General Warriors Thread: Persona 5 Scramble

Jedi

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's one of my favorite Warriors games. It was the first one that did character switching and I think the morale zone mechanic added a lot to the game. The stages are also fairly short to make them easy to grind in while long enough to offer satisfaction.

But most of all is that every character get their due. Even characters who often get ignored like Noh and Ranmaru get an arc and both seem to have been given one of the better ones to make up for not having a character campaign in SW3. 

Chronicles 3 was great too but not as good as the first game. I noticed Chronicles 3 cutscenes are a lot more wacky like the characters actually hosting a self help show with incompetent judges. It got some very good bit like the hypothetical campaign starring Hideyoshi and Kanbei, and it had the strongest portrayal of Matsunaga. The two stages system for hypotheticals kinda doomed some stories though. The Date one for example had its story finish off screen after two stages weren't enough to tell it. 

I liked the wacky character events, which are made even funnier by the combination of characters. One of my personal favourites was when Masanori, Katsuie, Nobuyuki and the avatar were trying not so say "Yukimura" over and over again, but end up doing so anyway.
Due to those events, I ended up really liking Noh as well. She came across as your stereotypical femme fatale in Orochi 3 and she was on a level with Camilla when it comes to characters I don't really care for, but Chronicles 3 redeemed her for me by showing a more human side to her.
I found the characterization for nearly every character in this game to be really strong for a Warriors game. They were almost all surprisingly deep and multi-dimensional and their motivations were clear and well-founded, something I hadn't really expected from a game of this type.

Some of the hypothetical stories were too short, I will agree to that. That's one of my complaints about the game. Another is that you don't get to play as all the characters when you only play stages once. There's at least five characters that go completely unused - among them are Kotaro, Ginchyo, Okuni and Aya - while other characters are used repeatedly. Sadly, the  worst character (read: my personal least favourite to play as and my second least favourite in terms of character) in the game - Kanbei - is force-deployed pretty often in the main story as well.

I would play the original Chronicles, too, but I can't find it anywhere on the e-shop, which sucks.

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I liked the wacky character events, which are made even funnier by the combination of characters. One of my personal favourites was when Masanori, Katsuie, Nobuyuki and the avatar were trying not so say "Yukimura" over and over again, but end up doing so anyway.
Due to those events, I ended up really liking Noh as well. She came across as your stereotypical femme fatale in Orochi 3 and she was on a level with Camilla when it comes to characters I don't really care for, but Chronicles 3 redeemed her for me by showing a more human side to her.

I enjoyed a lot of them as well. They were funny and really quite surprising a lot of the time. 

I think the focus on Noh's friendship with Hanbei did her a lot of good. It shows she has a life outside of her husband and since he ends up dying it does show allow her to show her human side. 

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Sadly, the  worst character (read: my personal least favourite to play as and my second least favourite in terms of character) in the game - Kanbei - is force-deployed pretty often in the main story as well.

He's actually among my favorites on both accounts :^_^: The Chronicles games have always treated him very well which is nice for me. 

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I enjoyed a lot of them as well. They were funny and really quite surprising a lot of the time. 

I think the focus on Noh's friendship with Hanbei did her a lot of good. It shows she has a life outside of her husband and since he ends up dying it does show allow her to show her human side.

Agreed on both accounts.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He's actually among my favorites on both accounts :^_^: The Chronicles games have always treated him very well which is nice for me. 

Interesting. I found his moveset to be kind of slow and sluggish compared to some of the other characters, but maybe that just has something to do with me liking the more fast paced characters more. As for his character: it's fine, it does what it's supposed to, I just don't like the idea behind it, if that makes sense. It's kind of like how you feel about characters like Naotora or Mitsunari; characters like Kanbei just rub me the wrong way.
But, as they say, different strokes for different folks.

---

On the topic of Warriors Orochi 4: I heard there is 170 characters in there? I mean, I found WO3U's 145 to be really quite overblown, but I see they went the extra mile on that one.

