Thoughts on the PCC system of Thracia?

Jedi

37 members have voted

1. 1. PCC?

• I like it
    • I don't like it
    • PCC... is that a type of Fastfood joint?
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Would you like to see it return?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

PCC or Pursuit Critical Coefficient, is a system that was in Thracia 776 and only Thracia 776.

In laymans terms on a pursuit attack (second attack) or a counter attack, a characters PCC (which was a hidden value and varied on the character), would times their critical rate by that amount, you can have a PCC of 0-5.

Would you like to see it again? Even if it were a FE hack? Not just an official game, which its return is just as likely as the dismount system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an invisible stat?

I wouldn't like to see it return, personally, if that's the case, as it makes some units objectively better than others. Sure you could argue "But Nexas by that logic growths shouldn't return," but I'm the kind of person who also thinks players should be able to view growth rates after beating the game once.

I'm fine with it. The idea that some units just get more crits than others is interesting. Though I can't say it's better ir worse than the "normal" crit formula.

If it returns it should be visible, though. Call it "critical rating" or something.

I wouldn't like to see it return, personally, if that's the case, as it makes some units objectively better than others.

as do skills or base stats or weapon ranks or any other parameter in the game

it's not the case that having high PCC automatically makes a character good; most of the best characters in FE5 don't have high PCC. the ones that do have guaranteed 100 crit setups that they can use in conjunction with their PCC.

My main issue is a unit having 0 PCC, or 5. The fact that it only applies to the 2nd hit too, makes it needlessly contrived as a mechanic.

The fact that first hit crit is capped (also without telling the player) does not help.

In fact, i think that hidden PCC is much worse than hidden growths, because the blind player can easily deduce that heavily randomized level-ups exist (because the game doesn't tell you how the level up system works afik, so the player will be trying to figure it out), whereas the game essentially lies to you about how crit works (by including a visible crit stat that is tangentially relevant at best), so the blind player is liable to think that the visible crit stat controls, and ignore other evidence as "being lucky".

My main issue is a unit having 0 PCC, or 5.

how is a unit having 5 PCC substantially different from a unit having 4 PCC

three of the best units in the game have 3 PCC, and of the units who have 0 PCC, only shanam is bottom tier (but he's bottom tier because his stats are horrific). based on this sample, there is nothing wrong with having 0 PCC, and having 3 PCC correlates to being a top tier unit.

The fact that it only applies to the 2nd hit too, makes it needlessly contrived as a mechanic.

i don't follow. there are many mechanics that are "needlessly contrived." PCC applying on the first hit would be broken.

Edited by dondon151

I like it. Makes deciding who to use in choking points much more important. I do wish that certain bosses had it or something for additional struggle in an intense game.

Most bosses in FE5 are not really fast enough to consistently double, though, and you wouldn't let units that get doubled by them fight them anyway (except for Xavier, obviously).

It'd be cool if it was brought back, but it'd be more interesting if they made it class based and gave each unit a personal modifier. Thoughts?

Edited by Refa

It'd be cool if it was brought back, but it'd be more interesting if they made it class based and gave each unit a personal modifier. Thoughts?

So example, say Bob the Fighter has 1 Personal PCC and Fighter itself had 2 PCC

It would add up to 3? Or do you mean something different.

I think PCC was generally a good thing because it was a system that allowed for more reliable critical hits on units with good PCC. Of course, this was somewhat undermined by everything else about Thracia being an RNG-fest, with movement stars, single RNs, staves missing, and movement growth.

Why hide it?

Well, growths are already hidden so... -shrugs-

I mean Pokemon hides TONS of its values and no one seems to bat an eyebrow at that.

Edited by Jedi

Well, growths are already hidden so... -shrugs-

I mean Pokemon hides TONS of its values and no one seems to bat an eyebrow at that.

Fire Emblem hints at growths generally. Does it hint at PCC?

Like, the game description of Knights are usually something to the effect of "A Defensively Superior, but very slow, class"

Pokemon hides IVs and EVs and that's just dumb I think

Edited by Elieson

Fire Emblem hints at growths generally. Does it hint at PCC?

Like, the game description of Knights are usually something to the effect of "A Defensively Superior, but very slow, class"

Pokemon hides IVs and EVs and that's just dumb I think

We don't really know, because the only translation we have is pretty piss poor.