Leafy's Collection of Things for a Project

BlueLeafeon

With FEXNA having a public beta release sometime in the near (or not so near) future, I decided to start working on a project that I have had in mind for years but have been unwilling to hack a rom for. It is a game-variant of a story of mine.

LAST UPDATED: Nov 28, 2015

[spoiler=Non Project-Related]

Statsheets of various characters:

47S3Ocd.png

dKNYneA.png

OVguF1m.png

A character from a story concept I had:

N6Lhf2C.png

bVry99a.png

Another character from same story concept:

51Ot6bd.png

[spoiler=Maps]

Triannos Throne Room (Cutscene only)

QaGjv6H.png

Triannos Overworld:

(I really wanted to use WALLS for this, but sadly I do not possess a tileset with both a castle AND wall tiles. ...I think.)

s7EuuRA.png

The Prologue map that you actually play on:

mHAi2db.png

Chapter 1 Map:

ql8uSFY.png

Chapter 2 Map:

2bICbUH.png

Chapter 3 Map:

M1hqVEz.png

Chapter 4 Map:

dis0fU8.png

Chapter 5 Map:

qD985jn.png

Chapter 6 Map:

im1JfNO.png

[spoiler=CHARACTERS]

Ryan the first Lord:

2yhUIdh.pngX2z4J6B.png

Eric the second Lord:

c5lY4pH.png

Molly the Knight:

llKgaJb.pngudMp2eL.png

Rolt the Nomad/Ranger: (Starts as Nomad, promotes to Ranger) because I hate the nomad trooper's sword animation

UN19p8Z.pnguXCqm5G.png

Neila the Cavalier:

PsClroK.pngO552E5x.png

Doran the Monk:

C9EaKdW.png

Kendra the Thief/Assassin (Thief sprite not yet made)

xwBEgcr.pngGmzESnD.gif

[spoiler=Works in Progress]

An attempt to make my own Archer/Sniper animation using Lyn's Blade Lord sprite and a sprite an old friend made for me yeeeeeeears ago:

lHiGJ1g.png

And because this post looks so bland without any pictures outside of spoilers, have some silly little stat screen thingie:

M9N4GGb.png

Edited by BlueLeafeon

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No replies, huh? Ah well.

Comments/critique appreciated on the following: (Face portraits and animations alike)

Some more personalized battle animations:

[spoiler=animated gif]

xwBEgcr.png

GmzESnD.gif

Sadly it seems that Jasc Animation Shop 3 is incapable of saving on Windows 7, so I had to use some online gif maker. :(

[spoiler=big picture]

My main lord:

tAaHfMs.png

lQf5WdL.png

Credit to Bonzai for ripping the original Roy sprites, whoever that might be.

I personally believe that the main lord should have their own animation, but I am not a person capable of customing anything, ESPECIALLY battle animations. SO, this will have to do.

i like the female assassin.

Why is clarence's hair glowing?

the maps seem stiff in the sense that they are all rectangular. It feels like a big grid in most maps. Try being more creative with your maps by having corridors not so straight and generic.

i like the female assassin.

Why is clarence's hair glowing?

the maps seem stiff in the sense that they are all rectangular. It feels like a big grid in most maps. Try being more creative with your maps by having corridors not so straight and generic.

And...Clarence's hair is glowing because he's of a unique (or not) species I came up with, whose hair glows like that.

I'm guessing the maps you're mentioning are indoors-only? If so, is this one any better?

uFmaf2p.png

single space chokepoint maps are a buttpain

But but but...I did that to make it less griddy! And the player is supposed to split their army up this chapter!

... *remembers that one chapter in FE8*

.... Okay, FIEN! They ARE a pain lol.

FZbULKL.png

I also figured out that Yeti's map creator has different palettes to its tilesets, so yay for that at least. The former palette didn't feel dark enough for this to be the dark kingdom's castle. lol Now to go back and edit my previous maps...

I like the village map, Cetlage. I can imagine having to visit houses, to get the necessary items, in order to fend off the invading enemies (slayer and reaver weapons, etc.). The point is to remember which house gives what weapon so that the player gains the upper hand in the battle. The enemies would be higher levels than the player army.

When designing these maps for your project, do you plan how the level will play out?

