s the confusing part… All I can say is that it’s as mysterious as my mother.”

“…Oh yeah,” Skye remembered. “Your dad still refuses to tell you anything about her?”

“Uh huh… I don’t understand why either. Maybe it’s not a happy story, but I feel like I only know half of my life, Skye. I don’t know what to do…”

“Man… I wish I could tell you,” Skye admitted. “But I know someday your dad will come clean about it. He can’t hide it from you forever. He’s your dad and you deserve to know.”

“Yeah, you’re right. It’s just…so hard to wait for that day.”

“I get that. In the meantime though, I’ll help the time go by as fast as possible!”

“Heh, thanks, Skye.”

“No problem!” Skye replied happily, giving Bryan a brotherly hug with a big smile on his face.

“Skye…you’ll be my best friend forever, right?” Bryan said after.

“Hey, of course!” Skye immediately obliged. “And you’ll be mine forever too.”

“Thanks!” Bryan happily replied. “So, what are you going to get? That discount card won’t get any use unless you shop, you know!”

“Heh, I know! And it’s gotta be the best birthday present you and your dad have ever given me! I mean, I can use this for as long as I have it!”

“Yep! And it was the least Dad and I could do after everything you’ve done for us. For me especially.”

A large grin crossed Bryan’s features as he said his words.

“Man, you’re too kind!” Skye replied bashfully. “As for what I’ll get though, I already know just the thing. Right there!”

Skye then pointed to some bows hanging on the wall among other weapons.

“My first bow!” he proclaimed. “You know how I love shooting things. A bow would be the perfect weapon for me to learn to use after all these years of firing a slingshot.”

“Oh, well, I guess. But why do you want to learn to use a bow?” Bryan wondered. “Isn’t the slingshot good enough?”

“The slingshot is cool, but nobody in the army uses one of those.”

Bryan blinked before responding.

“What? The army? You want to join the army?”

“Not just me! You should too! Now that I’m sixteen, we’re both finally old enough!”

This time, Bryan shook his head in astonishment.

“W-What?! But…I…I don’t know…”

“Bryan, really, it’d be perfect!” Skye insisted. “Your skills with a lance are already out of this world! The army could always use someone like you! And I know I can be a natural with a bow. We’ll fight for Talgria alongside each other all our lives! And you can show people that you’re not a crybaby wimp at all!”

“I guess…that does sound kind of neat… But…”

Skye sighed as he folded his arms.

“But you’re still afraid of hurting people. I get it.”

“Well… Yeah, sort of,” Bryan admitted, brushing the floor with his foot. “I love using my practice lance on trees and wooden dummies. But actually fighting against real people sounds scary. And I’d be hurting a lot of people if I’m fighting in the army. People that might have their own families and friends.”

“Yeah, you’re right. But that’s just how it is in war and the military. There will be casualties. But on the flipside, you’re protecting the weak and defenseless, you know. You’re making the country a safer place. And I know your skills and later my own can help with that! So come on, what do you say? I’m going to buy that bow no matter what, you know.”

“Hm… Well, we’d have to talk to my dad first. And he won’t let you buy just any bow. He’ll only let you get a practice weapon at your age and experience level. He has to have these kinds of restrictions for safety reasons.”

“Yeah, I know. I was only going to get one of the practice bows anyway. So let’s talk to your dad. He’s been waiting to open the store for us too. Remember, he said I get dibs as his first customer today since it’s my birthday!”

“Heh, yeah, I remember. My dad should still be in the back.”

The two boys made their way towards a wall in the back where a shelf with pillows and blankets had been moved aside a few feet. As they did so, however, Bryan walked rather slowly, a reluctant expression on his face looking to the floor. Skye soon pulled ahead, and then easily noticed his friend’s reluctance.

“Hey, Bryan, are you nervous?” he wondered. “Don’t worry, I’m sure your dad will let us join. My neighbors and Kye are already fine with me going too since I’ve mentioned the idea to them before.”

“I know, it’s not that…” Bryan admitted. “I just…I’m not sure if this is what I should do.”

“Well, I think it is. Think of it this way. Didn’t you always want to find a place to fit in? To really belong instead of being outcast and picked on all the time? This could be it! With your skills, lots of soldiers would appreciate you!”

“Yeah, I did, you’re right,” Bryan admitted. “I get what you mean, but the problem is, I’ve never actually tried to use my skills against a real person. I don’t really have combat experience. I just know a few lancing tricks.”

“A few? There’s the understatement of the day!” Skye countered. “You can do just about every trick in that one lancing book of yours! Sure, it was the basics and not super advanced stuff, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? And even then, you did manage to start learning a couple of the more advanced techniques anyway!”

“Yeah, I know. I didn’t mean it like that. I just think going against a real person is probably a lot different than hitting a dummy or jumping around all the time. That other person will be moving and trying to hit me too, you know. I wouldn’t really know much about what to do in that situation.”

“Well, you’re right about that, but that’s why we’ll have people teach us. I’m saying that you’re already off to a great start by having learned all those tricks beforehand. And like I said, this could be the biggest chance you get in finding a place where you can—”

Suddenly, Skye was interrupted by the back wall opening. In reality, it was a hidden door. In the doorway stood a lightly graying blue-haired man in bluish-green robes. A short beard graced his jaw and chin and he was carrying a ring with a pair of keys on it in his hand.

“Ah, I thought I heard you boys talking out here,” he said with a smile. Bryan had nearly jumped.

“Oh! Hey, Dad,” he greeted, his hands suddenly going behind his back.

“Mr. Owen!” Skye said excitedly. “We were just about to ask you something!”

“Ah, you’ve decided what you want to get? I can open up shop right away,” Owen replied with a smile.

“Oh, yeah, but there’s also something else,” Skye confirmed, and then turned to Bryan. “You tell him, Bryan!”

"H-Huh? Me? But it was your idea,” Bryan protested shakily.

“Yeah, but you ought to be the one to tell your dad.”

Skye smiled and gave his friend a little nudge.

“Sigh… Okay.”

“Oh? What’s up, Bryan?” Owen wondered.

“Well…Dad,” Bryan began with a gulp. “Skye and I are both sixteen now and…well, I’ll be seventeen in a few months, but we’re both at least sixteen, and…”

"Oh come on, get to the point already!" Skye interrupted anxiously.

“Whoa, okay, okay, sorry…” Bryan apologized. “A-Anyway, Dad, since we’re both sixteen, Skye and I thought we might…well, join the army.”

“Yeah!” Skye seconded. “And I want the first thing I use this discount card on to be a practice bow so I can learn to be an archer!”

At this, a bigger smile cracked Owen’s features.

“Ah, I see,” he replied. “But Bryan, why do you sound so nervous? I think it’s a fine idea, as long as you both follow the rules and do everything your instructors and superior officers tell you.”

“Well, Dad, I don’t…really want to fight people,” Bryan admitted. “But Skye thinks I could do well there because of my lancing skills and such.”

“No offense or anything, but yeah, I feel like Bryan could fit in better there than he has here,” Skye added. “So many kids here picked on him and treated him like garbage, but once soldiers saw what he could do with a lance, they’d have to respect him, right?”

“Well, you make a good point, Skye,” Owen agreed, brushing his chin with his hand in thought. “I do think Bryan has potential due to what you just said. There’s more to being a good soldier than just having skills with a weapon, though, and you both must remember that.”

“Ah, yeah, you’re right,” Skye remembered. “We will keep that in mind, right, Bryan?”

“Oh, yeah, of course,” Bryan agreed, though he still had reluctance in his voice. “If you think this is okay though, Dad, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try. I won’t know if I succeed if I don’t try anyway.”

“Exactly,” Owen replied. He then placed a hand on his son’s shoulders.

“Bryan, you and Skye will do fine, I just know it,” he continued. “I just want you two to promise me one thing.”

“Oh, anything, Mr. Owen! You’ve been so great,” Skye agreed.

“Good. All I want is for you both to remain safe. Battles are always dangerous, even if you’re just getting rid of some lowly bandits,” Owen said. “Don’t take any unnecessary risks or get too reckless. I know you would constantly be risking your lives regardless, but I don’t know what I would do if anything awful happened to either of you. Just be as safe as you possibly can.”

“Oh, you can count on that, Dad,” Bryan agreed. “I wouldn’t ever be so reckless.”

“I promise too,” Skye seconded. “You’re the closest thing I have to a family right now besides Kye. And speaking of which, I could also earn more money for him and I to live off of this way. Ever since our parents died, well…all we’ve been able to do is rely on you guys, our nice neighbors, and me doing some work for them every now and then. We’re lucky to have all of you.”

“Indeed you are, and I’m glad to help. You did show my son compassion and friendship,” Owen pointed out with a smile. “And I could do no less to thank you by helping you and your brother in return, Skye.”

“Heh, yeah,” Skye replied bashfully, bringing a hand to the back of his head. “Thanks!”

“Of course. Oh, and one last thing.”

“Yeah, Dad?” Bryan wondered.

“Always have each other’s backs,” Owen said with a wink.

“Oh, definitely!” Skye agreed. “Bryan and I will be a team and the best team the world’s ever seen! Right, Bryan?”

“Heh, maybe,” Bryan replied, managing a small smile.

“And hey, it’s okay to be nervous,” Owen added. “Just do your best!”

“Yeah, Bryan, and I’ll be with you every step of the way,” Skye added. “I’ve already done a little research on getting recruited and stuff, so I’ll help you out!”

“Oh, okay. I’ll try, Dad,” Bryan agreed. “And thanks, Skye. I would probably be totally lost otherwise. Heh.”

“Well, we have some preparations to make, then!” Owen said. “You’ll have to go to Aracion to begin the recruiting process. I’m afraid I can’t take you boys there myself though, as the shop needs someone to run it and I can’t just suddenly close it unexpectedly. It wouldn’t help the customers at all.”

“Oh, man, how are we going to get there then?” Skye wondered.

“Ah, don’t worry, I think I have an idea,” Owen replied. “Luckily for us, Ryin told me the other day that he has a delivery to make to Aracion tomorrow. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind letting you both come with him.”

“Oh, awesome!” Skye cheered. “Mr. Ryin is cool, I don’t think he would mind either. Can we talk to him later?”

“Sure!” Owen agreed happily. “It’s all settled then. Let’s get you your practice bow, Skye, and you and Bryan can go outside to the back yard to practice. We’ll have to wait until I can close the shop later to help you pack. I have suitcases you two can borrow.”