@DragonFlames Thats something i always hated with story mode in warriors games besides DW4(the last one that use freeform kingdom system) since they force you to use characters you just dont like to use(DW8 semi fix it by allowing weapon swaps to other characters). Its particularly bad since i hate Chronicles 1 Male Sword moveset for example. First thing i did once i learned about friendship mechanic is to grind out to Excellent with Katsuie Shibata because.... well, Katsuie

come to think of it is Munenori in SWC3?

3 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Yup, he is. He's pretty strong, too.
I think SWC3 has everybody from SW4 and a few bonus characters who only appear as NPCs in the game's (sadly bare bones) Challenge Mode.

The bonus characters are: Sun Wukong, Lu Bu, Orochi and Kyubi. None of them are playable, which is flat-out wasted potential.

One of the best things about SWC3's friendship mechanic is probably that you can get any characters' weapon and with it, their fighting style on your avatar once you reach "Trusted" friendship with them, though it usually requires a second or third character that's related to the first somehow to reach "Trusted" friendship as well (for example, to get Nobunaga's weapon on your avatar, you also need to upgrade friendship levels with Noh and Ranmaru). So if there's a character you'd really like to use all the time but can't due to Story Mode restrictions (which get lifted when you complete a stage once, probably to make up for a lack of a Free Mode), you can grind out that character's friendship level until you're able to use their weapon on yourself. As I mentioned before, I did that with Kunoichi, whose weapon type also requires Kai.

7 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

I can't say I ever used him because he bores me but in terms of story SWC3 is a highlight for Munenori since he turns out to be a master manipulator in one of the hypofetical chapters. Being kinda bland actually really worked in his favor since you'll never see his deceptions coming because of it. 

EDIT: Nvm. My question has been answered.

I can't say I ever used him because he bores me but in terms of story SWC3 is a highlight for Munenori since he turns out to be a master manipulator in one of the hypofetical chapters. Being kinda bland actually really worked in his favor since you'll never see his deceptions coming because of it. 

Heh, yeah, that was a neat twist. I agree.
Though I don't think Munenori is all that boring, to be honest.

Edited by DragonFlames

• 2 weeks later...

Arite unlocked every stage of SWC. 

My quick thoughts on the game, the 9 people who praised for its gameplay is right, this games good but its lategame is probably some of the mind boggling things in Musou games since unlocking Orochi X in WO2. Played in Hard Mode from the get go so i probably have different experiences than if you play lower difficulties

The Good:

Early in the game the multi character system allows for a fast paced combat with strict timing for some. It can be fun to figure out where to place each characters, where to order them to move, and how to ration the Spirit usages on each phases

Character variety is pretty nice, even if you are stuck on say Hideyoshi story, Nobunaga Story, and well theres no real Tokugawa story but he appears often anyway and due to something i will mention later, you'd get sick of his beautiful, extremely wholesome smile by the end of the game. On that note some character is screwed screentime wise - 

Morale being used as a strict status buff is one of the best things they done in my opinion because you cant power through it easilly without some spirit commands(big reason why Nobunaga Oda weirdly become one of the best character in the game)

The negatives:

Whoever decided the way to unlock characters in late game need to get out and get laughed at. It was ok early in the game, where its "Good Friendship or Story Progression". Late game? Chapter 4 is set in such a way where theres you need to have almost strong friendship with several set characters who stars in a particular chapters. For some of them the characters on the friendship quota is globally unlocked through story and or friendship so its not that hard to do. For a lot of them, this isnt the case. In particular Date Masamune and Moga Sun City is only on like 1 chapter. Hope you hate Ujiyasu Hojo and Kai because your going to fight them a lot(in fact Kaihime is involved in like 2 of these mandatory stages) To their credit, to "finish the game" you only need Yukimura and friends + some of Tokugawa to unlock Sekigahara which leads to Osaka

Pet peeve but weapon synthesis is 90% RNG but they were not needed in the game and superfluous in some due to 4th being generally good(shout out to Nobunaga Oda for near ideal weapon)

