Inserting Map Sprite

Squeegee

So I followed Arch's tutorial for importing map sprites, but the screen turns black and squeaks when the halberdier map sprite loads. I've tried at least 7 times and it's still the same problem. Neither standing nor moving is working; they both make the squeaks and crash right on loading. I attached screenshots of my nightmare pointers, GBAGE parts, and the original images. I made sure not to do something like importing palettes and stuff, so I have no idea what is wrong.

post-17831-0-22650800-1448149568_thumb.png

post-17831-0-23437100-1448149569.png

post-17831-0-35083700-1448149888_thumb.png

post-17831-0-87431000-1448149889_thumb.png

post-17831-0-06189100-1448149892_thumb.png

post-17831-0-47222500-1448149894_thumb.png

to insert a compressed graphic into free space, go to the offset of the original (compressed) graphic first.

when you click on the "insert bitmap", there should be a button that reads "target offset" or "write graphics to?" or something of the sort. change that to, well, change where the graphics are written to. in this case, you'd change that from the offset of your old graphic to the offset of your free space

the reason it does this (although i disagree with the reasoning) is that images can be compressed in a variety of different ways between games; within a single ROM things are usually consistent but as GBAGE is meant to be a general graphic utility it has no way of knowing ahead of time what compression format to use when you want to insert a "compressed" graphic. to remedy that, it only allows you to compress->insert a graphic while looking at an image that is similarly compressed (as then you can infer the format)

Edited by CT075

to insert a compressed graphic into free space, go to the offset of the original (compressed) graphic first.

when you click on the "insert bitmap", there should be a button that reads "target offset" or "write graphics to?" or something of the sort. change that to, well, change where the graphics are written to. in this case, you'd change that from the offset of your old graphic to the offset of your free space

the reason it does this (although i disagree with the reasoning) is that images can be compressed in a variety of different ways between games; within a single ROM things are usually consistent but as GBAGE is meant to be a general graphic utility it has no way of knowing ahead of time what compression format to use when you want to insert a "compressed" graphic. to remedy that, it only allows you to compress->insert a graphic while looking at an image that is similarly compressed (as then you can infer the format)

Ah, there's a better solution than what I did (replaced the original graphic instead of inserting to free space).

Edited by Arjun