I like the map, but a few errors

CkAh7t9.png The ground here should be shaded.

iuJsZTg.png Most of the wall tiles next to pillars were shaded, but you forgot a few.

agt02AO.png Missed a ground shading tile here.

a4u6YCA.pngThat middle wall tile should be shaded. http://i.imgur.com/hFb4CuE.pngthe tiles to use are circled.

brFz4L7.png This top pillar is not properly shaded, while the bottom one is. You missed some shading on a few others on this type of ground.

I also /think/ there's a height error involving the top room and the right hallway but I just woke up and can't figure it out. >.<

I like the map, but a few errors

CkAh7t9.png The ground here should be shaded.

iuJsZTg.png Most of the wall tiles next to pillars were shaded, but you forgot a few.

agt02AO.png Missed a ground shading tile here.

a4u6YCA.pngThat middle wall tile should be shaded. http://i.imgur.com/hFb4CuE.pngthe tiles to use are circled.

brFz4L7.png This top pillar is not properly shaded, while the bottom one is. You missed some shading on a few others on this type of ground.

I also /think/ there's a height error involving the top room and the right hallway but I just woke up and can't figure it out. >.<

All right, thank you for the tips!

For the shading on the gravel-type floor, I have a REALLY hard time finding that corner-shaded tile. I wish these map creators had a zoom feature on the tiles themselves instead of the maps, because that's where I really need it. I think I found the corner-shaded tile but couldn't actually tell if it made any difference, hence the lack of shading on the pillars' bottom halves.

You're absolutely correct about level issues--looks like I forgot to fill in the wall on one part of the right hallway.

Should be fixed.

BswMwPu.png

EDIT: Okay, I see another lack of a shading wall tile in the room next to the treasure chests. I fixed it in the actual file, but am too lazy to upload the updated image.

When designing these maps for your project, do you plan how the level will play out?

I wasn't at first, because I was just getting back into mapping, but I've been doing it more recently. I do intend on those houses to give valuable info/items, and enemy reinforcements may arrive from other houses as the battle progresses, which might just use those items. I'm probably going to remake the map to have a less perfect-square shape, as per a former critique, but that'll come at a later date. (I still need to revamp the first few chapter maps.)

Edited by MagicLeafy

I totally see what you mean about the Sacae map, the waterfalls would add more charm. I think it's a cute map, I think you were trying to make it into either a seize map or kill boss but I think it would make for a cool defend map just by adding a few breakable walls here and there. I think that one is my favorite out of your current maps.

Also the newest map looks very regal I think it there are a few shading issues, like on the lower right grass area; the one below the window wall.

^ Okay, thanks. I fixed that as well. Not sure why it went unfixed for so long lol. I knew it was there, but kept forgetting about it, I guess.

sblU191.png

My new prologue map, since I heard that the minimum size was 20x12 for FEXNA. I...didn't really have any particular goal for this chapter, except that trees were to play an important role for the player's units, because there will only be three, and they will be outnumbered. (There will also be no Jagen character. Heck with traditional Fire Emblem beginnings!)

Edited by MagicLeafy

That's a cool map!

uw9Vxbp.png

^I recommend replacing that tile in the red box, because I think your units won't be able to access that area.

Yeah, I wondered about that myself after I got done uploading it and everything. Thank you for confirming it though.

I plan to dab in some more face sprites later today, but for now...another map I whipped up, as a part 2 of the former castle map:

kfPPCFZ.png

Can I just say that I really hate how the sideways staircase tiles do not match up well at all?

As with the former map, the inaccessable areas in the map are going to be home to archers/spellcasters whose only purpose will be to annoy the player to death. The upper right corner will be a prison, home to a couple of NPCs whom you will have to hurry and save.

Edited by MagicLeafy

All right, I promised face sprites, and here they are!

Darren, the prince of the enemy kingdom, Evoid:

DkizWCR.png

I have been told he looks squished but unfortunately my critique-r poofed before they could tell me how to fix it. He's supposed to look somewhat pale/sickly, but I'm not sure if I succeeded lol.

Eric, the Triannos King:

SJrYnHS.png

I have a problem with this guy. He's SUPPOSED to be an expy of Eliwood. Unfortunately, that means he looks EXACTLY like Eliwood. I should probably redesign him or something.

and

[spoiler=MAP!]