Some time based mission is so strict it might as well be called "Hope you like using Tokugawa Ieyasu, Kanetsugu Naoe, and Sakon Shima for the billionth time". A particularly annoying one is, ironically Tokugawa Ieyasu who have such a bullshit requirement for his 4th weapon, you kinda need 2 of these without super optimized tricks

By late game the game become so broken its hilarious, making many of the games charms invalidated. Normally this is ok due to the idea that "if the game is broke its your fault for breaking it". But as a whole i simply cant defend Spirit Musou loops. The idea is during the duration of Musou attacks, Spirit Gauge refill rate is improved by a ridiculous amount allowing you to spam Spirit moves and some character spirit is just Musou charges giving you bearly unstoppable Musou spam engine. Its a mistake when Sun Jian did it, it still is now

Beyond that insert the standard balancing whacks that is mainstay to SW where power type characters are kinda generally better, and special actions are horribly unbalanced. Because whoever thinks one guy gets to have flying and the other have axe sponsored by Michael Bay have a weird sense of humor

Hoo-kay, since we're on the topic of Warriors Orochi, I thought I'd give my extended thoughts on Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate here, since I have now finished most of it.

What I liked:
Crossing over Three Kingdoms China and Warring States era Japan is an ingenious idea. Seriously, I like any sort of whacky crossover and this game certainly delivers on that front. Besides every damn character from DW7 and SW3, you have original characters (which I will get into in a bit), and even characters from other properties such as Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, Kasumi from Dead or Alive, and Sophitia from Soul Calibur, making for a total roster of a whopping 145 characters (also a point I will address later on).
Gameplay is good, it's the usual Warriors fun, and the story is serviceable enough for a game like this, even if it does involve time travel.
You can take three characters to a single battle and freely switch between them to mix things up. Due to the wide variety of characters, you can potentially play every stage in the story mode as different characters if you so desire. With emphasis on "potentially" (more on that later). 
Each battle earns you Growth Points that you can spend to level up your characters as you desire, which I also like, but levelling up isn't the only way to strengthen your characters. Each character also has his or her own weapons that you can upgrade through buying them with higher star rating or better skills. You can even customize your weapon to a certain degree through weapon fusion, a process in which you can transfer skills from one weapon to the other. Each skill has a number next to it to show how effective it is and you can increase the number by fusing the same skill on a weapon and the numbers will add up, for example if you have Agility +3 already on your weapon and you fuse Agility +2 into it, you get Agility +5. This kind of customization is good, as it adds different ways of building a character... in theory.
Duel Mode is tons of fun (except for one minor detail I will also go into later), as is Musou Battlefields.
Music is fantastic, but I think that one's a no-brainer as far as Koei Tecmo games go.

What I didn't like:
There is plenty to talk about here, sadly.
First of all, let's talk characters. There is 145 in this game, which is a lot. Too many, in fact. Due to how the game's difficulty cranks up to insane degrees in later chapters (first noticeable right at the end of Chapter 2 to the beginning of Chapter 3 and again in Chapter 4), you are actively discouraged from trying out new characters if you don't want to grind a lot. Then, there's the sad fact that the game has a lot of clones. Zhurong uses Wang Yuanji's moveset, Cao Cao and Sima Zhao play the exact same way and I swear every generic lance user has the same moves as Ma Chao. The Samurai Warriors characters are almost all crap. They only have weak, flimsy attacks and / or pathetic range, making them not great at crowd clearing or officer killing. Their Musou attacks are also pretty strange: Dynasty characters have the Musou attacks you're used to: a single strong special attack that usually covers a wide area and does tons of damage... unless you're Ma Chao, whose Musou attack has a chance of doing nothing, basically wasting your precious Musou gauge if your positioning before initiating the attack is even slightly off.
Samurai characters spam a single attack so long as you hold down the Circle button and only stop when their Musou gage is empty. It is bearable in such a way that you are invincible for the duration of the attack and you can also do different moves, but if you really want to use the attacks themselves, then prepare yourself from it whiffing a lot, since most are completely stationary and have barely any range to them. And the A.I. is usually smart enough to stay OUT of range of your attack. They're also blockable, which is the worst thing ever. And then there are Samurai characters that have NOTHING BUT their Musou to do anything. Kunoichi comes to mind. Without her Musou attack that admittedly covers quite a lot of ground, she'd easily be one of the worst characters in this game.
As for how the characters are actually written, there are some I like, some I dislike, and some I don't really have an opinion on. Sadly, most of the original characters - the Mystics, namely - fall into the second category. They are just so freaking arrogant to the point where I have to wonder why I am even helping them, it drives me up the walls. Especially that Taigong Peepee guy (get it? Because Wang means p-- okay, I'll stop) with his dumb fishing rod and Edgy Cyborg McFanfiction (a.k.a. Nezha).
Let's just say that if I feel sorry for the main villain of the story and find her hypothetical story where she takes revenge on the Mystics to be incredibly cathartic, I think something went wrong in the writing department.