“Alright!” Skye cheered. “Isn’t this exciting, Bryan?”

“Heh, yeah, I guess it kind of is!” Bryan replied with a smile.

With that, Owen closed the hidden door, moved the pillow and blanket shelf in front of it, and went to the front of the shop. He switched the sign hanging in the window on the right from the side that said “closed” to the side that said “open” and unlocked the main door. He then went to the weaponry to help Skye choose a bow. Skye had brought some money he’d saved up from working for his neighbors. With the discount card, he had just over enough to buy the practice bow and the quiver with six arrows that came with it. He had been saving his money for months in order to be able to get them since he knew his sixteenth birthday wasn’t too far away.

After paying Owen for the bow at the counter and Skye receiving more happy birthday wishes, Bryan and Skye immediately raced outside in back of the building to where Bryan normally practiced with his lance. The wooden lance was sitting upright near the stairs to the upper floor where Owen and Bryan lived while a beat-up wooden dummy stood near a tree. Bryan suggested they grab parchment to make a target for Skye to use as practice. They would nail it to the tree for him to fire at. They went up the stairs to the building’s second floor and took a sheet of parchment from Owen’s supplies and a quill and ink. Skye drew a large circle and then a few circles inside of it to become a round bullseye target. He inked in the center circle and another circle to differentiate each section of the target.

After grabbing a hammer and nail from Owen’s tools, the boys hurried back outside. While Skye fidgeted with his new bow to see if he could successfully nock an arrow on it, Bryan nailed the target to the tree.

“Okay, that should do it!” he said. “You can start firing, Skye!”

“Awesome, thanks!” Skye replied. “I actually already started reading a little bit on archery the other day, so I think I can at least shoot, even if I don’t hit the target.”

“Oh, cool! Let’s see how you do on your first shot then!” Bryan replied with a smile.

“Right! I believe you nock the arrow like this and…”

Skye carefully held the arrow against the bowstring and aimed at the target as best as he could. He closed one eye as he focused on it, and the arrow began to wobble slightly. Skye held it as steady as he could, and let it go a moment later. The arrow descended to hit the lower side of the target, just inside the largest circle.

“You hit it!” Bryan cheered. “It wasn’t all that close to the center, but it’s not a bad start!”

“Heh, yeah,” Skye agreed. “Looks like it’ll take some work to shoot far enough. To shoot farther, I know you have to pull the string back further, but it’s not always easy to know just how far.”

“I see. Well, you’ll get there! I’ll practice a little bit for our journey too.”

For the next few hours, the two continued training with their respective weapons, with Skye working mostly on successfully shooting arrows before moving on to his aim and Bryan practicing the few advanced lancing techniques he’d begun to learn. Even though part of the young lancer did like Skye’s idea of joining the army as an attempt to find a place to fit in, Bryan was still reluctant to actually do any real fighting. Showing his lancing skills to others definitely sounded appealing, but he shuddered at the image of seriously hurting or killing an enemy and possibly dirtying his armor or clothes with his victim’s blood. How could he stomach that or not feel guilty about taking the life of someone else’s spouse or sibling or friend or something else they might be to other people?

If my target is a terrible person, I suppose they would deserve it… Bryan thought. But how will I know which are good people and which aren’t? Maybe I can find a way as I learn in Aracion…

When early afternoon rolled around, Bryan and Skye found themselves getting hungry and decided it was time for lunch.

“Say, Bryan, why don’t we go to a cafe in town this time?” Skye suggested. “It’s still my birthday and we could get some supplies for our trip while we’re at it. We’ll probably need some new boots and more battle-friendly clothes and stuff.”

“Well, I suppose, but we don’t have that much money,” Bryan pointed out. “How would we pay for it all? My dad is too busy to go with us right now.”

“Too busy? Come on now, I know he takes lunch breaks,” Skye wondered. “I mean, I don’t really want to keep relying on him for all of this, I’m just saying I know I’ve seen him take breaks.”

“Oh, yeah, of course he does. But he doesn’t spend that much time away.”

“Well, at the very least, we should go see if he has any ideas. We at least have to have proper battle tunics.”

“Yeah, that’s true.”

The two then went back into the store and approached Owen’s counter. Owen cracked a smile when the two asked about how they could get necessary supplies for their trip.

“Ah, don’t worry too much about that,” he replied. “The barracks in Aracion will provide some of them for you, and I was going to help you get the rest later. It is true that you’ll have to get tunics and boots on your own. And another thing, Skye, one of your neighbors was here not too long ago and offered to come along. She said Kye wants to go as well.”

“Ugh, the annoying brat wants to go?” Skye moaned. “Well, I guess I’d be mean not to let him. Alright then.”

“Heh, I know your brother likes to irritate you sometimes,” Owen admitted with a chuckle. “But I think that’s his own way of telling you how much he loves you.”

“Funny way of showing it then,” Skye uttered. “But anyway, I’d also love to go get lunch with Bryan in town while my birthday is still going on. Problem is, neither of us have enough for two meals.”

“Hey, I don’t see why I can’t treat the birthday boy and his friend to a nice café lunch,” Owen replied, a large grin crossing his features. “Here, take this gold and have a good meal!”

He then held out a handful of gold coins to the two boys.

“What? Really, Mr. Owen? I’m not sure about this. I feel like I might be taking advantage of your kindness at this point!” Skye said, his eyes widening.

“No, don’t worry, you’re not doing that. Like we both just mentioned, it is your birthday, so it’s just another gift!” Owen pointed out. “So happy birthday!”

“Heh, true. Well, thanks a lot then!”

“Yeah, thanks, Dad! I promise we won’t be gone long,” Bryan added happily.

“My pleasure, boys! Have a good time!”

With that, the two hurriedly left the store and headed down the road.

“How about that steak and rib house a couple blocks down? I’ve been dying to try the rack of ribs that they soak in honey and all kinds of seasonings!” Skye said, brushing his hands together.

“Oh, that sounds fine!” Bryan agreed happily. “My dad and I have been there before, it’s pretty good!”

“Really? Man, you’re lucky. I almost never get to do this stuff because my parents were so busy, and then they died…” Skye remembered somberly. “Ever since, it’s just been me and Kye in that house, you know. The neighbors watch over us, and I did my best to take care of Kye and the place too, but…yeah.”

“Yeah, that was always rough, wasn’t it? You two deserve better,” Bryan agreed. “I really hope the army helps you both.”

“Me too. Well, last one to the café’s a rotten soldier!”

“Hey!” Bryan retorted playfully as Skye took off. The two happily raced around the next block in an attempt to beat each other. Skye’s longer legs helped him stay just ahead of Bryan, but the olive-haired boy wasn’t going to get far behind. Suddenly, however, just as they were about to turn a second corner, a blonde girl in a pink dress came walking from the other side, right into their paths.

“AAAH! LOOK OUT!” Skye shouted, not noticing until a moment later.

“WHOA!” Bryan cried right after.

Skye desperately tried to slow down in time, but wound up narrowly missing the girl as she stepped aside and he went vaulting to the ground. Bryan crashed into him from behind.

“Agh!” Skye yelped.

“Owww…” Bryan uttered.

“What the—?! Oh, you two,” the girl said as the two boys, slightly dazed, returned to their feet.

“Huh?” Skye replied confusedly, and then finally recognized who he and Bryan very nearly smashed into. “Misty!”

“Oh, hey,” Bryan greeted, though rather reluctantly.

“Aren’t you two a little old to be running around like that?” Misty said with a giggle.

“We were just having fun…” Bryan protested, twiddling his fingers again. “It’s Skye’s birthday and all, so…”

“Yeah, I’m sixteen today, and I don’t want you ruining it!” Skye retorted.

“Oh? Well, that’s nice! I suppose I should say happy birthday then,” Misty replied. “I won’t try to ruin it, don’t worry. Honest, I won’t.”

“Thanks. And I hope you won’t,” Skye replied, though he still wasn’t friendly with his tone.

“Sorry for almost hitting you, by the way,” Bryan said. “We should’ve paid more attention.”

“Pff, yeah, I’ll say,” Misty agreed. “It’s fine, though, no harm done…except to you two, maybe. Heh heh.”

“Shut up,” Skye shot again. “We’re not hurt.”

“Huh, I’m surprised Bryan isn’t crying because he skinned his knee or something. Hee hee.”

“Stop it! I haven’t done that since I was ten! And you know it!” Bryan protested with a sniffle. “Also, Skye will not like you making fun of me right now! So you better leave us alone!”

“Yeah, I thought you said you weren’t going to mess up my birthday for me!” Skye added angrily.

“And there you go again, always hiding behind Skye or your dad,” Misty countered. “You need to grow a backbone, Bryan. You’ll always be a wimp to some people if you don’t start stepping up for yourself.”

“I’m not a wimp! For your information, we’re going to join the army!”

At this, Misty blinked in surprise.

"You two? In the army? Hahaha! That’s pretty funny,” she chuckled. “Well, Skye might be able to pass for something there, but you, Bryan? That’s just hilarious! You cry and hide too much! You need toughness to be a soldier!”

“And we both have that!” Skye snapped, his face turning red. “I’m going to be an expert archer and Bryan already has skills with a lance like nobody here has ever seen!”

“Oh, really? Bryan, pick up and use a weapon? You must be joking. He never even wants to hurt a fly!”

“Ugh, if you had your practice lance right now, Bryan, you would show her what you can do, wouldn’t you?”

“Oh, well, I guess I could. Too bad I always leave it at home,” Bryan realized. “But it is true, I do practice with a lance and I don’t like to hurt people. I just like the practice. Skye thinks I could do well in the army though, and I decided I’m going to give it a try. I’ll admit I’m not very confident about it, but I’m still going to do it.”

“Heh, well, good luck with that then, I suppose,” Misty continued in a sarcastic tone. “See ya.”

With that, she strutted off proudly. Bryan looked to the ground with a sigh, his eyes growing glassy. It didn’t take long for Skye to notice.

“Bryan, what’s wrong? You’re not letting what she said get to you, are you? We’re going to be great in the army!” he said.

“It’s not really that…” Bryan replied, sniffling again. “We could be good in the army if we wanted to, I’m sure about that. Misty doesn’t know anything there. But she is right about one thing. I do cower behind you and Dad too much!”

He then dropped to the ground, burying his face in his hands.

