General Warriors Thread: Persona 5 Scramble

Jedi

12 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wasn't expecting for them to age Liu Bei up again. It seems against their instincts considering how much their fanbase is devoted to prettyboys, though to be fair that's more an SW than DW thing I believe. I like it. Liu Bei never really impressed me through his looks and now he may actually do so.

I'm not sure how I feel about Sun Jian becoming a bit younger. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be greyish.

Cao Cao looks great as always. 

I hope the Simas are getting revealed soon. They are my favorite family both in terms of character and relation to each other. I also like to see what kind of fabulous hat Sima Yi will get this time. 

He was only 36 when he died, so him being grey was I think Koei aging him up if anything. 

RoTK tends to have him look like this for comparison sake. 

Jlu8GZ2.jpg

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Liu Bei looks awesome!

Suan Quan, though... urgh.

Were you more fond of his 7 & 8 looks? His designs have been kind of hit & miss through the series to be honest.

19 hours ago, Jedi said:

Were you more fond of his 7 & 8 looks? His designs have been kind of hit & miss through the series to be honest.

8. The long crimson cape and stern facial expression made him look cool and stand out-- facially, he's a lot more generic now (and the tigerskin is just ugly, IMO).

I've always actually oddly enough been a fan of his 4 look even if it was kind of silly. 

8 was probably his overall best look and it looks like they tried to merge his 5 & 7 designs for this one to mixed results.

Also apparently this is a thing 

Edited by Jedi

I'm hoping it's a costume choice outside of Story Mode. As for Liu Bei in the actual telling of Shu's tale, I'm thinking he'll start sans stache (and beard) as a sign of youth and inexperience, and only gain it at a certain point as a slight way of showing his rise into greatness.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm hoping it's a costume choice outside of Story Mode. As for Liu Bei in the actual telling of Shu's tale, I'm thinking he'll start sans stache (and beard) as a sign of youth and inexperience, and only gain it at a certain point as a slight way of showing his rise into greatness.

Probably right, they've been trying to do stuff like that recently like having Xiahou Dun with both eyes etc.

Well, I'm not surprised, considering stuff like Xiahou Dun's eyepatch, and 8 also had Xiahou Ba with and without helmet and Sima Shi's eye-cover-mask-thingy, iirc.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Some gameplay: 

AI was apparently set at a low level for demonstration purposes, though I'm not sure how true that is.

Cao Cao also appears clean shaven - there might be some kind of (slight) age progression after all this time - or just like Liu Bei.

Edited by Tryhard

Can't read what it says, but Guan Yu + Yuan Shao + Cao Cao = vs. Dong Zhuo at Hulao Pass right? Then where was Lu Bu and Diaochan? They've already been revealed. Hope Dong Zhuo looks a little less comical this time by the way.

It's hard to tell whether it's just being in the big bright game or if Cao Cao (and Yuan Shao?) lack his facial art in the official artwork. If Cao Cao lacks it, he doesn't really do much after declaring himself King of Wei, so I'm expecting the regnal facial hair to come sooner- how about he rips it if Yuan Shao after Guandu? It's the zenith of his unstoppable glory before his nadir of lanterns being floated down a river.

We got some more gameplay it looks like 

Also confirming lockon, Gan Ning and a few other things.

Edit: Ling Tong & Xu Zhu 

Edited by Jedi

Gan Ning and Ling Tong look almost exactly the same. Xu Zhu is a bit more throwbacky, but compared to what we've seen the changes are pretty tame.

Gameplay definitely looks like Dynasty Warriors with longer draw distance. Just hoping it's multiplat at this point.

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:
Are we gonna actually be able to participate for once, wow.

I'm certainly excited for it. It'll be nice to have some concrete data on Western fan opinion on characters. I fully expect Wei to completely dominate the polls, but Wei bias is in full effect for me.

RE: The HK stream gameplay, if I'm being honest, proper lock-on is something the series has sorely needed for ages and I'm glad to see it being carried over from HW. The hype train continues unabated for me!

5 hours ago, AzureSen said:

I fully expect Wei to completely dominate the polls, but Wei bias is in full effect for me.

All the way with Wei! Cao Cao wow wow! 

... are better slogans than:

Wuhoo! Keep on the Suny side of life!

Shu and you! Liu's your Bae!