A side note about two characters in particular: Goemon Ishikawa and Xiaoqiao compete for most annoying voice in any video game ever. Holy crap, whenever they start talking, I swear my ears want to run away and never come back. Slight exaggeration, but you get my point, I think.
The worst thing about that is that Xiaoqiao is actually somewhat fun to play as. Her aerial R1 and Musou attacks are really strong and cover a lot of ground.
And, believe it or not, Goemon's voice here is annoying, yes, but it's nothing compared to how he is in SW4 and SWC3. Dear lord, what were they thinking? They messed up one of the potentially coolest characters they could make and made him into a joke character.

Going back to the difficulty spikes and difficulty in general: If you want to have a semi-good time with the game and not frustratingly struggle through all of it, especially when you play on the higher difficulty settings, what ends up happening is that you choose 3 of the characters you get in Chapter 1, maybe early Chapter 2, and use all your resources on them up until the endgame, because the moment you try to use, say, Diao Chan, whom you get at the beginning of Chapter 3 and then do another Chapter 3 mission as her with level 1 and barely any upgrades to her weapons, because you lack the resources to get her up, you end up wishing you had continued to use that one character you benched to try her out.
Failing a map doesn't give you the option to retry the battle right then and there. You get thrown back to the main menu, which costs you everything you have done since your last save. It also doesn't save any items, weapons or level ups you might have gotten prior to failing, so you're punished hard for messing up. There are also only so many Growth Points to go around, so theoretically, you'd have to grind A LOT to get every character you get in Chapter 3 up to a realistically usable state.
Additionally, level 1 characters are so weak that they're even struggling against simple mooks. It doesn't help that enemy officers have an incredibly nasty habit of sneaking up on you and juggling you endlessly from off-screen, while you struggle to find your bearings with the wonky camera and the complete mess of ally and enemy health bars, a sea of character models in which you can sometimes struggle to differentiate between ally and enemy mooks alike, officer names, and annoying ally officers that just stand around and do nothing except blocking your view, doubly worse if they are on a horse. Fighting multiple officers at once is a death sentence in this game, especially if they have Samurai style Musou attacks that just come out without warning and kill you right where you stand, even on friggin' Easy Mode. For the record, I have played through the game on Normal mode and went back to play on Easy for some stages to grind, and I struggled all the same. I played some stages on Hard to get Ma Chao's and Wang Yuanji's Mystic Weapons and suffice it to say, I do NOT want to know what Chaos is like.
Speaking of BS difficulty: Gauntlet Mode has to be one of the worst game modes I have ever seen in that department. The thing is basically a game within a game and that game's name is "BS difficulty: The game". I think it even beats out the Battle Frontier and it's ilk from Pokémon as far as least favourite video game content goes.
Mind you, I like it when a game gives me a challenge, but this is challenging for all the wrong reasons, Gauntlet Mode especially so.
Though this does show that Koei does learn from its mistakes, since almost none of the problems I have with the difficulty here are present in the later Musou games I've played.

Now about skills: There is actually only a handful of skills that are actually useful. Some are even downright broken in that they theoretically trivialize some elements of the game. And some are broken in that they don't seem to actually do anything. Wind and Range come to mind. One is supposed to be able to hit enemies through their blocks, which doesn't happen and the other is supposed to extend attack range, which also doesn't happen or it is so miniscule even at +10 (the highest you can level any skill), that it doesn't really make a difference.