“Bryan, come on, you’re not going to cry now, are you? It’s my birthday, and Misty is still wrong to bully you like that.”

“But you do have to be tough to be a good soldier! The soldiers don’t hide behind others to get the job done, they go out and fight,” Bryan pointed out through his sniffles. “I didn’t really realize it before, but I have relied on you and my dad to stand up for me a lot in the past… I have to start doing that myself if I’m to get anywhere in the army.”

“Well, hey, I think that’s okay!” Skye replied, kneeling to his friend’s level. “Maybe we do stick up for you a lot of the time, but your dad and I will always do that when we can. It doesn’t make you weak or a coward. It just means you have people who care. You can still get out and fight alongside other soldiers while your friends and family help you out of a jam like this.”

“Well…are you sure?” Bryan wondered, unburying his face.

“Of course! Just trust me and stop crying.”

“Hm, alright then. I hope you’re right.”

“I know I am. Now let’s forget Misty and go eat.”

“Right.”

The rest of the afternoon went by without any more trouble as the two boys returned to Owen’s shop after lunch and continued practicing for their recruitment into the army. Bryan’s nervousness still never went away completely, but he knew Skye really wanted to go through with it and the aspiring archer believed in Bryan’s skills. Skye would be very upset if the would-be lancer decided to back out at the last minute. Skye’s counting on me, Bryan thought as he twirled his practice lance and struck the wooden dummy with a jump attack. And even though actually fighting real people still scares me, the idea of Skye and I being a team out there on a battlefield does sound pretty cool.

Indeed, if the two used their respective skills right, Bryan figured they could eventually be very tough to beat. Skye would be able to fire at enemies from a distance that Bryan couldn’t reach while Bryan focused on the foes up close that Skye was more vulnerable to. And just as Owen had told them, they would always have each other’s backs. They had a bond of trust stemming from their childhood years before, which was something not a lot of other people had. And if Bryan recalled right, Owen had mentioned once that even such bonds could influence one’s performance in just about anything so long as the bonded friends always supported one another.

Yeah, Dad’s right about that! Bryan realized. Already I feel like Skye’s presence gives me more strength. And I bet mine gives him some too!

“Hey, boys! It’s time to start preparing for your journey!” Owen’s voice interrupted Bryan’s thoughts moments later. “I just closed the store for the day!”

Bryan looked to the sky and saw that the sun was setting. He had been having such a good time practicing that he never noticed how fast it went. Skye apparently felt the same.

“Wow, time sure does fly,” he said. “Can we go to my house first after we’re through with the shopping though? We might end up traveling there in the dark otherwise.”

“Ah, good idea,” Owen agreed. “I’ve already grabbed two suitcases for you, all we have to do is buy the necessary supplies and pack them away.”

“Great!” Bryan replied, setting his practice lance aside. “Can’t wait to see what we get!”

“Well, you’re a little more enthusiastic, Bryan,” Owen noticed with a smile. “I’m pleased to see you’re happier!”

“Heh, yeah, the idea of fighting together side by side with Skye has slowly gotten more appealing,” Bryan said, returning the gesture. “I might be able to do this with his support and friendship.”

“That’s what I’m talking about!” Skye replied, giving Bryan a friendly pat on the shoulder. “I think that even without me you could go far in the army, but I’ll definitely always be there with you.”

“Aw, thanks, Skye!”

“No problem, buddy!”

“Well, we ought to hurry,” Owen spoke up. “Other stores will be closing soon as well. I actually closed a little early to make this trip possible, so let’s get going.”

Both boys obliged and followed Owen to the front of the store. They traveled a few blocks until they rendezvoused with the neighbor of Skye’s that wished to join them. Skye’s brother, Kye, was there as well. He instantly gave his big brother a tight hug, shouting how excited he was for him to fight in Talgria’s name. Skye rolled his eyes, yet still thanked him.

The first place the group stopped at was a clothing store that sold tunics. Skye’s neighbor, whose name was Dora, did a little of her own browsing as well as giving Skye any assistance that she could. She’d been looking out for the two brothers ever since their parents died, and often voiced that even though the parents were friends, they neglected the boys way too much. Sometimes she even doted on them like an overly sweet grandmother or that one aunt that showered her nieces and nephews with gifts. This was likely due to never having been able to produce her own child. For some reason, even though she and her husband, Dale, had tried, they could never conceive, and now she was getting too old.

“Really, Miss Dora, I’ll be fine…” Skye voiced for what felt like the millionth time when she asked him if he’d be alright. “Just…please look out for Kye whenever you can while I’m away. I’ll send back any money I can to him, but…”

“I know, I’m just concerned is all,” Dora replied. “This must be what it’s like for an actual mother to say goodbye to her child. You and Kye always were the closest things I had to children, you know…”

“Yeah, I know. And thanks. I just hope Kye will be alright when you can’t be there. I know you have your own life too, especially with Mr. Dale getting up there in years now, which means you’ll be taking care of him a lot…”

“I’ll be okay!” Kye insisted. “I’m old enough to take care of myself! Watch me, bro!”

“Well, just don’t do anything stupid, you hear me?”

“I know, I know, I won’t!”

“You sure about that?”

“Oh come on, you know I am!”

Dora chuckled.

“I’ll do what I can,” she offered with a smile.

Owen and Bryan were also amused by the brothers’ light bicker and chuckled.

“Well, I think I’ve picked my tunic!” Bryan announced, holding up a bluish green tunic. “Green by itself is my favorite color, but this color is nice too! Besides, I’d rather save the actual green for my armor.”

“Hey, that works!” Skye complimented. “Your hair and eyes are already shades of green anyway! I think I’ll go with this one. It’s actually almost the same color as your hair, how about that?”

“Heh, you’re right!” Bryan replied with a smile when Skye showed an olive green tunic of a slightly darker shade than Bryan’s hair.

“Alright, let’s get some boots and then we can pack your things,” Owen spoke up.

The boys nodded and the group finished their shopping trip. Neither Bryan nor Skye had to be as picky about boots as they had tunics, so that went quickly. Bryan had to get a pair that was about two sizes smaller than Skye since he was shorter and thus had smaller feet, but it was no trouble, and the two were ready to go to Skye’s house to get his things in no time.

Skye sighed as the group walked inside the place. And Bryan couldn’t blame him. The house had a big, empty feeling, as if something significant was missing from it. Kye could sense it too, naturally. It was a difficult place for the brothers to live without their parents around. Skye’s parents had been assassins, and were killed on the job several years before. They hadn’t necessarily been bad people, as they only worked for those who had good intentions and sought to bring down actual villains, but they weren’t the most responsible or careful. And it resulted in them leaving their two boys as orphans.

“I’ll sure be glad to get away from here,” Skye said. “I hate to leave you behind, Kye, but…”

“I know, bro,” Kye replied. “You gotta do what you gotta do.”

“Right. You make sure you’re always where Miss Dora can find you, though, got that?”

"Yeah, I will.”

“It hasn’t ever been easy being in this place by yourselves, huh?” Bryan spoke up.

“Tell me about it,” Skye said. “It’s dirty because we stink at cleaning, we don’t have much food other than what I can get from neighbors or money I’ve managed to scramble together… I can’t believe our parents did this to us!”

“I hear you, bro. I hate them for it!” Kye said, almost in a scream. “They didn’t even have much money left when they died! If I could, I’d spit on their graves!”

“Hey now, I’m sure their hearts were in the right places, Kye,” Owen suggested. “They were indeed irresponsible and reckless, though, I won’t deny that. And I’m ever so sorry about what they’ve put you through. It couldn’t have ever been easy.”

“Yeah, well, there’s a reason we don’t let anyone call us Skyler or Kyle anymore, Mr. Owen,” Skye pointed out. “The names remind us too much of them. You and Bryan, and of course our neighbors were all we had to keep going. Especially you, Bryan. If I hadn’t helped you that day years ago…I’d be as lonely and miserable as you had been. It’s practically fate that we found one another.”

“I bet,” Bryan agreed. “And I think you’re right. You helped me keep going after all I’ve suffered from being bullied and tortured and treated like trash by other kids. Dad’s been there too, but I really needed a friend. And you came. We’ll stick together forever, right?”

“Heh, yeah! Nothing will pull us apart,” Skye seconded. “We’ll join the army and fight side by side until we’re too old and then spend the rest of our lives remembering it fondly!”

“Yeah! Maybe we can be roommates for life too!”

“Ha, that’d be sweet! And no, Kye, you can’t join us!”

“Pff, like I would’ve asked anyway!” Kye grumbled, folding his arms.

Owen didn’t say anything, only focusing his gaze to nothing in particular and donning an expression that seemed rather…distant. Bryan soon noticed, and could swear that his father was almost frowning.

“Dad, what’s the matter?” he wondered. “Wouldn’t you like it if Skye and I got to be roommates in a barracks or something like that?”

“…Hm?” Owen spoke up. “Oh, yes, that would be really nice for you two, without a doubt. Sorry, I just had some thoughts cross my mind and I wasn’t paying much attention. Don’t worry about it, it’s nothing to do with you two.”

Well, that’s only half the truth… Owen admitted to himself. Oh, Bryan, I hope you can forgive me when you learn the rest of it…

“Oh, well, let’s help Skye pack. Can he stay with us tonight so we don’t have to pick him up in the morning?” Bryan continued. “We can get an earlier start that way!”

“Ah, sure,” Owen agreed. “We still have to let Mr. Ryin know of our plans beforehand though.”

“Oh, awesome!” Skye cheered. “Thanks, Mr. Owen!”

“Of course,” Owen replied with a smile.

Skye unsurprisingly didn’t have much, so he took a short time to pack. All he put in his borrowed suitcase was a few old shirts and pairs of pants, some of which he was surely outgrowing due to their fairly small sizes, and his new supplies. He decided not to take his slingshot so Kye had something to defend himself with if he needed, even if he didn’t have much experience with the weapon.

Ryin didn’t need any convincing to let the boys hitch a ride with him either. He hadn’t thought much of Bryan at first, wondering if he was too kind and innocent for his own good. Bryan mistook some of his words as him saying basically the same belittling things other people did about him, and they didn’t get along too well for a time. However, Ryin was good friends with Owen as well as a trusted shop client, and in time, the blacksmith began seeing more of Bryan’s qualities. And now the young would-be lancer had his confidence growing as shown by his eager expression. Ryin was still concerned due to Bryan being smaller than most soldiers he knew, but had no reason not to believe that he had a good start on his skills with a lance.