So I started this off trying to make a recreation of the Triannos throne room in my story, but then I was like MY SIMPLISTIC DESIGNS DO NOT MAKE GOOD FE MAPS. LET'S WING IT! And so...I give you the new Triannos castle map:

Zrp5Eqi.png

Edited by MagicLeafy

@Eliwood in new clothes

Yeah. You pretty much nailed the issue here. He doesn't look different enough from Eliwood atm. Changing the blue and red of his color scheme would be a step in the right direction, as well as tweaking some of the facial features/hair style to be less reminiscent.

@squished guy

His proportions are a bit off atm. His face is much larger than his body. And also the body is not very broad/neck is a lil short as well perhaps?

Anyways... You seem to be doing pretty good in general... keep it up. Try different techniques as well to spice up some of the mugs, we have a number of great tutorials and resources in the Spriters Resource pinned thread for that.

@Eliwood in new clothes

Yeah. You pretty much nailed the issue here. He doesn't look different enough from Eliwood atm. Changing the blue and red of his color scheme would be a step in the right direction, as well as tweaking some of the facial features/hair style to be less reminiscent.

@squished guy

His proportions are a bit off atm. His face is much larger than his body. And also the body is not very broad/neck is a lil short as well perhaps?

I actually did change Eric's eyes and gave him a frown, but that just wasn't enough lol.

As for Darren, I have no idea what you're talking about when you say his head is larger than his body. However, I did make his neck a pixel taller, and also recolored him because he simply shared too many colors and everything was blending in:

XBxE83P.png

I've been told he still looks "squat" but I'm honestly beginning to think it's because he uses Hawken's(?) head, which is tilted downward in depression.

try giving eric another hair-do. And splice a new jawline over the existing one. Changing jawlines works wonders on making characters look unique in my experience

I never thought of changing the jawline, but that sounds simple and awesome. A lot easier than changing the hairdo. Which is what I ended up doing for Eric:

H9wRtpv.png

Anyways... You seem to be doing pretty good in general... keep it up. Try different techniques as well to spice up some of the mugs, we have a number of great tutorials and resources in the Spriters Resource pinned thread for that.

Thanks! Not sure what techniques you're talking about, but I have checked out the tutorial section. (And felt somewhat disappointed there's no battle sprite tutorial lol)

Edited by MagicLeafy

And now for something completely different:

0oZdvVM.png

I am trying my hand at making my own battle sprite. I would say I'm customing it, but I'm really just using Lyn's Blade Lord sprite to help animate my own. Credits go to bonestorm99 for making the original battle sprite.

...Is there a tutorial on blur frames anywhere? I just can't seem to make that second frame look proper in an animation. :(

Edited by MagicLeafy

ooooh

CqomQFJ.png

on mappy, you can double left click a block to bring this up

That's not what I'm talking about. XD

llKgaJb.png

0SZgXFA.png

Two more characters created for my eventual fan game. Knight and Cavalier respectively. If anyone sees any errors, let me know.

I think that the second girl could use a different mouth-piece because it looks too straight for the way her face is pointing.

I do really like the way you set her up though, the combination of Franz + Yuno's hair looks good.

I agree completely, but I cannot for the life of me find a mouth that will work. I can't use the mouth that goes with the head I used because it's a pair of bright red lips, and that goes against the look I'm going for, lol. It doesn't help that I want her to look like she's frowning, not smiling.

So I basically winged it and tried to fix her mouth on my own. It looks stupid, IMO, but I can't tell which is worse: the straight mouth, or this. lol

k9Ahy9E.png

Edited by MagicLeafy

I agree completely, but I cannot for the life of me find a mouth that will work. I can't use the mouth that goes with the head I used because it's a pair of bright red lips, and that goes against the look I'm going for, lol. It doesn't help that I want her to look like she's frowning, not smiling.

So I basically winged it and tried to fix her mouth on my own. It looks stupid, IMO, but I can't tell which is worse: the straight mouth, or this. lol

k9Ahy9E.png

You have the right idea, but make the near side of the mouth longer. (You want me to throw pixels on it or no?)

Edited by L95

You have the right idea, but make the near side of the mouth longer. (You want me to throw pixels on it or no?)

A friend patched the sprite up for me after I tried like a bazillion times to get it right lol.

PsClroK.png

Speaking of face portraits, though, I made two more ugly ones this morning:

ojP3CYQ.pngYPHXwYT.png

Meet Doran the monk and Rolt the ranger.

Not particularly fond of these, to be honest, and the monk was literally me throwing random crap together. Comments/critique welcome on 'em.

Edited by MagicLeafy