The game is also incredibly dreary. Menus, worlds, even characters severely lack colour. Everything is a shade of grey and brown, it makes most battlefields boring, honestly.

And lastly, I have to address the weird card system in Duel Mode. In addition to your 3 characters, you also get to select 4 character cards for each battle. Every card does different things - for example, Kaguya's heals and Huang Zhong's rains down arrows on opponents for a certain amount of time - which does add a layer of strategy, but I feel like the mode would have been better off without it.

Closing thoughts / TL;DR: Despite my many, many complaints (most of which I can possibly attribute to my general ineptitude, though I did play the entirety of Warriors All-Stars on Chaos difficulty and most of Fire Emblem Warriors on Lunatic difficulty), I still think that Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is a good game. There's just something cathartic about blowing away hundreds upon hundreds of mooks and hearing your character shout the by now iconic "Tekishou, uchitottari!" (or variations thereof, I know Ma Chao says something different) when killing an officer, or "Omae koso wa shin no sangoku musou da!" (or variations thereof) when the 1000th enemy has fallen victim to your spear / sword / throwing knife / umbrella / whatever else you can imagine.
Maybe I'm overblowing my issues with it a bit, since going into it, I expected the best Warriors game ever - this fault lies entirely with the internet, btw - only to walk away from it, thinking to myself: what about this game was so much better than any other Warriors game out there? To me, it falls way short of delivering on the hype surrounding it and I will say it, even if two thirds of the Warriors fanbase will want my head on a pike for this one: as far as crossover games go, Warriors All-Stars did a much better job. Sure, it has less game modes, sure the cast is smaller, but the game itself is a lot more focused and knows what it wants to do and be. If anything, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate will always be the game that desperately needs to learn one lesson: less is more. Sadly, going into WO4, that lesson didn't seem to have been learnt, so my desire to get that game isn't that large, to be honest.

Keep in mind that all of this is my personal subjective opinion on things.

I'm getting crucified for this one, aren't I?

@DragonFlames gonna talk about some of your points. Some have explanation some dont

- Musou: the musou for DW is actually extremely new while the musou for SW is very close to classic Musou. Did you never play classic DW?

Classic DW Musou is an invincible repetition of moves, and they upgrades to Rage Musou which adds Fire element and extra bonus strings. This is changed in DW6 where they essentially copied SW and again in DW7 into one big attack form. The classic Musou is still in, in form of Rage Musou which functions as a hybrid between SW Musou and Classic Musou

SW Musou have always been a sort of invincible enter bullet time mode where if you hold O you use the string while you can drop O to use a normal Square Triangle string. The upgrades they had was SW have 3 separate Musou Bar, and max bar Musou had particle effect bonus that adds to the attack(such as meteor, explosion, clone, or shadow blades)

Problem with SW and DW Musou is that many of the musou movements are crap. Its super annoying in DW, but SW allows you to use strings instead. This kind of issue still exists in DW7 onwards Musou(Ma Chao have bad Musou as you noted, Xu Shu Musou is super trash). I think as i played through SWC3 the only Musou i genuinely like over repeating partial S String was Katsu

And as a sidenote wrt clones, your suspicion isnt wrong. Cloned Moveset isnt actually new, someone once compiled a note of how many characters shared a moveset in classic(despite its no clones reputation). DW6 make it worse because thats what 6 almost always do. DW7 then used a sort of modernized DW5 and some character and from what i remember 8 actually have much less clones than 5 used to have(i think it was like Ma Chao and several spears, Sun Quan and some swords. The moveset in general was called Generic Weapons with their Musou as the only distinction)

SW characters sucking generally comes from it having less newer moveset engine to use from iirc. 