The boys could hardly sleep that night either, they were excited for their trip. Bryan’s initial hesitation and nervousness were all but gone as well, though he did still worry that some of the soldiers would treat him the same way local kids had. Ryin was still right about one thing. Bryan didn’t really look much like a soldier. He was indeed shorter than a lot of other boys his age that he knew, his face looked a little more youthful, and he didn’t have much muscle. However, he knew training would help him grow stronger physically, and Owen had told him that size wasn’t everything. And sometimes, he said, one’s looks can be an advantage rather than a liability. Bryan could throw enemies off guard with his innocence and take them by surprise. Skye even agreed with this and said it would be hilarious too.

The next morning, both boys practically wolfed down their breakfast and rushed Owen outside to get their journey started. Talgria’s capital, Aracion, was past the mountain range in which the group’s own town of Narcoss stood, and around a day and a half away after that. Bryan and Skye made sure to bring a couple of games they liked playing together to pass the time. They also brought two special possessions that each had given the other as a sign of their friendship. Bryan had a book he read many times over that had been a birthday present from Skye, and the story actually featured two boys not unlike Bryan and Skye themselves in their close friendship and age. One boy even became an archer just like Skye always wanted. Skye had an old drawing Bryan had made of the two not long after they had first met. Since Bryan was no artist, the two looked something akin to stick figures and the coloring was a little sloppy, but Skye treasured it more than anything. Bryan was surprised he’d been able to keep it safe all that time. Skye merely said there wasn’t much that could endanger it in that empty house he lived in, which was a good point. Although since he was now going away, he put it in a small box he had found among his parents’ belongings for safe keeping.

“Alright, we’re going to travel slowly at first so we reach the foot of the mountains safely,” Ryin said when his wagon was finished being prepared. “It can be dangerous traveling them and we don’t want to end up bringing you both to the capital with injuries.”

“Right,” Bryan agreed. “Thank you for your help, Mr. Ryin!”

“Yeah, we really appreciate it!” Skye added.

“Of course, boys!” Ryin obliged with a big grin. “Oh, and thank you again for helping to load the wagon. We’ve saved some time thanks to you both!”

“Oh, no problem!” Bryan said happily.

Before getting into the wagon, Bryan and Skye said goodbye to Owen. Bryan gave his father a tight hug.

“I’ll miss you, Dad. But I’ll make you proud!” Bryan promised.

“I know you will,” Owen said with a smile. “Good luck to you both.”

“Thanks, Mr. Owen,” Skye added when Owen gave both boys pats on the shoulders.

And with that, the journey began, starting with both boys waving goodbye from the wagon.

Getting through the mountains seemed to be the longest and hardest leg of the trip just as Ryin had said. They still hadn’t reached the foot even after Bryan and Skye had played a few rounds of both of the games they brought. After that, all they could do was look at the weaponry they had helped Ryin load inside the wagon. He was delivering quite a few high-quality weapons, including swords with thick blades, short and steel axes, greatlances, and even a few silver weapons. Bryan and Skye suspected that only the highest ranked knights and soldiers could afford to buy the most expensive ones. They had to have plenty of experience to be permitted to wield them anyway. Bryan mentioned there was another type of weapon that Ryin didn’t make, that only the best smiths in the entire continent of Altarais could make and sell.

“But I thought Mr. Ryin was a top blacksmith!” Skye said, his jaw dropping.

“I would think so, but he hasn’t gotten permission to make the rare brave weapons yet,” Bryan replied. “Brave weapons are very powerful and made of the strongest and highest quality material. I know because I read about them in one of my books. I only saw a picture of the Brave Lance for obvious reasons, but it looked spectacular. It has a sharp, forked blade painted in silvery blue. If I could wield one of those one day, that’d be amazing.”

“Wow, you’re probably not far from being skilled enough, I would say!” Skye complimented.

“Oh, I don’t know about that… The only people who ever get to wield brave weapons are generals and other high ranked military leaders or highly experienced royals. I’ll definitely never be any of those. I’m just a lancer. I know nothing about leadership.”

“Hey, you never know if you don’t try,” Skye pointed out. “And besides, who says you actually need to be one of those? Knowing your skills already, you can do it without some silly title!”

“Heh, maybe. I’ll just have to see how far I can go,” Bryan replied with a smile.

“Say, there’s also a Brave Bow, right?” Skye wondered.

“I can’t say for sure, but probably. Fletchers would make those though.”

“I know, I’m just asking. But maybe I’ll get to wield one someday too!”

“One can hope!”

Bryan and Skye talked as much as they could until they felt like playing a game again, and before they knew it, the wagon exited the mountain range. By this time, however, the sun had disappeared below the horizon and it was nightfall. Ryin brought the wagon and his horse to the roadside to stop for the evening. After giving the horse some food and water, he joined the boys inside the wagon so they could rest.

It seemed like the next day wouldn’t come fast enough since the boys were too excited to fall asleep quickly. Although at this point, Bryan wasn’t sure which he was feeling more out of excitement or nervousness. He was excited at the idea of possibly meeting more people who would respect him rather than belittle him, but he was still afraid of the same old occurring as well. Both Owen and Skye had told him that being negative would never get him anywhere, however. So he did his best to hope for the best.

The trio got an early start so they could arrive in Aracion as soon as possible. And not long after leaving the foot of the mountains, the capital’s walls and buildings could be seen in the distance, with Castle Talgria towering above them. Its silvery stone walls shown in the sunlight and its high, blue roofed towers watched all below them.

“Boys, welcome to Aracion!” Ryin said with a smile.

“Wow…” both Bryan and Skye said at the same time, their eyes widening as they took in the view before them.

“Amazing!” Bryan continued. “This is the first time I’ve seen a real city!”

“Same here,” Skye added. “We’re going to be here for a while too! We need to take in some sights during our free time, Bryan!”

“Yeah! And I should send my dad a souvenir. But we have to focus on our priorities.”

“I know, we’ll definitely do that first.”

“Remember to be on your best behavior here though,” Ryin put in. “You’ll be in the presence of many soldiers, some professional, and maybe even some nobles. Why, on some occasions, soldiers even report directly to the king himself.”

“Wow, really?” Skye wondered.

“Yep. I’ve learned a lot about this from delivering weapons for them. King Wencelis is a good and just king, if not a little gloomy at times, from what I hear. I can’t say for certain why this is, but there have been rumors.”

“Whoa, no kidding? Rumors about the king of all people?”

“Yeah, but I can’t really discuss it. It’s not appropriate.”

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t ask anyway. If he’s not really a happy person, something awful might’ve happened in his past. Believe me, I should know…” Bryan pointed out, hinting at all the torture he’d endured from bullying.

“True that,” Skye agreed.

“Well, thankfully, His Majesty is also fairly lenient,” Ryin continued. “I don’t think you’ll be meeting him today or anytime soon, to be honest, but just remember this for the future.”

“Sure thing, Mr. Ryin,” Bryan replied. Skye also obliged.

“Now, I’ll drop you two off at the castle barracks. Go inside and ask for a recruiting officer and that should get you started.”

“Alright, thanks!” Skye said.

With that, they entered the vast city through the nearest gate. Bryan and Skye looked around in awe as they marveled at the amazing sights before them. Many busy vendors, shops, cafes, restaurants, and more populated the streets as hundreds of people walked and rode through them. Some flags bearing the yellowish orange Talgria royal crest flew above the widest roads. Some soldiers garbed in similarly colored armor also patrolled the streets to maintain order. Many of them carried lances, but none seemed to be archers. This made Bryan frown, wondering if he and Skye would be separated due to their respective weapon choices.

Bryan supposed it would be safest to simply patrol rather than fight in war battles, but what about Skye? Would he be sent off to fight while Bryan had to stay behind and worry? The two had never really been apart at all since they’d met. Suddenly being separated might not be something they could deal with too well. However, Skye soon noticed Bryan's nervousness in his expression.

“Hey man, don’t worry,” he said, bringing a hand to his friend’s shoulder. “I’m not going to let them separate us. At least not for long. I doubt every infantry lancer is sent to just walk around all the time anyway. Some surely are sent to do battle once in a while.”

“That’s true,” Ryin confirmed. “You might start out doing patrol or another easy task since you’ll be new recruits, but you can move up in the ranks when you have enough experience.”

“And you know what I would say to that, Bryan,” Skye added with a wink.

“Yeah, I know, I have the skills for it,” Bryan guessed with a chuckle. “Thanks.”

It took around another half an hour to reach the castle barracks, which was just inside of the castle’s outer walls. Ryin identified himself to the guard at the gate and produced a scroll which was the order he was delivering. He also mentioned Bryan and Skye as would-be new recruits in the army. They were permitted entry and entered the castle grounds.

Inside, even more soldiers were on patrol, two of which stood in front of what was definitely the barracks. Above the door wove a banner depicting a shield with a sword standing behind it. Ryin brought the wagon to a halt in front of the fairly large stone building. Bryan and Skye immediately grabbed their suitcases and hopped out.

“Pardon me, sirs,” Ryin greeted. “These two boys are looking to be new recruits.”

“Yeah, I’m training with a bow, and my friend here uses a lance!” Skye spoke up eagerly.

“That’s right,” Bryan seconded, though with a hint of nervousness in his voice.

The two soldiers both raised an eyebrow and gave Bryan a look that both he and Skye could swear had a hint of surprise.

“Hm, alright. Go inside, a recruiting officer will be here shortly,” one of them replied.

Bryan and Skye obliged and bid Ryin goodbye. Ryin wished them the best of luck in return.

Inside, the only people present were a trio of who appeared to be normal soldiers. One was another infantry lancer, who very nearly towered over Bryan, but didn’t appear to be much older otherwise. Another was a simple swordsman while the third was a bulkier man who looked older than the other two. He was in the armor of a heavy infantry knight. Bryan and Skye approached them, though the former shuddered slightly. There was something about the tall lancer that just rubbed him the wrong way, yet he couldn’t put a finger on it.

“Excuse us, but do you know when we’ll be able to see a recruiting officer?” Skye inquired.

“Y-Yeah, we’re looking to join up,” Bryan added a bit shakily.

When the trio saw Bryan, who was still shorter than all of them and trying, but failing to not look nervous, their reactions were pretty mixed. The heavy knight’s eyebrows rose, though it seemed to be more in concern than confusion or surprise. The swordsman gave the same gesture as the guards outside, as if to say “is this kid serious?” while the lancer looked about ready to laugh.