Jin is win! Sima Yi-haw! 

7 hours ago, AzureSen said:

I'm certainly excited for it. It'll be nice to have some concrete data on Western fan opinion on characters. I fully expect Wei to completely dominate the polls, but Wei bias is in full effect for me.

RE: The HK stream gameplay, if I'm being honest, proper lock-on is something the series has sorely needed for ages and I'm glad to see it being carried over from HW. The hype train continues unabated for me!

Wu bias for me, more early era Wu but you knew that :P: 

Yeah Lock-on is a good addition. 

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I'm starting to get the itch to look into DW3 or DW5. I'll consider the Empires expansions, but not the Xtreme Legends since I want to play in 2P. 

I've read a lot about the "classic warrior's games" and from what I can tell

DW3- Hardest game in series, some maps are really well designed (hu lua gate, ru nan, Ji Ting) More focus on helping your army's officers survive and actually clear out the peons/oildiers than later games. Supposed to have very weak story outside of the encylcopedia, somehow worse english voice acting than normal. draw distance pop in priotizes grunts over officers

DW4- Has the controversial duel system , lowish difficulty (I've beaten a new campaign on hard with a fresh charather multiple times without too much trouble) Although  it has some nasty levels like the Wu version of Nanman. Every level has events scripted into it. (although this is more a downside of 2/3 as 5 and the modern games do this too). Story line is simplifled, and Sun jian / Cao-cao/ Liu Bei are used as the leaders of each kingdom long after their deaths. Dream stages aren't labeled as they are in SW and later games (eg dong zhou lives). Can get away with just ridding horses from officer to officer and KO count isn't too important. Things like elements and musou are superficial due to being  under powered compared to how they are in both DW3 and DW5.

DW5- Gives all the charather's lots of hitstun, which makes oversize weapon guys like xu zhu more even with other  charathers, but also destroys the difficulty even on Hard/Chaos mode.Can change direction mid combo. Also buffs musous and adds a rage mode, which the enemy can use, but tips balance in favor of player if learned well. Storyline and which charathers are present in the battles is closer to history or at least RTK  (barring the happy endings). Although I hear it doesn't present the overall flow of the war due o the individual character format. Smaller number of maps than DW4. 

.The only one of these I've played myself is DW4. And it's been pretty fun in 2P, but I feel the need to mix something new in. I'm not concerned at all with Story or Graphics- I've read a translation of the actual novel now, so really I'm only concerned with gameplay. Graphics really don't bother me since I've played a lot of ropey PS1 and N64 games. My main concerns are that the DW3 singleplayer seems to have the most involved SP of them (which is good) but from what I've heard DW4-onward made a lot of under the hood changes to the 2P, particularly in rendering prioty for generics, officers, and bodyguards- which means that it may not run well even though I'm really interested in it on paper. I'm a little negative about DW5 because  from what I've heard about it, it probbably gets repetitive quicker than DW4. I've never played DW4 Empires, so I think if I did get a DW5, I could get it as DW5E first to offset what looks like (relatively more shallow) gameplay. However, it's rendering should be able to cope with 2P better than DW3 as I find DW4's to be  bearable. I find most of the bad english and chinese pronuciation in DW4 to be more funny than annoying (exception sun ce, gan ning) so I don't see that as a major downside of DW3. As for my companion, he's played DW4, SW2, Hyrule Warriors, and WO3, but considers DW4 to be his favorite. I think this means he would prefer DW5 due to being more similar to 4 than 3 is. 

So I'd just like to ask the Warriors fans here what they'd think would work out best. I'm biased toward DW3, but I what I really want is a game that punishes focusing entirely on officer killing and never interacting with your allies , so DW4E or DW5E might also fill my need.  I want to keep in mind the limitation of the draw engine (and the other player might not be ready for the arrow spam) so I'm ready to give  DW5 the first chance if I hear from other people about it.

Edited by Reality

What I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned in the thread (and is something I just discovered) is that DW9 is releasing in the West on PS4/PC/Xbox One.

My plea for multi-plat has been met.

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty disappointing that it seems like these don't have any additional content. Orochi 3 has been ported so many times now, if you don't have it, you just don't want it.  

13 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Couldn't the same be said of Dragon Quest Heroes?

Right, I actually forgot that the Switch version never came stateside.

• 3 months later...