And yes broken elements and skills is a thing. Difference between Orochi series and Main series is Main series are mainly dominated by Raw Damage and Musou Boosters while Orochi Series is all about Elements. IIRC Gauntlet Mode is at such a position where you absolutely need to use Slay damage to get anywhere in higher levels. DW8 was only the one time diverse build become a thing

Funny sidenote Goemon reputation as a terrible character(gameplay wise) actually starts in WO3. Hes consistently top tier in the 3 games before... and ironically he gets buffed so much theres a period of time before the game is fully explored where hes the best character in the game. Im somewhat surprised Kuno is bad in O3(never played it) since she was THE god in 1 and 2 although the few time i used her in C1 i didnt quite like her.

33 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

@DragonFlames gonna talk about some of your points. Some have explanation some dont

- Musou: the musou for DW is actually extremely new while the musou for SW is very close to classic Musou. Did you never play classic DW?

Classic DW Musou is an invincible repetition of moves, and they upgrades to Rage Musou which adds Fire element and extra bonus strings. This is changed in DW6 where they essentially copied SW and again in DW7 into one big attack form. The classic Musou is still in, in form of Rage Musou which functions as a hybrid between SW Musou and Classic Musou

SW Musou have always been a sort of invincible enter bullet time mode where if you hold O you use the string while you can drop O to use a normal Square Triangle string. The upgrades they had was SW have 3 separate Musou Bar, and max bar Musou had particle effect bonus that adds to the attack(such as meteor, explosion, clone, or shadow blades)

Problem with SW and DW Musou is that many of the musou movements are crap. Its super annoying in DW, but SW allows you to use strings instead. This kind of issue still exists in DW7 onwards Musou(Ma Chao have bad Musou as you noted, Xu Shu Musou is super trash). I think as i played through SWC3 the only Musou i genuinely like over repeating partial S String was Katsu

And as a sidenote wrt clones, your suspicion isnt wrong. Cloned Moveset isnt actually new, someone once compiled a note of how many characters shared a moveset in classic(despite its no clones reputation). DW6 make it worse because thats what 6 almost always do. DW7 then used a sort of modernized DW5 and some character and from what i remember 8 actually have much less clones than 5 used to have(i think it was like Ma Chao and several spears, Sun Quan and some swords. The moveset in general was called Generic Weapons with their Musou as the only distinction)

SW characters sucking generally comes from it having less newer moveset engine to use from iirc. 

And yes broken elements and skills is a thing. Difference between Orochi series and Main series is Main series are mainly dominated by Raw Damage and Musou Boosters while Orochi Series is all about Elements. IIRC Gauntlet Mode is at such a position where you absolutely need to use Slay damage to get anywhere in higher levels. DW8 was only the one time diverse build become a thing

Funny sidenote Goemon reputation as a terrible character(gameplay wise) actually starts in WO3. Hes consistently top tier in the 3 games before... and ironically he gets buffed so much theres a period of time before the game is fully explored where hes the best character in the game. Im somewhat surprised Kuno is bad in O3(never played it) since she was THE god in 1 and 2 although the few time i used her in C1 i didnt quite like her.

To be honest, my first Warriors game was Hyrule Warriors, so the Samurai / older DW musou style was new to me in WO3U. We can chalk that one up to my ignorance, I guess. Come to think of it, I've never even played a real Dynasty Warriors. The only time I actually played as characters from that series was WO3U and All-Stars, that's it. Huh. Food for thought.

Interestingly, Ina has almost the same moveset in WO3U that she uses in SW4 and SWC3 (only her C2 string is different iirc), but she is MILES better than in WO3U, both in terms of crowd control and officer killing. I don't know why, she just is. In WO3U, she's nearly unplayable, in SW4 and SWC3, she's one of the best characters. It's the same with Kunoichi, strangely enough.
And before you mention it, the Hyper Attacks have nothing to do with that. Even their standard attack strings and strong attacks are stronger and have much more range in SW4 and SWC3 than in WO3U.