“Heh, sorry, kid, but I think you’re in the wrong place,” he said with a punchy smile. “This building is for recruiting soldiers. The toy and flower shops are down the road.”

“Yeah, the military is tough work and I’m afraid it’s probably too tough for the likes of you,” the swordsman added. The heavy knight didn’t say anything, yet he looked more surprised than anything at what his comrades had just said.

It took Bryan all of his willpower not to let his eyes well up with angry tears. Skye was so shocked at what he’d just heard that it only took a second for his expression to turn feral.

“HEY! We’re serious, punk!” he snapped. “And if you dare talk to my friend like that again, I’ll be sure to make you my bow’s first target!”

At this, the lancer paused for a moment.

“Ooh, this one’s got spunk,” he said. “I like that. You’ll surely do alright here. Why you’re with this shrimp, though, I can’t figure out. He doesn’t look fit to be a true warrior at all in that small, skinny body.”

“He’s my best friend!” Skye shot back. “I’m not abandoning him! And for your information, this “kid” is probably a better lancer already than you’ll ever be!”

This time, the lancer really did burst into laughter, and he nearly fell right to the floor in the process.

“Alright, was that necessary, Rupert?” the heavy knight finally spoke up. “You could at least give the boy a chance.”

“Shut up, Morris,” Rupert replied when he let his laughter die down a moment later.

“But… I do want to join the army,” Bryan said, though not exactly in an enthusiastic tone. “And I-I have been practicing with a lance for a while.”

“Oh really?” Rupert retorted sarcastically. “Well then…”

A grin with a hint of deviousness crossed his features.

“Thing is, there’s also a test you must pass,” he continued, hovering over Bryan.

“Oh, there is?” Bryan replied.

“Yeah. Follow me, kid. It’s better to show you than to just say it.”

Rupert uttered a light chuckle under his breath as he led Bryan and Skye down a hall. Skye glared at him, not wanting to trust this imbecile for a second. Clearly he was taking advantage of Bryan’s innocence and honesty and he wouldn’t stand for it. Yet, Skye also didn’t want to cause more trouble than needed, and merely kept a close eye on Rupert and his swordsman friend for the time being.

Minutes later, the group entered a sizeable room with an open area in the middle. It was a sparring arena.

“See that? It’s a sparring arena,” Rupert spoke up again. “You have to face a top rookie recruit such as myself right here…and win.”

“Wait, what?!” Skye stepped in again. “That can’t be right! It wouldn’t be fair! Even if Bryan has had a good start, he’s still new and hasn’t fought an actual person before!”

“Rupert, are you serious?” Morris added. “You know very well that’s not—!”

“I said be quiet, Morris!” Rupert snapped and then returned his attention to Bryan and Skye. “But isn’t that a shame? We told you this is tough work.”

“Yeah, and you want to prove that you have what it takes to be a soldier, don’t ya?” the swordsman added.

“I do…” Bryan replied with a sniffle. “But I think Skye has a point, you know. Even if I am good enough to actually do what you’re saying, it doesn’t sound fair to other people trying to join.”

“Well, that’s how things are around here, kid. Are you just scared that you really can’t do it? Why don’t you just go home to mommy and daddy?”

Rupert and the swordsman chuckled deviously. No one noticed, but Morris had disappeared right at that moment. It took all of Skye’s energy and strength to keep himself from beating Rupert senseless. Meanwhile, Bryan felt his eyes grow glassier and his nose harder to keep from running. He hadn’t come to this place just to get a repeat of what he’d faced in Narcoss.

“Shut your damn mouths!” Skye exploded. “Bryan came here from a town whose kids all shunned and belittled him! He didn’t come here to get more of that! He’s fit to be a great soldier and if you say one more insulting word about him, I SWEAR I’LL GET NASTY!!”

“Heh, watch it, you don’t want to get in trouble with the superior officers,” Rupert warned with a grin. “Beating each other up like that is definitely against the rules.”

“So should harassment!” Skye pointed out.

Bryan did his best to wipe his eyes, though it wasn’t all that effective, and grimaced.

“Skye, stop,” he said.

“Huh? Bryan, you’re not listening to this jackass,” Skye insisted.

“I’ll fight him anyway.”

“What?! Come on, he’s setting you up!”

“I don’t care.”

Bryan walked over to a barrel containing practice lances and pulled one out. He was still nervous, but he was going to gain respect from other people no matter what. He was through with being shunned and ignored.

“Get in this arena, Rupert!” Bryan ordered, tears running down his face and his nose beginning to run.

“Oh, so the weeping snot-nosed kid is going to fight? This should be fun,” Rupert replied and entered.

“It’s as Skye said! I came to get a new start! I just want new f-friends and some more respect for a change!” Bryan blubbered. “Skye believes in my skills and h-he’s the only one that ever did! And I know my dad would have my back too!”

“Eh? If you say so.”

“I do say so! I’m DONE WITH BEING PICKED ON AND TARGETED! I will NOT BE CALLED A WEAKLING BY THE LIKES OF YOU!!”

“Huh?”

Before Rupert could get in anymore words, Bryan lunged forward with a twirl of the practice lance and jabbed it in Rupert’s gut as hard as he could. It came so quickly that he hadn’t had time to bring up his shield. And the tip was very blunt, so it didn't draw blood. Angered, he swung his own practice lance forward, only to have Bryan block it with his own. They pressed against one another, and even though Rupert was surely stronger than Bryan due to his larger size, Bryan wasn’t forgetful of some of the techniques he’d read about that were useful against larger foes. He was nearly shoved to the ground by Rupert’s mere strength, but in the nick of time, he darted away and let the fool stumble forward.

“Aagh!” he cried as Bryan kneeled behind him and swung his lance in an arc at Rupert’s feet.

The tall man had his feet flipped from under him in an instant and he was on his back in the dirt in the next second. Both Skye and the swordsman shook their heads in disbelief and surprise.

“Augh!”

Bryan quickly leaped atop Rupert and pointed his practice lance right at his throat.

“Am I still not good enough to be here?” Bryan said with a smile. “I think I just passed your little test.”

Rupert could only stay silent in annoyance.

“Heh,” Skye said with a pleased grin. “I knew he had it in him. Way to go, Bryan!”

“Thanks, Skye,” Bryan replied, an excited smile on his face.

Suddenly, the arena doors burst open, and in came Morris, followed by another bulky man in large, ornate armor. He was older than everyone else.

“Stop this at once!” the man ordered.

“Huh? General William!” Rupert and the swordsman cried.

“Alright, what’s going on here? Rupert?” William said, eyeing Rupert with displeasure.

“Morris, you tattletale…” Rupert uttered angrily. “We were just having a little fun, General, that’s all.”

“…Oh!” Bryan gasped, jumping off of the tall lancer. “I-I’m sorry, sir, we were having a spar. He said I had to do it in order to join…”

When the man eyed Bryan, his eyebrows rose. Skye could wear he saw a hint of surprise in his expression.

Wait a minute…Owen’s son…? the man thought to himself. His hair color…it has to be.

“Ah, do not worry, young man,” the man said with a smile. “Morris here told me everything. Rupert and his other friend will be punished.”

“Oh, okay,” Bryan replied. “Thank you. My friend Skye didn’t do anything wrong though, just to let you know. He was just trying to help me. We came to join the army.”

“I understand. Neither of you are in trouble.”

“Well, thank you, sir,” Skye said. “Do we have to take some kind of test to join though?”

“Actually, yes, that part is true. Rupert merely exaggerated the details. You simply need to show you have some knowledge in the weapon you choose to fight with as well as the military itself. If you have nothing to start from, you can’t move forward.”

“I see,” Bryan said. “I’ll do my part.”

“Me too,” Skye agreed.

“Good,” William said. “However…”

He then approached Bryan after the boy had exited the arena.

“I’d say you’ve actually passed most of it already with the show you apparently put on here,” he decided with a smile. “What’s your name?”

“I-I did? Oh, thank you! And my name’s Bryan,” Bryan obliged.

So he is Owen’s son. This will be an interesting and important mission given who the boy’s mother is.

“Yeah, I-I have to admit, he threw me completely off guard, sir,” the swordsman admitted. “I’m sorry for how I treated you, Bryan. Rupert and I were wrong. Appearances can be pretty deceiving, I guess.”

“It seems so,” Bryan agreed. “I can forgive you. I don’t know about Rupert yet, though.”

“I-I understand…”

“Now, young Bryan, let’s get you and Skye some uniforms and armor,” William proclaimed, much to the boys’ excitement. “And Bryan, I’d like to help train you further myself. Let’s just say that I see something in you that I don’t find in many others. You’ve got the makings of a great warrior if you could beat someone like Rupert this soon.”

“…Whoa! You mean that, sir?” Bryan replied, his eyes widening.

“I do,” William confirmed with a smile.

“Wow, Bryan, aren’t you lucky!” Skye complimented. “Let’s get started!”

“Heh, yeah!”

Rupert merely grumbled as he folded his arms. “Hmph.”

“Oh, hey there!” another unfamiliar voice said.

Another infantry lancer had come through the arena doors, likely looking to practice or find an opponent. He had azure hair and similar armor to Rupert, only he wasn’t as tall.

“New recruits, I assume?” he said, looking at Bryan and Skye. “Nice to meet you!”

“Yeah, and you should see what this kid here can do!” the swordsman replied. “He only just arrived, and yet he beat Rupert here in seconds!”

“Whoa, seriously?”

“He sure did,” Skye confirmed, patting the blushing Bryan on the back.

“Heh, yeah…” Bryan uttered, brushing a foot on the ground.

“Wow, that’s impressive!” the new lancer said. “My name’s Cato. I just joined recently myself, but I might have found myself a rival already, it seems!”

“I’m Bryan. And maybe,” Bryan said with a shy smile. “I’ll be happy to spar sometime when I can.”

“Heh, Cato here’s trying to be one of the best,” Morris explained. “He’s cool, don’t worry.”

“That’s good. I want to be the best I can be too!”

“Looks like I’ll let you boys get further acquainted,” William decided. “Once we outfit Bryan and Skye, that is. Let’s go!”

“Alright!” Skye cheered. Bryan merely smiled happily.

For once in his life, Bryan finally felt like he was going to be accepted by people other than his father and Skye. Even if more people like Rupert were around, at least Morris and Cato seemed friendly enough. Morris had had the mind to report Rupert’s stunt to the general, after all. And the swordsman, who had belittled him to start off, had apologized and was impressed with Bryan’s skills.

Looks like Skye might’ve been right after all. The army is the right place for me!

Edited by Anacybele

• 1 month later...

I've got a 5th snippet for y'all! This time we go back to Ike and Elincia's family, though the kids are a little older this time (12-13 for Kael and  9-10 for Lalita). Also, it has some slight sexual themes, just to point out.

Beauty and the Feast

“Oh man, does that smell good!” a boy in his early teens blurted excitedly when he entered the kitchen. His auburn eyes were opened wide and his unruly blue hair bounced as he dashed into the kitchen. A girl with a curly green ponytail and blue eyes followed him.

“Yeah, you make the best breakfasts, Mother!” she cried.

“Aw, thank you both,” a woman with similar long green hair partially tied into a bun replied. “You two say that almost every morning though.”

“Because it’s true, Mom!” the boy insisted as he took his seat at the table.

“Filling our stomachs with delicious food as usual, I see,” a man following the two children replied with a grin. He sported the same unruly blue hair as the boy as well as the girl’s blue eyes. The woman’s eyes, the same color as the boy’s, eyed the man as she gave him a smile.

“Oh, Ike. It’s only what you and Kael usually like eating for breakfast,” she pointed out. “I swear, your son is you all over again.”

The fine wooden table was set with plates of eggs, strips of bacon, some fruit, and a few steaks. Ike preferred meat more than anything, so he definitely had a steak for breakfast whenever he could. Similarly, Kael also had an appetite for it.

“Hey, I can’t help it if I have blue hair and love meat too!” Kael chuckled.

“Heh, I can see what you mean, Elincia,” Ike replied.

The girl rolled her eyes.

“I know, you two are so similar that it’s unbelievable. I’m glad I’m more like Mother myself. I like the fruit and eggs more,” she said.

“Oh shut up, Lalita,” Kael retorted. “Do you always have to ruin the fun?”

“Hey, I’m just giving my two gold pieces!”

“Oh stop, you two,” Ike stepped in. “You don’t have to bicker all the time either.”

“Indeed, let’s just sit down and enjoy our meals,” Elincia added as everyone did so.

“I also have a bit of good news,” Ike continued. “We should be able to eat a meal like this a little more often after today. I landed a job that’s supposed to pay a lot more than what I’ve been getting lately.”

“Oh, awesome!” Kael cheered. “That means more steak and ribs!”

“Oh joy,” Lalita said, to which Kael glared. “But I would love more of everything else!”

“Exactly!” Ike confirmed.

“I think it’s wonderful too!” Elincia agreed as the family began to eat. “There may be more cooking involved, but I don’t like having to resort to feeding my family only oatmeal, soup, or sandwiches for the day. Everyone deserves a hearty three meals.”

“Well said,” Ike replied with a bigger smile than before. His large appetite was famous, and whenever they couldn’t afford normal-sized meals, he was practically never full. It was a good thing Kael couldn’t eat as much as his father. At least not yet.

“Though, I’m pleased that you’ve been okay with this, Elincia,” Ike continued. “It’s been about fourteen years now, but it couldn’t have been easy to get used to after…well, you know.”

“Yes, I know, dear,” Elincia replied. “But really, I never minded in the least bit. I love you and our children enough to where I’m perfectly willing to live this life with no regrets or complaints. I’m fine.”

Elincia then gave everyone another loving smile before eating a bite of egg.

“That’s good,” Ike said, returning the gesture. “I have to admit, I was worried about how you would handle it at first. But I’m thankful for the way you did.”

“Oh, honestly, Ike. Did you forget that the life I had before the Mad King’s War wasn’t much different?” Elincia pointed out. “I cooked, cleaned, sewed, and learned to use a sword. I didn’t do what other princesses did.”

“Yes, but from where I stood, you’d settled into your life as a queen in a castle for the next three years afterward.”

“Well, I would hardly call it “settled.” I don’t think I ever got used to all the meetings, the political decisions, and servants doing nearly everything for me. I do often miss Geoffrey, Lucia, and Bastian, but sometimes even they would overwhelm me.”

“Heh, I see. I can believe you there,” Ike agreed, bringing a bite of steak to his lips.

“I don’t know about servants doing everything for me, but I do wish I could wear the kinds of dresses that you used to, Mother!” Lalita commented after swallowing a grape.

“Eh, who cares about any of that stuff?” Kael said as he took a bite of bacon. “I don’t need fancy clothes or any of that politics. I like simple mercenary work like Dad does.”

“Of course you would,” Lalita retorted.

“Hmph.”

“I didn’t even get to wear those dresses all of the time,” Elincia said. “I usually had to wear my battle garb because we were still recovering from the Mad King’s War, and then the Goddess War occurred.”

“Yeah, that stinks,” Lalita replied.

“And when I did wear a dress, it was more often an orange one that your father had grown used to seeing me in,” Elincia continued with a punchy grin.

“Hey, you were beautiful in it and still would be,” Ike insisted, also smiling.

“Of course,” Elincia replied with a chuckle.

Ike rather hurriedly cut more of his steak as he shoveled more bacon and eggs into his mouth.

“Well, I’ll have to leave soon. This job wouldn’t pay a lot if it wasn’t a big one,” he pointed out after swallowing. “I have to meet up with a few other hired mercenaries in town.”

“Alright, just be careful like always,” Elincia said.

“And you promised we could train together every day if we can, Dad, don’t forget!” Kael added. “Lalita and I are itching for more lessons!”

“Yeah, Father!” Lalita seconded.

"I know, I intend to keep that promise. Don’t worry,” Ike assured.

It wasn’t long before he finished his food since he was a fast eater as well as a big one, and went to bid his family farewell. Elincia said she would help Kael and Lalita train as best as she could until Ike returned later. Brandishing his favorite sword at his back, a large two-handed and serrated blade called Ettardios, as well as his trademark red cape, green headband, and blue armor, Ike waved goodbye and headed into town.

Once Kael finished eating, and he could eat almost as fast as Ike, he grabbed his own headband and tied it around his head. It was much like his father’s, only a teal color instead of green.

“I’m ready to go!” he eagerly announced.

“Well give Mother and I time to finish, sheesh,” Lalita insisted.

“Man, you’re so slow.”

“You know, Kael, eating fast is suspected to be unhealthy these days,” Elincia pointed out. “I’ve heard that it’s caused some people, including children, to get sick. I’ve been trying to tell your father this too, but he just doesn’t want to slow down sometimes…”

“Well, I don’t try to eat fast… Sorry, Mom.”

“It’s alright, just remember to go slower as often as you can.”

“I will.”

It was only a few minutes more before Elincia and Lalita finished eating. The two then placed the dirty dishes in the kitchen’s wash basin and proceeded to wash them. Lalita often helped her mother with chores. Ike and Kael tried to help as much as they could as well, but unfortunately, they weren’t as talented at certain tasks as the girls were. They didn’t mind too much though. Lalita even thought that most men probably weren’t built for that work anyway. Kael would argue differently, that many men probably could do it, they just needed a little more practice, but were usually too busy fighting or doing other hard work.

The two rarely agreed on anything, actually, and some people were surprised to know that they were full blood siblings. Kael was mostly like Ike, but Lalita was different enough from the two that she could’ve easily been someone else’s child, barring her having Ike’s blue eyes. And a few even asked Ike if he ever thought that Lalita might not really be his, with the blue eyes having come from another man who had them. Of course, he took offense to this and very bluntly insisted that such a thing would have never been the case. Elincia was loving only to him and faithful to a fault. He also knew for certain that he was the only man that Elincia had ever been intimate with, but that was a topic best kept to himself.

All anyone knew, though, was that Lalita definitely had influence from not only her mother, but also Ike’s sister, Mist, and perhaps stories of Ike’s late mother, Elena. She was also friends with the local earl’s daughter, who liked some of the same things as well despite having a mother who leaned more on the tomboy side. Children didn’t always have to be like their parents or each other and Lalita proved that enough.

Kael and Lalita had the day off from school, so Elincia could let them start training right away after breakfast was cleaned up. Usually, the two kids went to a schoolhouse a block away for a few hours and then came home to do whatever chores or training that was waiting for them. They were taught basic life lessons at the schoolhouse, such as responsibility, social skills, some arithmetic, history, and more. Kael wasn’t ever really too fond of it, except for when they were learning about war history, but he did his best to do well for his parents anyway. Lalita was mostly indifferent or neutral to everything, and had no problem trying to do well at all. The only thing that ever bothered both children there a lot was when the other kids would ask for autographs from Ike and sometimes Elincia.

Ike had become a famous and respected hero during two wars when he was younger, and Elincia was well known due to once having been a queen. Neither particularly liked bringing those topics up, however, and Kael and Lalita knew it. They said no as often as they could, but once it led to enough trouble to result in Kael getting into a fight with another child and sent home with a discipline note. He and Ike went to the schoolhouse later to clear it up and the teacher apologized for the misunderstanding.

Kael eventually broke a short silence that had ensued.

“Hey, what was that?” he wondered.

“What?” Lalita said.

“That weird noise. It sounded a bit like a shriek and a bang at the same time. I don’t think it was in the house though. I’m pretty sure it was outside somewhere.”

“That’s odd, I didn’t hear anything,” Elincia replied. “And I don’t see anything unusual outside through the windows.”

“Yeah, you’re probably hearing things, Kael,” Lalita suggested.

“I did not! I swear I really heard something!” Kael insisted.

“Alright, alright, whatever it was, let’s just finish cleaning up,” Elincia intervened.

The kids both sighed and obliged. Kael helped his mother and sister put the clean dishes away once they were washed. Lalita wiped down the counter and table. Afterward, the three prepared to go into the back yard to train. Elincia slipped her boots on while Lalita did the same and adjusted the bow holding her ponytail. Kael rolled his eyes at the gesture. Both children were learning to use swords, just like their parents. Elincia had once been a healer as well, but she long abandoned that profession in favor of her sword skills. Though it had been more of an unwitting decision than anything since she had had other things on her mind at the time. It was during the time when she had left her throne, and bringing a healing staff along with her hadn’t crossed her mind, just a weapon to protect herself with.