Even if clones were a thing in mainline games, that doesn't exactly excuse it. It was just something I noticed, and not a legit problem I had with the game. I am aware that a roster this big does bring some compromises that have to be made, but I mentioned it because I feel like the people calling WO3U the perfect Warriors game - an opinion which they are entitled to, of course, and I am not trying to dissuade them from thinking differently - overlook the fact that it has a lot of clonage going on. Xiahou Dun and Guan Ping use the same moves, as do Sima Zhao and Cao Cao. Nene plays almost exactly the same as Kunoichi and I am fairly certain that Diaochan and Kai have the same (terrible) moveset as well. Lu Bu and Guan Yu share at least one strong attack, which I find interesting, as well. I mean, Fire Emblem Warriors had so many clones and people - perhaps rightfully - lost their minds over that, so why should WO3U be the exception?

Though I hear WO4 has essentially zero clones, so apparently, it is possible to make 170 unique movesets. Though I still feel like what is essentially a hack-'n-slash beat-'em-up game with far over 100 playable characters is pushing the boundary of variety so far that it breaks down and reveals the sentence "holy hell, that's a bloated game if I've ever seen one!" written in an empty void of nothingness...

Trust me, I've tried Gauntlet Mode so many times by now. Even with Slay abilities, even with elements, I could not for the life of me make it past the second stage. It became frustrating to a point where I just gave up on beating it in the first place.

Some sales going on today. Considering 8XL is one of the best warriors games period, that is a very good deal.

Edited by Ashen Jedi

9 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Some sales going on today. Considering 8XL is one of the best warriors games period, that is a very good deal.

Sounds awesome. I think if 8XL is ever on sale on PSN, I might be getting that one. I think it's about time I got my hands on a mainline Warriors game.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

MMO on Phones has been recently confirmed.

New Knight costumes as well. For the actual game. 

Edited by Jedi

That is baffling. Dynasty Warriors 9 is already a terrible game. Making it a smart phone MMO sounds painful to think about, let alone play.

Maybe it will be more fun with multiplayer. But I also have to wonder how it will run on smart phones when consoles and PCs alike struggled to run the poorly optimized main game.

• 1 month later...

I think I'll actually give that one a shot. It sounds hilarious enough, at any rate. Hopefully, they won't take any pages from DW9's book while making it, but my faith in Atlus is still going strong. They absolutely delivered with Etrian Odyssey Nexus and the original Persona 5, after all.
I actually tried downloading the demo for DW9, to see what the fuss was actually about. It supposedly takes - and I am not kidding - 10. FREAKING. HOURS! For a freaking demo, of all things.
Needless to say, I stopped trying.

I've been having tons of fun with DW8 Empires, at least. DW8XL, too, I suppose, but I found Empires to be more enjoyable, simply because of the character creation and the wacky crap you can do with it. Having almost finished the original RoTK novel (well, the one English translation of it, at any rate), playing through what essentially amounts to an abridged version of that isn't as... fulfilling, shall we say. There are a few more gripes I have with 8XL (most of which are probably nitpicks), but let's leave it at that for now.

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I think I'll actually give that one a shot. It sounds hilarious enough, at any rate. Hopefully, they won't take any pages from DW9's book while making it, but my faith in Atlus is still going strong. They absolutely delivered with Etrian Odyssey Nexus and the original Persona 5, after all.
I actually tried downloading the demo for DW9, to see what the fuss was actually about. It supposedly takes - and I am not kidding - 10. FREAKING. HOURS! For a freaking demo, of all things.
Needless to say, I stopped trying.

I've been having tons of fun with DW8 Empires, at least. DW8XL, too, I suppose, but I found Empires to be more enjoyable, simply because of the character creation and the wacky crap you can do with it. Having almost finished the original RoTK novel (well, the one English translation of it, at any rate), playing through what essentially amounts to an abridged version of that isn't as... fulfilling, shall we say. There are a few more gripes I have with 8XL (most of which are probably nitpicks), but let's leave it at that for now.

Spinoffs can be a mixed bag (with Zelda and FE on the high end, Arslan and Berserk on the low end), but they are always worth checking out if you are a Musuo fan. They represent the real variety in this genre, because Omega Force can't just recycle their existing assets like they do with the mainline games. And these spinoffs always bring something mechanically interesting and thematically appropriate to the table.

Edited by Etheus