In a couple minutes, the trio was ready and made for the back door. Before any of them could open it, however, the house’s front door suddenly moved a little. Elincia stood between the children and the door, her hand at her sword in case it was a burglar trying to break in. The family always made sure sturdy locks were used on their doors and that only they had keys for them. They were always kept locked as well.

Yet, when the front door opened, the trio’s expressions change in an instant. Standing there, covered in cuts and blood, was Ike. He was also holding his right arm, which was his sword arm, and it was awkwardly twisted.

“Oh! IKE!” Elincia cried. “What the—?!”

“Dad!” Kael gasped.

“Father!” Lalita blurted, trembling slightly.

Everyone rushed over to him seemingly at the speed of light. Ike was grimacing as blood trickled out of his cuts. In the larger ones, Elincia could spy tiny pieces of glass.

“Ike, what happened?! You weren’t gone very long!” Elincia wondered, her heart racing. “Were you and those mercenaries ambushed?!”

“Oh, no…” Ike uttered through the pain. “I never reached them… There was an accident in town. Someone lost control of a horse and wagon and I happened to be in the horse’s path. It kicked me and I slammed into a store window…”

“Oh man! See, that had to be what I heard before!” Kael pointed out. “I told you guys!”

“Wow, ouch…” Lalita commented. “You’re lucky though, Father. A kick from a horse could kill someone or leave them paralyzed!”

“Yeah, it’s good that the only serious damage it did was my arm. I think it’s broken…” Ike said. “It’s where most of the horse’s hooves got me too.”

“Oh dear…” Elincia muttered. “Let’s get you on the couch. Kael, Lalita, grab some pillows.”

“Right!” the two children obliged.

“Also, Ike, why didn’t you go to an infirmary? You could’ve hurt yourself even more coming back here!” Elincia insisted.

“I know, but the house was closer,” Ike said as Elincia helped him towards the couch. “The nearest infirmary turned out to be nearly twice as far from where I was.”

“Ugh… Well, you’re lucky I still remember some of my skills from when I healed wounds.”

Minutes later, Kael and Lalita returned with two large pillows for Ike to rest his head on. Elincia grabbed a pair of damp cloths and helped Ike clean his cuts and remove the remaining glass shards. His cape, headband, armor, and boots were removed in the process as he was gently laid upon the couch and pillows. Elincia grabbed some bandages and an arm sling as well. They always made sure to keep first aid supplies handy.

“Oh, Ike! Your job!” Elincia remembered. “Can they let you do it another time?”

“Ugh, damn it!” Ike realized. “I nearly forgot. No, they said they needed me now. This job involves helping to bust a smuggling ring that has proven elusive and could move on from town at any time. This town’s mayor and other town leaders have reported missing valuables and we believe the thieves are here. And of course, there’s the large payment…”

“Oh no…” Elincia groaned. “I guess there’s only one thing to do. Once I finish bandaging you, I’ll take your place.”

“Huh?! Elincia, it could be dangerous!”

“I know, and I hate to leave you like this, but that money would really help us, and catching awful thieves is always a good thing.”

“I think Father has a point, but I do understand if the money will help a lot,” Lalita commented. “Kael and I can take care of Father though!”

“Yeah, Mom, we’ll look after Dad,” Kael promised. “Just be careful out there. We don’t want any more accidents or anything.”

“You both are so good,” Elincia replied with a loving smile. “I’m going to have a doctor pay a visit though. I can’t exactly treat a broken bone without a staff and professional help. And if any of you need anything, Miriam is always next door. Be sure to let her know of any trouble.”

“We will, Mother,” Lalita promised.

“Good. Now I’ll get going. We don’t want to keep those mercenaries waiting. Ike, could you tell me where to go and who exactly to look for?”

“Ah, right…” Ike agreed and gave as thorough descriptions as he could. They were two rather rugged mercenaries named Jared and Ned and Ike was supposed to meet them not too far from where the accident had occurred. Just a couple streets over was an old warehouse where the two mercenaries would be standing nearby.

“Alright, thank you,” Elincia said when Ike finished. She then took a sturdy steel sword from a closet and turned to her children.

“Now, I’ll try to come back as soon as I can,” she continued. “You two do the best you can for your father until the doctor arrives.”

“Don’t worry, Mom. We got this,” Kael said with a smile. His mother returned the gesture.

“That’s good,” she said and went to peck both children on the forehead.

“You’re welcome, Mother!” Lalita said with a grin.

“Aw, Mom, come on. I’m too old for that!” Kael retorted.

“Hee hee, I know,” Elincia giggled, and then knelt before her husband.

“Ike, I’m sorry about this… But you’ll be up again soon!” she said confidently.

“Yeah, hopefully. Now be as careful as you can,” Ike replied.

“Of course, dear. And you focus on recovering.”

After exchanging a kiss with Ike, Elincia bid her family good bye and left the house.

Elincia first paid a visit to Miriam and asked her to summon a doctor. A family friend ever since Ike and Elincia had met her after moving in, the older woman immediately agreed to do so and also decided to periodically check on Ike and the kids.

Elincia then made her way into town as quickly as she could. If she kept the mercenaries waiting too long, they would begin to wonder where Ike was. She would have to explain things regardless, but hopefully they would understand. Although, would they accept her help? She wasn’t a weak fighter, but she definitely wasn’t on her husband’s level either, and there was always a reason for calling on his services. Ike hadn’t become a hero respected all over Tellius and by extension, Altarais for nothing. Sure, sometimes people hired him just because he was Ike, but for jobs like this smuggling ring bust, surely he was hired more for his strength than his name.

Not long after Elincia arrived at the first business road, she could see where Ike’s accident had taken place. A shattered store window was not that far down, and a wagon with a couple broken wheels was still being cleaned up. She could also see two men seemingly bickering near the mess. Probably the store owner and the wagon driver figuring out who was going to pay for the damage. Hopefully it wouldn’t get violent. All Elincia could overhear was something about an insistence that the wagon driver pay the medical bill for “the man his horse kicked into his store.” Elincia really wasn’t inclined to disagree with it either. It would definitely save the family some money. She was also surprised Ike wasn’t recognized, as he usually was by just about anyone that saw him. Maybe he’d gotten away before anyone could this time. It was in his character to do so, as he never liked all the attention.

Remembering Ike’s directions as best as she could, Elincia continued down a couple more roads until she saw two rather rugged-looking men standing behind a tree near an abandoned warehouse. Or, previously abandoned, as some scruffy-looking people were moving some crates outside of it. The smuggled goods, no doubt. Elincia quietly approached the two men at the tree. One was a purple-haired man with green eyes and a bow and quiver at his back. The other was a green-haired man with golden eyes and a sword at his side. The green-haired man had a fine stubble at his chin as well. Both had clothing as tattered as Ike’s tended to be.

“Hm? You need directions, miss?” the archer wondered when he noticed Elincia. “And do you happen to know where that famous mercenary, Sir Ike, is? We were supposed to be working with him today. Lucky us!”

“Oh, yes. I’m his wife, Elincia,” Elincia replied. “I’ve come on behalf of my husband. You must be Ned and Jared, correct?”

“What now? Is that so?” the swordsman said, his eyebrows arching. “Yeah, I’m Ned and this archer here is Jared. What happened to Ike?”

“I’m afraid he was injured on his way here,” Elincia revealed and explained the horse and wagon accident. Both men blinked in surprise upon hearing the tale.

“Whoa!” Jared said. “That must’ve been the ruckus we heard earlier. Damn, this ain’t no good.”

“Yeah. We have some backup on the way, but our numbers will still be less than what the thieves have since they have over a dozen guys in there,” Ned explained. “Sir Ike was supposed to make up for that with his brute skill and strength. I don’t mean to be rude, ma’am, but I’m not sure if you can do it. Although luckily for us, all of the thieves wield either axes or daggers.”

“Oh dear, I see…” Elincia commented. “And I understand. I definitely can’t replace my husband. But maybe there’s something else we could do…”

“Hm? You got another idea?” Jared wondered.           

“I might. I’m no tactician, but my husband worked with an excellent one for a long time some years ago,” Elincia continued. “I’ve heard a lot of ideas from both of them in the past. There could be a way to distract the smugglers until the backup arrives and then we can take them by surprise while they’ve let their guard down.”

"Hmm… You know, that could work,” Ned agreed. “But how would we distract them? It shouldn’t take much longer for our backup to arrive, but still…”

“Don’t worry,” Elincia replied with a smile. “You just leave that to me. I’m going to try something my husband himself actually suggested some time ago in case force alone might not be enough. Thought he might’ve been jesting…somewhat. You two have to stay hidden for now though, alright?”

“Er…” Jared uttered, confusedly. Elincia merely winked.

“Like I said, don’t worry.”

“Well, if something goes wrong over there, we’re jumping in to help, alright?” Ned insisted.

“Fair enough,” Elincia agreed.

“Good luck. One of us will sneak by and shoot you a signal when the backup guys arrive.”

“Thanks.”

I just hope I really know what I’m doing here, she thought as she slowly approached the thieves, who were still busy with their crates. And that they’ll fall for this even though I’m in my mid-thirties now. Before she made herself known, Elincia removed her chest plate and set it aside in a bush near the mercenaries. Hopefully they saw this. Elincia then undid part of the front of her tunic so some cleavage showed. As a safety precaution, she also removed her wedding ring and stuffed it into her satchel.

“Oh, hello there, boys,” she greeted the thieves kindly. “I’m sorry, but I seem to have gotten lost while on a stroll. Care to help a lady out?”

The thieves turned to see Elincia standing in a somewhat provocative pose with one leg in front of the other and one hip off to the side. One of the thieves let a whistle escape his lips.

“Whoa, a babe!” another cried.

“Hey, aren’t we supposed to be focusin’ here?” a third cut in.

“Oh stuff it!” the first retorted and then turned to Elincia with a punchy grin. “Sure, we might be able to help yeh…if yeh can help us out a bit first. Heh heh.”

“Why, I can do that,” Elincia agreed rather slyly. “If you take a break, maybe I can provide some…entertainment?”

She let one of her sleeves drop slightly, revealing a little more of her breasts. The first thief, an axe wielder, let his eyes widen excitedly.

“Ooh… I do like me the sound of that,” he replied.

“Count me in!” the second thief added and then paused.

“Hey, I thought we were supposed to finish this job fast as we can!” the third cut in again. “You two can drop yer pants fer women later!”

“Quit yer whinin’, we got time for a little break,” the first argued. “We been slavin’ all mornin’!”

“Yes, why not rest those tired muscles?” Elincia suggested. “They must be oh so sore.”

“Yeah, she’s right,” the second thief agreed. “…Hey, wait a second. You ain’t married, are yeh? I don’t like cheaters.”

“Pff, who cares?” the first thief scoffed. “She’s still offerin’ herself! Far as I’m concerned, the only important couple here is on ‘er chest. Heh heh.”

“And I don’t see any rings on my fingers anyway. Do you?” Elincia teased as she showed the men her hands.

“Heh. Sweet,” the second thief commented with a big grin. “Let’s meet the happy lovers!”

"Patience, we’ll get there,” Elincia promised, leaning over a crate and letting her breasts rest upon it, revealing even more cleavage. She could swear that two thieves that were interested began drooling.

“You have to decide just what you want me to do,” she continued. “Showing more of my assets here can’t be the only thing, right?”

“Heh, nope, I suppose not!” the first thief agreed. “Let’s see…why not have her dance a bit? Jiggle those packages, move that booty…”

“Yeah, but don’t we need a pole for that though?” the second pointed out. The third rolled his eyes in irritation.

“Nah, it doesn’t need to be that kind of dancing exactly,” the first thief protested. “At the very least, she’s gotta take off her clothes down to her underwear!”

“Ah, yeah!” the second agreed. “Missy, you must be tired from walkin’ too, right? Rest with us and we’ll have a good time!”

“Maybe,” Elincia slyly replied. Out of the corner of her eye, she finally saw Ned sneak next to the building and point in the other direction, telling her that the backup warriors arrived.

“Or maybe I have other ideas!” she blurted, revealing the sword beneath her tunic and drawing it. A second later, Ned, Jared, and three other men stormed the area.

“AAAH!  NOOO!!” the first thief cried as an arrow pierced his gut.

“ARGH! NOW LOOK WHAT YOUR STUPID BOOBY BRIGADE DID!” the second thief shouted as he tried to throw daggers in Jared’s direction, only to be met by Ned’s blade. “Got played by a…woman…”

“Oh, I lied about being married too,” Elincia added with a smile. “I have a wonderful husband, and my ring is right here in my satchel. Now goodbye!”

“Can’t believe it…AGH!” the third thief gasped as Elincia’s blade went right across his neck.

“This operation’s over!” Ned shouted. “Everybody inside and attack! We’ve got them now!”

“Aw yeah, man!” Jared shouted. With his strong leg, he kicked the door down. Elincia quickly grabbed her chest plate while he did so, though the upper part of her tunic now had a couple tears from the fight. She buckled her chest plate on and quickly followed her allies inside to take care of the remaining smugglers. The group counted ten inside, and with six experienced fighters against them, it was a fairly easy victory. Jared hopped atop a stack of crates to fire arrows while Ned and the others helped on the ground. The other three men wielded swords and lances, and though the latter was at a disadvantage against axes, they were effective enough against the dagger wielding thieves.

It wasn’t long before the remaining enemies were all eliminated, and the group could rest easy. Ned began opening the crates, and what he found inside did not surprise him.

“Yup, jackpot,” he said with a smile. “Jewels, gold, and other valuables stashed in all of these. Groups like these steal them from various towns and hoard them for selling on the black market.”

“Wow, that’s quite an operation,” Elincia commented. “I’m glad I could help stop it.”

“Oh, you, Miss Elincia,” Jared spoke up. “You were amazing! Bravo! Huzzah!”

“I must admit, you threw these guys off big time,” Ned agreed. “Provided just the opening we needed!”

“Sir Ike’s taste in women is just as good as his combat skills!” Jared added.

“Whoa, Sir Ike’s wife?” one of the other mercenaries said. “I was wonderin’ why she was here and he wasn’t. Man, a lot o’ cheers to you, miss!”

The other mercenaries agreed, and Elincia couldn’t help but blush.

“Aw, I only did what I needed to,” she replied. “But thank you!”

“Say, why don’t we buy you lunch after we report all this to the mayor?” Jared suggested. “We’re gonna get paid big time and it’s our treat for a job well done!”

“Oh, I’d love to, but I really must go home and check on my husband and children,” Elincia replied. “Ike is still injured and the children are looking after him.”

“Ah, righty,” Jared realized. “That’s fair. Maybe some other time then, eh?”

“Heh, maybe!”

“At the very least, let us carry you home on our shoulders! Just point us in the right direction! Once we pay a visit to the mayor, that is!”

“Yeah!” Jared agreed.

The other mercenaries weren’t hesitant to agree and the group swept Elincia off her feet and onto several pairs of shoulders.

“Oh!” Elincia gasped happily and chuckled. “You all are too kind!”

Back at her home some time later, Kael and Lalita were in the kitchen working on some lunch for themselves and their father. It was supposed to be some fish and soup, but they were having trouble remembering some of their mother’s cooking techniques. Lalita was trying to cook the fish while Kael worked on an herbal pain medicine that was for soreness Ike had been getting in his side and back from his store window crash. And of course, since the two siblings couldn’t agree much on other things, the same held true in this case as well.

“Lalita, I really don’t think you’re doing that right,” Kael said. “When Mom cooks fish, it always looks different from that!”

“And you’re an expert?” Lalita retorted. “I’m doing the best I can. And it’s not done yet! And all you’re doing with those herbs is getting them mixed up!”

“I am not! I’m following the directions that the doctor left. Some of them have to be mixed!”

“Not all of them though!”

“It’s not all of them! Come on, this is no time to start fighting. Dad’s counting on us.”

“Yeah, I know…”

Lalita then checked on the soup heating in a pot over the oven flame. It was beginning to warm nicely. Thankfully, soup wasn’t that hard to cook. She put some meat pieces in it for Ike as well as Elincia often did herself. The fish was being held over the oven flame as well.

“Are you kids doing okay in there?” Ike called from the living room.

“Yeah, we’re fine, Father!” Lalita assured.

“Alright, that’s good. …Huh?”

Kael and Lalita paused, wondering what their father’s sudden confusion was about. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Ike heaved himself off of the couch to answer it, careful not to irritate his broken arm. He opened the front door to find the mercenaries he was supposed to have worked with that day, and Elincia atop their shoulders.

“Sir Ike! You doing alright?” Ned wondered.

“…Oh, yeah. But what’s all this?” Ike replied with a chuckle. “Why is my wife on your shoulders?”

“Because she was the MVP today!” Jared announced.

“She did a great job helping us! So good, in fact, that the mayor paid her a little extra!" Ned added. "You’ve got one hell of a wife!”

“They’re exaggerating a bit,” Elincia insisted, her cheeks red as roses. “I just started things off. They did most of the fighting. Although it is true that I earned extra gold!”

“You allowed us to do the fighting! And that tactic you used, wow!” Jared praised.

“Well, this I have to hear,” Ike commented as Elincia handed him the purse of gold and was gently put down. “But thanks for letting her help, guys. And for keeping her safe.”

"Oh, no problem at all!” Ned replied. “She’s welcome to help us again in the future, that’s for sure.”

“Heh, I’ll keep that in mind. See you around!”

After all farewells were made, Ike and Elincia returned to the house. As soon as Elincia stepped inside, she smelled the cooking and instantly headed for the kitchen, Ike explaining that the kids were making him medicine and lunch.

“Aw, aren’t they sweet,” Elincia commented. “Kael, Lalita, I hope you’re not making a mess.”

“Oh, we’re not, Mom,” Kael assured. “See, as clean as we could keep it!”

"Good job! And it looks like you’re not doing too badly here.”

Elincia gave the fish a thorough check as Lalita turned it some more.

“Not bad at all, it’s just a cooked a little unevenly,” she said. “Meat has to turn constantly when cooked like this or it won’t cook evenly at all.”

“Ah, thanks, Mother,” Lalita replied.

“I’ll help with the medicine now too. Just let me clean myself up a little.”

Elincia then removed her chest place to reveal her torn tunic and some small cuts and bruises. On her exposed skin.

“So, Elincia, mind telling me what exactly you were doing out there?” Ike spoke up. “…And why is your tunic partially undone?”

“Ah…well…Sorry, but this isn’t quite appropriate for the children,” Elincia admitted and leaned into her husband’s ear to whisper about how she’d gotten the smugglers to let their guard down. Ike’s mouth dropped open and his eyebrows rose upon learning it.

“…What? Are you serious?” he replied. “Elincia, I was joking when I mentioned that a long time ago.”

“I thought you might’ve been… But it seemed like the perfect strategy in this case since the group was outnumbered, especially without you,” Elincia admitted.

“I see, but… Don’t try that again. At least not without me there,” Ike insisted. “I don’t know what I’d do if you did and it went wrong and I wasn’t there to protect you. Remember what happened with Jerec and Melanie outside that restaurant a long time ago? Mel wasn’t even trying to be provocative and she was nearly…”

“I know, I know…” Elincia admitted. “And I promise, dear. I would honestly prefer not to use it again myself.”

“Ha, I think I know what you were up to, Mom. Nice! But cousin Jerec and Melanie had something bad like that happen?” Kael wondered.

“Kael, watch it,” Ike ordered. “I don’t want you or your sister getting any funny ideas, understand?”

"Sheesh, I know that, Dad…”

“Me too, don’t worry,” Lalita assured. “Whatever it was, it sounds kind of gross anyway. From the thieves’ side, I mean.”

“Good. Anyway, yeah, though it’s kind of a long story,” Ike replied. “And I still can’t believe how much trouble Jerec wound up getting into after he accidentally killed the guy that attacked Mel or that the guy had the nerve to attack her at all. But it’s because of incidents like that that I want everyone to be careful.”

“We understand, dear,” Elincia replied. “Right, everyone?”

“Yeah, Dad, that’s for sure,” Kael agreed. “And I’ll always try to protect Lalita from creeps like that too.”

“Oh, I feel sooo safe,” Lalita teased.

"Shut up! I mean it!”

“Oh, I know, I’m just messing around. And I’ll protect you too. We’ll both be great sword fighters some day!”

“Well, it’s good to know that you’ll look out for each other,” Ike said with a smile. “Now, I’m going to go lay down again. I’m still sore…”

“Then we’ll finish the cooking,” Elincia proclaimed with a smile. “You rest up, dear.”

“Heh, right.”

Ike then returned to the living room couch, and had a grin on his face despite his aching body. His family probably looked a bit dysfunctional at times, but he was proud of them all the same.

Edited by Anacybele